Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  pics of the 4.9 that's going to beat Her86GT's turbo (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
pics of the 4.9 that's going to beat Her86GT's turbo by rockcrawl
Started on: 03-01-2003 09:23 PM
Replies: 91
Last post by: Dragon1 on 04-16-2003 06:50 AM
ED's85GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2003 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ED's85GTSend a Private Message to ED's85GTDirect Link to This Post
Rock, is that a trans cooler you are using for a engine oil cooler?
where's the Cat?

Ed

IP: Logged
rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2003 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
Pete, I don't have a pipe bender. I use mandrel J-bends and weld them together as needed. The pipes are painted with VHT flame-proof coating. Most of it will burn right off the first time they get really hot, but it makes for good pictures right now. The manifolds are done in Eastwood's hi temp coating, it's the best paint-on exhaust coating I've ever used. It doesn't come off.

Ed, That's an engine oil cooler with 1/2" tubes. Perma-Cool pn 691, the same one I have on my other two 4.9s. They go for less than $35. How anyone can justify not using one is beyond me. The 4.9 was designed to have an oil cooler, put one on it and rest easy.

No emissions testing means no cat required. I normally put one on anyway just to be a good guy and be prepared for if/when the laws change. I just decided not to this time.

Here's a picture of the torque strut rod. Made from a GM rear suspension link donated by PBJ.

westtexas

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2003 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for westtexasSend a Private Message to westtexasDirect Link to This Post
Rockcrawl,

Outstanding work! I envy your ability to learn fast and do quickly. I'm still betting on PBJ for max horsepower but yours may be more fun.

Robert

skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2003 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
John you are definitely taking the 4.9 install to a new level. Great work!

------------------

Red 88 GT T-Top 3800 Supercharged
White 88 GT Stock
Please give me a rating if you appreciate my contribution.

ED's85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2003 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ED's85GTSend a Private Message to ED's85GTDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rockcrawl:

Ed, That's an engine oil cooler with 1/2" tubes. Perma-Cool pn 691, the same one I have on my other two 4.9s. They go for less than $35. How anyone can justify not using one is beyond me. The 4.9 was designed to have an oil cooler, put one on it and rest easy.

No emissions testing means no cat required. I normally put one on anyway just to be a good guy and be prepared for if/when the laws change. I just decided not to this time.

Thanks Rock for including that part number,
I've been using a trans cooler on mine and been looking for a motor oil cooler.

No emmisions testing: Here in NC some counties do a full blown test some don't.
The county i live in (Iredell) just requires that the emissions equipment be there, it doesn't matter if it works (kind of silly to me) My 4.9 has a cat in it and i strive for it to work well, I believe in "clean performance"
My '74 Impala (camper/boat/tow dolly puller)
doesnt have cats but if i ever FI it, it will have them.

That's just my oppinion.

Ed

PS I forgot to mention how nice that motor is, i wish i had that kind of knowledge/skills to build something like that.
Good luck

PBJ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2003 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by westtexas:

Rockcrawl,

Outstanding work! I'm still betting on PBJ for max horsepower

You are a smart man!

Pete

------------------

Gallwin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2003 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GallwinClick Here to visit Gallwin's HomePageSend a Private Message to GallwinDirect Link to This Post
Rock what kind of mods did you make to the rocker stands?

------------------
88 GT, 4.9 Caddy v8, Getrag 5 speed, and a whole lot more.

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2003 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Any new pics?

Pete

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2003 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
I just put the engine in the car today. There's still lots to do.

It will be getting new paint and wheels when I'm done.

Toogy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2003 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToogySend a Private Message to ToogyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Her86GT:

We'll have to get Toogy and his camera down to Carlisle to make another great DVD.

YEEHAW

------------------

wiccantoy

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2003 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wiccantoySend a Private Message to wiccantoyDirect Link to This Post
damn jon we where just talking about this a few days ago. now you know when its time to help me get a motor from harrys soon, your going to have to tell me all about your intake

------------------

[This message has been edited by wiccantoy (edited 03-15-2003).]

PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2003 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Jon; Praise for rebuilding one of the hardest engines ever to rebuild. Absolutely beautiful job and a flowmaster exhaust to boot. That thing is going to run loud!!!.
I find the friendly competition that you've initiated with Pete humorous. It's going to be very interesting seeing the horsepower results of your effort but my money is on Petes turbo 4.9L. I guess we'll just need to wait and see.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo Best 0-60 5.2 seconds
http://turbofiero.fierojoe.com/turbo.htm

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2003 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
If I had to bet, I'd bet on Becky's car being more powerful. I'll see what I can do about that this summer

Her86GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2003 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Her86GTClick Here to visit Her86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Her86GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rockcrawl:

If I had to bet, I'd bet on Becky's car being more powerful. I'll see what I can do about that this summer

Hahahah. . .let's see - I'm up for it!

stevenrossi

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2003 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stevenrossiSend a Private Message to stevenrossiDirect Link to This Post
I'm lovin' this healthy competition between all u 4.9'ers. While you're out modding your hearts out i'm here lovin the stock free breathing 4.9 in the back of my car...well I guess it would be middle... .

Lookin' good and seeing that super charger on top of the 4.9 brings chills to my spine....I'd love to see a 1/4 mile aginst a 5.7. For instance a 4.9 w/ turbo (5 psi) vs. a 5.7 w/ a 5 psi turbo or something along those lines...I'm sure the 5.7 would take the cake in the end I would just love to see by how much. Great work guys and girls!

Jon...never seasse to amaize me...Pete and becky...you always amaize me

Steve-0

------------------

Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2003 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
coupla dumb (or at least real uneducated) questions...

do you think your intake will work as well as an allante' intake? that might be easier than looking/paying for one.

can the throttle body be mounted similarly but vertical? so as to be under an indy scoop? i don't know what that would do as far as extra linkage/flow probs.

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2003 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
The Alante has a large surge chamber and 8 equal length (or close to it) runners. More like a TPI or Ford EFI. Mine is not even close.

It would be easier to mount the throttle body pointing straight up, but it would make the throttle, TV, and cruise linkage almost impossible to connect.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2003 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Didn't realize that you were such a horsepower extremist like I am!!! If you add that Roots blower,don't expect to get a race challenge from me until after we run, dial in and my handicap has been established.
Still very interested in how your engine matches up against Pete and Beckys and also wondering about the durability aspect of the 4.9L with high compression and boost.
Both you guys seem to be be breaking new ground with your innovations.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo Best 0-60 5.2 seconds
http://turbofiero.fierojoe.com/turbo.htm

Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
User Banned

Report this Post03-17-2003 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
Damn! That looks like the 88 I was going to buy from you when I had the cash money from working long hours for tax season!

Looks like you're getting fancy with the adjustable coil-overs. And poly bushings too!

This one should be able to handle as good as it goes.

I like that blower on the caddy v8 more then the TDC. When we ran a turbo on the CBR, the power band of the turbo fought the cam's power band and it was not fun to drive. I think you'd have similar problems on the tdc.

I just put the engine in the car today. There's still lots to do.

It will be getting new paint and wheels when I'm done.

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2003 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
I started the car tonight for the first time. It sounds powerful It has quite a bit more growl than a stock 4.9. As soon as Becky hears it she's going to forfeit the race. I need to put the brakes back on and install the shifter and cables before I can drive it.

Damn! That looks like the 88 I was going to buy from you when I had the cash money from working long hours for tax season!

It's not too late. Just multiply the price by ten and we may have a deal.

Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-19-2003 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
That car's too nice for me now. Anything I bring into the city is going to be beat.

Anyone else notice the use of pockets on his mounts?

Very cool. Almost looks production.

PFF
System Bot
Her86GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2003 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Her86GTClick Here to visit Her86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Her86GTDirect Link to This Post

As soon as Becky hears it she's going to forfeit the race.

You make me laugh. . . I'm not afraid of a noisy Fiero - besides it's how the driver uses the power that wins the race

Dragon1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2003 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dragon1Send a Private Message to Dragon1Direct Link to This Post
Love the supercharger idea, are you serious or just teasing??? I have one of those, somebody gave it to me, it has bad nose shaft bearings. I threw it up on my 4.9 just to see what you might be up against and did see some problem issues. Firstly the nose is too long, you will either have to shorten it to move the blower to the left or raise the blower up a couple of inches so the throttle body clears the distibutor. If you are going to do this I'm sure you can make it work, look what you've accomplished so far!!! It will be very interesting though.

Dragon1/Brian

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2003 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
I do agree, the supercharger would be really nice on a 4.9. May even be better than but that would be another year.

------------------

HarryG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2003 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HarryGSend a Private Message to HarryGDirect Link to This Post
Rockcrawl,
Earlier, you mentioned the trans and clutch, but what are you using for a flywheel?
rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2003 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
The pic of the supercharger was just a teaser. PBJ and I had discussed it before he decided on the turbo. I think you can get a shorter nose for the M90(Supercoupe??), but the distributor is also in the way (crank trigger??). I'd also want to use a fabricated lower intake instead of the stock cast one. It's a lot of work for something that's not proven to work. I'm putting the SC on a 3.4 DOHC, which isn't garanteed to work well either, but it's a lot easier to do.

I'm using a FWD 60*V6 flywheel, redrilled. Please don't tell me how it's going to fly apart like a grenade or cut through my spine like a giant saw blade. I've already heard it from several people who have no experience of any such thing. I'll let you know when it happens, if I'm still alive.

Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-20-2003 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
Jon, I've been trying to get in touch with you about the totalled caddy with the 4.9, but either your line's busy or you're not home.

My parents weren't too keen on the idea of me buying a totaled car to pull an engine out of, so if you want it, give me a call or something.

I just noticed something, how is it that 170 people can take the time to rate me, but not even 50 have rated Pete or Jon? And they REALLY do help people. I must really piss people off good.

[This message has been edited by Howard_Sacks (edited 03-20-2003).]

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2003 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
I've had the car out for a few test drives and it's running great. The clutch seems to be working well. It's going to have to sit for a while because a friendly neighbor called the state police.
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2003 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Great to hear you got the car together and running well! Darn those neighbors! Is it THAT loud or just too hard to keep a machine like that under the limit??? hehe

------------------

19 Year Old Fierophile.
--1986 SE V6, Wild Custom Notchback
--1984 SE Modified Notchback

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2003 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Howard_Sacks:

Now that's COOL. I really like that way o doing it. I used two of those mounts on my Northstar. Is that the stock '88 mounting pad on the cradle?

Can it be done that way on the early cradle?

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2003 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
Incredible! Nice job!

[This message has been edited by Joe Torma (edited 03-23-2003).]

PFF
System Bot
rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2003 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
This is the first time I've had a problem with any of the neighbors. I live in a very rural area and I often run up and down the roads for test and tune. Besides not having the car registered or inspected, I wasn't breaking any laws.

It is louder than I like, but it sounds good. I guess it's the cam that makes it loud, I have the same muffler on another one and it's not even close. Well the manual trans makes it sound louder too because it's usually revving higher.

The mount uses a Energy Suspension 3-1108 poly mount with a built-in safety interlock. The 88 mounting pad is in the stock location with two new holes drilled. I assume the same can be done with the early cradle. I used the same 3-1108 mount on the front side of the engine with a simple piece of angle welded to the cradle.

there are a few more picts on my website http://www.fieroaddiction.com/caddy49c.html

TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2003 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post

I'm using a FWD 60*V6 flywheel, redrilled. Please don't tell me how it's going to fly apart like a grenade or cut through my spine like a giant saw blade.

Thanks, I need that image.....

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2003 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
I've been busy. The car I chose for this conversion was a mess. The brakes and suspension needed complete rebuild. So it's got new bushings, ball joints, shocks, rack bushing, 12" corvette rotors and Russell braided s/s hoses on all four. Most of which I was planning to do anyway. I finally got the car back on the ground today. I made some changes to the chip and it's running good. I may need to do something with the exhaust, the neighbors don't like it at all (dirty looks as they leap out of the way), and I surely wouldn't want to drive it every day. I may add a catalytic converter. The engine seems to have lost a lot of low end power (no surprise). It happily revs right up into and past the red on the V6 tach, but I never hit the 6000rpm limiter.

I also spent some time replacing body panels bofore I turn it over to my brother for a paint job.

[This message has been edited by rockcrawl (edited 04-13-2003).]

NOS3800

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2003 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NOS3800Click Here to visit NOS3800's HomePageSend a Private Message to NOS3800Direct Link to This Post
MAN, that thing looks mean! Hey, if its so loud, maybe you can win the next decibel contest! Looking forward to the next get together at Maple Grove for some match racing! What color are you getting it painted and you have to enter it in Modified notchback because I think LiLDV1L is the only car registered so far. Great Job! OH, How hard was it to change over the bushings in the suspension? Did you need a press? Thats my next project, suspension and balljoints!

Bill

------------------

Purple 1988 GT
Supercharged 3800 Series II V6

Best ET with 3.4 pulley-13.21@102mph

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2003 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
It will be the stock '88 red metalic or something really close to that, I think it's called medium garnet red. I may add some pearl over it. The car will be going into the spray booth as soon as V8Dreamer's GT comes out, which should be this Friday.

I can't believe lildvil and I will be the only modified notchbacks at Carlisle. PBJ will be driving my blue 4.9 coupe too, and what about Archie's stinger. There must be others.

I did use a press to remove the rear bushings, but it seems that only works on the '88 rears. On all the '84-87s I've done, and the front of 88s, I've either drilled or burned the bushings out. A little even heat from a torch on the outer sleeve and the rubber usually bursts into flame and shoots out the end The press method is much cleaner, but doesn't work if the rubber is still vulcanized to the sleeve. For some reason the 88 rear bushiongs just push out really easily. The poly bushings push in by hand or with a light tap of a hammer. You'll also need a press for the lower ball joints.

lildevil

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2003 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilDirect Link to This Post
Rockcrawl that car is looking great. May i offer a suggestion on the color? If you are looking for a red metallic take a look at the red that comes on the new vettes. I don't have the code off the top of my head but i can get it if you like. Its the color I would paint my car if I had the energy to repaint it...AGAIN.
And will that car be at Carlisle for sure? Will there be a dyno there for the import replicar show? Maybe we should get a bunch of our cars up on the dynos jus to see how they are running before Maple Grove.

------------------
Earl Sessions
1985 Fiero w/ 1998 Supercharged 3.8 V-6
Best ET: 12.689 @ 105.91mph

"NO Juice....Just BOOST!"

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2003 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
Earl, thanks for the tip on the Vette color, I'll definately check it out. Do you have a year, and maybe even the code? The car will be at Carlisle without a doubt, even if I have to trailer it for legal reasons. I've been busting my azz to get it done in time. The DynoJet will be at Carlisle again this year. They were charging $80 for three runs last year, and they were not doing much business. Maybe they'll lower the price for us if we make a group buy.
Street&Strip Performance

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2003 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Street&Strip PerformanceSend a Private Message to Street&Strip PerformanceDirect Link to This Post

Earl, thanks for the tip on the Vette color, I'll definately check it out. Do you have a year, and maybe even the code? The car will be at Carlisle without a doubt, even if I have to trailer it for legal reasons. I've been busting my azz to get it done in time. The DynoJet will be at Carlisle again this year. They were charging $80 for three runs last year, and they were not doing much business. Maybe they'll lower the price for us if we make a group buy.

2000-2003, it's Corvette Torch Red.

RPO: 70U
Name: Torch Red
Dupont Name: Torch Red Base Coat
WA #/Paint Code: WA-9075 / GM-70
Stock number: B9008

Exactly the colour I want my 86 when I get around to re-painting it.

[Edit]
If he meant the 50th Anniversary metallic.

RPO: 94U
Name: Anniversary Red Metallic
Dupont Name: Anniversary Red Pearl Metallic (Tintcoat)
WA #/Paint Code: WA-820K / GM-94
Stock Number: P4727 / P4728

Note: GM Part # for Anniversary Red Metallic Paint: #12346639
[/edit]

Derek

[This message has been edited by Street&Strip Performance (edited 04-15-2003).]

SDFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2003 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SDFieroClick Here to visit SDFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to SDFieroDirect Link to This Post
Hey, the Torch Red is the color I painted my car. Kool
You can see what it looks like on a car.
I guess they revived an old color as I picked it from a ppg book 2 years ago and it was listed for a '90 Buick.

Under bright/direct sunlight it appears more orange and shaded more red. I like it alot.

------------------

[This message has been edited by SDFiero (edited 04-15-2003).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock