Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Ok! How in the Hell did Pontiac do this???

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Ok! How in the Hell did Pontiac do this??? by FieroMonkey
Started on: 11-17-2002 09:09 AM
Replies: 13
Last post by: Fiero_Freak on 11-18-2002 12:55 AM
FieroMonkey

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2002 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMonkeySend a Private Message to FieroMonkeyDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know exactly what Pontiac did to squeeze 232hp out of the 2.5 4-cyl besides bore it to 2.7 (i know that alone simply is not enough). Any info would be greatly appreciated

I just rescued an Indy from the crusher yesterday. its only missing the seats, rims, and the head. Its in sad shape, but i could not let the car be crushed! its also a 4-speed which i guess is a little more rare than an auto. i will post pics of it when the sun comes up here. i would like to know if it is possible to duplicate what pontiac did to the first indy...

***The following story and images from www.calgaryfieros.com ***

Indy Pontiac Fiero
68th Indy 500
May 27, 1984

The 1984 Pontiac Fiero is among the most unique cars ever to pace the Indy 500. It is the only mid-engine car ever to pace the 500, as well as the shortest car to ever hold the honor. It is also one of very few 4-cylinder cars to pace at Indy.

However, the engine in the Fiero pace car was far different from the 92-horsepower version found in the production model Fiero.""This bored out 2.7L engine produced 232 horses and turned a lap at better than 136 MPH"". The car also featured an air intake located
above the roof to help cool the mid-engine car.

2000 pace car replicas were made available by Pontiac and were powered by a 2.5L 4-cylinder engine.

Anyone out there know, or happen to BE a good source of info on this indy, or all indys for that matter. I want to restore this car right. thanks a ton

------------------
Monkey
"No matter where I go...There's my car"

*Just arrived...84 Indy 4-spd
87 T-Top GT 2.8/5-spd
87 Hardtop GT 2.8/5-spd
97 Trans-AM WS6 6-spd
91 V8 Monster Miata 5spd
69 Mustang Coupe 302 4spd

Added 2 short movies
members.cox.net/lothe/

[This message has been edited by FieroMonkey (edited 11-17-2002).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2002 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
It was not a production 2.5L, It was a specially designed racing engine called the Super Duty 4 (SD4) The engine was designed and sold by Pontiac. The Fiero race cars had them. Kansas Race Products now sells the SD4 engines. These engines were capable of huge horsepower. The Rod Shop had a drag race car that put out 520hp! Do a search for "Pontiac SD4" on a search engine and you'll find out more info.

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2002 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 11-17-2002).]

FieroMonkey

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2002 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMonkeySend a Private Message to FieroMonkeyDirect Link to This Post
Dear GOD! I take that they are near impossible to attain, or extremely expensive. I would DIE for one of those blocks to put into my new(new to me,messed-up)Indy!

Does anyone have a URL for any shops that sells them, or know where i can obtain one? I would hope that it is possible to bolt it to the indy 4.10 4-speed.

I did a search but did not find as much info as i would like on the motor. The two posts here have been more informative. Thanks a TON OreiF and CoolBlue87GT. I love you guys

fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2002 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
You can buy Super Duty engines and parts here
http://www.kansasracingproducts.com/history.html

deleted this line

------------------

1987 GT - 2 Award 2002 WoW Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 11-17-2002).]

Oneredfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2002 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OneredfieroClick Here to visit Oneredfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to OneredfieroDirect Link to This Post
Send pics of your car sonn K. Next weekend I'm getting my Indy. 181,000Km average wear and tear for 2,600 Canadian. Plans to make it like the original. It would be cool to see the progress of your car and share any info/advice on the restorations.
Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2002 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
There are also a few used engines for sale. Expensive, but they can be found. When I was looking a few years ago, I found 2 for sale. One was 230hp for $6500 and the other was 275hp for $8000.
watts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2002 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post

[b]Originally posted by fierosoundPerformance parts for a regular Duke engine are here: http://www.amotion.com/p4.html

All I can say about this guy is HA!.

Good luck actually getting anything from him. I emailed hima list of about 2G's worth of parts I needed - said I was ready to buy them THAT DAY, or at least in very short order as soon as he could get 'em. No dice. He never emailed me back, phoned me, NOTHING.

Ended up sourcing everything myself, and now *I* sell performance cams for the duke instead of going to him! Hmmm... maybe it was an omen...

------------------
87/88 V6 5spd Notchback Hybrid

If I've helped you - rate me please!
My page: http://www.fieroclub.com

[This message has been edited by watts (edited 11-17-2002).]

Fiero_Freak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2002 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero_FreakDirect Link to This Post
There's a guy in my club, Gateway Fiero Club, who has the only set of original engineering plans and got them from the guy who was in charge of the project and paced the indy car. You actually can't buy an engine like the original one any longer. It's wasn't just a SD4, it was a variant of such. If anyone is really interested this guy has a whole set of plans, he also has one of the prototype race bodies, and he's having a rolling chassis built by one of the guys how built the original 6 frames.

------------------
87 GT Maroon w/ Silver Auto
87 Coupe Blue 5-speed
87 Coupe White Auto
86 SE Red w/ Black 3.2L w/ T-440
86 GT Gold 4-speed WrEcKeD (Should you be able to see the coolant tube and still be able to drive it?)

Coupe85

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2002 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Coupe85Send a Private Message to Coupe85Direct Link to This Post
Hey watts, you have pm.

------------------

Jesse_James

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2002 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jesse_JamesSend a Private Message to Jesse_JamesDirect Link to This Post
There's a guy here in Edmonton that has like 4 origional fiero superduty's sitting in his parts shop. He bought out most of Pontiacs High Performance products when they discontinued the fiero. He has pistons, engines and a whole shelf full of raceing transmissions. Very cool stuff to see.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
AznFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2002 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AznFieroSend a Private Message to AznFieroDirect Link to This Post
Does that say it ways 68 pounds?? Uh, that's why its so fast!
Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2002 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero_Freak:

There's a guy in my club, Gateway Fiero Club, who has the only set of original engineering plans and got them from the guy who was in charge of the project and paced the indy car. You actually can't buy an engine like the original one any longer. It's wasn't just a SD4, it was a variant of such. If anyone is really interested this guy has a whole set of plans, he also has one of the prototype race bodies, and he's having a rolling chassis built by one of the guys how built the original 6 frames.

First, The Pontiac Performance Plus has all the drawings, clearences, specs and parts list for the SD4 engines in the Pace car and also the Fiero IMSA race cars and the Fiero Drag Race car. It also has all the instructions on how to build a Fiero race car. They were ALL SD4's.

Second, Huffaker Built 75 race chassis' for IMSA Fiero's and assisted Spice Engineering with the Fiero GTP cars.

Finally, The prototype race bodies (all 3 of them), (Originally built by Diversified Glass) are on Display at Huffaker. They were used when Pontiac first started the race program and Huffaker used them in the wind-tunnel testing for the different spoilers.

BTW ~ John Callies, Didn't pace the car, He test drove it 2 weeks before the race.

Fiero_Freak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2002 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero_FreakDirect Link to This Post
I acually saw the drawings when Paul brought them to the last get together. All original mylar prints. The plans he had for the motor are not for the standard SD4 motor either. Paul actually stopped in TN at this John Callies (I'm guessing) house to pick them up and talk with him for a few hours. He brought some pics and everything. Guy had lots of other media, writeups, magazines and such. His pic was on all the covers with varies Fieros. He also verified the photos of Paul's body, and it is a one of a kind prototype. The rear he has is off a drag car version. This is all stuff from the inital startup of the program, not from the later variations of this setup. The guy he's dealing with in florida made the first few chassis, after that is was someone else who was making the others for various racing classes. I'd have to check back with him for specific names.. I know he said his chassis is being sent up next month. It's the seventh one (first for a individual) that this guy has built.
Just telling you what I saw...and it's all documented. You'd have to talk to this Paul guy. He's really VERY into it. Has two huge binders on his project. John was interested to hear how many of us are still into these little cars. He's doing work for Lingenfelder now. Designing clutches to stand up to the twin turbo vettes at the momennt.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock