Solid Piece Clear Taillights? by joeschmotty
Started on: 12-06-2003 01:55 PM
Replies: 17
Last post by: MinnGreenGT on 12-17-2003 11:44 AM
joeschmotty

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2003 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joeschmottySend a Private Message to joeschmottyDirect Link to This Post
I did a search and came up with nothing on what I'm looking for. I want a solid piece rear taillight panel for my gt, basically like the kind that goes with the 'vette lights, but i want it clear. I guess it would have to be made in acrylic or plexiglass (or ...??).

If someone makes one of these, could someone please direct me? If not, any guesses on what it might cost to have one of them custom made and perhaps the best material to use in a one-off product like this? I have plans for some custom taillights, but I can't carry them out without a piece like this! Please help!!

I suppose a two piece in clear would work too, but completely clear.

Edit: Wanted to add above sentence.

------------------
joeschmotty
red '86 gt

[This message has been edited by joeschmotty (edited 12-06-2003).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Slater_334

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2003 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Slater_334Send a Private Message to Slater_334Direct Link to This Post
i think ?DKOV? is making making what you are talking about in carbonfiber, he might have a better idea when it comes to what you want.

you could also call your local plastic place. give some of them a call and see what they say. its worth a shot.

and didnt ricers use to bleach their lights? would that work?

[This message has been edited by Slater_334 (edited 12-06-2003).]

fastbackboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2003 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastbackboySend a Private Message to fastbackboyDirect Link to This Post
i might be wrong on this one but on my fastback the black in the covers is comin off wear i guess i dont know maybe u could buff the inside and it would come off and glue em togeter in someway in the center i dont know much this is just an idea might work doh maybe u could also mold some out of plexy glass hard to say good luck

------------------
fastbackboy
email:gtrfiero@hotmail.com

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2003 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
What you want seems like Fiero-Altezza! You want a clear piece but what's behind will most likely be lights and chrome or carbon I think it is too hard to make special taillights for the Fiero???!
But I wanted something different than the vette's so I have used all these...

now I have these:
joeschmotty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2003 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joeschmottySend a Private Message to joeschmottyDirect Link to This Post
actually, although i like your car very much due to the altezzas and new body styling, i do have a different plan on mind other than altezza taillights. however, you bringing those up gave me an idea for my plan that i had not yet thought of! thank you very much!

i think my problem might have been solved now, however, if anyone can still provide other info for the questions above, itd be nice.

by the way Fie Ro - what altezzas did you use in your swap? i know you molded your back end completely knew, but would it be possible to mold the shape of those into a stock fastback rear without any cutting? pm answers if you can and maybe we can discuss my idea furthur in combination with your mod.

------------------
joeschmotty
red '86 gt

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2003 06:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero taillights are quite flat when compared to the altezza's (they are 96-97 Prelude) so at least you will have to cut some ribs of the rear clip. This will not be visible though. Then it could be possible to make an insert panel (like the 355 style) and mount the Altezza's in there. However they would have to move more inwards.I don't think it would look good.

You can take apart the GT lens, remove the inner lenses and put some vette lights (or others) IN there! that would be cool!
On the outside it would still have the stock housing. 2 variations:

------------------

updates on the GTR at PFF: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/038785.html http://members.lycos.nl/fierofiero/html/fiero.html
1987 Pontiac Fiero GTR in progress
1969 Chevy Suburban

fierce_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2003 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierce_gtSend a Private Message to fierce_gtDirect Link to This Post
what if you make a clay(or whatever) mould of the inside of some stock lenses. then took that mould and got some clear acrylic and heated up the acrylic so you could easily bend it, and basically wrap it around the mould you made. i've seen this done with thinner plastic and vacuums a fair bit. maybe if you have to use 2-3 layers of a thin acrylic.

------------------

My 85 Fiero GT

arte444

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2003 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Direct Link to This Post
Even though this is a corsica, the idea could still apply to a fiero. (Maybe not GT)
Anyways, what I did was trace two circles where the two light bulbs would reflect onto the ribbed tail light (GRR) and painted around it with old house paint making it opaque in parts. Also, I noticed there was a spot for a 3rd bulb that I could have modded but I got lazy =P. Anyways, I think it turned out very good for the amount of money and effort I put into making it =P. ( $0.00 and an hour ).
Enjoy.

------------------
-Kyle
Email: arte@sek-c.com
Aim: Littlechugger
1987 Notchback 4cyl. (Busted Tranny)
1992 Corsica 3.1L

MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2003 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fie Ro:

You can take apart the GT lens, remove the inner lenses and put some vette lights (or others) IN there! that would be cool!
On the outside it would still have the stock housing. 2 variations:

Hehe... I've seen something like that before! Maybe as an ongoing project... in my garage

I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've posted this photo publically! I started working on this setup this past summer, but only got as far as to having the one side mocked up... maybe after the busy holiday season I can get back into the groove and try and get both sides done for next spring. note: I'm planning on using some form of LEDs (like the 18 wheelers sometimes have) instead of a standard-type bulb, and the 2nd light shown is photoshopped.

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 12-08-2003).]

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 05-21-2004).]

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2003 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
I must be having Visions lately

*Here's The Secret Projects Revealer! *

knock knock

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2003 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fie Ro:

I must be having Visions lately

*Here's The Secret Projects Revealer! *

knock knock

LOL - stay out of my Brain! (j/k)

I've actually been itchin' to show that photo for awhile now. A few local Fiero guys have seen the fixtures... can't wait to get 'em finished and on a car!

PFF
System Bot
GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2003 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:

I'm planning on using some form of LEDs (like the 18 wheelers sometimes have)

http://www.strobes-r-us.com/strobes-r-us_017.htm

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:

can't wait to get 'em finished and on a car!

well if you want you can put them on my car...or did you mean on your car?

that photo looks really good, id love to have them

------------------

+ a silver 85 2M4 and a gold 87 2M4
--Adam--
IM AOL: FieroGT5speed

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2003 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
I've seen the "strobes-r-us" site before... not bad, but I can get packs of 4 lights for around $70 from: http://www.buytruckstuff.com/s_product_gp.asp?selcategory=23

Originally posted by GTFiero1:

well if you want you can put them on my car...or did you mean on your car?

that photo looks really good, id love to have them

I'm not planning on selling "complete" units, but I may try and reproduce the insert panel so others can try something simliar if they like (it'll probably be a "blank" panel so the buyer can use whatever style fixtures they like & cut the holes themselves). I also might try something similar with a notchback taillight (as I have one or two sitting around) but that won't be at all until these are done.

Basically I used an original (damaged, not a good one ) lens as my form and to get a matching shape:

Then I removed the original "reflector" part of the assemblies using a roto-zip with a saber/side cutting tool:

I then trimmed the the part to fit the opening and did numerous test fittings & shapings to get it to fit:

Since then, I've added a flange to the inside edge to cover the raw cut left from removing the reflectors (this can faintly be noticed in the 1st photo I posted). I'm not yet sure about how or how many mounting points will have to be replaced on the fixture to assure that it's mounted securely... there is still quite a bit of work to go into these before they'll be done!

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 05-21-2004).]

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2003 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
This is something I definately would have done if I didn't already did what I did!

nice work!

joeschmotty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2003 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joeschmottySend a Private Message to joeschmottyDirect Link to This Post
well, i must say they look good and will probably look even better when finished. i, however, am looking for a piece that doesnt even have the black around the "pontiac". i was hoping to be able to use leds in the project though. im glad you posted the sights because i wasnt real sure where to start looking for them. any idea where i can get some that, i guess, are more car related as opposed to truck? by that i mean, groups of lights. i looked through the site and they seem to only have bigger groupings of lights. any help here? thanks.

------------------
joeschmotty
red '86 gt

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2003 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Joe It's nice to get positive feedback on some projects... it's stuff like that which helps me keep working on 'em!

As for getting a complete clear lens - I wish I could find one... hopefully someday, someone will make one (even if it's completely smooth with no black... that's 100% fine by me). I'm about 99% sure I don't have the skills or resources to come up with something like that (I'm sure tooling alone would probably run in excess of $5k).

As for more LEDs... most of my searches have been specifically for the truck/trailer style lights on that site. But the are quite a variety of "bulb" style LEDs available from http://www.lightlens.com (it's where I ordered by Green 194's for my taillights). Beyond that, depending on how complex you're thinking of getting, you may have to look at getting a board and making the pattern yourself!

Check out the stuff that 87GTBro did recently: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/029293.html

Dough19

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2003 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dough19Send a Private Message to Dough19Direct Link to This Post
MinnGreenGT: I really like the way that you made that new rear panel. That would make it so much easier to mount aftermarket tail lights in there. I might be interested in two of those panels if you were willing to make them. Did you make them out of fiberglass? Or something else? Please keep us posted on the progress.
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2003 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dough19:

MinnGreenGT: I really like the way that you made that new rear panel. That would make it so much easier to mount aftermarket tail lights in there. I might be interested in two of those panels if you were willing to make them. Did you make them out of fiberglass? Or something else? Please keep us posted on the progress.

Thanks - I'll definitely make an effort to at least reproduce the panels themselves... then probably just sell 'em as blanks so that any light can be used. They are made from fiberglass (currently 3 layers + filler for smoothing). If I get around to production ones, I'll try to have them be a smoother gel-coated part! You'd have to cut out the original reflectors, then glue the fiberglass panel in using a good quality expoxy/adhesive (I'll have a few recommendations after trying it myself).

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock