Started on: 08-21-2002 08:44 PM
Replies: 68
Last post by: LS1swap on 09-30-2002 09:24 PM
artherd

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2002 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artherdClick Here to visit artherd's HomePageSend a Private Message to artherdDirect Link to This Post
The beauty covers should say "Twin Turbo" and mean it

In all seriousness, WELL DONE!

Now who's gonna be the first to drop an LS6 in?

Best!
Ben.

------------------

Ben Cannon
88 Formula, T-top, Metalic Red. (2:13.138 at Sears Point) "Every Man Dies, not every man really Lives"
88 Formula, Northstar, Silver, In-Progreess. -Mel Gibson, "Braveheart"

IP: Logged
GTFiero1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2002 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86fierose:

no, that isn't the point...that car is Bad A$$, but the car isn't a vette....kinda like it when people badge a car a "type R" and it isn't a type R.....kinda ricey to misadvertise, but to each their own, nice machine

Well it's a Corvette engine, so there is no reason why he should take them off. Plus it looks like ass without them. He has a corvette engine, so why isnt it allowed to say "Corvette" on the engine? Plus i dont think hed be fooling anybody into thinking the whole car is a Corvette

------------------

--Adam--
1987 Blue GT 5-speed
IM AOL: GTFiero

LS1swap

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2002 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1swapClick Here to visit LS1swap's HomePageSend a Private Message to LS1swapDirect Link to This Post
I totally understand what you are saying, and agree to a point. It is probably more for the layman then a true car enthusiast. Who would know regardless the engine does not belong in there. I have told friends I am putting an LS1 in and some say LS what ??? But you say same engine as the 97 vette they say oh! I do not plan on putting any corvette badges on the out side or anything. I have some McCahn (not sure of the spelling on that) style side scoops I will be putting on this winter. I want to have 5.7 LS1 V8 put on them in small gold print.

I would love to see someone put in an LS6. It would fit just the same. I have a few LS6 parts on mine MAF/IAT and one Exhaust manifold. Wish I had the cam, intake and heads to go with them LOL. I watch ebay every now and then you see the parts. If I ever found them at the right price I would pick them up. Except for the cam... There are better ones. But for now I am just going to enjoy it.

LS1swap

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2002 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1swapClick Here to visit LS1swap's HomePageSend a Private Message to LS1swapDirect Link to This Post
A little more info... I finalized my air cleaner set up. Complete with part numbers. The super trapp number is out of summit, but it is usually derived from the manufactures part number. And the part number for the Pace MAF/IAT is PAC8411F. I had looked for an anodized intake elbow but did not have much luck. Most are sold in kits which I didn't need. Summit kind of soaked me for the elbow $37 with shipping, but I had to have it. The K&N was $65 and the pace unit was $159 it works well. Here is also a pic of the whole car. I think the LS1 sits lower than the 2.8 did. On a sour note I ran over a can of primer backing out of the garage tonight. Splattered the entire under side

McRat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2002 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for McRatSend a Private Message to McRatDirect Link to This Post
Congrats! That is AWESOME!!!

Leave the Vette covers on. Most people when they look at an engine swap don't know what they are looking at. That removes ALL doubt!

I've had a LS1 SS without covers, and now I have a Z06 with covers, and the covers clean up the motor ALOT.

Good luck with it! You need to AutoTap it to find out how the jetting is doing, and then get LS1Edit, and adjust fuel and gearing.

That baby is going to FLY!!! Typical stock LS1 engine pushes 310 hp to the TIRES. About 350-360 to the crank. You should hit bigger than that.

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2002 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! The dream is coming alive!!!! Nice swap, enjoy the car, and take your time with all the show treatments. They are more fun to drive, than display in a show!!!

------------------

Click to Listen!

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2002 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post

California Kid

9541 posts
Member since Jul 2001
Sorry, double??

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 08-27-2002).]

LS1swap

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2002 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1swapClick Here to visit LS1swap's HomePageSend a Private Message to LS1swapDirect Link to This Post
I do want LS1 edit but at $700 I don't know. Maybe I can go on ls1.com and find someone in my area that has the multiple car version and pay him to let me program it. Or go in halves with some one, but I don't know how that would work sharing cables with some one I don't know

Yes I am very happy so far.... I know what you mean about taking your time. But I do want to have it look nice when I take it to shows. ( love yours by the way) got on it a few times tonight. Sets you back in the seat nice. In the end I am hoping to accomplish the show with the muscle to back it up. Sleepers are fun... Although it doesn't sound like a sleeper

schism

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 123
User Banned

Report this Post08-27-2002 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for schismSend a Private Message to schismDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if that motor will mess up your frame

------------------
1986 Fiero SE 2.8L, TH440 OD Tranny , Ported plenum ,intake,manifolds , Throttlebody, flowmaster muffler,15" American Racing rim's,Complete engine gasket overhaul..

FieroLT1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2002 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroLT1Click Here to visit FieroLT1's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroLT1Direct Link to This Post
Awesome!

Congratulations are in order.

... and Welcome to the V8 club.

Hope to see it @ Fierorama.

------------------
Winston Ojeda
88 Formula LT1
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
http://www.FieroLT1.com
Home of the Fiero LT1

wojeda@FieroLT1.com

[This message has been edited by FieroLT1 (edited 08-28-2002).]

LS1swap

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2002 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1swapClick Here to visit LS1swap's HomePageSend a Private Message to LS1swapDirect Link to This Post
Thanks I starting to enjoy this club I see no reason that I won't be at fierorama. I have put about 50 miles on it so far on it with no problems. There is a car show in Woodstock Sunday ( cops and rodders) I might take it there... Anyone else interested in going???
PFF
System Bot
MOBILE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2002 02:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MOBILESend a Private Message to MOBILEDirect Link to This Post
Great Job!!! That looks very clean.

Just wanted to mention I think I saw in another thread that u were using the stock GT fuel pump. If not ignore this.

If you are, I have a SC3800 and after a month of driving the car w/new motor my NEW factory pump took a crap. I had a friend a GM do some research and he said the 3800 pump had a much larger volume output AND psi capablity. I went to a dealer and it turns out the pump for my motor (94 SSEi Bonneville) was the same size (externally) as the GT pump. So I made a new connector and plugged it in. It works great. I'm guessing that a LS1 would need similar fuel if not more. Just a thought.

Oh yeah, I have the MECHAM scoops you spoke of, the look and work great.

One last suggestion, when you do add those scoops run your K&N down into the fender. Not sucking that hot air acually makes a considerable differance in HP. I know this from experiance. When I first installed my new motor I just did a setup with the filter like yours "Just to get it running and work out bugs" now, months later, I changed it and I'm very glad I did.

Again GREAT JOB!!! IT LOOKS AWSOME
p.s. Blowers are fun but I miss that V8 sound.

MOBILE

------------------
Member MN Fieros Forever 1986 GT. Self Installed SC3800/getrag almost everything performance wise is modified/upgraded, inside and out. Over 10 years in Car Audio and Car Electronics Experiance P.S. GOT 19"s??(all the way around)

LS1swap

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2002 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1swapClick Here to visit LS1swap's HomePageSend a Private Message to LS1swapDirect Link to This Post
Hi Mobile thanks for the suggestions. That was kind of my thought on the pump. I think I am going to put that on my to do list. With the scoops I was at least planning on removing the stock air box, and cutting away some of the sheet metal. Even though it is on the road and running there are additional things like that I want to do this winter especially suspension wise, but for now I just want to drive it
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2002 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
A '96 Corvette fuel pump is a drop in swap for the V6 pump, and doesn't even need a different connector.
LS1swap

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2002 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1swapClick Here to visit LS1swap's HomePageSend a Private Message to LS1swapDirect Link to This Post
Mobile was right....(Thanks for the heads up) my stock pump started loosing pressure.... Would only hold 42 PSI at idle, and went down from there

Thanks will the Vette pump fits just about perfect the rubber base is just a little different but fits in just the same I added a nylon wire tie just for safety sake. the plug is also I direct fit. the part number if anyone is interested is 25163464

My dealer had the pump but not the strainer... Will be in Saturday afternoon. Cutting it close for fierorama. If worse comes to worse I will just use the Fiero strainer. But I am not really thrilled with using a used strainer. But I should be there none the less

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2002 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
Wonder if an LS1 would work with a 3800 SC tranny.
LS1swap

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2002 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1swapClick Here to visit LS1swap's HomePageSend a Private Message to LS1swapDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dennis_6:
Wonder if an LS1 would work with a 3800 SC tranny.

don't know anymore. i was missinformed by a GM parts manager sorry about that.

[This message has been edited by LS1swap (edited 09-07-2002).]

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2002 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for the info
perkidelic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2002 02:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for perkidelicClick Here to visit perkidelic's HomePageSend a Private Message to perkidelicDirect Link to This Post
Very nice, workmanship looks good.

This is the way to go. The technology in the LS1 is lightyears ahead of the 1st gen smallblock. I had two core motors I was planning on building (a 4-bolt 350 & and 4-bolt 427 tall deck), after reading and seeing what these new motors are capable of I may wait and go with the LS1.

oh, and bump!!!

------------------

Dan Robinson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2002 03:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan RobinsonSend a Private Message to Dan RobinsonDirect Link to This Post
I think the covers would look good with LS1 on there instead of CORVETTE. Only my opinion, if you don't like it. Than you don't oh well don't bash me.
LS1swap

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2002 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1swapClick Here to visit LS1swap's HomePageSend a Private Message to LS1swapDirect Link to This Post
Well I have had a rough day... I replaced the fuel pump Saturday. Take to my local gas station fill it up an notice a puddle of gas under the car. Figured I must not have gotten the o-ring in straight (I was right) anyway get up at five this morning drop the tank and fix the O-ring and put her back together. Take off for Fierorama I am on 90 get to 53 exit and all of a sudden it feels like it popped out of gear. No noise or anything. Pull over see oil running down look under the car.... the tripot joint came out of the trans????. Fortunately that is where my bad luck ends. Tow was $137 for 33 miles not bad for off the expressway on a Sunday. Put the tripot back in and there doesn't seem to be any damage ended up going to fieroramma after all (not with the Fiero) scratch my head on this one not sure why it happened. up until this point put over 200 miles on it with no other problems than a loose alt. Belt. Thought I was home free maybe the clip is just worn out from taking it in and out too many times. Well just thought I would tell the bad with the good
PFF
System Bot
perkidelic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2002 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perkidelicClick Here to visit perkidelic's HomePageSend a Private Message to perkidelicDirect Link to This Post
any new developments, and progress???

------------------

LS1swap

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2002 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1swapClick Here to visit LS1swap's HomePageSend a Private Message to LS1swapDirect Link to This Post
To be perfectly honest I haven't touched it since I drove it around the driveway Sunday and parked it back in the garage. I plan to pull the axle this weekend, and see if I can figure any thing out. I expected some bugs. I have some ideas. Nothing I can't overcome.
LS1swap

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2002 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1swapClick Here to visit LS1swap's HomePageSend a Private Message to LS1swapDirect Link to This Post
Well a little update... I got the whole tripot joint problem solved. Been driving it to and from work for over a week with no further problems.

On a second note I was asked if my engine was a crate motor. No I t came out of a 1998 Z28 with 47 miles on it. It was "warrentied out" not as bad as it sounds. It had a hydraulically locked lifter. The gm mechanics must not have been able to figure this out or they never would have replaced it. It would have bent the push rod every time they tried to replace it. There loss my gain crazy Dave has heard and felt it run. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it now (guess I shouldn't jinx myself ... How about nothing yet LOL). When I pulled the head to get at the lifter( yes you have to on an LS1) I could still read the ink part number that was printed on the top of each cylinder. I paid $1,500 for it (which is a steel for anyone familiar with this engine). I new I was taking a gamble, but figured in a worst case scenario I could part it out on Ebay and get most if not all my money back. Fortunately for me a couple hundred dollars in parts made her as good as new. I have had allot of people ask me what it share with a Normal SBC . My answer is a similar bore and stroke and that is it. It is actually smaller than SBC only 346 Cu.In. The pan is allot wider, and not really a pan at all, but part of the block. Believe it or not it sits lower in the engine bay than the 2.8 did.

[This message has been edited by LS1swap (edited 09-25-2002).]

Leper
No longer registered
Report this Post09-25-2002 09:59 PM   Send a Private Message to LS1swapDirect Link to This Post
Cool, now you just need to get someone to put some video of it up.
godalex

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2002 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for godalexSend a Private Message to godalexDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LS1swap:
I do want LS1 edit but at $700 I don't know. Maybe I can go on ls1.com and find someone in my area that has the multiple car version and pay him to let me program it. Or go in halves with some one, but I don't know how that would work sharing cables with some one I don't know

Yes I am very happy so far.... I know what you mean about taking your time. But I do want to have it look nice when I take it to shows. ( love yours by the way) got on it a few times tonight. Sets you back in the seat nice. In the end I am hoping to accomplish the show with the muscle to back it up. Sleepers are fun... Although it doesn't sound like a sleeper

http://carputing.tripod.com/LS1main.htm

LS1/LS6 PCM Editor/Programmer Package, locked to 1 PCM $550

Sharing won't work because it is locked to the a PCM by VIN number. You can do mutiplie PCM's for a bit more money. Probably gonna get it soon for the Vette. Programming a custom PCM is $400 usually, and I like the idea for a bit more money to have infinite control for any future mods. Money well spent in my opinion.

------------------

artherd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2002 04:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artherdClick Here to visit artherd's HomePageSend a Private Message to artherdDirect Link to This Post
Makes my completely customised for N*, Holley Commander 950 standalone engine management system look cheap at $1300 :P

PS: Holley sells a total LS1 solution, ready to bolt right on, dunno how much $ though.

Best!
Ben.

posted by godalex:

Originally posted by LS1swap:
[b]I do want LS1 edit but at $700 I don't know. Maybe I can go on ls1.com and find someone in my area that has the multiple car version and pay him to let me program it. Or go in halves with some one, but I don't know how that would work sharing cables with some one I don't know

http://carputing.tripod.com/LS1main.htm

LS1/LS6 PCM Editor/Programmer Package, locked to 1 PCM $550

Sharing won't work because it is locked to the a PCM by VIN number. You can do mutiplie PCM's for a bit more money. Probably gonna get it soon for the Vette. Programming a custom PCM is $400 usually, and I like the idea for a bit more money to have infinite control for any future mods. Money well spent in my opinion.
[/B][/QUOTE]

------------------

Ben Cannon
88 Formula, T-top, Metalic Red. (2:13.138 at Sears Point) "Every Man Dies, not every man really Lives"
88 Formula, Northstar, Silver, In-Progreess. -Mel Gibson, "Braveheart"

LS1swap

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2002 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1swapClick Here to visit LS1swap's HomePageSend a Private Message to LS1swapDirect Link to This Post
I did notice it came down on price. It had been a while since I had been on there site. I am not sure if I will get reprogramming or not. I am sure it is setting codes, but there has been no derivability issue as far as I can tell. I want the program but have better areas to put the money right now. Such as paint. Some people buy extra vins when they purchase the program and sell the vin to someone else they know. It is cheaper than buying two separate complete packages. Others buy the unlock version which can do any number of vins. I have no way to make videos I do plan to take it to the northern IL. Mod fest that is being planed. Ps. Holley also makes an aluminum intake that would look awesome polished.
LS1swap

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2002 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1swapClick Here to visit LS1swap's HomePageSend a Private Message to LS1swapDirect Link to This Post
bump for Blk Bird
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock