Started on: 05-09-2003 10:03 AM
Replies: 10
Last post by: Smoooooth GT on 05-11-2003 12:44 PM
skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2003 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
I had a thread in the TECHNICAL section but as more information is coming to light I felt the danger is strong enough that it should be posted in GENERAL so more people might see this thread. The information that is being learned is that it is not just the colored loom/sheath material but is the aftermarket loom no matter what color it is.
Apparently most of aftermarket loom only has a rating of 200 degrees at best. Now that is barely above the temperature of heat from a radiator hose. Be extremely careful when using aftermarket loom material in any area greater than 200 degrees which is most of the engine compartment. Even if you have the material on top of the engine it could melt and drip down to the exhaust and start a fire. Here are some important quotes from the previous thead.

Originally posted by skitime:

I have seen several people using non-factory pretty colored plastic sheathing to cover their wires wraps. Looks great but is not really automotive quaility. The problem is it is cheap plastic and melts anywhere near heat. I even saw one car that used it and it dripped off the wire wrap and onto the manifold and started burning. Another car arrived to my house and the person was going to proudly show off his engine. The plastic sheathing had melted into a big mess. Sure hate to see a nicely done Fiero engine in which the wire sheathing started a fire that causes the lose the whole car. If you are going to try colored sheathing test it first. Put a piece near some heat in the engine and drive around for a day and see if it can take the heat. Do not put plastic sheathing wrap around the spark plug wires. I personally have not seen colored sheathing capable of being as close to the manifold as the factory stuff so be careful.

Originally posted by litespd:

Skitime brings up a good point. A caravan of our club members was on our way home from the FOCOA show in Osage Beach last summer, when one of the cars (A yellow 88GT) pulled over on the shoulder of the Interstate. We didn't know what was happening until he came to a stop, and that was when we saw the smoke come rolling out of his engine louvers. He had put the decorative sheathing on his spark plug wires for the show. Unfortunately, he didn't get the high temperature sheathing. In the heat of the engine compartment, it caught fire. Luckily for him, the spark plug wires and harness burned through, causing the engine to die. We got the fire put out quickly, but he had to replace all the plug wires, part of the harness, the coil, all of his vacuum lines, and do a considerable amount of scrubbing to get the soot off of everything.

Originally posted by Paul Prince:

The original slit tubing made by one of GM's divisions is a high-temp plastic, the highest temp rating has a white stripe down the middle, some have green stripes, and are used in the front for AC harness, etc.
There are vendors (wholesalers) that will sell you the white stuff (that's the good news). The bad news is you have to buy like 2500' rolls and it is like a buck a foot.
About every month I go to the local U-Wrench-It and find the newest car and take as much of the white as I can find.
You would think some company would offer the GM stuff for sale (although it would not be cheap...........Paul

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

Check out Waytek Wire: www.waytekwire.com. They have four grades of corrugated loom, both slit and unslit, in 12 different diameters:

Black polyethylene (rated 200 degrees F)
Gray polyethylene (200 F, flame retardent)
Black nylon with gray stripe (300 F)
Green polypropylene (275 F, flame retardent)

Other grades and colors are available by special order. About the only down side is that since they are primarily an industrial supplier, the minimum purchase quantity is a full 100 foot length (about $20 to $25). Waytek has lots of other essential wiring stuff like GM/Delphi Weather-Pack and Metri-Pack connectors, dielectric grease, etc. Before you can order you need to get their free catalog, which you can request from the Waytek web site.

I hope this helps.

Originally posted by GTDude:

FIRE !!!!!!! Now we're talking about something I know about.......LOL. I was just thinking about it and the car I bought in Florida had that colored loom stuff all over the place. Very possibly the cause of the fire that burned it up. I remember a smell and thinking it was prob coolant, since It had been overheating, but it could easily have been these wire looms. Well, I for one, will stay away from them for good. Just in case.........LOL.

Phil

Originally posted by JD86GT350:

I thought I'd go right to the source.

Here an email response from Taylor, the manufacturer of my colored loom.

If they're smart they'll start putting that warning on the bags.

The plastic convoluted tubing has no heat rating because it has a very low melting point and is not designed for heat protection, but merely to tidy up loose wires for better appearance. These should not be used close to a significant heat source.

Thank you for choosing Taylor,

Taylor Cable Products, Inc.
Customer Service Representative
800-821-3600
info@taylorvertex.com

Note to RacinRob – I added you comment after the previous one for obvious reasons.

Originally posted by RacinRob:

I bought some stuff from Summitracing.com. It is made by taylor. I was held up so far. However, I have not put it on the wires yet. It has only been on for about a month, but it did last through some drag racing. The engine comp. gets pretty hot while you are sitting in the staging lanes. I will let you know how it turns out. On the bright, the stuff I got from taylor was the least expensive, it beat the price of the stuff on ebay and locally. Taylor is a well known brand and I think that it is good quaility. I will let you all know how it holds up.

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

YES YES YES
most of them colored looms are for decorative use only! Use only in low temp areas! The cheap stuff at the stores gets brittle real quick also.

------------------

Red 88 GT T-Top 3800 Supercharged
White 88 GT Stock
Please give me a rating if you appreciate my contribution.
History of Skitimes Car

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
CC Rider

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2003 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderDirect Link to This Post
Have you posted this on the Yahoo 3800 conversion web page as well ?
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/3800V6SuperchargedFieros/
skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2003 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CC Rider:

Have you posted this on the Yahoo 3800 conversion web page as well ?
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/3800V6SuperchargedFieros/

No, I have not but it is a good idea since most of use 3800 guys had to make some wire harnesses.

Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2003 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingDirect Link to This Post
Thanks ski ok so were can i get red loom stuff that is hi temp because i dont want to burn up my car

j Sokol

------------------

skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2003 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieroking:

Thanks ski ok so were can i get red loom stuff that is hi temp because i dont want to burn up my car

j Sokol

From what I have been able to learn about the nylon loom is that most aftermarket wire loom material is not suited for the engine compartment. The loom seems to fall into two catagories.

Convoluted Slit Loom (all colors including black)

-30° to +200°F temperature range. Many sites advetise this as "For Decorative Use Only" some advetise Not For Engine Compartment

Automotive High Temperature convoluted slit loom

-30° to +300°F temperature range. All high temperature slit loom is distinctly marked with a grey or white stripe running the entire length. I have only found this in black.

[This message has been edited by skitime (edited 05-09-2003).]

Fieroking

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2003 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingDirect Link to This Post
So will it be ok if i have it on my injector wiring harrness i will post a pic soon as i get home

J Sokol

thanks

ski

------------------

Fiero5

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 367
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2003 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post
Ski, isn't that supposed to go:
"Danger, Danger Will Robinson"?
Paul Prince

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2003 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul PrinceSend a Private Message to Paul PrinceDirect Link to This Post
As long as Ski brought the subject up, the other danger is that people will use regular automotive "primary" wire from auto parts stores to use is the engine compartment.
Not a good Idea. The OEM wire is a silicone jacketed wire rated at 250 to 300F. The stuff you buy from the auto parts is rated at 176F as is standard electrical tape.
Put that stuff in your engine, and your asking for a short.
Painless Wiring sells an OEM replacement wire rated at 275F, comes in colors and in 25 to 50' rolls. I buy it through Summit.
There is also a silicon based electrical tape sold here through True Value hardware called "Tommy Tape" and the rating on it is 500F. It does not have an adhesive on the back, but is rather a co-adhesive i.e. it adheres to itself.
3M also makes a variety of hi temp fiberglass type tapes, but are hard to find.
Don't go to all the trouble of getting a quality slit tubing, only to put a wire in it that WILL melt.....Paul
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2003 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Being there. Not only the colored ones. I used some black loom with same metling results. Basicaly any cheap loom 6" close to my headers will melt. Trunk firewall usage has been ok.

------------------

Justinjob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2003 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinjobSend a Private Message to JustinjobDirect Link to This Post
I've had that stuff melt on my truck-it was dripping right onto my exhaust manifold, after I saw that I took it off and won't use it again underhood.

------------------

'86 Pontiac Fiero SE 2.8
'75 Fiat 124 Sport Spider 1800
'88 Ford T-Bird 2.3 Turbo Coupe This car is for sale! 2.3 l. 4cyl w/T-5 turbo-fast and fuel efficient, alarm, cd player, LCD in dash. Email if interested.
'67 Chevrolet K10

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2003 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post
This is a very good head's up thread Ski... Thank's!!

------------------

SmoothFieroGT@Yahoo.com

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock