Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  300zx digital gauge cluster conversion ?...

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

300zx digital gauge cluster conversion ?... by MaxCubes
Started on: 04-21-2011 12:59 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Isolde on 04-26-2011 09:54 AM
MaxCubes

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post
So I found an '85 300zx turbo in the junkyard with the digital gauge cluster....

Is this a do-able conversion ?? ..... I was hoping to at least use the main rev-tachometer portion of this cluster
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Isolde

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
I've been living with this display. I'm daily-driving an '85 300ZX with this display, as my commuter. The graph waves swelling up with greater throttle opening is the best part. I'd say it is worth having. But the rest of it is nothing special, I'd rather have an analog tachometer, and the speedometer too, because this one is impossible to read 2/3 of the time. Well, at least during daylight hours.
I doubt it'd be worth the hassle. The Nissan wiring is hell. You'd have to defeat most of the idiot lights, probably by removing bulbs. You sure don't want to use it if you have to get the Nissan computer and the Nissan senders / sensors. I can tell you that this is NOT an entry-level proposal. You better be accomplished at automotive electrical.
Sure you can find everything at the salvage yard for cheap, but there must be easier alternatives.
If you have a complete, running, but maybe T-boned or rear-ended totalled car to grab from, that may be easiest.
If you go ahead with it, I'll help however I can. I'm expecting to retire this Nissan in a couple of months, anyway.
Hockaday may have this same option in his '87 300ZX, so he may be able to help also.
Also look at www.z31.com and maybe hybridz.org
kikinz24

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kikinz24Send a Private Message to kikinz24Direct Link to This Post
the 88 and 89 cavalier z24s came with digital clusters, and should be decently easy to wire up., i ppersonaly swappped a digi cluster for a analog in my 89 when the fuel lights died out and it jus plugged right in. i would think it is remotly close to the fiero
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2011 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post
Yea ... very cool how it swells based on throttle input ( I was watching a video of it on YouTube )

.... It looks like this is going to be beyond my electrical skills to swap this in a fiero

..... Is there not some kind of aftermarket setup similar to this available somewhere???
etofun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2011 04:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for etofunSend a Private Message to etofunDirect Link to This Post
there are, but they are insanely expensive.
timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2011 06:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by etofun:

there are, but they are insanely expensive.

Um no, the fiero digital cluster setup is dirt cheap compared to what other car enthusiasts pay. Go and price a setup from dakota digital for a camaro or other car... then the $599.00 for the Fiero digital dash conversion kit.

The fiero's kit is cheap. In fact everything on the fiero is dirt cheap compared to what other classic cars pay for their parts. Ask a Delorean guy what he pays for parts.

http://www.tomsdigitalelectronics.com/ for the only easy to install digital dash option for the fiero.
Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2011 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
$600 is still 10x the cost of a salvage yard setup off a 300ZX or an '88-'89 Cavalier Z24.
For $600, I'd expect to be able to get a C4 'vette digital display.
The mid-'80s Berlinetta-trim Camaros had a digital display option, and so did the late-'80s Trans Am GTAs
Didn't some Grand Prixs also have one?

[This message has been edited by Isolde (edited 04-26-2011).]

kikinz24

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2011 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kikinz24Send a Private Message to kikinz24Direct Link to This Post
yes early 90s gp se coupes had digi clusters and 88-90 buick regal gs had digi clusters also, my 88 regal one was nice but was alot longer than the fiero dash. IMO digital clusters arent as trusty ive had a few fail....
Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2011 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
I gotta say my Nissan cluster is proving good, this car is very close to a quarter million miles. The oil pressure usually reads nil, but that seems to be the sender, because it is at least showing that there's "no" pressure, which obviously isn't true, because it happily pulls 6000 rpm with no funny noises, and does so every day.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock