3800 L36 oil pump need priming? by aaronkoch
Started on: 04-08-2011 10:11 PM
Replies: 3
Last post by: 1fatcat on 04-10-2011 11:10 AM
aaronkoch

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2011 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochDirect Link to This Post
So, I'm in the final stages of my 3800 swap (link in sig), and the engine starts and runs. It's a fresh rebuild, and done by a reputable source. I have only run the engine a few seconds at a time due to not having an exhaust on it yet, and it's super loud. Today, I got around to installing the '88 fiero oil pressure sender, to replace the incorrect and original L36 one. I couldn't get a wrench in there to get the sender off, so I just pulled off the oil filter adapter to make my life easier.

The inside of the adapter is bone dry. No oil. I've run the motor in 15 seconds bursts several times, and I would have expected the oil pump to prime by now. I spoke with the builder, who assured me the pickup tube is on correctly, and the pump is good. What's the best way to determine the root cause? Is there a requirement to pre-prime the 3800 pumps?

He wasn't worried too much about my previous starts, as there's plenty of assembly lube in the engine, but I need to figure this out and don't want to drop the engine out again unless I have to.

Edited to note that yes, it's full of oil.

One other thing: The oil pressure spring and piston were not present (my fault, I put on the adapter). Would that keep the pump from self-priming?

My plan is to hit pull & save and go get a pressure valve and spring, then pre-fill the adapter through the pressure sender hole, and try spinning the engine without spark plugs in and watching the oil pressure gauge.

Any info you 3800 gurus have on this topic would be really appreciated. If it comes down to it, I can re-pull the cradle, and pop off the crank pully and timing chain cover, but I'd like it if that's my last resort...

------------------

Currently in the middle of my 88 + 3800NA swap

[This message has been edited by aaronkoch (edited 04-08-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
Before you do anything else, you should get the oil pressure regulator piston and spring and install it into your engine. The spring goes in first then the piston (spring goes inside hollow side of piston). Make sure you lube up the piston with motor oil before installing it so it can move freely in the bore. If you can squirt some oil inside of the piston bore before installing the spring and piston that would be a good idea as well.

After you reinstall the oil filter adapter, you're probably going to need to prime the oil pump. Here's what you'll need to do:

You'll need to get a hose nipple with the proper size pipe threads (should be 1/4 NPT) and install it in place of the oil pressure sender. You'll then need to get a clear (plastic) hose and attach it to this nipple and run it up to a funnel. Remove the oil filter and cut off a piece of plastic wire tie. What you need to do with this wire tie is push it in one of the smaller holes surrounding the large center hole of the filter. The oil filters sold for the 3800 have an anti-drainback valve (usually a rubber flap) inside that prevents oil from moving backwards thru the filter. For the purpose of priming the engine, you'll need to put something in the filter to allow oil to flow backwards thru it. Install the plastic wire tie far enough it won't get caught on the adapter housing when you install it but not too far so you can pull it out after you are done priming the engine (don't worry if the tie gets inside the filter and you can't get it out - the filter media will stop it from getting into the engine). Fill the oil filter with oil. Reinstall the filter (with the wire tie in it - holding the drainback valve open).

Fill your clear plastic tube up with oil and also fill the funnel about 1/2 way. Make sure the ignition key is OFF and pull all of the spark plugs out. Using a wrench or socket, rotate the crankshaft counter-clockwise, slowly. Watch the oil level in the funnel and tube. It should drop as you rotate the crank counter-clockwise. Keep rotating the crank and filling the tube/funnel with oil until you get about a pint or so of oil to go into the engine. Once you get to that amount, remove the funnel and tube and reinstall your oil pressure sending unit.

Unplug all the injectors and remove all of the spark plugs (if you haven't done so already). Make sure the oil level in the engine is full. Crank the engine over with the starter (no longer than 15 seconds at a time, so you don't overheat the starter) until you get oil pressure indicated on the gauge. As soon as you get oil pressure - stop. Remove the oil filter and pull out the plastic wire tie you previously installed. Refill the filter with oil if it isn't still full, and reinstall the filter. Crank the engine over again with the starter and verify you still have oil pressure. If so, stop. Check the oil level and make sure it is full. If so, reinstall your spark plugs and plug your injectors back in. At this point you should be ready to run the engine.

Since this is a fresh rebuild, I suggest you change the oil and filter at the following increments:

-After the first warm-up cycle.
-Then again after the first 100 miles or 2 hours of engine operation.
-Then again after the next 500 miles. (Then after this you can change it every 2500-3000 miles).

To some people this might sound excessive, but it is best to get all of the pre-lube and break-in debris out of the engine as soon as possible.

I suggest using nothing but quality conventional motor oil for the first 10,000 miles. Use of synthetics too early can result in the engine not getting properly broken-in.

-ryan

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Ryan.

I went to Pull & Save and pulled an oil filter adapter off of a 3800 to get the valve and spring, and I'll clean 'em up and try as you said. I just seems like for all the things you think of when doing a swap, it's the $1 part you forget all about that will kick your butt..

------------------

Currently in the middle of my 88 + 3800NA swap

1fatcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fatcatSend a Private Message to 1fatcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aaronkoch:
I've run the motor in 15 seconds bursts several times, and I would have expected the oil pump to prime by now.

I would have expected it to be primed too by now. The pump on this engine is driven off the crankshaft and is located inside the front timing chain cover. I don't know what would happen if the by-pass spring and piston are missing? I would definately get those in before anything else. Did you or the builder have any issues getting the front crank balancer on? Did the guts of the pump get put back in the chain cover? Oil pick up tube?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock