Started on: 09-20-2002 10:30 AM
Replies: 161
Last post by: perkidelic on 01-20-2003 12:23 PM
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2003 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by California Kid:

I'll probably get flamed for this, but the Fiero is not a good choice for a 'fast' 1/4 mile car, no matter what mid-engine configuration. Reason: No aftermarket super duty transmissions that have been proven, no super duty CV Joints available off shelf that are direct replacements (even if you can fabricate better parts to work, trans is still an issue). Limited available final drive ratio of transmission, not very well suited for 1/4 mile.

1/4 mile times on Fiero's is just one single reference point of the overall performance, as some form of measurement. The overall performance numbers of what it will do under all circumstances is where the Fiero stands proud.

Mine has turned a 12.2 1/4 mile @ 118 mph and the top end mph of the car is approx. 179 mph. That's with a 3.61 final drive ration, which clearly tells you that it's screaming for a higher numerical final drive ration to turn faster 1/4's.

Bottom line is that 1/4 mile isn't everything. If all you care about is 1/4 mile performance, want to go below 11's, a car similar to the Mustang, is a better choice due to high performance part availability.

The Kid makes a few excellent points about drivetrain strength and the whole purpose of building a hot rod Fiero. Although there are some pretty fast Fieros on the Forum (his included) , the bottom line is that no matter how fast your Fiero is, the modified brand X car owner will always have the edge in the 1/4 mile. Other vehicles have the option of using traction bars, super duty U joints,full race trannys, high strength limited slip differentials, and have a WIDE selection of performance parts at their disposal..
As long as you don't expect to be king of the drags, a Fiero is still a very nice car to build, own, drive, and enjoy.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo Best 0-60 5.2 seconds
http://turbofiero.fierojoe.com/turbo.htm

IP: Logged
perkidelic

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2003 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perkidelicClick Here to visit perkidelic's HomePageSend a Private Message to perkidelicDirect Link to This Post
Excellent info LT-5Fiero, thanks for taking the time, and do it again soon!

As for the wheelstanding Hemi Under Glass, one must keep in mind that the car was design and engineered to pull and carry the front wheels for the entire 1320.

The point of building a drag race Fiero:
It is definitely possible to build a faster front-engine/rear-drive drag racer. I actually have a such a project that I put on hold to look into this. The problem is that the suspension needed to make a front-engine car effectively transfer enough weight for a good launch absolutely destroysits handling.

Enter the lowly, unlikely, Fiero. Mid-engine, great traction with stock suspension. The problems are weak components, and potential wheelstanding. What I have found is that there are strong components available, but they must be adapted and mated to this application. For me that is not a problem because I can do most of this work myself. After it has been done once or thrice it will become more feasible for others.

Front-engine/rear-drive racers started with a huge problem no traction and developed the second best dedicated straight-line racing format available. The best is mid-engine - Top Fuel baby!!! The front wheel drive Gen X & Yers were ridiculed, but they are now deep in the eights, and promising to hit the sevens real soon.

You have to look the challenge square in the face and rid yourself of any negativity to find what is truly possible. My guess is that the mid-engine/rear-drive format is the street-legal racers dream come true. How can you beat a car that can go, turn, and stop well?

As for making it work - some of the technology that works for the front drivers will work for us - remember a Fiero was based on the front-drive GM X-car drivetrain - relocated to the rear. There have been many possible solutions to the wheelstanding hurdle in this thread. I like to get way out there and explore the outrageous but when it comes time to put it into practice things like 100+% anti-squat rear suspension geometry, adjustable shock valving, trick torque converters, and even skillful left foot clutch work can all make easy work out of launching the car.

perk - phitown

IP: Logged
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock