85 87 steering rack rebuild by outlawfiero17
Started on: 09-04-2011 06:30 PM
Replies: 3
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 09-04-2011 08:26 PM
outlawfiero17

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2011 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for outlawfiero17Send a Private Message to outlawfiero17Direct Link to This Post
How hard is it to rebuild a rack? Anyone have a step by step? Or perhaps someone has a known good rack they would like to sell for a reasonable price?

I just got my car back on the road and some jask@$$ cut me off and forced me onto a curb....not my rack which was already on its way out is now done for.

And yes I know its the rack I've already checked everything....it feels like the bushing is completely gone now. I can make the inner tie rod move really easily in a rotating manner....I can feel its moving the center bar thing.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2011 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post
Its quite straightforward, I did mine 2-3 months ago- mine fought me a good amount like any other part on my fiero haha. I'll include a link to my thread where I ran into a hiccup- I had a hell of a time getting the stock bushing back out. Theres some good tips in there and a few pics, pretty much do exactly as the service manual states. Make sure to stake the inner tie rod ends, be careful to set the pinion gear so the rack is centered before installation. Use plenty of grease, the bearings inside (2 of them which the pinion shaft rides in) you shouldn't have to touch unless they are badly corroded. If your damper is shot now would be a great time to replace it. Be careful when removing the rack from the crossmember, those bolts rust/ seize easily so take care to use a LOT of PB blaster and try not to snap any like my buddy did when he was unscrewing then.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/116902.html

Here is also a useful step by step guide:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/110019.html

Tom.

[This message has been edited by nitroheadz28 (edited 09-04-2011).]

nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2011 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post

nitroheadz28

4774 posts
Member since Mar 2010
Double post

[This message has been edited by nitroheadz28 (edited 09-04-2011).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2011 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
The rack is easy to rebuild but it requires a complete disassembly. You can easily remove the old rack bushing once the shaft is out. Use an extra long breaker bar with a socket on the end and tap the bushing out with a hammer or use a length of pipe and tap accordingly.
I highly recommend rebuilding using Rodney Dickmans steering rack bushing. The fit is perfect and there is no slop what-so-ever.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, ZZP Intercooler, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock