Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
   Pennocks people, help me choose rims (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Pennocks people, help me choose rims by jelly2m8
Started on: 06-20-2004 08:50 PM
Replies: 90
Last post by: 86_FiErO_GT on 08-29-2004 07:56 PM
Key Of David

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2004 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Key Of DavidSend a Private Message to Key Of DavidDirect Link to This Post
They all look good....go with the lightest ones.

------------------
I have the precious gift of patience.....it just takes too long to use it!

IP: Logged
SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2004 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post
These ain't too bad.

[This message has been edited by SCCA FIERO (edited 06-22-2004).]

blazin'

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2004 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blazin'Send a Private Message to blazin'Direct Link to This Post
I like the Apex's the best of all those, but I also like wheels on the Fiero to have some dish too. Give those Apex's a little dish and then you're talkin.
jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2004 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post
Well I have some wheels and tires on the way, I'm paying this young kid in Utah 200 bux for some real spiffy wheels from a red 88 T-Top....He says I have to wait untill morning as he can only get them very late at night

Just jokin SCCA, your wheels look awesome!

Really I did order wheels today, I went with the Apex's. Oddly enough I got the best price locally in town. I ordered 35mm offsets for the rear and 45mm offsets for the front. 215/45R17 front and 235/45R17 tires in the rear.

I inquired about the ADR Kasai's, but in the 5X100mm bolt pattern they are only available in 38mm offset.

I really appreciate everybody's input on this, and hey if I don't like these wheels, theres enough votes for these that someone here might buy them.. LOL

SCCA FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2004 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jelly2m8:

Well I have some wheels and tires on the way, I'm paying this young kid in Utah 200 bux for some real spiffy wheels from a red 88 T-Top....He says I have to wait untill morning as he can only get them very late at night

Just jokin SCCA, your wheels look awesome!

LOL... that's funny in a scary way. 88s are hard to buy rims for, huh? Took me about 3 months to make a choice. They got in yesterday, just in time to leave for Kansas.

black862.8se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2004 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for black862.8seSend a Private Message to black862.8seDirect Link to This Post
I LOVE THE APEX WHEELS
SWEET LOOKIN AND EASY TO CLEAN(GOOD COMBINATION)
jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2004 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by SCCA FIERO:

88s are hard to buy rims for, huh? Took me about 3 months to make a choice. They got in yesterday, just in time to leave for Kansas.

Dude, you are so right, I think that was the first time i've cursed the 88's about something, finding decent wheels that will fit right!
have fun at Wheatstock!

jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2004 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post

jelly2m8

6128 posts
Member since Jul 2001
Just doin a bump to see if anyone's rating bar appeared, everyone who repiled got a big green + if I didn't have you rated previously!
FieroHarry

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2004 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroHarrySend a Private Message to FieroHarryDirect Link to This Post
#3 then #1

I like the simplicity of number three yet it has flair in the spokes for contrast!

ToonTownfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2004 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToonTownfieroClick Here to visit ToonTownfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to ToonTownfieroDirect Link to This Post
Man I could get used looking at those chromies

------------------

1985 2m4
Saskatoon, Sask Canada
Visit the Saskatoon Fiero Club Website at
http://www.freewebs.com/saskatoonfieros/

daniel87fierogt

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2004 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtDirect Link to This Post
Hey everybody check out the this site http://www.cheapwheels.com and got to the gallery and look at that sweet burgandy fiero gt with those wheels. LOL and scroll down some more and check out that UPS truck with those chromes!!!!!!!!

------------------

PFF
System Bot
fieromadman

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2004 02:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
I like the very first ones you posted a pic of...
85SE
From: Paradise, Newfoundland, Canada (yes, the town is named Paradise!)

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2004 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEClick Here to visit 85SE's HomePageSend a Private Message to 85SEDirect Link to This Post

These ain't too bad.

Now those are deadly wheels.

Anthony - I would have picked either the Apex or Blades if available...love those rims.

Now the question is, what are your plans for those old crappy hard to clean 88 gold rims?

Andrew

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2004 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

THe adr kasai blows the rest away,....just wish it had a lip to go with it !

jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2004 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

THe adr kasai blows the rest away,....just wish it had a lip to go with it !

Ya I think so too, too bad they don't come in the offsets I need.

jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2004 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post

jelly2m8

6128 posts
Member since Jul 2001

Originally posted by 85SE:

Now those are deadly wheels.

Anthony - I would have picked either the Apex or Blades if available...love those rims.

Now the question is, what are your plans for those old crappy hard to clean 88 gold rims?

Andrew

I ordered the Apex's.

As far as the wheels I have now, all 4 are the 15X7 inch rim. I have a shake at the right front which I believe is a bent rim, I have to have it checked, if it's the tire and not the rim, I'll most likely sell the rims. If one or more of the rims are bent, I may just keep the good ones as spare rear wheels for the other 88.

FieroGTSR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2004 04:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTSRSend a Private Message to FieroGTSRDirect Link to This Post
My personal fav.

I currently have these on my fiero.

------------------
1987 GT
Many Mods Comming Soon
(need more money)

FieroGTR@Excite.com

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2004 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
86 Fiero GT, Looking to ad a 93 Northstar soon
thespeedshop@sbcglobal.net

TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2004 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
blades are impossible to find... they were taken out of production over a year ago, maybe even two.

------------------
'86 Fiero GT

www.KylesFiero.tk www.XoticRydz.tk

THE BEAST

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2004 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE BEASTSend a Private Message to THE BEASTDirect Link to This Post

These ain't too bad.

WOW WOW
Hi, there I was just curious to find out where did you buy those wheels from?

Let me tell you that is a nice car!

I own an 88 GT fiero, and I'm shopping for wheels and I really liked the ones you have in your car so I was wondering what are they call and where could I find them at?

Thanks a lot!

Fierochic88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2004 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Direct Link to This Post
Me like! :-)

Jen

PFF
System Bot
Rugby13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2004 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rugby13Send a Private Message to Rugby13Direct Link to This Post
I like the maxxim 187 i have them on my car and love em.

pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2004 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroDirect Link to This Post
MIM Gonzaga

these look nice.They get my vote

i have them on one of my GTs.Anybody know where i can buy them at a good price.I'd like to get them for my other Gt and i'd like to have a spare

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2004 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
I cant resist I vote for ASA AR1's

SCCA FIERO mcaanda has rims exactly like yours. They do look good.

------------------

Rickady88GT QuadCam 3.5 V6

cenneth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2004 05:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cennethClick Here to visit cenneth's HomePageSend a Private Message to cennethDirect Link to This Post
cant resist either, must vote for MIM Gonzaga

------------------

http://www.fieroforum.tk

aqua-man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2004 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aqua-manSend a Private Message to aqua-manDirect Link to This Post
Can't make up my mind. I am also looking for new rims but in chrome.

Earl

------------------
1986 FieroGT 2.8

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2004 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

I am dying for these rims

ADR x-factor, but so far i have not found them in the correct bolt patter.

Does it absolutely have to be 5 x 100 to fit ?!

Sweet,...5 star pattern, machined rivets, and a nice lip. A bit pricey at $345 but a lot cheaper than HREs lol !!

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2004 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

I am dying for these rims

ADR x-factor, but so far i have not found them in the correct bolt patter.

Does it absolutely have to be 5 x 100 to fit ?!

Sweet,...5 star pattern, machined rivets, and a nice lip. A bit pricey at $345 but a lot cheaper than HREs lol !!

Yeah they have to be 5x100's. You can always go with a different combo brake set-up w/different bolt pattern?

jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2004 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post
Well after 2 months of delays and headaches about these damn wheels, they showed up today, albiet from a different supplier than I originally ordered from.

-RANT ON-

Initially I had ordered them from a local speed shop. I was told 3 weeks as the 45mm offset front wheels were special order. The day I ordered them, I had the shop confirm 3 times with his suppier exactly what wheels, sizes and tires I wanted. Somehow I knew just then this was gonna be a hassle. Just to show them how serious I was, I made a down payment of better than 3/4 of the total price then and there.

3 weeks passed by, nothing. After the 4th week I went in and basicially demanded to know what the hold up was. I told the guy to make a call and get back to me about the status of the wheels. By the time I returned home from the speed shop there was a message on my shop answering machine that the wheels and tires had shipped that afternoon. Convinent huh? and that they would be at the speed shop in 3 days. The 3 days went by and I got a call that the wheels and tires arrived ( me YIPPIEE ), but there was a problem, they sent the wrong sized tires. Figures. ( I shoulda known all they want to sell is stuff to fit a Honda....) Not only that, they were the Wanli brand which I've yet to hear a single good remark about.

So I head to the speed shop to talk with the guy, he says they would have the correct tires in 7 days. Again I'm getting extremely pissed off. So I spend 3 hours running around town to the tire shops to find the tire sizes I wanted. Couldn't get 4 of the same model tire in the sizes I wanted. I head back to the speed shop and for some reason I decided to look at the 4 wheels, sure enough, they had 4 of the 35mm offset wheels there, not the 2 different offsets that was confirmed 3 times.

I was soo pissed off I walked out without saying another word, because if I would have said something to him I would have later regretted it.

On the way home I thought, I have 4 weeks tied up in this, what the hell is another week. So I called the speed shop apon arriving back at my shop and asked what the scenerio was to correct the situation. He said they had the correct front wheels reordered, but it would take a week to get them in. I said get them shipped air, the answer was that they could not because the company he deals with doesn't ship via air, and if they did, the guy who took the originial order would be in trouble. Not my problem, he should have did the order right the first time, after all I had the speed shop call and triple confirm the order.

So on to the 5th week, I call them as I hear nothing, no wheels in. My only words to him were forget about it, I'll be in for a refund on the down payment.

-RAVE ON-

Not 10 minutes later I went online found the number for Tiretrends in BC http://www.tiretrends.com and talked with a guy named Arch about the wheels I wanted and told him about the mess I just went through with the local guy. Arch didn't want to take my order right that instant because he wanted to contact TSW on the wheels as they didnt have them in stock.
Not half an hour later Arch called me back, and confirmed they would have to get the wheels direct from TSW, and explained that it would take 2 to 3 weeks to get the wheels, they would order them right away but had to wait for TSW to process their order and then ship them. Ok this guy was being honest and making a good effort.

So we talked about different tires and I decided on Yokohama AVS ES100's ( far better than Wanli's....) and discussed what tires were to go on which rims. Arch told me that it would be minimum 3 weeks, and that to be on the safe side to expect 4 weeks to get them here. He gave me a price and I gave him the CC info. Ok that was a done deal, time to cross my fingers.

Through the time I made this transaction, Tiretrends did contact me several times via email on the status of my order such as they recieved the wheels ( within the 2 weeks ) and that they were ready to be shipped. I did recieve a phone call from them when they installed the tires and was told that the wheel centers were different between the front and back wheels, and that they had already contacted TSW to get 4 matching centers. Cool, these guys are taking initative.

2 days later they had the correct centers in and had already shipped the wheels.

So after 3 weeks exactly the wheels and tires arrived today at noon complete with an install kit and centering rings.

I was extremely pleased and satisfied with this transaction with Tiretrends, they listened to my story about getting screwed around by the other place and took the time to verify everything, kept me up to date during the time I ordered and recieved the wheels. I couldn't have asked for a smoother transaction. If your looking for wheels and or tires, give these guys a call.

In the end I got exactly what I wanted in an acceptable timeframe, and most likely ended up paying less in the long run. I payed more for the tires from them ( but they are much better than what I would have gotten ), but I didn't have to pay for mounting and balancing.

I do have to defend the original guy, the problem was not with him, but between him and his supplier. The speed shop guy did order exactly what I wanted ( I was there when he made the calls ), and made an honest effort to make the sale. But the middle party screwed him around

So after I posted this dribble for you all to read, I do have pics.

[This message has been edited by jelly2m8 (edited 08-17-2004).]

jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2004 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post

jelly2m8

6128 posts
Member since Jul 2001
Some people wanted to see how the 45mm offset 7 inch wide wheel worked on the front ( I spent 2 months hoping I didn't spend money on the wrong offsets). They fit very nicely, maybe they could use another few mm offsets, but I am very happy with the fit.

Rear wheels

ya I need to wash the car in a bad way, I was so discusted about the whole wheel fiasco, I didn't wash the car in over a month!

[This message has been edited by jelly2m8 (edited 08-17-2004).]

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2004 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post
You got the right ones man!... not to fancy and busy looking.... just nice and sporty....looks great!

[This message has been edited by MaxCubes (edited 08-17-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
Golden86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2004 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by PBJ:

Hey I like these, we just bought a set.

What color is that car in the pic, and is that your car?

------------------

linenoise

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2004 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post
I like the ADR Kasai but the 38MM offset might be to small, I have ADR Spades in Silver (See Signature) which I love, after I bought mine they cam e out in Hyper Chrome which is awsome looks alot like Curley's HRE's

------------------

1988 GT Black W/Beechwood Interior & 17" ADR Battle Exe's
Want a 4.9 Installed into your Fiero? PBJ can do it!
My ¼ mile time.
The Cadero Registry.

linenoise

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2004 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post

linenoise

3789 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by Golden86:

What color is that car in the pic, and is that your car?

It's Copper (very very nice) and it's Pete's (PBJ) wifes car. Her86GT (Becky) And it's deadly fast she ran 12.32@111 this saturday.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2004 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I should have noticed that there was a second page, before I posted. Ahh well... been a long day.

Your wheels & tires look great! Look perfect on your car.

I'll pass along another wheel I found the other day, in case anyone is interested.
Check out the TSW Sting.

It's available in 17x7 - 50mm offset, and 17x8 - 35mm offset. It's a very basic looking wheel, but those widths might be worth investigating. Especially for an 88.

Here's a pic.

------------------
Raydar
88 3.4 coupe...........

Coming soon...
88 Formula, presently under the knife.

Read Nealz Nuze!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 08-17-2004).]

SCCA FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2004 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post
Looking good!

------------------

2002 Utah Region SCCA 1st Place C Street Prepared
Utahfieros.com

blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2004 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
Jelly, Your 88 looks great!

Did I read that you would prefer to have a little higher offset in the front? (greater than 45mm?)
Any problems with turning rub?

Do you happen to have rear coilovers?

Definately bookmarking this for my Formula! Big (pos) to ya.

sqoach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2004 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jelly2m8:

*snip*

...I do have pics.

That's the important part
Just kidding. I'm glad I haven't had to go through a mess like that. At least you picked out a nice set of wheels. And I must say, you made an excellent choice. 100 times better than the stock wheels.

Beautiful...

jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2004 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post
blake, the front wheels visually look to sit outboard the fender just a little more than stock, it's not much though just a few millimeters if that. I think ~48 mm ofsets would be just perfect. I'm not complaining though, the 45's fit alot better than alot of others I have looked at.

The tires turn to full lock without any rubbing. My car is lowered with Fiero store lowering springs front and back and there's tons of clearance between the rear tire and the strut.

I went from the 7" GT wheels on the front to these, and the steering effort has been reduced and the car turns in a sharper radius now. The 7" wide 35mm offset factory wheels on the front really messed things up driveablity wise, and was the main reason I bought new wheels. ( well that and I took a hating to the stockers )

I didn't make a good choice on the wheels, it was all you on PFF, it was all the recommendations in this tread for them that made me get these.

Many thanks peeps!

[This message has been edited by jelly2m8 (edited 09-03-2004).]

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2004 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
those look great. I was looking for this thread a few weeks ago to see if you ever got them. Glad you like what you picked.

Few questions.

It looks like you went with 17's front and rear. Did you get 7" wide for the rear too? or did you get 8" in the rear?

I really want to run a 7" front and 8" rear. The Apex has a 17" in 45mm offset and also an 18x8" with a 35mm offset. The 18" is only $100 each right now. So thats just under $550 for a 17/18 combo in a good offset that sits a little wider than stock. Thats for the apex.

Now the sting looks good too. and its available in 17x7" with the 50mm offset. and 18"x8" with a 35mm offset, but its so much more expensive. Its over $200 more for the wheels alone.

Whats the finish like on the apex? It's called a hyper silver on the website. How close is it to a polished look? Or is it more of a painted silver look? I need to start selling some junk so I can get some NICE wheels.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock