Started on: 09-10-2002 11:22 AM
Replies: 15
Last post by: MinnGreenGT on 09-11-2002 09:35 AM
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2002 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
For anyone following the recent Fierorama threads, you probably know the basics on a couple of things: I recieved the Hard Luck award for a brake problem, Tina had engine problems within 10 minutes of leaving the show, and my brake problem resurfaced at the same time.

Now the details. Saturday night and Sunday morning I had been noticing a hot-brake smell from my right rear wheel. About 2 blocks from the show field (while stopped at a light) I noticed smoke in my side view mirror. I immediately pulled into a parking lot and let the brake cool (it was hot enough to flash-boil water on the wheel). So we limped the car to the show field, where I let it sit for another 10-15 minutes before actually pulling it into it's parking/show spot. After finishing the car's show-prep, I began informing others of my problem. I enlisted the help of Joe (KissMySS) who was happy to drive me down to the local PepBoys for a new caliper (I have Grand Am Brakes). We returned to the showfield and I ran around and finished my voting. As soon as the voting was through, I jacked up the car and removed the wheel (right where the car sat on the show field) to find the brake still solidly clamped to the disc. By the time I was nearing completion- the awards presentation had begun (directly in front of my car). I finished replacing the caliper and putting the wheel on about a minute before they asked if anyone had any "hard luck" stories. Still greasy, I volunteered and explained my story.

After I recieved the award, I immediately had 2 or 3 people stop and tell me their stories about brake problems- reminding me to watch it because it could be the brake line itself (thanks for the tip guys). So I drove the car around the lot a bit, and up to the gas station, and finally to the highway (with no signs of trouble).

Once on the highway- we're on the road for less than 10 minutes when Tina radios that she needs to pull over. We come to find that the temp of Tina's V8 was beginning to rapidly rise. There was steam blowing out the breather, and upon inspection there appeared to be coolant in the oil.

At the same time (once stopped)- I found that my right/rear brake caliper had once again locked up, and the wheel had heated up so much that the center cap fell out (which again, someone had warned me about).

So Tina contacted V8Archie- who was kind & gracious enough to come by and pick her up with a truck & trailer. Thanks Archie!

ProudGT headed home once everything was in order and everyone seemed to be set. (Thanks for hanging around Bob!)

We decided to stay another night with FieroGal & 86seyellow (at the very next exit- thank God). Ron & I got up and headed for Menards at 8am, where we picked up a small vice grip. I again removed the wheel & the brake line, then used the vice grip to pinch of the line- and released the caliper from the disc. We were cleaned up and on the road again shortly after 10am.

Everything seemed to be fine (my car was still braking well with only 3 working & the line wasn't leaking at all). Then about 25 miles south of Wisconsin Dells on I90, FieroGal Radios that she thinks she's out of gas, and in less than another 1/2 mile- she pulls of the road (thankfully under the shade of an overpass). Ron (86seyellow) quickly heads off to the next exit (about 5 miles) and returns with a tank of gas- and we're back on our way!

All said and done, 4 of the 5 of us had some problem or another (86seyellow had an easily-fixable problem with a broken starter wire going to the battery). And we all made it home allright- although much later than expected (I arrived home last night around 5:15pm).

So here are some pics of our "Post-Fierorama Show" on Hwy355 in Chicago... there must've been at least 40 cars per minute that saw us there!

Me at the show... just finished the brake job.

My Award & Class Sheet

Our "Roadside Show" shortly after stopping

86seyellow's ride

(more pics in a second...)

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 09-10-2002).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2002 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

From Left to Right: Tina, Ron (86seyellow), CJ (FieroGal), Carissa (my wife), and Bob (ProudGT).

What a Unique photo opportunity

Tina's V8 Ride

FieroGal's Ride

ProudGT's Ride

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2002 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

MinnGreenGT

11545 posts
Member since Jul 2001

A visit from a nice IL Hwy service worker...

My GreenGT (notice the absence of right/rear center cap?)

I know that Tony (lowfierogt) has a couple of pics of me working on my GT at the show... let's see 'em Tony!

Thanks again to everyone who helped along the way (both at the show, and after). I certainly couldn't have picked a better place to have some problems with my Fiero!

Maybe next year I can make it to & from Fierorama without having any trouble (last year I had a nail in my tire Saturday morning the day before the show).

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

lowfierogt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 247
User Banned

Report this Post09-10-2002 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lowfierogtClick Here to visit lowfierogt's HomePageSend a Private Message to lowfierogtDirect Link to This Post
I will send them to you tonight. Glad we drove home on are own. We stopped at Ikea and where on are way. My car went through three tanks of gas to get home, thinking its time for a engine swap. I have really bad luck and seems like it finds me. Tina I hope your engine isn't totally gone after all the hard work. Minn, Time for the 11 1/4 brake upgrade.

Tony

"I know that Tony (lowfierogt) has a couple of pics of me working on my GT at the show... let's see 'em Tony! "

------------------
[IMG][/IMG]
http://lowfierogt.150m.com
86 1/2 GT auto, 18" wheels, GA CD brakes, ST brace, Leather, getting 3800 SC
88 Formula 5 speed T-Top stock,
86 GT 65k miles

skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2002 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
We are sorry to hear about all the troubles. We had a safe trip home and the car ran like a charm. Hope to see everyone again sometime.

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Red 88 GT T-Top 3800 Supercharged
White 88 GT T-Top Stock
White 88 GT Stock

Standard

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2002 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StandardClick Here to visit Standard's HomePageSend a Private Message to StandardDirect Link to This Post
wow.. glad everyone made it home safe!

------------------

1988 Quad 4 Coupe 5 speed
More pics of the coupe
1986 GT 5 speed, 1984 SC Auto
AOL: LastMinuteBastrd AIM: SavedbyJebus

Fierochic88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2002 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Direct Link to This Post
Rob ~

Glad you made it home okay! I guess even sweet cars can be cranky at times!

Jen

Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2002 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulDirect Link to This Post
Geez Rob, you just can't get a break.
Hmm, with that last sentence i think i can safely say my title as king of bad puns is still safe. <--------for the humor impaired.

Seriously though: glad you all made it back safe! To bad that had to happen though
i hope you all still had a good time.

------------------
Dave Gunsul
Activities Director
Northern IL. Fiero Enthusiasts.
86 GT mod.
85 SE V6 daily driver

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2002 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dave Gunsul:
Geez Rob, you just can't get a break.
Hmm, with that last sentence i think i can safely say my title as king of bad puns is still safe. <--------for the humor impaired.

Seriously though: glad you all made it back safe! To bad that had to happen though
i hope you all still had a good time.

Haha... nice. It was very punny

I definitely still had a good time. It's always fun to hang out and visit with the other owners (even if it's while I'm kneeling next to my car- and somebody's asking why I'm stealing the wheel off that car).

Really though- what better place to have the Fiero break down that in a parking lot with 130+ Fiero owners? Somebody else has already had the problem... and it turns out many had, and offered their words of wisdom. It's all good for now.

So... where's the best place to get the braided stainless brake lines (like the ones JCH nabbed in the raffle)?

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2002 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

MinnGreenGT

11545 posts
Member since Jul 2001
Doh! Double Post.

Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2002 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:
So... where's the best place to get the braided stainless brake lines (like the ones JCH nabbed in the raffle)?

Find out who makes them and contact the company directly. I know that Earls and Russel are two companies that make a set. In-line tube might also.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
86seyellow

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
User Banned

Report this Post09-10-2002 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86seyellowSend a Private Message to 86seyellowDirect Link to This Post
Rob,

I think the fierostore has these, Il check and if so they will be here quick,,let me know I could order them for you if you need them so we can do it saturday too

Ron

Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2002 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulDirect Link to This Post
They were from the Fiero store actually but i know where Josh lives.

------------------
Dave Gunsul
Activities Director
Northern IL. Fiero Enthusiasts.
86 GT mod.
85 SE V6 daily driver

Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2002 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86seyellow:
I think the fierostore has these

Yeah, but who would want to buy anything from the Fiero Store

If you need them quick they would probably be the fastest. You could save some money by getting them from just about anywhere else though.

AnimalGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2002 04:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AnimalGTSend a Private Message to AnimalGTDirect Link to This Post
Rob,
Check out Jeg's or Earl's. I've got a set of Earl's (#38... I assume that's 38cm) ready to go on my car.
Scott
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2002 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
First off, thanks to Tony (lowfierogt) for taking & emailing me this pic!

It doesn't quite show just how sweaty & dirty I was... but it's still a great picture!

As for the stainless lines... I just decided to order them from the FieroStore. I decided it was worth the extra dough to buy 'em from them and get them here a bit quicker. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock