Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  A History of Monza76's car, OK so I am not serious! (Page 4)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
A History of Monza76's car, OK so I am not serious! by Monza76
Started on: 07-13-2003 03:05 PM
Replies: 152
Last post by: Monza76 on 09-24-2003 02:12 PM
Monza76

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2003 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Steve,

Yep, I have the stock exhaust (and a spare out behind the shed). I have often looked at exhaust options but haven't really reached a point where the higher priority items were taken care off (like the extensive transplants my car has had already). As you can see the vented hood is now just in need of final paint, and hopefully I can get enough things in order to get 15" tires before winter sets in (I posted in Jordan's thread that I will probably paint them like you have painted his). I have to get two ball joints and get my rear struts installed and then a wheel alignment.

Hope the pet problems are turning out OK.

Thanks pal!
Ira

[This message has been edited by Monza76 (edited 08-16-2003).]

IP: Logged
Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2003 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Before:

After:

Big improvement.

It isn't perfect but at least it is presentable.

Ira

Fiero5

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 367
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2003 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post
We used rattle can Rustoleum chrome paint on Jordans rims with rattle can clear coat over that. Came out pretty good and gave Jordan that import or aftermarket rim look that he wanted.

Ira, as I am sure you know, a stock Fiero V6 dual exhaust will mount perfectly and line up with all the mounting points underneath of a 4 cylinder Fiero.
Did you ever consider a dual exhaust for your Fiero? Just cut off your existing exhaust directly after the cat, and then flare the pipe end on the replacement pipe to slide over the pipe end from the cat and then clamp on the "new" dual exhaust and hang it near the rear of the car and whalaah! Takes about an hour and looks sweet!

Steve

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2003 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Well Steve,

I have considered that, I remember your red Fiero with the stripes and graphics, you showed your dual exhaust system on that one back when I did the web pages for you.
Remember this?:

That was a four with the V6 exhaust wasn't it? And I guess Jordan's car as well?

I missed out on a chance to get an 85 GT exhaust about three years ago, the guy sent it to the crusher before I could "harvest" the front suspension, exhaust and other parts. Terrible shame. If I find a V6 system I will definitely mount it up.

I'll be using "rattle can" Tremclad, basically the same as Rustoleum but available at Canadian Tire (in large cans). That is what I used on the 14s (steel and aluminum), I'll get the clear coat as well this time, and probably paint the rim and all (not as shiny but will not corrode).

Thanks again

Ira

[This message has been edited by Monza76 (edited 08-17-2003).]

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2003 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Bump for Steve to see his old car
Fiero5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2003 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post
That's my baby, my fifth Fiero so the license plate reads "Fiero5":

I still have it .

This was the Fiero I was taking to shows the year i joined Pennocks, hence my Pennocks id name.
Now that I look back I should have come up with something a bit better for an id than that.

My Fiero5 actually has a custom made non muffler dual exhaust that has a nice low growl tone to it.
My Fiero1 and Jordans have the full stock V6 dual on them, though Jordans exhaust is now heavily moddified.

Sooo Ira, you don't have anyway of getting a V6 dual exhaust???

Steve

[This message has been edited by Fiero5 (edited 08-18-2003).]

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2003 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Steve,

I have learned to expect anything when you start making comments like that one

So you still have Fiero5 (I should have known from the screen name). I went looking for the old Homestead files, but I must have lost them when my computer was serviced a couple of years ago, that was a pretty good looking site if I do say so myself.

Check out https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/032793.html another custom 87/88 facia. I think I like Marian's better though.

BTW anything new to report in the Jordan thread?

Ira

[This message has been edited by Monza76 (edited 08-18-2003).]

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2003 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Now that I can see some real progress again I am starting to feel the old excitement again. I now have only the ball joints to collect and I will have all of the parts necessary to get my car handling as it should. Then I will have the first actual custom car I have ever owned (the Monza was mechanically modified but appeared stock, this car will actually have custom parts that I built or adapted to the car myself). The car is near show-worthy (well at a distance at least). I can understand why so many owners have given up and sold their Fieros, however there is such a sense of accomplishment when it all comes together.

Thanks to everyone who has offered encouragement.

[This message has been edited by Monza76 (edited 08-21-2003).]

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2003 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post

Monza76

1298 posts
Member since Jul 2002
Maybe I should get a "Handling by Lotus " sticker and perpetuate the myth, after all I only know two Fiero owners in Newfoundland who would know the difference, 85SE and Fieroso (I never see any of the others)

Just joking guys

Fiero5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2003 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post
Wow, it is really starting to come together.
Looks awesome! Great job so far Ira.

Took Jordan and his Fiero to a cruise in last night and even my Dad showed up with his Blue 87 GT, but as it was a last minute thing I forgot the silly digital camera. So I didn't get any new pics of Jordan and his green beast to show off

Steve

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2003 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
The hood goes on next nice day, here it is:

and

and the headlight covers:

you like my workbench, an old changing table, isn't that pattern sweet

Ira

Hey Fiero5 (Steve) maybe you could take one of your "lesser" Fieros and do a sports racer theme. So far you may not realize it but you have become the theme car guy. Think about it, you made your Indy look like the actual pace car (on a reasonable budget, with "theme appropriate" tires even), you made Jordan's car into a "Fast and Furious" theme model, right down to 'correct for the car' decals and an F&F badge, Marion's 88 carries the stealth GT look, now how about a sports racer theme. Sort of a late 60s prototype racer look, Ford GT40, Chapparal, Ferrari P3 etc..

If it appeals to you let me know and I can PM or email some ideas

PFF
System Bot
85SE
From: Paradise, Newfoundland, Canada (yes, the town is named Paradise!)

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2003 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEClick Here to visit 85SE's HomePageSend a Private Message to 85SEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monza76:

Maybe I should get a "Handling by Lotus " sticker and perpetuate the myth, after all I only know two Fiero owners in Newfoundland who would know the difference, 85SE and Fieroso (I never see any of the others)

Just joking guys

LOL @ Monza76

How could you possibly have known that I'm that anal?

Cheers,
Andrew

85SE
From: Paradise, Newfoundland, Canada (yes, the town is named Paradise!)

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2003 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEClick Here to visit 85SE's HomePageSend a Private Message to 85SEDirect Link to This Post

85SE

918 posts
Member since Feb 2000

Originally posted by Monza76:

The hood goes on next nice day, here it is:

and

and the headlight covers:

Ira

Ira,

Your hood looks awesome! I can't wait to see it when I'm out your way next month.

Cheers,
Andrew

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2003 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
The red paint is not that great but the overall effect is very close to what I had hoped for. That is what I like about the Fiero, the sense of freedom, you can modify it because it has not been labelled a "classic".

Can't wait to get it all together and get my repairs done.

Ira

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2003 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Just posted my suspension plans here: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/040280.html let me know your thoughts on them as well.

Ira

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2003 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Fiero5 strikes again!! Today I received the centre caps for the wheels, a name plaque and the beginning of a dual exhaust system

Guess I will have to start at the back and make my way forward

Thanks again Steve:

Well, now I have another project to consider!!!

Fiero5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2003 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post
Looks like a few Christmas mornings at Ira's house lately
That name plate I found on a car in a salvage yard back in the spring time, and was finally able to get it to you. Thought it was pretty cool when I saw it on the deck lid of a car. I saw it and yelled out "Hey, I know a guy with that name"! LOL
Hope you can use at least some of your latest goodies

BTW: Ira, do you need a dual pipe set up now for those tips or can you fashion something up on your own? Just wonderin'

Steve

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2003 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post

Fiero5 wrote
BTW: Ira, do you need a dual pipe set up now for those tips or can you fashion something up on your own? Just wonderin'

Like I said before, other than my small cache of 1984 bits, there are no junkyard Fieros in my area. I guess that means no I can't get a V6 system but yes, I could probably put together a system, any suggestions as to what mufflers to use?

If there is anything you need let me know and I can start shipping some items in the other direction

Ira

[This message has been edited by Monza76 (edited 08-26-2003).]

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2003 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
I was playing around with my different intake options Sunday and I have come to one conclusion, the open element air filter feels much stronger than the factory cold air system. The throttle response is much more immediate and, of course, the sound is far more sporting.

Someone had a concern with what might happen if the car backfired, with the open element would it catch the car on fire? I have never heard of a fiero burning for that reason, and there are many owners with open element filters on 2.5s and carbed V8 conversions, any comments or information I should know?

This is what my intake looks like:

Ira

drummer5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2003 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drummer5Send a Private Message to drummer5Direct Link to This Post
Wow, IRA that hoodscoop has come a long way and looks top notch!

I can't wait to see that on your car along with the GT wheels.

------------------

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2003 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Drummer5, I will have the hood mounted next week (if I can get a good day to finish the paint) but the wheels will have to wait until I get the serious work done. I am still on a tight budget so tires may have to wait for the Hankook Hr 195/60X15s from the Elantra (when I put the snow tires on the Elantra I will take these for the Fiero since they only have one summer of wear and are H speed rated, I can always get new tires for the Hyundai come spring). Later, when I can afford it, I will get a matched set of probably 195/60 or 65 front and 215 or 225/60 or 55 rear.

Thanks for your comments, except for the suspension the car is now running, and looking, pretty good.

Ira

PFF
System Bot
Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2003 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Starter just died in the Fiero, had to push start it to get home (actually just put it in reverse, let it roll back and a quick lift of the clutch pedal brought it to life, man this engine is so easy to start).

Every cloud has a silver lining, now I have an excuse to tke it apart and fix some of the other problems (and possibly start some new projects). Anyone have any suggestions for changing the starter on a 2.5 5 speed?

I am planning to take the spare exhaust sustem from out back and use it as a template to design (and build) a system which eliminates the cat, and the loop in front of the engine, in an effort to reduce underhood temperatures. I then want a dual outlet muffler which would fit where the stock muffler is now (any suggestions, other than a stock V6 unit that is?). This project is very tenuous, just a thought right now (thanks to Steve's latest package) but I am looking at how this could be done on a tight budget.

I am still saving up for a big Fiero Store order, but that will be another story.

Ira

[This message has been edited by Monza76 (edited 08-29-2003).]

Fiero5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2003 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post
Don't ya just love those quality GM starters

Hey Ira, we got the video yesterday and my Dad and I sat down and watched some it last night. That Targa Newfoundland is such a cool thing!
I assume you saw it at some point along it's travels? If so, where did you see it? That way we can watch it and know which leg of the race you were at.
We want to see about coming up and being in the next one with the Green Beast. Whens the next one and how do we see about signing up?

Thanks again for the video Ira, that was very nice

Steve

------------------

Now over 400 pics of our 18 Fieros:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/fiero5

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2003 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Gander, the leg in the streets of Gander.

Enjoy
Ira

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2003 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Why is all of my stuff missing? All of my images are gone, I didn't think that This maintenance would wipe me out! Was I using too much storage space maybe? Too bad, I just finished mounting the new hood and had some pictures.

Ira

[This message has been edited by Monza76 (edited 09-18-2003).]

KRuzn MAchines

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2003 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KRuzn MAchinesSend a Private Message to KRuzn MAchinesDirect Link to This Post
you didnt hear? Cliff has gotten rid of pip. all our images connected to it are gone. So find your own linking server now.
Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2003 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Well I guess I will have to post all of the images to my web site and link from here.

Ira

Fiero5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2003 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post
Here is a pic for ya

Ira, check out the latest pics: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/023057-8.html

Steve

------------------

Now over 450!! pics of our fleet of Pontiac excitement: http://www.cardomain.com/id/fiero5

[This message has been edited by Fiero5 (edited 09-18-2003).]

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2003 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Well let me try this:

and this:

any maybe this:

and we can't forget this:

And just a little plug for this years Targa Newfoundland:

There we are, next visible change will be the 15"X7" wheels.

Ira

[This message has been edited by Monza76 (edited 09-20-2003).]

Fiero5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2003 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post
There ya go.
Very nice Ira!

Steve

------------------

Now over 450!! pics of our fleet of Pontiac excitement:

http://www.cardomain.com/id/fiero5

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2003 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Thanks Steve, I have been carefully examining the frames of both cars and have come to the conclusion that it is better for me to rebuild the 1984 since it has very little frame rust. I will continue to drive the 1985 but I will only make changes that will be easily transfered to the 1984. This will be at least a two year project. The result will either be a 1984 5 speed iron duke (likely) or a 4 speed 4.9L (with the economy gearing of my 1984's 4 speed).

So far it is just a plan, but a lot can happen in 2 years.

Ira

BTW I still need to wet sand the hood to get the shine back.

PFF
System Bot
KRuzn MAchines

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2003 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KRuzn MAchinesSend a Private Message to KRuzn MAchinesDirect Link to This Post
Wow, Ira you have gone above and beyond my expectations. Really nice work! Great job!
Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2003 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Thanks Kruz
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock