Started on: 02-13-2005 09:59 AM
Replies: 14
Last post by: Toddster on 02-18-2005 04:27 PM
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2005 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
I was wondering if anyone has any info or pictures of the 1984 Indy 500 Official Truck seen below:

I also remember seeing one pic with the truck towing the pace car on a trailer, but I can't find it in my files.

Any info, such as possible options, engine, production numbers, interior color, etc. is appreciated, especially if there is a way to identify an original truck. Thank you!

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero5

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 367
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2005 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post
I have been looking for one of thos eactually to buy. I think it would be such an added look to tow my Indy Fiero behind an Indy pace truck hauler of the same year
I was also thinking worst case I could find an '84 truck of the same model and options and have it painted the same color scheme and then add the graphics and just make my own.
My only concern is how well that model sized truck could actually tow a Fiero?
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2005 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
I was actually thinking the same thing Unfortunately info on these trucks seems to be non-existant. It would be a good parts truck/Fiero hauler/backup vehicle until I buy an Indy. If you can't find an original Indy truck, it couln't be too hard to make it into one. I never see them up here, but I can't imagine they're too expensive.

Engines for the 84 trucks included

an 84 HP / 101 TQ 1.9L 2 bbl carburated 4 cyl (Vin A)
an 83 HP / 108 TQ 2.0L 2 bbl carburated 4 cyl (Vin Y)
a 58 HP / 93 TQ 2.2L Diesel 4 cyl (Vin S)
a 110 HP / 148 TQ 2.8L 2 bbl carburated V6 (Vin B).

DRA

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2005 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post
As far as the drivetrain goes, drop a SBC in and your set, plenty of aftermarket support for the S-10s as far as V8 conversions go. A nice mild 350 with a th400 sounds good to me.
Is there a source for the indy graphics, gotta be someone out there that makes um.

A SB S-10 has always been back there in mind, I've seen a few around here for sale at what I would consider a decent price (and I'm cheap!).

hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2005 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
They also made a few full size GMC pickups, GMC tow trucks/rollbacks, and GMC Astro vans in Indy paint. Odds are slim finding a 84 truck in good shape let alone a Indy truck as they were never a collectable and were used up as regular trucks.

Might keep an eye out someone some where may have put one back and it may show up some day. Most of these trucks seem to end up in Ohio, Indana, Michigan and Illinois after the race at Indy. These states may be a good place to start looking but I know they can be found in most other states too.

I always find a lot of Indy vehicles and Real NASCAR pace cars in northern Ohio for some reason? The last few years Pontiac was the offical Pace car of NASCAR They would end up at several sealers in the Akron area. They would have the full strobe Light systems and special paint and lettering still on. Pontiac would remove the lowering springs and aftermarket wheels to retrurn the cars back to stock. Most of them had 5,000 miles and were sold on used car lots. I even saw the Pontiac GP from the Bud Shootout here once.

If you want a 84 Indy truck like this I would look for a low milage 84 in good condition and just paint it up and get the lettering made as if you ever find a real one odds your going to have to repaint it anyway. No one will know the differance anyway. You can even get a different year and put a 84 grill in it to make the right year.

Fiero5

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 367
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2005 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by DRA:

Is there a source for the indy graphics, gotta be someone out there that makes um.

Yes, Phoenix Graphics sells the complete graphics kit including the red fader stripes
I am looking into this in the next few days. Thanks RWDPLZ for getting me remotivated on this.

paced84

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2005 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paced84Send a Private Message to paced84Direct Link to This Post
I found a 1984 Jimmy for sale last summer. Was going to refinish as an Indy, but found floor boards rusted out as well as a lot of other things. I have been looking for a 1984 Jimmy, but this is the only one I have found in the last two years. Continue to look. Have never seen an Indy truck after the "500"
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2005 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I don't think I would want an S10 towing a Fiero. I would go for the full size GMC.
red GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2005 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for red GTSend a Private Message to red GTDirect Link to This Post
Heres an 85 but with a little paint who knows, cool idea you guys...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=176864171&dealer_id=5371827&car_year=1985&make=GMC&distance=0&lang=en&max_price=&model=S15&end_year=2006&min_price=&certified=&address= 32817&search_type=both&advanced=&start_year=1981&isp=y&cardist=2527

------------------
8T6 GT

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2005 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Monday night *bump*

I also looked at other trucks on the road today, and noticed two things

1) 90% of the trucks in this town are Fords

2) Only 1 or 2 were old enough to make a good coversion, but neither were GMC's or Chevy's

RRobinson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2005 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RRobinsonSend a Private Message to RRobinsonDirect Link to This Post
Cool topic. I always thought it would be nice to make an 84 Indy Hauler replica S-10 to match my Indy. If you look closely, there's alot of neat detailing in the truck, like the two tone paint, GFX, Firebird wheels painted white, and decaling. You could have some serious fun building that truck, a SBC would pep things up nicely. I had an 84 Jimmy with the 2.8 V6 "engine" that thing couldn't haul it's way out of a paper bag.!!!

------------------
88 GT 5-Speed...5K orig
88 GT 5-Speed...16K orig
88 GT Auto...42K orig
87 GT 5-Speed, Blue...18K orig
87 GT 5-Speed...55K orig
86 GT Auto...8K orig
85 GT Auto...70K, future LT1
84 Indy 5-Speed, (yes 5)...80K

PFF
System Bot
befarrer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2005 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for befarrerSend a Private Message to befarrerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

I was actually thinking the same thing Unfortunately info on these trucks seems to be non-existant. It would be a good parts truck/Fiero hauler/backup vehicle until I buy an Indy. If you can't find an original Indy truck, it couln't be too hard to make it into one. I never see them up here, but I can't imagine they're too expensive.

Engines for the 84 trucks included

an 84 HP / 101 TQ 1.9L 2 bbl carburated 4 cyl (Vin A)
an 83 HP / 108 TQ 2.0L 2 bbl carburated 4 cyl (Vin Y)
a 58 HP / 93 TQ 2.2L Diesel 4 cyl (Vin S)
a 110 HP / 148 TQ 2.8L 2 bbl carburated V6 (Vin B).

No wonder the 84 Fiero seemed quick back then, I couldnt imagine having 58HP and 93TQ in a truck with any weight in it. The 2.8 was only 110HP and 148 TQ before FI too. Makes my 84 Chevette sound fast with its whopping 74HP H.O. engine.

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2005 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by befarrer:

No wonder the 84 Fiero seemed quick back then, I couldnt imagine having 58HP and 93TQ in a truck with any weight in it. The 2.8 was only 110HP and 148 TQ before FI too. Makes my 84 Chevette sound fast with its whopping 74HP H.O. engine.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I first saw those numbers. Then you look at numbers of other sporty cars of the time, and even sports cars, and just think "wow"

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2005 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RRobinson:
...I had an 84 Jimmy with the 2.8 V6 "engine" that thing couldn't haul it's way out of a paper bag.!!!

Awww... I dunno. I had a well used (retired fleet vehicle) '83 long bed S-10 with a 2.8 and an Isuzu 4 speed.
Picture this thing piled to the top of the cab with phone books. It was riding on the bump stops, and was still able to move under its own power.
Barely.

------------------
Raydar
88 3.4 coupe...........

Coming soon...
88 Formula, presently under the knife.

Read Nealz Nuze!

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 504
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2005 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
Great minds think alike!

I was thinking of getting a 1984 GMC and restoring it with the Indy package to use for towing the Indy I am making. I'd like to know what happened to the originals too.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock