Started on: 09-13-2005 11:05 PM
Replies: 49
Last post by: California Kid on 09-23-2005 09:48 PM
California Kid

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2005 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
I've got my parts ordered from Sluppy123, but I'm seriously thinking of just upgrading the front rotors. The main reason I'm thinking this way is that if you look at any "Serious" street performance car, the rear rotors are always smaller diameter, for a very good reason (to prevent rear brake lockup during hard braking). We all know the Fiero being mid-engine, doesn't like to have it's a$$ end loose, especially in a turn, and I'm not 100% comfortable that all things are equal related to the equal rotor surface increase (all corners of the Fiero over stock size), using the Fiero stock rear brake proportioning valve.

What has been you experience with very hard, or panic stops with the 12 inch upgrade all around????

IP: Logged
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2005 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by California Kid:

I've got my parts ordered from Sluppy123, but I'm seriously thinking of just upgrading the front rotors. The main reason I'm thinking this way is that if you look at any "Serious" street performance car, the rear rotors are always smaller diameter, for a very good reason (to prevent rear brake lockup during hard braking). We all know the Fiero being mid-engine, doesn't like to have it's a$$ end loose, especially in a turn, and I'm not 100% comfortable that all things are equal related to the equal rotor surface increase (all corners of the Fiero over stock size), using the Fiero stock rear brake proportioning valve.

What has been you experience with very hard, or panic stops with the 12 inch upgrade all around????

I have not had a problem, in fact I think that the stock Fiero puts to much bias on the front. By doing the four wheel rotor upgrade I wont put even moor bias up front. I have heard my front wheels skid under HARD brakes+corners in the hills but have not heard the rears skid. I have NAILED the brakes at high speed just see how the car would "behave" under extreme braking. The result was a PERFECTLY smooth and straight stop. I could have just let go of the wheel, but I ain't that stupid But before I start to mess with the Proportioning Vavle for more rear bias, I will keep driving on the set up that I have for a while.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 09-23-2005).]

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2005 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

I have not had a problem, in fact I think that the stock Fiero puts to much bias on the front. By doing the four wheel rotor upgrade I wont put even moor bias up front. I have heard my front wheels skid under HARD brakes+corners in the hills but have not heard the rears skid. I have NAILED the brakes at high speed just see how the car would "behave" under extreme braking. The result was a PERFECTLY smooth and straight stop. I could have just let go of the wheel, but I ain't that stupid But before I start to mess with the Proportioning Vavle for more rear bias, I will keep driving on the set up that I have for a while.

I have these brakes too. I got the same results to the same tests. Great minds think alike.

Black88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2005 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black88GTSend a Private Message to Black88GTDirect Link to This Post
I have emailed www.fastbrakes.com about trying to do a kit for 88s so we can upgrade the calipers and they said they were looking into it.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2005 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the responses, here's another question; Has anyone found the 12 inch rotors for this application the have the "hat" portion of the rotor a machined surface, instead of cast???
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2005 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by California Kid:

Thanks for the responses, here's another question; Has anyone found the 12 inch rotors for this application the have the "hat" portion of the rotor a machined surface, instead of cast???

MadCurl had his "smoothed" and chromed. I had mine ceramic coated but not smoothed. I guess you could have them machined smooth but you would have to have them coated with something. The rust grows FAST.
Or are talking about two piece rotors? If so try Bear Brakes they may make them. But that is just to much money. I would just have a competent machine shop do it to the outside of stock cast units.

Rickker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2005 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickkerSend a Private Message to RickkerDirect Link to This Post
These were made by Roto-Tech in Toronto, Ontario. I think this is the same supplier that GSRXBobby used. I painted the hat area as shown in this pic:

The funny thing is, when I received the four rotors I had ordered, two had a machined hat surface, and the other two had a as-cast surface in the hat area. Everything else was the same. Weird.

....Rickker

California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2005 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, I'm just hoping someone will post that they found Rotors that had machined hats, and were electro plated as well. Even the zinc plate lasts a very long time, when the car is not driven on saltly roads, and keep the rotors looking like new. I know I'm being picky, but if you can buy right the first time, it saves the extra work, and expense.
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2005 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
I agree with what Cali said, the Zinc plating has made a huge difference. Even after sitting for months, the rotors show no signs or rust or anything. Well worth it. And as mentioned before, there is a difference in height when you look at the as cast compared to machined surfaces.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2005 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
Pricey Options:

For Approx $500 4 Fronts shipped from Baer

For Approx $1,000 4 Fronts shipped from Baer

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay