Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  cold air intake setups for L67s into N* tb set up...any ideas?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

cold air intake setups for L67s into N* tb set up...any ideas? by OHNIKO
Started on: 06-08-2012 02:40 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: Darth Fiero on 06-16-2012 04:16 AM
OHNIKO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OHNIKOSend a Private Message to OHNIKODirect Link to This Post
any ideas on what to install?
sizing?

what have you or others done?

pics would be helpful if you have 'em too.

i've heard some people have the intake filter down near the side intake on the drivers rear qtr panel...cool!

(car currently has the stock intake setup for the 2.8 v6, will be going into a n* tb setup)

thanks all.

------------------
RATE ME IF YOU LIKE MY CRUISES!!!
1985 RED & SILVER CUSTOM GT 2.8 V6...IT LOOKS NICE!

Original 18" x 8" Motegi Roja's, 225-40-ZR18's front, 265-35-ZR18's rears, coil-overs, KYB shocks & struts, 2.5" drop, K&N filters, Holley side scoop, upgraded front & rear sway bars, poly, fully loaded, tinted, & some other nice custom stuff...

1985 GT SILVER CONVERSION PROJECT, 3800 SC SII powered, doesn't look as nice (yet), but it sure goes!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
I use a 4 inch coupler to a 45* mandrel bend to a coupler that goes to MAF then from there a piece of ZZP tubing into the 1/4 panel. I get the parts from Spectra thru Oreillys and the tubing from ZZP....Look at pictures Nosrac has posted of his car as you should be able to see the setup...
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
I took the Fiero Air filter box and welded a 4" flange to the input side and a 3 1/2" flange below the canister, I then used a 3 1/2" marine 90* elbow and 3/12 aluminum air pipe to the side intake where a modifed Holley scoop sits.
Here are some pictures:

The last picture shows where the flex connector was replaced with a solid 45* silicone 4" bend. At that point we also added and SLP LS1 MAF sensor which flows far better.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 06-08-2012).]

Dave E Bouy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyDirect Link to This Post
Well well, Sounds like someone is finally working on getting their 3800 car rolling.
GraterFang

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2012 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GraterFangSend a Private Message to GraterFangDirect Link to This Post
This was my latest take on an intake and I'm sure it would work on the N* TB which I'll eventually be using. I'm sure its not the best intake out there but it was fairly easy to put together being a combination of semi-rigid metal, fiberglass, and other odds and ends. Its a bit over 4" (probably overkill but oh well) and is rigid on the ends and semi-flexible in the middle. Of course, the ends are still attached using 4" flexible rubber couplers. I think it looks pretty nice myself and it didn't require me to make any new holes in the car. I still plan on finishing up the filter by mounting it on rubber and blocking the rest of the whole with something to keep hot air from going into the filter from the engine bay. For the most part though it shouldn't be a problem anyways.

[This message has been edited by GraterFang (edited 06-09-2012).]

LoW_KeY

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2012 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post
Haven't used on n* but my current set up... Get rubber piece down size to what ever size for the pvc pipe you can even get bends. Weld it and paint it.... Won't even collect heat I'll take pics later on stock TB but gen 5 charger and n* TB and I'll be using same setup

------------------
3800 SC/IC Formula whines more than your girl...
08 Cobalt SS TC - ZZP tuned, K&N SRI, 6k HID's 13.31@107
07 HHR - Wifes

ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2012 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
Anyone ever tried adapting an air-box from another car to fit in the general area of the stock Fiero filter? This is something I was/am considering for my 3800sc swap; just haven't found a good doner. Problem is finding an airbox that has the intake on the bottom and the output on the proper side, while also having large enough ports to provide good air flow...

[This message has been edited by ALJR (edited 06-09-2012).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2012 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Check out a ~2001 S10 4.3 airbox. You'll need to remove some of the bottom, as it has a restrictive "horn" that points toward the front, but the box and lid may work.
Or even a Dodge Challenger or Charger airbox, but those may be a bit large.
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2012 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
This is a 3800 SC Series III engine with a Northstar TB. The intake is from a functional vent on the driver's side on an 88 Mera. Hard pipe was used all the way with appropriate couplers.

Nelson

hnthomps

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2012 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post

hnthomps

5736 posts
Member since Jul 2003
This is a 3800 SC Series III engine with a Northstar TB. The intake is from a functional vent on the driver's side on an 88 Mera. Hard pipe was used all the way with appropriate couplers.

Nelson

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2012 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Flex pipe tends to have ribs on the inside that impede flow causing a loss of valuable horsepower. I favor the hard pipe/solid coupling method for appearance as well as efficiency..

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Check out a ~2001 S10 4.3 airbox. You'll need to remove some of the bottom, as it has a restrictive "horn" that points toward the front, but the box and lid may work.
Or even a Dodge Challenger or Charger airbox, but those may be a bit large.

S10 is a possibility. the top tooks very high and the output is in the wrong position, as is the intake... Could be reworked, but would like to know if others make be a closer fit. Bit it does have the fender indentation in the right location...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AIR..._Accessories&vxp=mtr

[This message has been edited by ALJR (edited 06-10-2012).]

OHNIKO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2012 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OHNIKOSend a Private Message to OHNIKODirect Link to This Post
inteting set ups & pics all; thanks.

i do like the logical idea of a smooth flow on the interior, vs ribbed & less angles the better, for flow characteristics.
the non-metal material makes sense too for temps but the look of hard metal can't be beat.

is that a spacer i see in the pics or a thicker adapter plate?
fierofan25

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2012 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofan25Send a Private Message to fierofan25Direct Link to This Post
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2012 04:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
Another method using OE GM induction tubing from a truck:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/105510.html
------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 06-16-2012).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery