Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Notchie Tail Lamp Design Competiton (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
Notchie Tail Lamp Design Competiton by AusFiero
Started on: 09-05-2004 08:52 AM
Replies: 142
Last post by: 86fieroEarl on 10-16-2004 07:49 AM
AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 327
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2004 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
Well Iron_Mark gave me this idea in chat today so I thought I would go with it. It seems Notchie tail lamps are few and far between so it would be a product worth introducing something new to the market. So I decided to give his idea a go.

There is some paremeters to adhere though to make this feasible.
A: You must use this pic below. There is a Photoshop file download that has a one piece red, a black and a carbonfibre tail light panel and even some clear rear markers have been thrown in that could be new reversing lights. Use this download as your base. Only use the pic below if you don't have Photoshop.
B: It must remain a one piece panel (as I have done to the orginal) and be feasible to be built.
C: The lights used must be readily available or reproducable. I can get any lenses made cheaply as long as I have an original to work with. So don't be scared of using rare or expensive lights.
D: It must remail a bolt in replacement for the original tail lamps. No mods to the rest of the body.
I will think up a suitable prize for the winner if a design comes forth that I decide to make. A suitable prize may end up being a new tail light panel.

Please read all of the above before downloading the photoshop file or using the picture below for other programs.

Download the File Here

or use the pic below if you don't have Photoshop

------------------

[This message has been edited by AusFiero (edited 09-05-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tabs31

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2004 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tabs31Send a Private Message to Tabs31Direct Link to This Post
If anybody designs a nice set and it goes into production I'll grab a set

------------------

The 4.9 To Be!

Pyric

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2004 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyricSend a Private Message to PyricDirect Link to This Post
So, no alteration to the wiring harness? Or possibly minor alteration ? IE, does it have to use the stock lighting?
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2004 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
Here is someting to get the creative juices flowing. 1972 Australian Ford Falcon lenses used in a custom carbonfibre panel and the reflectors changed to reversing lights. These lenses are reflective so the lower ones aren't needed and reversing lights are.

AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2004 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post

AusFiero

11513 posts
Member since Feb 2001

Originally posted by Pyric:

So, no alteration to the wiring harness? Or possibly minor alteration ? IE, does it have to use the stock lighting?

Minor alteration to the wiring is fine. Any lights are possible. It just has to retain the stock lense shape to be a bolt in replacement.

[This message has been edited by AusFiero (edited 09-05-2004).]

AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2004 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post

AusFiero

11513 posts
Member since Feb 2001
Another idea? Ala Trans Am style.

Pyric

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2004 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyricSend a Private Message to PyricDirect Link to This Post
Wow... it's like the Fastback lights... except not

Pyric

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2004 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyricSend a Private Message to PyricDirect Link to This Post

Pyric

951 posts
Member since Nov 2001
or a little Mustang flavor

sqoach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2004 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post
You can tell I don't have photoshop...lol...

Basically, just a panel that fits over the clear section of the stock lights, as to just see the red section. Obviously, it would have to be a very thin piece, like sheet metal. And of course back up lights where the reflectors were.

Here's where the idea came from.

Pyric

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2004 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyricSend a Private Message to PyricDirect Link to This Post
Here is another.... Clear and Color.

I like the colored one better.

Nebiros88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2004 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nebiros88Click Here to visit Nebiros88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Nebiros88Direct Link to This Post
first of many designs

I hope you make a kit for new lights Aus... I will be one of the first on the list if its a good design because i would really like some updated looking lights for my car.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2004 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post
hmm new tail lights for notchies woo hoo

------------------
http://formula.cryptnix.com

Unsafe At Any Speed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 315
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2004 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Unsafe At Any SpeedSend a Private Message to Unsafe At Any SpeedDirect Link to This Post
I did a couple but can never get PIP to work. Someone want to post them for me? They're here: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/430558/2 (last two pictures). Thanks.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2004 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Unsafe At Any SpeedSend a Private Message to Unsafe At Any SpeedDirect Link to This Post

Unsafe At Any Speed

2299 posts
Member since Feb 2003
Pyric, you might want to post again soon.
Pyric

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2004 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyricSend a Private Message to PyricDirect Link to This Post
Here are Unsafe At Any Speed's pictures.

Unsafe At Any Speed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2004 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Unsafe At Any SpeedSend a Private Message to Unsafe At Any SpeedDirect Link to This Post
Thanks.
You're no longer at 666 posts.
Pyric

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2004 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyricSend a Private Message to PyricDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Unsafe At Any Speed:

Thanks.
You're no longer at 666 posts.

Those must have been my "Evil" set of tail lights

AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2004 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
Keep em coming. There is one in particular I like here besides my own of course I wont say which at present.

Red86SEautox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2004 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red86SEautoxClick Here to visit Red86SEautox's HomePageSend a Private Message to Red86SEautoxDirect Link to This Post
I like your first example Aus, but Pyric's color set looks real good too!
MiZer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 211
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2004 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MiZerSend a Private Message to MiZerDirect Link to This Post
i think the plain black one piece looks great. like a solid blackout for the back..

------------------

nosaj1985gtjason

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2004 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosaj1985gtjasonSend a Private Message to nosaj1985gtjasonDirect Link to This Post
Here's some italian inspired tail lights.

all the lights stay in the same place, you could utilize the factory tail light buckets and just fabricate a new outer lens.

PFF
System Bot
Vonov

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2004 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AusFiero:

My PS seems to have gone into rebellion on me, Aus. Do you remember ('66 or '67, can't remember which) the GTO taillights that were like three louvers on each side. In the daytime, the car looked like it had no taillights; the taillights were completely hidden until you hit the brakes. That was what I was thinking of, somewhat similar to the ones you have here...

------------------
88 Formula, "Asphalt Aviator"

Celebrate Artesian New Year!!!

Phil

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2004 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2004 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

I hate rules, hehehe

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2004 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
How long will this contest go on? I'd like to throw a few ideas together tomorrow... its getting too late for me to work in photoshop right now.
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2004 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
Probably about a week to give people some creative time.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2004 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
I like some of the pictures above but at the same time I don't want to see someone create a big head ache for their selves.

Keep something in mind here as you do these.... A final product should be 50 State legal in the U.S.

At the very least, you have to keep the correct number of brake and turn lamps but you also have keep things like the backup lights. The lights also have to be visible within a legally required angle of view. A light that is only visible to someone directly behind you is probably illegal.

Fortunately Fiero taillights don't include retro reflectors so you don't have to worry about those as long as you keep the ones in/on the bumper.

A final product may also be required to meet DOT marking requirements. Not just by the feds but some states. APC and a couple others have had to recall a large number of tail light units because they did not meet DOT FMVSS 108. (See the link page in my cave as a starting point.)

------------------
The only thing George Orwell got wrong was the year.

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2004 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

I like some of the pictures above but at the same time I don't want to see someone create a big head ache for their selves.

Keep something in mind here as you do these.... A final product should be 50 State legal in the U.S.

At the very least, you have to keep the correct number of brake and turn lamps but you also have keep things like the backup lights. The lights also have to be visible within a legally required angle of view. A light that is only visible to someone directly behind you is probably illegal.

Fortunately Fiero taillights don't include retro reflectors so you don't have to worry about those as long as you keep the ones in/on the bumper.

A final product may also be required to meet DOT marking requirements. Not just by the feds but some states. APC and a couple others have had to recall a large number of tail light units because they did not meet DOT FMVSS 108. (See the link page in my cave as a starting point.)

Hence asking people to use already available lenses.

Lex

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 217
User Banned

Report this Post09-06-2004 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LexClick Here to visit Lex's HomePageSend a Private Message to LexDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

I hate rules, hehehe

Almost looks like K1's Attack. Nice.

[This message has been edited by Lex (edited 09-06-2004).]

SILVERMIST

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SILVERMISTSend a Private Message to SILVERMISTDirect Link to This Post
I would love to have Ferrari 308 type tail lights (two round on each side). I have seen these on GT's, but not on notchies. If you make them, the check will be in the mail before you can finish the mold.
JG87LXi-2Fast_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JG87LXi-2Fast_FieroClick Here to visit JG87LXi-2Fast_Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to JG87LXi-2Fast_FieroDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lex:

Almost looks like K1's Attack. Nice.

It IS

Lex

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 217
User Banned

Report this Post09-06-2004 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LexClick Here to visit Lex's HomePageSend a Private Message to LexDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

It IS

Thought so. I think it would look great on a GT.

[This message has been edited by Lex (edited 09-06-2004).]

fierobrian

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 05:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobrianSend a Private Message to fierobrianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AusFiero:

i love these . i would save to get them first

jimmybpei

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimmybpeiSend a Private Message to jimmybpeiDirect Link to This Post
i have to agree that the trans am style llok the best so far.... just my opinion
i too waould buy aa set of ther if they were available for the rite price.

maybe i'll just make a set

later
JimmyB.

------------------

Tabs31

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tabs31Send a Private Message to Tabs31Direct Link to This Post
How about something along the lines of the 1990 fiero taillights:

I don't have photoshop or else I'll try to do it.

------------------

The 4.9 To Be!

Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyric:

Here are Unsafe At Any Speed's pictures.

Definitely digging the Ferrari 348 style tailights. Someone make something like that and I will be buying in minutes!!!! Someone make some notchie lights

------------------

1 of 2: Factory Maroon/Gray 87 GT 5 spd: 2.8L (Best 1/4 mile: 15.57@87mph, 2.0 60ft)
2 of 2: Ferrari Red 88 Formula/4T65EHD: 97 GTP Motor (Best 1/4 mile: 13.704@98mph, 1.938 60ft)

My Website
My CarDomain Site

FieroBUZZ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBUZZSend a Private Message to FieroBUZZDirect Link to This Post
Combo the Firebird slot lights with a black or c/f panel and some colour and voila.......

Tabs31

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tabs31Send a Private Message to Tabs31Direct Link to This Post
My Favorite:

Some please try this on a notchy I love the euro look of it.

------------------

The 4.9 To Be!

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Here we go...

I whipped up quite a few ideas for today.

Idea #1 ---> C/F panel using KameoKid's lenses on his ferrari taillight panel. Backup lights are incorporated in the red lenses.

For this panel, I'd like to see the lenses stick out at the top, so that the face of the lens is perpendicular to the ground. It would work this way because the notchie rear end is on a slant unlike the fastback. You can see what I mean in this profile outline:

Idea #2 ---> 2005 Mustang lenses on the tinted panel... looks almost like the stock setup but uses modern lenses. Back up lights would have to go where the reflectors in the bumper are.

Idea #3 ---> Integra c/f euro lights. Same ones that Fie Ro used on his fastback, but in c/f. The lenses sit in the c/f panel and the clear case goes over top.

Idea #4 ---> VW golf aftermarket LED tail lights. This uses the top portion of the aftermarket tail lights that are 3 rows of LEDs. The first picture uses the tinted panel, and the second picture uses the body colour panel.

Idea #5 ---> Lastly, APC retro style tail light lenses. These were orinally a vertical stack made for a pick up truck, and were turned to the side. They are the retro product line that incorporates 3-D lenses and fake brushed aluminum accents on a c/f panel.

Thats all for today, hopefully you like some of them. If I get any more ideas I'll be sure to post more.

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 09-06-2004).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock