Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  pics of the 4.9 that's going to beat Her86GT's turbo (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
pics of the 4.9 that's going to beat Her86GT's turbo by rockcrawl
Started on: 03-01-2003 09:23 PM
Replies: 91
Last post by: Dragon1 on 04-16-2003 06:50 AM
rockcrawl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2003 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
Look out Becky, you're in trouble! While you're waiting for that oversized hair dryer to spin up, I'll be zooming past you. I hope you won't feel too bad.

Cadillac 4.9, camshaft reground to Ford Motorsport E303 specs, Angus Racing Ford 5.0 roller rockers, Crane double valve springs for LT-1, 10.5:1 compression, port and pollish on heads and manifolds, TPI throttle body, Muncie 4 speed, RAM kevlar clutch. I thought you might like to see it.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2003 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post
That's a pretty sweet setup! Is it a twin 52mm or a 58mm? And with all that performance work you should get some custom headers made to open up that exhaust and let that beast breathe!

------------------

GTFiero1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2003 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
hey...you didnt happen to post this about 3 or 4 days ago did you and then something happen to it did you?

------------------

--Adam--
1987 Blue GT 5-speed
IM AOL: GTFiero
16 years old and already selling my stuff to pay for repairs to my Fiero...which i sold my stuff to buy in the first place

Coop9200

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2003 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Coop9200Click Here to visit Coop9200's HomePageSend a Private Message to Coop9200Direct Link to This Post
hahahaha this was the post i was responding to a few days ago and it all of a sudden disappeared...definetly looks like a beast of an engine. So clean too, i really need to figure out how to clean my engine...

good luck with it

-Coop

------------------

Dragon1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2003 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dragon1Send a Private Message to Dragon1Direct Link to This Post
Very Nice...

Dragon1/Brian

Tina

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2003 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinaSend a Private Message to TinaDirect Link to This Post
I see your up to no good

Very Nice

Tina

BTW Are we going to be able to see some footage of the battle

NOS3800

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2003 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NOS3800Click Here to visit NOS3800's HomePageSend a Private Message to NOS3800Direct Link to This Post
That motor looks GREAT! Is it a crate motor or did you rebuild and fix it up yourself? What car is it going into, your blue coupe? I have never heard of using FORD parts on a GM motor, how did you know to do that? What are the HP estimates on that motor? And finally, when are you guys getting together to race at Maple Grove again?? Sorry about all the questions.
OH< I think cleaning up the TPS wire fixed the problem with the high idle. I haven't had the problem all week!

------------------
" I'm sorry officer, when I saw all the strobes and stickers, I thought you wanted to race!"
" Speed Kills, buy a Neon or Honda and live to be an old man."
Purple 1988 GT
Supercharged 3800 Series II V6

Best ET with 3.4 pulley-13.21@102mph

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2003 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Well I've seen this intake and also the red one used before with the 'remote' TB hookup. Where are you getting the 'neck' pieces, or are those custom made??

------------------

19 Year Old Fierophile.
R.I.P.--1986 GT Daily Driver, 4:10s, NX 50 Shot, Borla exhaust, ported manifolds, more goodies
--1986 SE V6, Mostly stock W/Integrated rockers and COMING SOON: Intercooled Turbo!!! (possibly)
--1984 SE 4.9, IMSA spoiler, Duel exhuast, GT rear bumper, Konis, drop spindles, Rear adjustable perch, Poly total kit, Poly cradle bushings, Big front bar, Added rear bar, 11.25" brakes on all corners w/SS hoses, Fancy wheels wrapped w/soft rubber, and much much more.

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2003 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
Yep, this was the disappearing thread from a few days ago. Cliff says it was a case of two people posting at exactly the same time.

The throttle body is stock TPI. It's about 1 mm bigger than the stock Cadillac TB. The adapter is made of 1/8" steel plate and mandrel bent tubing. The intake manifold is bored out to match and radiused on the bottom of the bores. Part of the reason for using it is for compatability issues with the F-body ECM that I'll be using to run this one, but PBJ also reported signifigant tire smoking gains with a similar setup I made for their car using a 75mm LS-1 type throttle body. Something to do with the increased volume behind the throttle plates.

I'm using two front side Seville/Eldorado exhaust manifolds. After port matching, I don't feel they are too restrictive. They also happen to be the lightest of the four different manifolds used on the 4.9s. I'm using a Flowmaster 80, no cat.

The Ford cam profile was recommended by the grinder. It's a very popular roller cam amoung the Mustang crowd. .498/.498 lift 220/220 duration. The rockers were something I pioneered on my own. It took a bit of machine work on the rocker rails. The reason for using Ford style rockers is that they are pedastal mount. There's no simple and reliable way to put Chevy stud mount rockers on this engine. Ford also shares the same 1.6:1 ratio as Cadillac, with 1.7:1 available. I also needed to machine the heads for the bigger springs and higher lift. I have a lot of time in machine work.

The engine was cleaned with a hot water pressure washer. It was also entirely disassembled and painted which is why it looks so clean. It will be going into my Formula next week. It's the ugliest damn car I have. PBJ and Her86GT are coming down again in May, I've gotta get this done and tuned before then. We'll be putting them on the dyno to compare them to the two stock 4.9s we ran last year. We're gonna try to get to the Grove for some Friday night grudge racing. The caravan to Carlisle will be fun too, I'm sure.

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2003 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post

GREAT JOB!!!!!
You are the "CaddyMaster"!!

Get it in there...

Smooth~~

------------------

GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2003 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
so rockcrawl, do you think one would be able use the Allante intake and throttlebody with a chevy ECM? Thats what i was thinking on doing when i do my 4.9 hopefully starting this summer but i guess that might not work wit the chevy ECM. About how much do you think it would cost to have the machine work done to the heads the same you've done to yours?

------------------

--Adam--
1987 Blue GT 5-speed
IM AOL: GTFiero
16 years old and already selling my stuff to pay for repairs to my Fiero...which i sold my stuff to buy in the first place

PFF
System Bot
rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2003 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
The Allante 4.5, like the 4.9, uses a gear motor for idle speed control. In order to use an F-body ECM, you would need to adapt an IAC to it, either by replacing the throttle body or some other method. The Allante uses a staged twin bore throttle body. It looks like it would be fairly simple to adapt a TPI or LT-1 throttle body. I'll also warn you that you can't just plug in an F-body ECM and expect it to run. It takes hours and hours of tuning. Unless you can do it yourself, it'll cost you a bundle.

I did my own machining. Cutting the spring pockets and valve guides is basic, any auto machine shop should do it for ~$3 per valve. You can also rent or buy a tool to do it yourself. You can get the heads shaved for maybe $50 per head depending on how much you want taken off. Mounting the rockers is an entirely custom job, and unless you can do it yourself, it's probably not worthwhile. Considering the time I have into it and the cost of a set of used roller rockers, I'm not even sure if it was worthwhile for me to do it myself. Its just something I wanted to do. I also had clearance problems with the rockers. I made two 1/4" spacers to put under the valve covers.

Her86GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2003 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Her86GTClick Here to visit Her86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Her86GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rockcrawl:

We'll be putting them on the dyno to compare them to the two stock 4.9s we ran last year. We're gonna try to get to the Grove for some Friday night grudge racing. The caravan to Carlisle will be fun too, I'm sure.

Bring it on!!! I don't know why you made it so clean when it's gonna get dusty being behind me. We'll just have to see. Be careful now, I know how much you like cookies!

------------------

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2003 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
Ah, so that's what the cookies were for!! Trying to fatten me up before the big race, eh? Well, you'll need all the help you can get.
jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2003 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post
Looks and sounds sweet Rockcrawl!

Can't wait to see how that works! remember to get video too!

------------------

1988GT T-Tops, 5spd, Loaded

Her86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2003 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Her86GTClick Here to visit Her86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Her86GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jelly2m8:

Can't wait to see how that works! remember to get video too!

We'll have to get Toogy and his camera down to Carlisle to make another great DVD.

FieroGTT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2003 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTTClick Here to visit FieroGTT's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AkursedX:

That's a pretty sweet setup! Is it a twin 52mm or a 58mm? And with all that performance work you should get some custom headers made to open up that exhaust and let that beast breathe!

Stock TPI = 48mm

Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2003 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingDirect Link to This Post
u have a PM Rockcraw

------------------

GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2003 03:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
i just noticed something, how come the valve cover doesnt have the indented portion where the power steering resevior originally was?
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2003 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
Rock,

That is just a fantastic job. I'm really looking forward to seeing the dyno chart. Whale there is a big 4.9 contingent who say that "if you want more power, go with a SBC". You and PBJ have taken them on and dared to be different. The motor looks great. Keep upithe great work.

------------------
Roy

double-click on this link to follow my interior build-up https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/031255.html
*** UPDATED 1/24/03 ***

Blue 87 GT w/ 4th generation Firebird interior.
Suncoast Fieros

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2003 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to realize the valve cover. They've been modified. You can also see the 1/4" spacer in one of these pics.

PFF
System Bot
LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2003 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post
Very nice and clean, you'll have to get us videos of it when its all said and done

------------------
-KC
88 5spd, Formula

GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2003 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
how did you do that to the valve covers? Looks way better, IMO with the originals, it alway looked like a part was missing (well...because there was a part missing)
PBJ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2003 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Wow, I just keep looking over these pictures. And how it all looks meant. The cleaned up valve covers make a huge difference. I also like the double barrel upper plenum. There is a great attention to cleaning up the 4.9 V8's appearance, this is not an easy task.

But as for that hair drier remark, I think that is just nervousness on your part coming to the surface

Pete

------------------

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2003 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
A word of warning about grinding, cutting, filing, sanding, or welding the valve covers. They are made of magnesium. If you've never seen magnesium burn, you may be in for a surprize. I had a chip fly onto the work lamp when I was machining and it was hot enough to set it off. You need welding glasses to watch it burn. The chips can be easily lit with a match and they burn hot enough to melt through a coffee can. Don't ask me how I know
Neal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2003 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NealClick Here to visit Neal's HomePageSend a Private Message to NealDirect Link to This Post
That motor looks great!!!

whith all your mods what would a very rough power guesstimate be?

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2003 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
Great work 'rockcrawl'!!! You're going to have a real impressive car!

------------------

Click to Listen!

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2003 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
I don't have enough experience building and modifying engines to make an accurate guess on hp. I'm not expecting a whole lot. What's more important to me is that it should be much better suited for the manual trans. The cam (in a 5.0 Ford) moves the hp peak to about 5500 RPM vs 4100 for a stock 4.9. I'm sure the flow and design of the engine affects that number, but in any case it should move the useable RPM range up. I wonder if the bottom end will hold together at 6000 RPM? I haven't done any ballancing. The stock limit is 5300, not sure if that's to keep the valvetrain together or the bottom end, or both.
wiccantoy

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2003 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wiccantoySend a Private Message to wiccantoyDirect Link to This Post
rockcrawl
i was wondering why you have been so quite on here. nice work on the motor. hope it all works out. im glad your still here , im gonna need someone to help me with all my question when i find a 4.9

------------------
my little web page
www.geocities.com/cwandall/fiero.html

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2003 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Rockcrawl- that looks awsome, very impressive work! It's amazing the things you've been able to do with the 4.9L - and hopefully we'll all be pleasantly surprised with the dyno report

-Can't wait to see it sometime!

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2003 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
Here's a "Hello" from a 4.9 list friend!
NICE work on the valve cover(s)... I dont want to think of the time you spent on that project (shudder)... It looks great.

Wish I could be around to see you and Her86GT square off. Ya'll Please try to make it a 2 round bout bcz I plan on making the MFC/CFOG 20th show!

PFF
System Bot
intlcutlass

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2003 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for intlcutlassSend a Private Message to intlcutlassDirect Link to This Post
Do us all a favor and go eat some rice when finished!!!
intlcutlass

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2003 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for intlcutlassSend a Private Message to intlcutlassDirect Link to This Post

intlcutlass

1431 posts
Member since Nov 2002
Do us all a favor and go eat some rice when finished!!!
Denny

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2003 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DennySend a Private Message to DennyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rockcrawl:

A word of warning about grinding, cutting, filing, sanding, or welding the valve covers. They are made of magnesium. If you've never seen magnesium burn, you may be in for a surprize. I had a chip fly onto the work lamp when I was machining and it was hot enough to set it off. You need welding glasses to watch it burn. The chips can be easily lit with a match and they burn hot enough to melt through a coffee can. Don't ask me how I know

Yeah, and water won't put it out!

------------------
Mid Atlantic Fiero Owners Association
New England Fiero Association
Keystone State Chapter, P.O.C.I.
P.O.C.I.

Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
User Banned

Report this Post03-03-2003 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
How did I miss this thread?

Way to go!

Can't wait to see the numbers it puts out.

lildevil

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2003 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilDirect Link to This Post
That has to be one of the most unique looking setups in Fiero land rockcrawl! Looks Great!!! Can't wait to see it in person. Jus one question...will it fit under a stock decklid? Or are you using a over the roof scoop? Make sure you let me and Nos3800 know when you are planning on the track. I think the Allpontiac day is coming up soon. Oh...and how is Ryans car coming along? Last i heard he was getting ready to paint it.

------------------
Earl Sessions
1985 Fiero w/ 1998 Supercharged 3.8 V-6
Best ET: 13.125 @ 102.06 mph

Her86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2003 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Her86GTClick Here to visit Her86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Her86GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blakeinspace:

Wish I could be around to see you and Her86GT square off. Ya'll Please try to make it a 2 round bout bcz I plan on making the MFC/CFOG 20th show!

I'm up for that!

V8Dreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2003 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for V8DreamerSend a Private Message to V8DreamerDirect Link to This Post
It really is incredible how clean it looks, especially when seen in person...
Earl, I'm still working on prepping my car (it's in a non-insulated, non-heated garage)...and I don't know how you guys prep and paint cars all the time...what a job! Anyway, with Jon's (Rockcrawl's) help, my hood scoop should be part of the hood and it should all be smooth by the end of the week. As for the rest of the car...it's getting there.

Ryan

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2003 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
I finished the exhaust tonight...

PBJ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2003 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
The exhaust looks great. When did you get the pipe bender? Looks poweder coated too?!?

Pete

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock