snake oil?? blue devil head gasket sealant by 84candyorangeduke
Started on: 05-05-2012 08:05 AM
Replies: 12
Last post by: weaselbeak on 05-07-2012 06:23 PM
84candyorangeduke

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2012 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84candyorangedukeSend a Private Message to 84candyorangedukeDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone here tried the blue devil head gasket sealant? I have watched numerous vids stating how amazing this stuff is I have a 95 Z-28 thats has a popped head gasket and was thinking of trying this out so whats everyones thoughts?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2012 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigDirect Link to This Post
TRY IT! You got nothing to lose except your money and we have your experience to gain!
nyranger6830

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2012 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nyranger6830Send a Private Message to nyranger6830Direct Link to This Post
NOT SNAKE OIL! I REPEAT....NOT!! I used on my GT as per the instructions and has been awesome ever since! Like everyone says about the product, you have to do exactly what the instructions say and youll be good to go!

I absolutly recommend!

Tony

------------------
Fieros......Gotta Love Em!

Dawn: My 86 GT!

NEED PARTS? I GOT EM!!

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2012 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoDirect Link to This Post
what "kind" of Head gasket ??? Are you using "steel shim" gasket? Most manufactures tell you in the instructions, in BIG letters, to INSTALL DRY. In the old days, we used to use sealer, Usually permarex. but not for the last 25-30 years.
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2012 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

what "kind" of Head gasket ??? Are you using "steel shim" gasket? Most manufactures tell you in the instructions, in BIG letters, to INSTALL DRY. In the old days, we used to use sealer, Usually permarex. but not for the last 25-30 years.

Do a google search on blue devil, its an additive you put into the coolant system which seals the leak. Lots of positive reviews on it.
crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2012 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungDirect Link to This Post
On the steel shim gasket, I always sprayed mine with a thin coat of aluminum paint.
On the composition gasket I still use permatex aviation form a gasket. I bought a pint of it back in 1976 and I still have half of it left. You use it in very thin coats.
But technology changes, blue devil is the new Bars leak I have always used on my engines... Before Bars leak, we used sodium silicate or water glass as it was known as. Actually. water glass was very good at sealing blocks and gaskets, but it was time consuming, as you needed to let it air dry after running it in the engine till it got up to temp. That took a day or two to do. I had a friend that would hook up a hair dryer (old style, not a blow dryer) to speed up the cure.
You can always try new things, and see if it works or not, if not, correct it and try again with proven products.
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2012 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakDirect Link to This Post
I have always used a coat of good old Aviation gasket sealer on both sides of head gaskets of any type. Even the Fel-Pro ones. I'll let you know if I lose one. I've seen guys use furnace paint. It's tough to screw up a sealer if the block and heads are flat.
ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2012 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post
is it better then barrs leak [ wallnut shells] ?
kikinz24

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2012 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kikinz24Send a Private Message to kikinz24Direct Link to This Post
I've used blue devil on a 95 grand prix with a 3100 and it worked.great. drove the car.another 2500 miles then sold the car the kid drove the hell out of that thing and it still held up. He ended up wrapping it around a tree one night a good year and a half after I sold it to him. I asked if he ever had any issues with the motor after I sold it and he said nope it ran.like a champ
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2012 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
High performance engines ive had done were 'O' ringed in addition to quality gaskets. I never had one of those fail.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 570
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2012 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Use any gasket sealant with Fel-Pro's head gaskets, Printoseal or not, the sealant can cause problems select.
Fel-Pro instructions said install dry, they mean it.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 05-07-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2012 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Ill totally agree with that. On ONE engine for my Tbird I raced, I wanted to be sure the pan seals and gaskets didnt leak and we put sealant on them. Within an hour of startup, the gaskets were sliding out of the joint. Tightening the bolts only made it worse. Had to pull the pan back off, clean the surfaces and put new gaskets on with no sealant and no more leaks. Since head gaskets are 'hard', i wouldnt see that as a problem though. I just learned if it dont SAY to use a sealant...DONT.
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2012 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Use any gasket sealant with Fel-Pro's head gaskets, Printoseal or not, the sealant can cause problems select.
Fel-Pro instructions said install dry, they mean it.

Maybe, but untill I see it, no. And I'm a long way from young.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock