Rear Mustang style scoop by 85GTV84FUN
Started on: 03-08-2003 09:32 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: fierocsp on 03-11-2003 12:39 PM
85GTV84FUN

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2003 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85GTV84FUNSend a Private Message to 85GTV84FUNDirect Link to This Post
There are 2 or 3 providers of this fibreglass part on ebay. Does anyone want to recommend a supplier that makes a quality part. I plan on installing it on an 85GT that has a rear wing. I need to get a little room for the air cleaner as the V8 needs to move up to the upper mounting holes on the passenger side motor mount to distance the electric WP from the right frame rail. Also any opinions about how a scoop looks in combination with a wing?
Thanks
Jeff

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroHarry

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2003 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroHarrySend a Private Message to FieroHarryDirect Link to This Post
Be very carefull about buying home made ones off e-bay.
I picked up one from a friend who had gotten his from e-bay and the edges (sides) where it touches the hood (front to rear) are way to wavy and will need completely glassed in to work.
I never got around to installing it just becausof that plus im thinking about using the hemi type one now days.....
Food for thought!

------------------

"If you want to blend in, take the bus!"
fieroharry@yahoo.com
FOCOSEVA & CFOG-I

CTFieroGT87

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2003 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTFieroGT87Send a Private Message to CTFieroGT87Direct Link to This Post
Pat Kalsmith of www.fibersmith.net makes those, I believe. His fiberglassing is beyond satisfactory!

------------------
Christian Thomas
87 Pontiac Fiero GT Maroon/Silver

cadaver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2003 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cadaverSend a Private Message to cadaverDirect Link to This Post
There is a company on ebay called I think M/P Motorsports or something like that. Call sign Witchblade13. Never buy anything from them. There 'glass is far inferior.
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2003 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
I have Pat's (Fibersmith) Deck scoop. Quality was good, but as with any fiberglass piece, there is some finishing to be done.

Works fine with a wing too

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

Voytek

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2003 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VoytekSend a Private Message to VoytekDirect Link to This Post
I have Pat's as well. the quality is SUPERB. You can get them from Pat with the lip underneath so you can just bolt on, or you can glass it in. I belive the website address above is correct (or maybe it's www.fibersmith.com, not .net but I could be wrong.
Good luck with it.

------------------

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2003 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post
LOL.. I also have Pat's..
Quality is GREAT!!

See sig for a rearview...

Smooth!!

------------------
SmoothFieroGT@Yahoo.com

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2003 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post

Smoooooth GT

8823 posts
Member since Jun 2001
I forgot to add that there is a person that use to go by "Outlaw Performance" and change there name from time to time. They are from St. Petersburg, Fl. Beware anyone from that city...

Smooth!!

85GTV84FUN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2003 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85GTV84FUNSend a Private Message to 85GTV84FUNDirect Link to This Post
Thank you all,
Pat will get my business.
Jeff
85GTV84FUN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2003 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85GTV84FUNSend a Private Message to 85GTV84FUNDirect Link to This Post

85GTV84FUN

351 posts
Member since Jan 2003
Minngreen,
Do you have any inside hood shots of that install? Are you actually using it to vent heat or just looks? ( looks great BTW) I have few ideas about using it to dump directly some heat from my exhuast with the help of an electric fan there !!!.
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2003 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85GTV84FUN:

Minngreen,
Do you have any inside hood shots of that install? Are you actually using it to vent heat or just looks? ( looks great BTW) I have few ideas about using it to dump directly some heat from my exhuast with the help of an electric fan there !!!.

You'll probably really like this old thread (heck, I should've pointed you here in the 1st place!): https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20030204-2-023919.html

Yes, I did cut the inside of the decklid as well... just 5-sided shape directly above the plenum. I'm not running any fans or anything, but there is definitely heat coming out of the vent (you can feel it- at least while stopped). I haven't done a "streamer test" yet to see exactly what & where the airflow is moving around the scoop. I'm not planning on adding a fan for the 'stang scoop- but I may add some under the stock "heat vents" on both sides to accelerate the air movement there.

Revin, on the other hand, is/was running a series of small PC fans near the opening of his deck scoop to assist the airflow (I can't seem to locate a link to the original thread on this one- maybe Revin can provide us with another pic?)

PFF
System Bot
D-Ri2k4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2003 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for D-Ri2k4Send a Private Message to D-Ri2k4Direct Link to This Post
Cardealer has a rear scoop similar to that of a cowl on an old 'maro with an electric fan under it on his V8 fiero... I have some pictures of it, but I haven't the slightest idea how to post them, so maybe he will...

Altho... he has done some body work since the pictures were taken so he might not have it anymore (I didnt see under the decklid when I last saw it)

-DRye

batboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2003 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
I installed a Mustang style fiberglass hood scoop that I bought from M/P Motorsports. Initially, I was very disappointed with the fit and finish, but with some time and work, it turned out nice. Here is my post that documents my adventure, complete with pics (see link below). Installing the scoop on a notchback is a little harder than putting one on a GT, because of the rear deck lid "bump". Mine is fully functional and the link I provided shows how I cut the deck lid to make it functional. I have a Dodge Shadow spoiler, but it'll be ok with a Fiero wing too.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/021662.html

[This message has been edited by batboy (edited 03-11-2003).]

fierocsp
No longer registered
Report this Post03-11-2003 12:39 PM   Send a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Get the scoop from your local swap meet or wrecking yard. Should cost no more than $25, at least in the south the going rate is averaging $25. Check on e-bay also.
I paid $20 for the scoop and the entire mustang hood, the person would not part with the scoop without the hood too.
The mustang scoop is from '79 to '84. There are a dime a dozen here in Texas, because all mustang owners are swapping them out for the newer cobra scoops.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock