clutch pedal bending by 84se2m4
Started on: 05-28-2012 05:24 PM
Replies: 19
Last post by: Arns85GT on 06-03-2012 09:04 PM
84se2m4

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2012 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84se2m4Send a Private Message to 84se2m4Direct Link to This Post
so i just got my 3800 fiero done, hard to get in second. I have to slam the shifter with a vengence to get it to stay there otherwise it grinds. Im assuming its my clutch pedal, maybe 1/8 higher than the brake. It goes into 1st and reverse perfect and 3rd and 4th are non existent. I notice all the clutch pedals in the earlier years bend at the steel upper part. The later years dont but this doesnt make any sence because the part that bends is still steel and all they changed to aluminum was the part that doesnt... any ideas
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2012 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
That sounds like cable adjustment to me. If it was a clutch pedal all gears would be affected.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 05-28-2012).]

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2012 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Your fix is a two part fix. 1st thing is that your clutch pedal is aluminum. Yes it bends. Second thing is the eyelet for the banjo gets worn down. It gets sloppy. Sloppy banjo will mean you don't fully release.

So, you get the Fierostore steel clutch replacement. You also order Rodney's adjustable banjo.

When you get them installed, which is a bit of a pain, (you will likely want to remove the drivers seat) you need to adjust your banjo. Essentially you want the slop taken out of the pedal, but also the takeup taken out of the slave piston.

When it is all together and you are sure the line is air free, use a long piece of wood like a broom handle to depress your clutch while you watch your slave piston. It should move absolutely as you press the pedal down. No take up at all. It should be instant. This should clear you up. Also, put Synchromesh in your tranny. That is the single biggest improvement over stock.

Good luck

Arn

------------------

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2012 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

That sounds like cable adjustment to me. If it was a clutch pedal all gears would be affected.

As stated - perform the cable adjustment proceedure first.

You can check the clutch pedal if it is bent - the part that bends is the U shaped section that is rivetted onto the pedal part on the 1 side with the other side of the U connects to the clutch master via the banjo link. The U bends at the bend closest to the pedal part - the 2 flat parts are 'twisted' apart. Don't confuse this with the bend in the pedal shaft part - that has a factory bend and twist to it to it.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2012 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

This picture I took a couple of years ago shows where the clutch pedal bends. It's not the arm that goes down to the rubber pad that bends (any more than it was originally bent).

Originally posted by Patrick in This thread:

Here's the two pedals I was dealing with today. You can see that with the clutch pedal arms parallel to each other, the rest of the geometry is pretty screwed up.

84se2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2012 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84se2m4Send a Private Message to 84se2m4Direct Link to This Post
ok so im going to order a pedal and a banjo. What size banjo from rodney matches the pedal sold by TFS>
Thanks!
84se2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2012 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84se2m4Send a Private Message to 84se2m4Direct Link to This Post
I need to know if the fiero store clutch pedal pin is of the older style or the later style. I think it fit into my 84 with no bushing but i would like to know for peace of mind.

please help
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2012 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2012 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84se2m4:

I need to know if the fiero store clutch pedal pin is of the older style or the later style. I think it fit into my 84 with no bushing but i would like to know for peace of mind.

please help

Call the Fiero Store and tell them your year and ask for the right one.

Arn

BTW the aluminum clutch pedal can actually break off from stress over time. It happened to me.

[This message has been edited by Arns85GT (edited 05-30-2012).]

84se2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2012 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84se2m4Send a Private Message to 84se2m4Direct Link to This Post
So I messed with my clutch today, being generous my pedal is maybe a quarter inch higher than the brake. I can push the pedal about 3/4 to 1 inch before the slave does anything. I ordered an adjustable slave and have a TFS pedal here to test with from my other fiero. So i should install the pedal, bleed the system and adjust the banjo to the point where the second I start pushing the clutch pedal I should see action from the slave?
BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2012 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Direct Link to This Post
Please excuse my ignorance, but what year did they change to the stronger clutch pedal. I have not had a problem with mine, but I have not had mine for very long. By the way I have an 86 GT with a 5 speed.
PFF
System Bot
84se2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2012 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84se2m4Send a Private Message to 84se2m4Direct Link to This Post
kkk so scope this

SO! The part that bends on all pedals is not the aluminum clutch arm with the pedal on the end but the U shaped bracket as shown. This part is steel on all pedals from 84 to 87 am i correct? Then why doesnt it bend in the later year/TFS pedals if it is still steel?

[This message has been edited by 84se2m4 (edited 06-02-2012).]

NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2012 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamDirect Link to This Post
The pedals were made of steel and aluminum, the Fiero Store pedal is all steel. I have the early model master cylinder from Rodney and it fits TFS pedal quite nicely. I haven't put the pedal on yet, but it seems to be really good quality, much better than the stock one on my '85 GT.
84se2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2012 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84se2m4Send a Private Message to 84se2m4Direct Link to This Post
but what confuses me is that the part that bends is still steel on all pedals. So when the later designs switched the aluminum portion that doesnt bend how did that stop the later ones from doing the same thing
84se2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2012 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84se2m4Send a Private Message to 84se2m4Direct Link to This Post

84se2m4

389 posts
Member since Oct 2011
or were the earlier ones completely aluminum?... im really confused now, i could have swore the u part on my 84 was steel (did the magnet test)
tucsonsean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2012 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tucsonseanSend a Private Message to tucsonseanDirect Link to This Post
Make sure it's bent before you replace it. I got one off an '84 in a salvage yard (aluminum and steel) that was perfectly straight. Don't assume it's the pedal. Forty bucks is still a lot of money for a maybe-fix. If your clutch pedal is higher than the brake pedal, it may be ok. (Not sure how you can tell between 1/4 and 1/2 inch while upside down under the dash.)
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2012 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84se2m4:

but what confuses me is that the part that bends is still steel on all pedals. So when the later designs switched the aluminum portion that doesnt bend how did that stop the later ones from doing the same thing

It's a mystery that rates right up there with the building of the Pyramids.

You bring up a good point though. It's always mentioned that it's the older "aluminum" pedals that bend, but technically it isn't. It's the steel part, the U-shaped bracket that bends.

The only explanation I can offer (which is pure conjecture) is that on the newer "steel" pedals, not only is the arm made out of steel, but a higher grade steel may have been used for the U-shaped bracket than had been used originally.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-03-2012).]

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 219
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2012 03:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post
I have seen lots and lots and lots of the steel ones bend.
The whole aluminum vs steel is all BS.

Edit to add: the reason they bend is there are other problems with the clutch system and people think "If I stand on it with all my strength mabey it will work"

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 06-03-2012).]

NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2012 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamDirect Link to This Post
I agree that it's not an aluminum vs. steel issue, but an early vs. late problem. Although the earlier pedals may have had an aluminum component, it was the 'U' part that was bending, not because of the material, but the pin where it attaches to the banjo is where all the pressure is applied, especially if somebody continues to push down on the pedal after the banjo has pushed as far into the master as it can go. If you look at the picture above, you'll notice that the bent pedal is the early style and the good pedal is the later (two different diameters on the pin in the early design).
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2012 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
The old clutch pedal I took of my 85GT would not hold a magnet....... and, the pedal part sprained right off. Just plain ol' junk IMHO

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock