Started on: 05-13-2011 05:59 PM
Replies: 42
Last post by: buildamonster on 08-26-2011 06:09 PM
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2011 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post
I would send those failed pump pics to the TI Automotive people you were talking to.

Have you considered dropping a plastic fuel cell temporarily to see if that changes anything?

That GasTankRenu USA place up there might be able to hook you up with coatings for the inside of your tank if they're still in business. In Saginaw, IIRC.
IP: Logged
LZeppelin513

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2011 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeppelin513Send a Private Message to LZeppelin513Direct Link to This Post
If you have a good ground to the fuel pump then you won't be electroplating. Although ethanol is more conductive than octane, it is an insulator compared to copper wire. Your fuel solution will have too much resistance compared to a good ground, so the electrons will travel back through the ground, not the fuel tank.

What is more likely happening is water dissolving in ethanol which leads to corrosion. Polar alcohols readily dissolve polar water. A big organic like octane does not. Even if your tank, lines, everything is in good shape, water will still diffuse into the tank.

First make sure water isn't getting into the tank from a leak, then try sealing the inside of the tank, don't even mess with isolating it. If you find a quality product that seals and is not soluble in alcohol/gas and compatible you should solve your problem. (Edit: if the product fails then you have even bigger problems.) Better yet, get a composite tank like others have suggested. Perhaps if fiberglass resin is completely non soluble in your fuel mixture, you could try making a fiberglass tank, you would already have your mold...just an idea.

[This message has been edited by LZeppelin513 (edited 08-25-2011).]

buildamonster

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2011 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buildamonsterSend a Private Message to buildamonsterDirect Link to This Post

I have used this on my fuel tank with e85, on and inside a oil pan, on frame coating. I would use it on wheaties if i could. It's not cheap but best stuff in the world hands down. You can get it at summit racing. It stick like no ones business and as close to liquide titanium as anyting. I can't say enough about how good this stuff is. If only I owned the company that makes it i would be rich !
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock