Started on: 09-13-2005 11:05 PM
Replies: 49
Last post by: California Kid on 09-23-2005 09:48 PM
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2005 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Well There once was a guy named Suppy123,
He had a set of brackets to upgrade the brakes on 88 Fieros using 88-94 front 12" Corvette rotors (non-HD) https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/027568.html
The price was right and I got a set and stuck them on!

Then I grabed two sets of these puppies from ----> http://cgi.ebay.c om/ebaymotors/Chevy-Corvette-88-96-Front-Drill-Slot-Rotors-FREE-S-H_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33564QQitemZ7999083813QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
Very good service! Then drilled them to 5x100 bolt pattern

Nice huh! zinc plated too!

Oh I then picked up a set of these guys (SS braided)

Moral of the story ..........

------------------

88 GT, 3800SC, Getrag 5sp. 12" Vette Rotors, Bunch-o-Custom stuff done

[This message has been edited by revin (edited 09-13-2005).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2005 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Old stock..

New bling.. (oh the tires are 17's)

Holy Crap!
This thing STOPS!!! (and GOES!! heh heh
Thank You Slupply!

[This message has been edited by revin (edited 09-13-2005).]

ThatRickGuy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2005 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThatRickGuyClick Here to visit ThatRickGuy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ThatRickGuyDirect Link to This Post
Wow. excuse me while I go find my jaw, I think it's in the basement.

How much did the conversion cost? Is there an option for the rears too?

-Rick

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2005 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
NICE!

Now I need to install something new for the Ruckus....

(checks parts room, nothing there new, gives up)

revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2005 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
I paid $300 for 4 brackets and 4 rotors.( did the re-drill 5x100 myself)
I got a deal on the brake lines at $50 for all 4
After getting the bolts, the whole project took about 1.5 hours to do.( 1 man)

I used the STOCK CALIPERS and the Emergency brake still works.

Fiero_Adam

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2005 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_AdamSend a Private Message to Fiero_AdamDirect Link to This Post
Looks nice! Any issues during/after installation?

------------------

FORMERLY KNOWN AS: sqoach (so, uh...yeah.........I'm not a noob) :p

ThatRickGuy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2005 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThatRickGuyClick Here to visit ThatRickGuy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ThatRickGuyDirect Link to This Post
Ohhhh, I see, so it's stock 1 piston calipers, but a much larger disc (I'm kinda slow today!). Still, that's a hell of a deal, $350 + a drill job, that's not that much more then a new set of rotors and lines for all four corners.

-Rick

88gtNewb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2005 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88gtNewbClick Here to visit 88gtNewb's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88gtNewbDirect Link to This Post
That looks great.
Can't wait to get mine on

------------------

Fiero. Die Form besticht. Die Technik überzeugt.

86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2005 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
One thing, not sure if you are using them or not, but when I got my 12" package it had hub centric rings, which I ended up having to remove because they would not let the rotor sit flush to the hub, so when the lugs were tightened then rotor caps would warp, causeing the rotors to warp and giving the car a really bad vibration. It started with the front drivers. Then next time the wheels were off it came back, and I removed the rears then the next time I had the wheels off it did it again, so I removed the last one and it was fine once again. Im not sure why they all didnt do it at once, I set them all to 100 ft lbs. But Im just saying if you get a vibration try taking them out.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2005 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
How did you drill the 5 x 100 pattern? I guess it doesn't have to be 100% dead on since the studs just pass through the rotor.
NorthFloridaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2005 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NorthFloridaFieroSend a Private Message to NorthFloridaFieroDirect Link to This Post
Damn. Thats def. on my todo list.
PFF
System Bot
AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 327
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2005 03:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
Got my brackets yesterday to do the same.
Now if only my 88 would hurry up and get here.
opm2000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2005 05:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86GT3.4DOHC:

One thing, not sure if you are using them or not, but when I got my 12" package it had hub centric rings, which I ended up having to remove because they would not let the rotor sit flush to the hub,

Some time ago, several of us went together and had these brackets and centering rings made up and got our rotors drilled, at the same machine shop. One thing we did, was to have a chamfer turned into the inside bottom edge of the centering rings. The machinist took his time but he understood the situation.

With a new rotor, the straight sided rings will fit snug & square, but given some age, some corrosion, and some latent accumulation of dirt, the chamfer needs to be there. I can't imagine running without the rings.

David Breeze

------------------

Pantera Rebody Kits

revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2005 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
As far as the drilling goes... The way to do it is to put the centering ring in the new rotors, then get a pipe ( same size as the hub size about a 2-3" dia. pipe piece). Then place a old rotor( 5x100) on the pipe that sticks through, that will center the rotor. move to inbetween the other holes on the new hub and dril 1 hole. then put a nut and bolt through that 1 hole to hold the roitors together and drill the rest of the holes ! not real hard. but better be dead on or you WILL feel it.

On the centric rings, there was not any problems with the rotor sitting flush. I even did a little bit of tapping on the ring to "seat" it in well. so far so good ! I will remove if needed! thanks for the tip!!

Aus..... Check that ebay site for the rotors, they seem fine, and cheap

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2005 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

Hmmmm. These appear to be two different rotors. Comments?

I have to admit that for engineering reasons I'm not a fan of aftermarket drilled and/or slotted rotors. If you're like me, you can buy genuine GM Corvette rotors (GM #18027889, AC/Delco #18A289) from GmPartsDirect.com for about $51 each ... including shipping.

In addition to Sluppy123's brackets and the Corvette rotors, you will need eight bolts to attach the four brackets to the Fiero knuckles; 12 x 1.75 mm metric cap screws (10.9 grade) 25 mm long. The conversion will move the rear calipers down about an inch, so if your rear brake hoses are already pretty short it will make things even worse. Most aftermarket PTFE/stainles braid hoses sold for the stock '88 Fiero will definitely be too short for this conversion. Refer to the picture below of a stock caliper/rotor installation and also see https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/066568.html for a more detailed discussion of the issues.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 09-14-2005).]

newfie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2005 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfieSend a Private Message to newfieDirect Link to This Post
I did the swap a while ago, with the group buy a bunch of us did here on the forum. I bought new ss brake lines and they were long enough. The only problem I did have is the new rotor rubbed on the LCA on the front drivers. I posted about it and found out I wasn't the only one with the problem. If you notice the 'vette rotor is deeper than the stock and sits closer to the suspension. I had also rebuit my suspensioin so my alignment was way off. I ended up rubbing a bit of metal off the the lca to clear the rotor enough to drive it. At least to get it to an alignment shop. No problems since though. Just a heads up to anyone doing the swap, if you hear a metal on metal scrapping comming from your front end, thats probably the problem.
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2005 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
If anyone needs bolts for the swap, let me know, Ive got TONS of extras I think I bought 25 packs. They're brand new, socket head cap screws
revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2005 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post

If anyone needs bolts for the swap, let me know, Ive got TONS of extras I think I bought 25 packs. They're brand new, socket head cap screws

OHHHHHH NOW YOU TELL ME !!!!

blackrams

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2005 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
I did this conversion about 18 months ago on my 4.9, bought two more sets for other cars when I got the time an inclination. What I can say is that this is one hell of a lot of bang for the buck, the difference is unbelieveable when switching from my 4.9 converted C4 brakes to a stocker. I was one of the group that Dave above is speaking of. Simply unbelieveable!

------------------
Ron
Freedom isn't Free, it's always earned.
My imagination is the only limiting factor to my Fiero. Ooops forgot about the money issue.

SNMFX

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-14-2005 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SNMFXClick Here to visit SNMFX's HomePageSend a Private Message to SNMFXDirect Link to This Post
West Coast Fiero Sells the Kit
http://www.westcoastfiero.com/

------------------

Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2005 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post

where did you get them, cause i'm going to need 16 of them.

thanks,
thomas...

PFF
System Bot
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2005 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
I got the Fiero Store SS Lines. BUT I ordered the custom length 2"longer version for the rear. PERFECT fit.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 09-14-2005).]

enthashyt

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2005 04:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for enthashytSend a Private Message to enthashytDirect Link to This Post
I'm confused. I thought with 88 fieros the only thing you needed to replace was the rotors. I thought they would work with the stock calipers witout the use of a bracket. I thought only the pre-88 fieros needed an adapter setup. Am I understanding this incorrectly?

Or is it that to make the 88's work with no adapter you use rotors from an 87 corvette, but to get use of an 88 corvette rotor you have to have the adapter. Is that it?

Doh! Ok, I have read and read and read on this and apparently now I'm back to square one. I have an 88 and an 87 I want to upgrade(88 first). Someone paint a picture for me please.

blackrams

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2005 05:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by enthashyt:
I'm confused. Someone paint a picture for me please.

I'll try, first and foremost, this particular upgrade will only work on the 88 Fiero. You have to use an adapter plate because the C4 Corvette Rotors will force you to move the caliper in 3/8 of an inch and out due to the increased size of the rotor over stock. You will need twice the number of bolts with this upgrade because now you're bolting the adapter plate where the calipers used to mount and then mounting the caliper (relocated) to the adapter plate but 3/8 of an inch further in and much farther out from the center of the hub. Though you can use the old stock rubber brake hoses, I highly recommend you replace them with slightly longer steel braided lines, I learned this the hard way. That help? I assure you, if you do this brake brake rotor conversion, your Fiero has never had the stopping power you are about to expereince.

------------------
Ron
Freedom isn't Free, it's always earned.
My imagination is the only limiting factor to my Fiero. Ooops forgot about the money issue.

revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2005 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
I can vouch for THAT !!
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2005 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by enthashyt:

I'm confused. I thought with 88 fieros the only thing you needed to replace was the rotors. I thought they would work with the stock calipers witout the use of a bracket. I thought only the pre-88 fieros needed an adapter setup.

Okay here is the picture:

The 88 will work with the stock calipers, but the rotor is over an inch larger, you need the adapter to move the caliper out or else it wouldn't fit.

The 84 to 87 you need to change the calipers, as the new rotors are significantly thicker, and I believe on the front you have to have the front rotor ground down to just a hub and the rotor goes over top of that.

Racingman24

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2005 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post
Hey Rickady, Do you know how long your rear hoses are. I just got mine from the Fiero Store, and just want to make sure they are the correct ones before I try to put them on.

They are the Ocelet Brand. Two of them are a bit longer, I just want to be damn sure.

Eric

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2005 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Here is the thread I started when I got them:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20050818-1-051655.html

They are 18 inches long, I special ordered them. Yes, they are the Ocelet's.

Racingman24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2005 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post
Cool, that means I got the right ones. I just measured mine, and they are like 20" from tip to tip, and about 18" of just hose.

Sweeet, I get to put them on.

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2005 03:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Racingman24:

Cool, that means I got the right ones. I just measured mine, and they are like 20" from tip to tip, and about 18" of just hose.

Sweeet, I get to put them on.

Don't forget that the long ones are for the front. I got custom rear lines only. The fronts are a great fit as they are sold, but the shorter of the lines are for the rear and were to short. I talked to them on the phone and got them to open up a set and measure the rears. Sure enough, they were the same length as the first set of SS lines that I got from another vendor that were to short. So I asked if I could get a set that was the correct length and they sent them out to me

Look close and you can see three rear brake lines in this pic. They are tied together. One line is stock, one line is the standard length SS rear line and the third is the custom Fiero Store SS line.

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2005 06:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
What happened to Sluppy123 ??? Is he still making these parts ? Haven't seen him post in a while.

------------------

Car History: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/025670.html

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 09-17-2005).]

PFF
System Bot
revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2005 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Have not heard from him Cali. Good product and seller.

I have NO problems with my length. They are Earl's ss

------------------

88 GT, 3800SC, Getrag 5sp. 12" Vette Rotors,Custom stuff done

newfie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2005 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfieSend a Private Message to newfieDirect Link to This Post
Where do you get those 'Pontiac' decals for the calipers????
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2005 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tom Slick:

where did you get them, cause i'm going to need 16 of them.

I purchased socket head cap screws from McMaster-Carr ; part number 91290A616, $8.44 for a pack of 25. These are hex head, grade 12.9, M12 x 1.75 cap screws with a black oxide finish.

Originally posted by California Kid:

What happened to Suppy123 ??? Is he still making these parts ? Haven't seen him post in a while.

He's still around, and he is also very good at responding to inquiries. I purchased a set of '88 brackets from him within the past month. Even though I told him I wasn't in a hurry, I still had my brackets within three or four days.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 09-17-2005).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2005 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newfie:

Where do you get those 'Pontiac' decals for the calipers????

Here: http://www.xenonmods.com/

They're even on sale right now!

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 09-17-2005).]

sluppy123

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2005 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Direct Link to This Post
I'm still making the brackets and centering rings to do this swap, PM or e-mail me if interested. I don't keep them is stock but make them as they are ordered.

revin- How much clearance do you have between the outside diameter of the rotor and the bridge of the caliper? Any grinding required on the caliper to clear the rotor? I've had a couple people that had to remove some casting flash so it wouldn't rub.

------------------

Silver 87' GT- Turbo Charged/intercooled 2.8 V-6
Maroon 87' GT- 355 TPI V8, 5-speed
Maroon 88' Coupe- 3800sc, 4spd auto

Racingman24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2005 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

Don't forget that the long ones are for the front. I got custom rear lines only. The fronts are a great fit as they are sold, but the shorter of the lines are for the rear and were to short. I talked to them on the phone and got them to open up a set and measure the rears. Sure enough, they were the same length as the first set of SS lines that I got from another vendor that were to short. So I asked if I could get a set that was the correct length and they sent them out to me

Look close and you can see three rear brake lines in this pic. They are tied together. One line is stock, one line is the standard length SS rear line and the third is the custom Fiero Store SS line.

Ok, one more question then, how long are your front ones?

revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2005 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sluppy123:

I'm still making the brackets and centering rings to do this swap, PM or e-mail me if interested. I don't keep them is stock but make them as they are ordered.

revin- How much clearance do you have between the outside diameter of the rotor and the bridge of the caliper? Any grinding required on the caliper to clear the rotor? I've had a couple people that had to remove some casting flash so it wouldn't rub.

no but REAL close, just a tad bit closer trhan the stock rotors clear. I did not grind anything

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2005 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Racingman, my fronts were 22.5" from tip to tip.

Racingman24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2005 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post
Rickady, you have a PM

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock