Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Notchie Tail Lamp Design Competiton (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
Notchie Tail Lamp Design Competiton by AusFiero
Started on: 09-05-2004 08:52 AM
Replies: 142
Last post by: 86fieroEarl on 10-16-2004 07:49 AM
Black-Azz-GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2004 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post
This is very nice. I think it would have to have a Carbon Fiber Panel though. Painted I dont thin k it would look half as good. Nice work.

------------------
-Chris -
Custom Gun Metal 86 GT 4.9 V8 5spd

Build up tread or MODS w/ Pics

IP: Logged
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2004 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
just the person/post I have been waiting for

anyways, here are a quick couple of mine:

Tim

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 09-08-2004).]

Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2004 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

We have a winner.

naskie18

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 194
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2004 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Black-Azz-GT:

We have a winner.

What he said

------------------
Nick www.naskie18.com AIM: Naskie182010

Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2004 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Black-Azz-GT:

We have a winner.

Ok these tailights are freakin sweat and are my favorite now by far. Someone make these. What lights are those in there?

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2004 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:
Idea #3 ---> Integra c/f euro lights. Same ones that Fie Ro used on his fastback, but in c/f. The lenses sit in the c/f panel and the clear case goes over top.

Small correction: I used Prelude lights.... and I guess they're too big for a notchy, like many other lights too. It is hard to find anything with the right shape that also fits. I tried some angled red Apc truck lights in this PS:

Ow btw, if you think the style is dated........:

------------------

1987 Fiero concept GTR in progress...
1969 Chevy Suburban

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2004 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
IwannaIRM

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2004 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IwannaIRMSend a Private Message to IwannaIRMDirect Link to This Post

Yes, these get my vote...modernized but still looks Fieroish (if that's even a word)!

I'll take 3 sets...when can they be ready? LOL

[This message has been edited by IwannaIRM (edited 09-08-2004).]

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2004 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
a cross between notchy and fastback lights.. not bad.. but difficult to make..

fierodog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2004 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodogSend a Private Message to fierodogDirect Link to This Post
whoa sweet I might have to get a notchie to do that!! I don't think those would be hard to make at all you already have most of it just need new inserts inside.

oh can someone change the pontiac to fiero or fiero gt ? That would be bad azz

[This message has been edited by fierodog (edited 09-08-2004).]

Tabs31

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2004 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tabs31Send a Private Message to Tabs31Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by IwannaIRM:

I'm loving this look. I'll take a set for sure. please make this one aus.

------------------

The 4.9 To Be!

PFF
System Bot
Tabs31

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2004 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tabs31Send a Private Message to Tabs31Direct Link to This Post

Tabs31

2049 posts
Member since Nov 2001

Originally posted by IwannaIRM:

Yes, these get my vote...modernized but still looks Fieroish (if that's even a word)!

I'll take 3 sets...when can they be ready? LOL

I'm loving this look. I'll take a set for sure. please make this one aus.

AusFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 327
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2004 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post

As nice as it may be it is not in any way possible to build on a Fiero buyers budget. For the money invested in something like that one would be better off reproducing fastback tail lights. More of a market that will pay the cost. This contest is about existing lights that can be adapted into a new panel. Not make new backing sections, new inner lenses and new outer lense. There is not one person here who would be willing to pay the price I dont think. So keep em coming

LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2004 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post

those are pretty killer IMO

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2004 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
Is it a law that the tail lights must have some sort of seperation between the left and right side?

Can you have a tail light all the way across sort of like the 3rd brake light is?

tednelson83

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2004 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Automoda:

I'm too lazy to re-do this to fit the image that the rules require. Perhaps you've seen it in a previous thread:

Slats and round lights both.

i vote for this one

------------------

1985 Pontiac Fiero 2.5 SE, 219,500 currently going under the knife to become a chopped hard top custom convertible, watch for the build up thread
more pics of my 85 can be found here
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT, 140,000 miles! Cat less, decklid window, silver guages.
1987 Pontiac Fiero 2.8 SE, 54,000 miles :( parts car RIP

Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2004 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fie Ro:

Small correction: I used Prelude lights.... and I guess they're too big for a notchy, like many other lights too. It is hard to find anything with the right shape that also fits.

Oops, sorry, I thought they were integra lights.. oh well... when you measured them, is its the case thats too big for the notchie panel, or the lenses, cause thats all that needs to be used. If I'm not mistaken, I think it was Kento or somebody that fit integra tail lights into a notchback panel space?

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 09-08-2004).]

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2004 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

just the person/post I have been waiting for

anyways, here are a quick couple of mine:

Tim

just to add - the top picture is 90 proto type inspired - the second picture, the lenses are from a 91-92 TransAm GTA. The T/A will not fit as it is too tall (unless you wish to modify the decklid), but if new inserts were made for the Fiero lens, the pattern can be achieved. The outer lens on the T/A is just smoked plastic light the Fiero ones. And someone at one point made a kit for the 'Pontiac' lettering

Tim

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 09-14-2004).]

Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2004 04:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AusFiero:

As nice as it may be it is not in any way possible to build on a Fiero buyers budget. For the money invested in something like that one would be better off reproducing fastback tail lights. More of a market that will pay the cost. This contest is about existing lights that can be adapted into a new panel. Not make new backing sections, new inner lenses and new outer lense. There is not one person here who would be willing to pay the price I dont think. So keep em coming

I would pay money for these if they were produced. I think they look killer. I would probably pay up to $400 or so for something like this. Just looks sick. Let me know as you can make me a set can't you

FieroBUZZ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2004 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBUZZSend a Private Message to FieroBUZZDirect Link to This Post

Actually, this is not too bad for a one-off, although probably too expensive for 'mass' production as Aus points out.

You can keep the Fiero backing. What you need to do is disassemble the light, and remove the red and clear lenses. Use plastic to make the top and bottom 'spacer' part of the lens to the size you need. Then cut out your donor lens to the correct size to fit the front (replacing the stepped Fiero lens portion) and glue it to the spacer to make a new coloured lens. Refit this to the backing and replace the clear cover.

Depending on your choice of colours, you may need to build up the backing at the edge of the light sections to prevent light leaking thru from one colour light socket to the other. You may also need to modify the wiring a bit to make the lights work as desired. This is especially true if you delete the back up portion in favour of an extra brake or turn light.

Camaros have red and amber and the Firebird ones have the lined look as the pic shown above.

The only snag is that you have a right and left light as stock. You could use the light sockets as they are stock and make a panel to cover the center section if that's your plan. It will then appear as a single unit from side to side.

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2004 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Just to add, most of my designs, I took into account keeping the inner panel to drive costs down and just for simplicity. The supra ones I made wouldn't be too difficult I think. If the supra lenses don't fit, any smaller circular lenses will do.
PFF
System Bot
FieroBUZZ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2004 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBUZZSend a Private Message to FieroBUZZDirect Link to This Post
Another thing is that if you keep the stock number of lights, you can modify the center section to personalize the look. Stock Fiero lights are blank here so you can add what you want.

Under the stock clear lens cover, use a plain coloured panel (body colour, accent, or c/f) Add to these panels what you want (each side)

1. It can be any size P O N T I A C done in paint or letters from the junkyard.

2. Something personal I considered a script FieroBUZZ on one side and 3800 supercharged on the other for example.

3. Make a covering panel that sits close to or follows the clear cover, cut out P O N T I A C and have lights behind to light it up. Could also be clear and painted to block light where not wanted.

Sorry to hijack the theme of the thread Aus.

BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2004 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
i dunno i think i will stick with stock, looking at the back of the car at night is such a beautiful sight, seriously its one of the reasons i bought the car, it looks so good all the way around. thats why when i custimize it i will try as hard as i can to still maintain that "origional" Fiero look.
you know Steve im becoming more and more like you (i dont know WHEN my car will be done :P )
-Jerry
Kento

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2004 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post
MAKE the Plain PANEL!!! Then we can all have lights we LIKE!!!!!!! SIMPLE!! MAKE A CLEAR and a SOLID PANEL!

------------------
4.9 Caddy in Garage! Car in Driveway! ACK!

http://home.cfl.rr.com/fierose
Central Florida Fieros
http://www.centralfloridafieros.org

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2004 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
I got some more ideas here. They may or may not be feasible in the sense that the existing lenses fit. If people were willing to have some made to fit, I guess it would cost more. Anyways, here are some more options:

These first ones are jspec mr2 lenses:

These are 1998 240sx lenses (silvia?):

These are 1992 240sx (s13?) lenses, but only the top half. I cut the bottom off that was just an amber bar.

Lastly, these are 180sx jspec tail lights:

Let me know what you think.... personally I like the mr2 ones with the red panel

sqoach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2004 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post

Here is someting to get the creative juices flowing. 1972 Australian Ford Falcon lenses used in a custom carbonfibre panel and the reflectors changed to reversing lights. These lenses are reflective so the lower ones aren't needed and reversing lights are.

Aus, I like this one, but would rather have all the lights red, instead of the amber light in the middle. That way there is no re-wiring, except for the back up lights, which I already have.
I'd also just want it to be paintable, as I'd rather have it body color than carbon fiber. Maybe you can have a couple options.
I like the overall design, though. It fits well with the Fiero. Are those lights only available in Austrailia? And I'm sure you designed them to be proportional, but what size are they? From your picture, I'm guessing by your picture that the lights are about 3x4 inches.

BTW, do you think you could photoshop that real quick? And maybe make the car blue?

[This message has been edited by sqoach (edited 09-10-2004).]

AusFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 327
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2004 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
Those lights are actually a one piece panel and I have included the orange for a couple of reasons. The obvious of the light being joined and the fact that if I make the lights all red it confines the product to the USA only market. The Euro guys need amber lenses as we do here. If I am to make that one (it is my favoured choice time and cost wise) I could probably get the lenses reproduced as 3 units anyway giving the option of different colours. I might photoshop it with a 4th lense too for reversing lights. Any design could be done in either carbonfibre or fibreglass. The latter having the biggest market anyway.

A few of the submitted designs I like but they are on the most part not practical to make.

birdpoo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2004 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for birdpooSend a Private Message to birdpooDirect Link to This Post
/callvote map q3dm17

-it symbolizes, represents & follows the tradition of (gm) pontiac.
-simple, yet very aesthetic.
-it passes the old saying acronym K.I.S.S.

Silicoan86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2004 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silicoan86Send a Private Message to Silicoan86Direct Link to This Post

Since that one set is too expensive to make, I vote for these.

Simply Beautiful.
fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2004 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post

If they weren't so curved on the outside, these would get my vote!!!

------------------
Petty Officer Michael C Casaceli
Patrol Squadron Ten, United States Navy
1988 Pontiac Fiero 2.5L, soon to be 2.2L ECOTEC TURBO (THE PROJECT HAS STARTED!!!)
1988 Oldsmobile Firenza 2.0L non-turbo (R.I.P.my beloved J-body. K.I.A. by a Ford)
1994 Chevy S-10 4.3, it's finally here, and it is gorgeous!

Vonov

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2004 03:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

I got some more ideas here. They may or may not be feasible in the sense that the existing lenses fit. If people were willing to have some made to fit, I guess it would cost more. Anyways, here are some more options:

These first ones are jspec mr2 lenses:

These are 1998 240sx lenses (silvia?):

These are 1992 240sx (s13?) lenses, but only the top half. I cut the bottom off that was just an amber bar.

Let me know what you think.... personally I like the mr2 ones with the red panel

These two look pretty smooth...

------------------
88 Formula, "Asphalt Aviator"

"I've seen em---they're little fellers. You know, the Artesians..."
---caretaker at Olympia Brewery

PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2004 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroturbo:

If they weren't so curved on the outside, these would get my vote!!!

I guess they do look a little curved with those shadows... easy fix

FastFieros

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 265
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2004 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by birdpoo:

/callvote map q3dm17

-it symbolizes, represents & follows the tradition of (gm) pontiac.
-simple, yet very aesthetic.
-it passes the old saying acronym K.I.S.S.

Someone put PONTIAC in the middle of these taillights.... Also, where are the reverse lights? Other than that, they look great.

Loyde

TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2004 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
the MR2 lights that you posted are Series2 SW20 (94-95) usdm lights... im betting that they would work GREAT!!! you could also use the stock series 1 SW20(91-93) tail lamps

------------------
'86 Fiero GT

www.KylesFiero.tk www.XoticRydz.tk

Azriel

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-12-2004 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AzrielSend a Private Message to AzrielDirect Link to This Post
I like the light up pontiac. This is with a smoked lense over a lot of stuff i stole from examples and the other entries, but tweaked enough to make my own.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Azriel (edited 09-14-2004).]

86 gt fastback

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2004 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 gt fastbackSend a Private Message to 86 gt fastbackDirect Link to This Post
have just been out to meassure the highth of the tails. the round 4" truck led ligths are just a little to big. have been thinking about those. i would think something using the lights of a 146 or 156 alfa romeo would be nice. should be cheap.

not good at photoshop but have been looking at those for some time now.

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2004 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
This thread needs a bump... might as well do it with some pics:

Slightly modified camaro lights to fit the notchback shape a little better:

Kameo Kid's ferrari lenses again, but this time in a molded body color panel:

Hummer H2 lenses turned horizontally. A second red lens was added to take into account the inner fiero panel:

Just tryin to throw out some more ideas.

Keesee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2004 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KeeseeSend a Private Message to KeeseeDirect Link to This Post

Howsa bout wall to wall?

Keesee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2004 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KeeseeSend a Private Message to KeeseeDirect Link to This Post

Keesee

419 posts
Member since Oct 2003

A single light bar would work too!

TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2004 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
a single bar is TOO simple... kinda looks under developed.

------------------
'86 Fiero GT

www.KylesFiero.tk www.XoticRydz.tk

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay