Started on: 07-26-2002 08:12 AM
Replies: 34
Last post by: JD86GT350 on 07-31-2002 07:23 AM
Monza76

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2002 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
How about some custom hood vent pictures? There was a Warber hood post recently and there are two TA vent posts right now, but how about something different. Let's keep it functional folks, none of these "stick on do nothing" mods.

I am currently doing a warber vent but I am still open to new Ideas. I considered using a set of 1970s TA fender extractors but it seemed too difficult to get right.

------------------
Ira Crummey
1984 econo coupe
1985 coupe
The Iron Duke Resource Site

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2002 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
sorry for the size...

i'm trying to collect new pics i can crop down when i get camera time.

these are from an '81 z28.

Philphine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2002 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post

Philphine

6136 posts
Member since Feb 2000
ok. it didn't make the screen all wide. good.
87GTBro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2002 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTBroSend a Private Message to 87GTBroDirect Link to This Post
I am working on a custom hood vent. It is not painted yet, but I will post pics when I get home from work...

Here it is... unfinished, but you get the idea:

------------------

[This message has been edited by 87GTBro (edited 07-26-2002).]

MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2002 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

JL Extractor Hood Vent from Rockcrawl... not currently in production, but he is keeping track of those interested.

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2002 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

MinnGreenGT

11545 posts
Member since Jul 2001

Originally posted by Monza76:
I considered using a set of 1970s TA fender extractors but it seemed too difficult to get right.

Anthony (Reality) has already done that... and it looks quite nice- you could email him for some details (as I haven't seen him post lately).

skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2002 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
Here is a fully funtional extration hood I created. It was created from a ZR2 scoop which I felt was too wide and killed the lines of the Fiero. I cut over 4 inches off the width and created a center line that works with the center line of the nose. The original ZR2 scoop does not work with the Fiero lines by killing the side lines and it has a dip in the center but the Fiero has a ridge in the center. It is amazing how much heat comes out from the hood especially when the fan is on.

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Red 88 GT T-Top 3800 Supercharged
White 88 GT T-Top Stock
White 88 GT Stock

skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2002 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

skitime

5765 posts
Member since Aug 2000

I considered using a set of 1970s TA fender extractors but it seemed too difficult to get right.

Before starting the hood I was going to vent through these.

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Red 88 GT T-Top 3800 Supercharged
White 88 GT T-Top Stock
White 88 GT Stock

batboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2002 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
these recessed scoops are nice, but require fiberglassing them in to look right.

This pic is a shot of Tina's car (gawd I worship her and that car).

This is a pic I found on the forum. I think it's similar to Tina's scoop, but the pic is taken at a better angle.

A Z-28 (or is it a ZR-1?) style cowl induction hood scoop could be made to be functional.

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2002 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Now that's the type of thing I wanted,
skitime: I like the cut-down functional ZR2 vent. (the full size version looks dumb on a rear (mid) engine car)

Philphine: Those Camaro extractors are very similar in size to the TA extractors I mentioned.

batboy: I like Tina's hood, maybe I could do something similar with mine (the hole is already cut). MinnGreenGT that hood is very similar, you say it was for sale? (Couldn't afford it anyway)

I'll post a picture next time.

[This message has been edited by Monza76 (edited 07-26-2002).]

BOILERMAKER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2002 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BOILERMAKERSend a Private Message to BOILERMAKERDirect Link to This Post

------------------

Mike

PFF
System Bot
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2002 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

[B]...MinnGreenGT that hood is very similar, you say it was for sale? (Couldn't afford it anyway)

Mine's not for sale But another PFF member (Rockcrawl) is the one who designed & produced them. I don't know if he's got his new site fully up & running yet, but it's http://www.fieroaddiction.com

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2002 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by skitime:
Here is a fully funtional extration hood I created.

Hey, Ski, gotta question. Have you done any aerodynamic tests on your hood at speed? I know the old cowl induction style hoods brought air IN, not let it out, because of the high pressure area at the base of the windshield when the car's at speed. I'd be interested to see if you're getting much venting, or if you may be actually defeating the purpose by having the opening that far back.

It obviously works well at slow speeds or in traffic, because the fan provides all the pressure, but at highway speeds the aerodynamic pressure may overpower the fan or the airflow from the radiator inlet.

Just curious. I'd be tempted to tape some streamers around the hood outlet and see what they do on the highway.

Tcat55371

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2002 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tcat55371Send a Private Message to Tcat55371Direct Link to This Post
Sorry Ron, just had to do this

Tcat55371

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2002 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tcat55371Send a Private Message to Tcat55371Direct Link to This Post

Tcat55371

639 posts
Member since Apr 2002

Hmm, sneaky picture wouldn't post

skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2002 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:
Hey, Ski, gotta question. Have you done any aerodynamic tests on your hood at speed? I know the old cowl induction style hoods brought air IN, not let it out, because of the high pressure area at the base of the windshield when the car's at speed. I'd be interested to see if you're getting much venting, or if you may be actually defeating the purpose by having the opening that far back.

It obviously works well at slow speeds or in traffic, because the fan provides all the pressure, but at highway speeds the aerodynamic pressure may overpower the fan or the airflow from the radiator inlet.

Just curious. I'd be tempted to tape some streamers around the hood outlet and see what they do on the highway.

Yes I did do the streamer test on the hood. The results were a slight intake while driving until the fan came on and then it was very strong exhaust coming out the hood. Since I have a custom chip in my ECM the cooling fan comes on at 180 degrees so in nearly always on. The fan is actually pointing up at the hood so it really creates a stong wind out the hood which can easily be felt even at the top of the windshild.

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2002 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
I finally found another thread on Hood Vents that includes a few different variations as well: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/019159.html

Including Reality's Fender-Vent hood:

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 07-26-2002).]

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2002 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Yes I did do the streamer test on the hood.

Why am I not surprised. Good work. Apparently the cowl induction affect isn't as much as GM would have led us to believe. What else is new?

GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2002 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:
Why am I not surprised. Good work. Apparently the cowl induction affect isn't as much as GM would have led us to believe. What else is new?

I really depends on the angle of the windshield too. The 60's and 70's muscle cars had a steeper angled windshield. The Fiero windshield is angled in a way were there isnt too much pressure at all. Like Ski said, while driving there was a slight intake until the fan came on, so the fan helps force out the air/heat under the hood and prevents any air from coming in

------------------

--Adam--
1987 Blue GT 5-speed
IM AOL: GTFiero

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2002 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
GTFiero1 is right about the cowl induction hoods, notice that the factory has not used cowl induction on newer Corvettes or F-bodies, they have too extreme an angle to the windshield, it wouldn't work. The early Z24 Cavaliers were probably the last factor cowl induction from GM (but that may not be correct)
Fiero5

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 367
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2002 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post
This thread shows a few of my Fieros where I had Grand Am vents installed
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/018897.html

Steve

------------------

http://kelleyfamilyfieros.50megs.com

[This message has been edited by Fiero5 (edited 07-26-2002).]

PFF
System Bot
86seyellow

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
User Banned

Report this Post07-26-2002 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86seyellowSend a Private Message to 86seyellowDirect Link to This Post
Rob, thanks so much!!!

You coudl have at least posted a pic of the actual hood scoop I have and not the bitchin trunk scoop!!!!

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2002 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Before starting the hood I was going to vent through these.

This thread was worth it just for a close-up look at those Prime 705 Wheels

------------------

1988 Fiero - It's like an Actual Miniature Car

Haze_Performance

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2002 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Haze_PerformanceSend a Private Message to Haze_PerformanceDirect Link to This Post
Heres the Warber style hood I sold last week.
(not yet finished)

------------------

ClassicFiero.com

jch82

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2002 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jch82Send a Private Message to jch82Direct Link to This Post
Here are a few pics of my 85 GT.
http://www.fibersmith.net/showoff.htm

My fiero is the top one (Josh Holter). I really like the hood cowel. As Skitime said, it is functional and really works good when the fan is running. Skitime, you did a great job with that scoop!

Josh

------------------

Bazooka

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2002 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BazookaClick Here to visit Bazooka's HomePageSend a Private Message to BazookaDirect Link to This Post
Monza,
Here's one that you don't see very often. It's an L-88 style with flow thru vents.

Tina

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2002 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinaSend a Private Message to TinaDirect Link to This Post

Puts her hands together for a job well done.
Both inside and out.

Now how many people would of just stopped at the outside, but not Ski...

Kudos to you

Tina

Fierokid87

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2002 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierokid87Send a Private Message to Fierokid87Direct Link to This Post
How would I or who would do a hood scoop for my Fiero. i figure it adds a nice touch. My Fiero is already modded with the V-6 swap so its not original anymore. And I would like the extra cooling of the radiator. Let me know.
Philphine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2002 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
found the camera. this is the hood of the chop top i got from fierodave...

i didn't make this one so i don't know how to reconstruct it. if there's anything to venting the hood, this one ought to do it.

fieroshop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2002 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroshopClick Here to visit fieroshop's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroshopDirect Link to This Post
Tina's Fiero has the Fiero Shop hood vents.
We are currently back in production of them......

------------------

fieroshop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2002 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroshopClick Here to visit fieroshop's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroshopDirect Link to This Post

fieroshop

648 posts
Member since Jun 99
Tina's Fiero has the Fiero Shop hood vents.
We are currently back in production of them......

------------------

PFF
System Bot
chester
From: State of insanity...moved in and comfortably numb...

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2002 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post
I have a hood vent in the works but it's a secret...shhhhh...Too many damn projects at once!

Rob D.

------------------

Modified 2.8 (Soon to be a 383 V8 )
2.5" Drop
11" Brakes
17" Revolutions
RCC Coilover Suspension
New web site! www.dirtyratracing.org

JD86GT350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2002 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JD86GT350Send a Private Message to JD86GT350Direct Link to This Post
Rob, get back to work on that F355 cover!
oh wait, stuff that 383 so we can see some SPEC results....or....

I like the cut-down functional ZR2 vent. (the full size version looks dumb on a rear (mid) engine car)

Here's my "dumb" hood

------------------

[This message has been edited by JD86GT350 (edited 07-30-2002).]

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2002 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Oops, maybe that was a poor choice of words.
JD86GT350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2002 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JD86GT350Send a Private Message to JD86GT350Direct Link to This Post
aww, no hard feelings, I was just razzin

everybody's got their own taste

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock