High Volume Oil Pump by jconnor34
Started on: 04-29-2011 11:46 AM
Replies: 12
Last post by: Fierobsessed on 05-01-2011 09:11 PM
jconnor34

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2011 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jconnor34Send a Private Message to jconnor34Direct Link to This Post
Conventional Fiero wisdom seems to agree that significant flaw with 2.8s is oiling? That being said, worth the time and dollars to install high volume oil pump from Fiero Store. This engine is mildly modified; Crane cam, rocker roller arms, etc. What do you guys think?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2011 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
I put a HV from my parts store in my 3.4. Oil pressure is great. Runs 40 at idle.
Some said it would hurt gas mileage but I still get 35mpg hwy with a 4sp. (85GT)
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2011 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
I always use high volumn pumps on builds and rebuilds.
Not high pressure.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2011 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post
The oiling flaw in the earlier (pre-87/88) V6 engines has very little to do with the oil pump. Rather, the problem is with the size and layout of the oil galleries in the engine block itself. If you have adequate oil pressure now and your car is primarily driven on the street, you probably won't gain anything by installing a high-volume oil pump.

On the other hand, a high-volume pump will take more power to drive, which means a higher load on the distributor drive gear. If you had adequate oil pressure before, all of the additional flow from a high-volume pump is just going to be dumped through the pressure regulator bypass valve.

My 3.1 V6 (same block as the later, "improved" 2.8s) has about 30,000 miles on it. It has a standard oil pump in it, and using 5W30 synthetic motor oil the pressure at idle rpm is ~50 psi cold and ~35 psi hot. At anything above about 1200-1500 rpm the oil pressure is fully regulated at ~65 psi cold and ~50 psi hot. A high-volume oil pump would not improve anything for my engine. YMMV.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 04-30-2011).]

hercimer01

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2011 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Direct Link to This Post
I have one in my 3.4 pr swap and it just seemed comon sense to do it at the time. It runs about 80 PSI though and it has left wondering is that good?

------------------
Red 88 Formula 3.4 pr 4 speed automatic
Black 86 GT 3800 SC automatic swap in progress

Racing_Master

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2011 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racing_MasterSend a Private Message to Racing_MasterDirect Link to This Post
Marvin is right. High Volume oil pumps are not needed unless you have an upgraded engine (very upgraded) and larger oil passages. The problem lies in the amount of load it puts on your distributor drive gear. It will wear out the drive gear a lot faster, put excess load on it, and can be bad for the engine. When I had drive gears being ate, everyone I talked to asked about the oil pump.

Also, 80psi is TOO HIGH! its okay under first start, but 80 constantly is too high. you want half that when at operating temperature. I have seen high oil pressure exploding cheaper oil filters before... just boom and oil goes everywhere. Though one time I saw that it was with a car that got straight 30 instead of 5W-30, and its oil pressure on start was 180psi (yes, 180), because someone though it would be intelligent to fix a spun bearing with heavy oil. 80PSI shouldnt blow the filter, but it will put lots of strain on your distributor drive gear. the more PSI, the harder your engine has to push the oil.

bottom line:
You most likely never need a high volume oil pump. Only install one if you have larger oil passages, or some slack in your parts, and you need the extra volume to raise pressure. it harms stock engines more than it helps, and you wont notice the harm right off the bat, it will be very noticeable in the long run.
jconnor34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2011 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jconnor34Send a Private Message to jconnor34Direct Link to This Post
Got it.
Thanks guys.
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2011 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Direct Link to This Post
Thanks too. It does drop down to 50-60 after its warmed up.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2011 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
A little history on the high volume oil pump -

Back in the 50's and 60's you noticed a significant drop in oil pressure at about 80,000 miles due to increased bearing clearances due to wear. An easy way to boost pressure and keep the car going was the high volume oil pump. More flow - higher pressure - no need to buy a new car or have major work done.

Modern engine design leans more toward flow than pressure - the idea is to have the oil form a "hydraulic wedge" in the bearing/journal clearance to prevent metal to metal contact. The HV pump does this well - if your bearing clearances are looser than desired.

Bottom line - if your bearings are within tolerance, you don't need it and may well cause other problems, as several of our previous commentors have stated.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2011 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
If you have an external filter and external cooler then a HV pump will help there.
87GreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2011 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GreenGTSend a Private Message to 87GreenGTDirect Link to This Post
i just put a melling high volume in mine idle is about 45psi and at 2500 rpm its around 85-90psi
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2011 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
My 3.4 V6 crate engine came with a beefed-up oil pump. When I installed the engine, I first ran it on 10w40. But oil pressure at startup was off the scale (it pegged the needle). After the engine warmed up, it would drop to 60-70 PSI at idle. No kidding.

Since then, I have experimented with lighter weight oils. I first switched to 10w30, which didn't seem to make much difference. Then I stepped down to 5w20. That helped a bit. Cold oil pressure is still around 80 PSI. But after the engine warms up, it drops to around 40 PSI at idle. I'm actually considering stepping down to 0w20 next.

This is a GM crate engine that came with this oil pump from the factory. Pretty crazy stuff.
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2011 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
I made the mistake of putting a high volume oil pump in my van. I eat through distributor gears. My oil pressure is pretty high all the time. It also didn't help that my cam is a billet steel roller cam, which defeats the cast Iron distributor gears. Other steel based gears haven't fared much better either. The only plus side is that I know my bearings will be well lubricated, just so long as the distributor gear particles don't kill them.

So, I say High Volume pumps are overrated, And in some cases a very bad thing. They do put a little more load on the engine, but it's more of a part stress then it is parasitic load.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock