Firebird Dash by Fiero Finale
Started on: 11-24-2004 02:40 AM
Replies: 57
Last post by: Stinkin_V8 on 01-02-2005 12:16 AM
Racer_JT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2004 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racer_JTSend a Private Message to Racer_JTDirect Link to This Post
YEA.......the first time for me to own page two
It looks like I'm getting one from an 96 TransAm 6 Speed. The guy says it's still in the car and he will cut it out with the connectors. Which ones do I need off the car? Are there any other than the guage connector that you need off the harness?

Thanks again,
Jesse

[This message has been edited by Racer_JT (edited 12-21-2004).]

IP: Logged
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2004 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
The dash harness also contains the trunk popper switch, if you have one on your Fiero it would be good to have that one. Also, if you want a modern radio you can grab the radio connector, and save yourself the trouble later of buying an adapter. Also get the cable to the A/C temperature selector. That cable can be used to control the Fiero airbox if you want the Firebird controls. If I think of anything else I'll let you know. Thanks.

Jonathan

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2004 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

The steering column on the firebird, aside from being too long, doesn't look any different. GM hasn't made any significant changes to the Saginaw column in about 30 years. They still have the cheesy turn signal knob that feels like it's going to break off in your hand.

i've been thinking about trying to adapt one from an import like my subaru..

Racer_JT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2004 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racer_JTSend a Private Message to Racer_JTDirect Link to This Post
Do you have a hi-res pic of the 90 prototype article. I want to look into making that, maybe I can work out some details to produce these????????? email me racerjt@vafieroclub.com

Thanks
Jesse

Racer_JT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2004 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racer_JTSend a Private Message to Racer_JTDirect Link to This Post

Racer_JT

1419 posts
Member since Apr 2002
Hey whats a good price for the guages and the gauge connectors, I have this one but he wants me to make an offer? Also the 88 fiero speedo, is there any other car that has the same circuit board that you need?
LMK,
Jesse

[This message has been edited by Racer_JT (edited 12-22-2004).]

Racer_JT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2004 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racer_JTSend a Private Message to Racer_JTDirect Link to This Post

Racer_JT

1419 posts
Member since Apr 2002
Bump
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2004 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Racer_JT:

Hey whats a good price for the guages and the gauge connectors, I have this one but he wants me to make an offer? Also the 88 fiero speedo, is there any other car that has the same circuit board that you need?
LMK,
Jesse

I have the 90 Prototype article at home, (I'm in NY now)...but my scanner hasn't worked since I installed XP. Long story short I eventually can get a high res scan for you. I think a 90 gauge pod coupled with the gauges and pnp harness would be a great upgrade for the Fiero.

I would offer $40 for the gauge and connector. It would be worth a little more than that, but I'd start at $40 and see if they would go for that. I don't know if any other car has the proper speedometer board but I know the 88 has it for sure.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 12-23-2004).]

Racer_JT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2004 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Racer_JTSend a Private Message to Racer_JTDirect Link to This Post

the AC temp control cable were cut...but i do have the trunk popper switch and the radio connector....so how about this, for the clutster, popper switch and radio connector all 3 for $75 included shipping to your door..thanks

Thomas Built Construction <jesse@thomasbuilt.net> wrote:
How bout $25.00 do you have any of these, the cable to the A/C temperature selector, trunk popper switch and connector and the radio connector?

Thanks,
Jesse

This is my email with the guy. I was thinking I would hit back with $50 if will include the gauge pod bezel. What do you think?

Racer_JT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2004 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Racer_JTSend a Private Message to Racer_JTDirect Link to This Post
Gauges with connectors
Trunk popper with connector
Radio connector
Gauge surround
$75 shipped

Do you think this is a good deal?

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2004 02:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I would take that deal. The gauge connector is hard enough to find that he's basically throwing it in for free. It's not a bad deal at all. I started it at $40 just to give you some room to negotiate.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 12-24-2004).]

Racer_JT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2004 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racer_JTSend a Private Message to Racer_JTDirect Link to This Post
I got in all of the above today. Where are you in maybe getting out some wiring for me? I have not started my redesign of the dash yet. Still looking at how to go about doing it. Does any one have any good forward pics of the dash for me to play around with?

Jesse

PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2004 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Racer_JT:

I got in all of the above today. Where are you in maybe getting out some wiring for me? Jesse

I'm still officially on holiday...PM me about putting together a harness for you...

- Jonathan

84Fiero2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2004 02:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84Fiero2M4Send a Private Message to 84Fiero2M4Direct Link to This Post
JScott1, could you make me a plug n play connector for my 84?

------------------
I NEED SOME SILVER OREIF DOOR TABS
www.outpimp.com/?x=461381 www.mistreetscene.org www.cardomain.com/memberpage/570222

[This message has been edited by 84Fiero2M4 (edited 12-30-2004).]

84Fiero2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2004 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84Fiero2M4Send a Private Message to 84Fiero2M4Direct Link to This Post

84Fiero2M4

1060 posts
Member since Sep 2004
Actually, scratch that after reading some of the build up threads my jaw dropped and I now give you guys who have done this swap a BIG thumbs up.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2004 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84Fiero2M4:

Actually, scratch that ...

Does that mean you are not doing the firebird dash afterall?

Stinkin_V8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2005 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stinkin_V8Send a Private Message to Stinkin_V8Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:
... It has the divide by two cicuit that I need to feed the ECM....

...The 88 Speedometer is preferred because it has the "M" pin which outputs 4000 pulse per mile that was originally intended to drive the electro-hydraulic power steering. It is perfect for driving the Firebird speedometer, (which runs on 4000 ppm)....

Jonathan, have you checked out DRAC and/or VSSB modules from early 90's GM vehicles? I'm not sure which way you're trying to convert but it struck me that this might help. The DRAC outputs 2K PPM to the engine computer and speedometer and 4K PPM to the cruise. I soldered DIP switched to the one I used in an S-10 project to calibrate the speedometer and was able to calibrate my speedo with the switches and a hnd held GPS.

Here is a link to some info.. Here's some more.

These things are a dime a dozen at the wrecker, the DIP switches will cost you couch cushion change and the soldering is straght-forward.

Maybe one of these could eliminate the need to cannibalize a Fiero speedo?

------------------

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2005 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stinkin_V8:

Jonathan, have you checked out DRAC and/or VSSB modules from early 90's GM vehicles? I'm not sure which way you're trying to convert but it struck me that this might help. The DRAC outputs 2K PPM to the engine computer and speedometer and 4K PPM to the cruise. ...

Maybe one of these could eliminate the need to cannibalize a Fiero speedo?

Thanks for the information... At first I didn't have a clue what you were talking about but the speedometer board in the Fiero essentially performs the same function as the DRAC. They may be plentiful in the yards but I'm not sure how I would recongize them? Maybe I need to explore and see if I can find one and experiment with it.

However I still need to canabalize the Fiero speedometer to get the connectors off the back, (which aren't really connectors but physically part of the back of the speedometer.) I could probably come up with a way to elliminate that as well, but I'm only planning to build a handfull of these things. If I were to go into production of these I probably would look for another solution.

Stinkin_V8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2005 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stinkin_V8Send a Private Message to Stinkin_V8Direct Link to This Post
Well, I hope it turns out to be something you can use. Worst case scenario is that you'll be able to calibrate for different tire sizes with it. The DRAC can be found piggy-backed on the ECM in the vehicles it was used in. I can say for sure you can find it in the '89-'91 S-10 with the 4.3. The DRAC itself is a little white box that you can easily pop open. It's about 3x3x1 inches IIRC.

I'd be interested in knowing if it turns out useful. Drop me a PM if it works out.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock