Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  A History of Monza76's car, OK so I am not serious! (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
A History of Monza76's car, OK so I am not serious! by Monza76
Started on: 07-13-2003 03:05 PM
Replies: 152
Last post by: Monza76 on 09-24-2003 02:12 PM
Monza76

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2003 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Steve, you never cease to amaze me!

How do you keep flies and things out of the paint?

Ira

Wow! I have never posted anything that made it to two pages before.

[This message has been edited by Monza76 (edited 07-16-2003).]

IP: Logged
Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2003 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post

Monza76

1298 posts
Member since Jul 2002
Here is a colour scheme I was considering when I complete the hood vent. It would be temporary, until I can get a paint job (could be years).

Now I am considering something a little less radical:

Any comments or suggestions?
Ira

[This message has been edited by Monza76 (edited 07-23-2003).]

85SE
From: Paradise, Newfoundland, Canada (yes, the town is named Paradise!)

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2003 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEClick Here to visit 85SE's HomePageSend a Private Message to 85SEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monza76:
Now I am considering something a little less radical:

Any comments or suggestions?
Ira

[This message has been edited by Monza76 (edited 07-16-2003).]

Ira,

I'd vote for the second one. I've always thought that a car with an all-black hood looked like it had been in an accident and the hood was from a junker.

Course, that's just my opinion

Cheers,
Andrew

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2003 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Andrew, I agree that the Black centre looks better, I am a little ahead of myself however since I haven't done the fiberglass work yet.

BTW I will be in Western Bay in a couple of weeks, bound to take a trip to St. John's, email me with your phone number and I will give you a call if I get to town. Won't have the Fiero though, still some suspension issues which are not resolved due to fiscal restraints

Any other opinions?

Ira

[This message has been edited by Monza76 (edited 07-17-2003).]

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2003 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
First attempt at wet sanding my vented hood, the fibreglass work is next:
Here is the vent, see the radiator? There should be lots of airflow here(NOTE: the grills have not been installed yet, they will go in during the fibreglass work.)

Here is the hood after wet sanding with 400grit 3M waterpaper:

No shine but notice how the colour is back, I am hoping that rubbing compound and polishing compound will get the shine back:

[IMG]

Anyone have any suggestions or tips on how to do this?
(The centre of the hood will be painted with the same "bumper black" as the edge of the rear wing, see the drawing above)

Ira

------------------
The Iron Duke Resource Site

Sig design by MinnGreenGT

KRuzn MAchines

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2003 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KRuzn MAchinesSend a Private Message to KRuzn MAchinesDirect Link to This Post
cool, keep me posted on that hood scoop project. I'm about done with fiberglassing. Too bad my SE will sit around with just the primer on it for awhile when i'm done. Cause I will almost make it like a crazy fiberglassing project like smooth's. I know I have no rep. like smooth, so NO, i am not claiming to be anywhere as good as him. Thanks..Laterz

Kruz

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2003 06:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Here is what my car will soon look like:

Wish me luck. BTW feel free to use the drawings but please give credit.

Ira

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2003 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Adapt-overcome-perservere. Great thread. We ALL have a budget to work within, (mine's small & sometimes non-existant.) Great effort & results. Thanks for sharing.
Bazooka

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2003 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BazookaClick Here to visit Bazooka's HomePageSend a Private Message to BazookaDirect Link to This Post
Monza,
Nice work and great results. I enjoyed seeing your pics. Keep up the nice work.
KRuzn MAchines

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2003 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KRuzn MAchinesSend a Private Message to KRuzn MAchinesDirect Link to This Post
I'd like to keep this one on top.

Kruz

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2003 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
As the old Bartles and Janes ads would say, "Thank you for your support".

I finished the wet sanding and then used rubbing compound to get some shine back. I will try the fiberglass this weekend if I get time, then it is body filler and paint and ready to go.

I will post more pictures when they are available, I won't compress the final pictures as much so you can get a better look.

Ira

PFF
System Bot
Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2003 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Well, finally got the nerve to tackle the fiberglass (first timer), here are the results:
Here is the mess:

And from above:

Can't wait to get the body filler and paint done.

Ira

KRuzn MAchines

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2003 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KRuzn MAchinesSend a Private Message to KRuzn MAchinesDirect Link to This Post
Ira, I live in Kansas so I can't meet ya. Do you think I could give you a call?

Kruz

Gordo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2003 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GordoSend a Private Message to GordoDirect Link to This Post
Great thread! It's very refreshing to see a "budget build up". I have also enjoyed your great web site.

"+" from me.

------------------

KRuzn MAchines

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2003 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KRuzn MAchinesSend a Private Message to KRuzn MAchinesDirect Link to This Post
Ira, my scoop project is in a bad way!! I need your help!! ASAP, please...
Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2003 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
KRuz, I sent you an email.

A little paint does wonders, this should dry to a semi gloss black close to the stock colour. (I used bumper black).

Ira

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2003 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
KRuz, if you are out there, report in, let me know how things are going.

Ira

KRuzn MAchines

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2003 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KRuzn MAchinesSend a Private Message to KRuzn MAchinesDirect Link to This Post
I'm still living strong. I think that with sanding and a little more fiberglass I can really blend in well with the hood. I'll leave it alone for a little bit cause I'm going to be really modding up the body on this project car. Ira, Pm and i'll give you some of my ideas and you tell me what you think. I have an idea about your hood color too. I'll post it in a second. I want to keep this subject up at the top as well, cause you deserve it. So BUMP away..!

Kruz

------------------
Call me Kruz

KRuzn MAchines

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2003 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KRuzn MAchinesSend a Private Message to KRuzn MAchinesDirect Link to This Post

KRuzn MAchines

1102 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Ira, here are some of my hood ideas. A solid that has a penstripe on the side. Idea was taken from a porsche. The only difference in pics is how far it extends. Take a look!

KRuzn MAchines

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2003 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KRuzn MAchinesSend a Private Message to KRuzn MAchinesDirect Link to This Post

KRuzn MAchines

1102 posts
Member since Jul 2003
P.S. The solid black goes down into the warber and does not extend past the edges. The penstripes go on the outside of the edges.

Kruz

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2003 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
KRuz ...Like your stripe ideas, I should have mine finished within the next two weeks (pretty busy now with a university paper) and I'll post pictures of the final form.

BTW you have a pm.

PFF
System Bot
Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2003 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Got no response to my question about body filler so I came up with my own solution:

Some wire messh from an old outbox will be wired into place and then the bodyfiller will have something to adhere to.

Here is the shape of the piece:

It does not match the grill material (the proper hexagonal pattern) because it will be covered with bondo:

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Ira

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2003 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post

Monza76

1298 posts
Member since Jul 2002
Bump for GT-X to have a look.

Ira

Fiero5

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 367
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2003 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post

Steve, you never cease to amaze me!

How do you keep flies and things out of the paint?

Ira

Wow! I have never posted anything that made it to two pages before.
]

That is what wet sanding is for
To get the bugs out

Oh, and congrats on your first page two thread :

To respond to your latest question at the bottom of this page, what my Dad does on areas like your side vent spot where you want to have something for the filler to bond to, is he will take some fiberglass cloth and cut a strip out the size he needs and then he takes and mixes up some of that 5 minute epoxy stuff that has two glue chambers in it that when you sqeeze down on the top handle it squirts out the two chambers of glue into one. He then quickly soaks the piece of fiberglass cloth into the stirred and well mixed epoxy and lays it out on the area he is working on, continually forming it in the area and shaping it the way he wants it until the epoxy starts to harden (usually only a minute or two so you have to work kinda quickly) and as it hardens it begins to keep its shape. When hardended it is now permently "glued" to that area which also gives you something for the bondo, tiger hair, more epoxy soaked cloth or what have you stick and mold on to.
Remember to sand and rough up the area you want to glue this on top of first, as it won't stick to smooth or shiny surfaces as well as a rough or grooved surface.

Try it sometime. It's a family Fiero repair secret though so don't tell anyone else

BTW: Your idea with the cut section of wire screen is a great idea also.

Steve

------------------

Now over 400 pics of our 18 Fieros: http://www.cardomain.com/id/fiero5

[This message has been edited by Fiero5 (edited 07-23-2003).]

GT-X

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2003 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-XSend a Private Message to GT-XDirect Link to This Post
yes Ira body filler on the sides and dont be afrais with it its very forgiving if you dont have enough you can always add more and iff you have too much you can sand it off (or use a rasp if theres alot) lookin good so far thoughalso if you want a thin coat of filler over the dlass on the bottom then block sanded would really smooth it out but it doesnt look bad how it is, just a suggestion PM me if you have any more questions. oh and i like the stripe version!

Tyler

------------------

85 LT4 GT
Custom Everything
in progress

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2003 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Thanks Steve and Tyler, I used 5 minute epoxy to glue the wire mesh into place (the actual grill is screwed to the aluminum at the bottom and fbglassed to the underside of the hood at the top (see earlier pics)). I also sanded back a small distance from the opening so that the bondo can wrap over the edge.

here is one side:

and here is the other:

Here is my workbench, I transferred from a stack of winter tires to the 1984 in my driveway, must be great to have a garage:

Thanks guys, let me know if I have done anything wrong.

Next time I try something like this I think I will go with a Lancia Stratos style (with the FordGT/GT40 it is one of my favourite mid engine cars), a large rectangular panel of louvers in the centre of the hood.

Ira

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2003 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post

Monza76

1298 posts
Member since Jul 2002
I just re-edited this entire thread, I removed all of the unnecessary pictures, so it is now a little friendlier to slower internet connections. It is also less repetitive, I hope I have been of some help to any of you who thought customizing a Fiero required lots of money.

Anyone who has any comments or suggestions please post.

Some paint questions, will spray cans of touch-up paint (colour matched from an auto parts chain store - Canadian Tire -) be able to cover the bondo effectively? What type of primer should I use? Will a combination of wet sanding and rubbing compound, blend the new paint with the old (if the colour is right)?

I am asking because I will not do the black centre stripe unless I cannot blend the correct red for the finished hood.

Ira

------------------
The Iron Duke Resource Site

Sig design by MinnGreenGT

KRuzn MAchines

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2003 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KRuzn MAchinesSend a Private Message to KRuzn MAchinesDirect Link to This Post

Got no response to my question about body filler so I came up with my own solution

That's always the way to go!

Kruz

GT-X

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2003 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-XSend a Private Message to GT-XDirect Link to This Post
blending from the old paint to the new isnt that hard just take your time but color matching is a pain

Tyler

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2003 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Former post moved to page 3.
Ira

[This message has been edited by Monza76 (edited 08-04-2003).]

fierogsmith

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2003 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogsmithSend a Private Message to fierogsmithDirect Link to This Post
Hey Ira , Good to see your rateing bar ! Your always here helping PFF members, about time people showed their appreciation .

Galen Smith
Red '85 Sport Cpoupe
Founder of Suncoast fiero club
florida Fiero council

PFF
System Bot
Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2003 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Hey, I didn't even notice the rating bar, Thanks for drawing my attention to it Galen.

Ira

KRuzn MAchines

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2003 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KRuzn MAchinesSend a Private Message to KRuzn MAchinesDirect Link to This Post
everyone should rate me, I'm a nice guy!! LOL

Kruz

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2003 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Kruz, I already did but nothing show until you have 50 ratings I believe. I was around 1000 posts before mine showed up.

Ira

BTW how is the hood going, mine is on hold until the rain stops, wish I had a garage.

KRuzn MAchines

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2003 03:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KRuzn MAchinesSend a Private Message to KRuzn MAchinesDirect Link to This Post
Its going okay, just have sanding to do and smoothing into the hood. I have been working on my truck lately more though. Not because its a project car but its a real mint dodge ram and i'm really trying to get every detail perfect. She's really a classic beauty. But yeah right now, I'm just thinking of more and more ideas to do for the project car. Talk to me, I'll share some ideas with you and I would appreciate your feedback. PM me about it, I don't want to share on here yet, or email me. Later Ira. And back to the top this thread goes!!

Kruz

KRuzn MAchines

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2003 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KRuzn MAchinesSend a Private Message to KRuzn MAchinesDirect Link to This Post
back to the top, ira!
KRuzn MAchines

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2003 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KRuzn MAchinesSend a Private Message to KRuzn MAchinesDirect Link to This Post

KRuzn MAchines

1102 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Update pics, Ira???

Kruz

------------------
Call me Kruz

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2003 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Between trying to complete a Master's Thesis and taking wedding pictures today, and the rain yesterday, there has been no progress on anything. Don't worry, I like posting new stuff so this thread will reappear when I have something.

Ira

KRuzn MAchines

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2003 03:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KRuzn MAchinesSend a Private Message to KRuzn MAchinesDirect Link to This Post
Maybe if I keep bumping this I can get to a page 3 and motivate Ira to get it done!! Just kidding!

Kruz

P.S. I know you have alot to do but we are all waiting...tisk tisk

KRuzn MAchines

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2003 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KRuzn MAchinesSend a Private Message to KRuzn MAchinesDirect Link to This Post
Has it stopped raining yeeeeeet???

Kruz

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock