Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  new style notch back tails lights (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
new style notch back tails lights by Mickey_Moose
Started on: 06-28-2005 03:01 PM
Replies: 64
Last post by: MoneyNoMo on 03-07-2006 04:31 AM
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2005 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
Well I finally got some time to fool around with this as per my entry in the tail light contest (2nd post down): https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20050119-1-045322-3.html

Though I would share with you all the progress so far.

started off with making up the mask of the inital design:

next proceeded to make up the mask for the inside of the lens and mount it:

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 06-28-2005).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2005 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
continued on adding the colored section for Pontiac:

the inner lens needed to be remade to get the amber color, scoured the junk yards till I came across these lens from a ~91 Cavalier on the rear trunk and took the clear sections out from behind the red lens:

next was to cut to fit and add some color to the lens. This was done using an air brush and transparent amber/red paint (bought from a hobby store). Here are the colored lens mounted in the outer lens:

FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2005 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKDirect Link to This Post
Thats looking pretty good so far !

------------------
"but when equipped with NOS, sometimes I feel invincible..."
"but when I race from a roll it's hard to hit 2nd"

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2005 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
next was to modify the reflector to prevent light from either the red or amber side bleeding over to the other side. This was accomplished by cutting up a broken set of lens for the divider between the red and backup lights. It was cut to fit and glued to the section between the red and amber using an industrial acrylic glue:

all together, ready to be assembled and installed:

The wiring will also need to be modified some to account for the separate colors, just some cutting and splicing needed, plus I will have to run an extra wire for the brake lights now (or a GT harness could just be used, which I don't have easy access to right now).

LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2005 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
Holy ****... that is freakin' GORGEOUS...

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com
1988 Red Fiero Formula Convertible

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2005 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Very Very cool !

I like them ! Now get busy on some GT lights j/k

------------------

88 GT, 3800SC, Getrag 5sp. Custom

[This message has been edited by revin (edited 06-28-2005).]

MilleniumFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2005 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MilleniumFieroSend a Private Message to MilleniumFieroDirect Link to This Post
holy crap those are amazing!!

------------------
prowling the pacific...

87 GT - V8 - 5 Speed

85_Fiero_2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2005 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85_Fiero_2M4Send a Private Message to 85_Fiero_2M4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MilleniumFiero:

holy crap those are amazing!!

Indeed!!!

slickrick2000

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2005 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slickrick2000Send a Private Message to slickrick2000Direct Link to This Post
Yeah I am gonna have to agree! Those look exceptional.

What did you use for the mask on the inside of the lens?

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2005 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
That looks great I would be happy with the Pontiac middle section only. Now you can take off that ugly Pontiac stick-on label on the bumper
LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2005 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post
damn! you should market them it's not everyday someone does something for the notchie! I think it'd look a little more killer w/o the pontiac, but I do like them overall!

------------------
3800sc Fiero crippled :(

PFF
System Bot
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2005 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post
Hi all,

Joining the bandwagon and saything those look freakin awesome!!

BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2005 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
amazing work dude!
hope you sell em cause i may (eventually) get a set!

------------------

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/050262.html "Ritalin"

Tinton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
User Banned

Report this Post06-28-2005 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TintonSend a Private Message to TintonDirect Link to This Post
Holy crap those are AWESOME!!!!!!! They remind me of the 1990 Prototype lights (I don't have a picture of them handy ). I think I want to get a notchie now just so I can get some of those...

------------------
I am the signature virus, please put me in your signature so I can spread

Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2005 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
Love it! Use the sequential turn lights with those!
865spd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2005 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 865spdClick Here to visit 865spd's HomePageSend a Private Message to 865spdDirect Link to This Post
WOW!! Those look awesome. Anything for the fastback?
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2005 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Very nice work! They look a lot like the 3rd Gen Trans Am GTA tail lights similar to these:

You may just have a marketable product here. I really like it. If you're not interested in completed lights, maybe offer a kit with the stencils and instructions? (and parts list on where to find the right lenses, etc.)

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 06-28-2005).]

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2005 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Those look real nice... keep the pictures coming.
debug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2005 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for debugClick Here to visit debug's HomePageSend a Private Message to debugDirect Link to This Post
I would throw down money right now for a set of those. I really like the look of a notchback other than the stock lights. Those look 1000 times better than the stock lights do. Would be killer on a notchy with a chop! Please, for the love of God, make more so I can get a set to replace my poor old cracked and foggy taillights

-Randy

fierce_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2005 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierce_gtSend a Private Message to fierce_gtDirect Link to This Post
i thought we were just dreaming to have something like that. how did you make the inserts?

------------------

Winnipeg Fiero Owners Group

MiZer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 211
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2005 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MiZerSend a Private Message to MiZerDirect Link to This Post
good job
PFF
System Bot
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2005 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
Those look awesome!

------------------

Bottle Fed 4.9 V8 5 Speed
I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.
"Whatever happened to stimpy?"

jdee74

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2005 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jdee74Send a Private Message to jdee74Direct Link to This Post
Excellent, please consider selling these or a kit to make them. They look great!

------------------
Red 88 GT
Black 85 GT - For Sale - https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/026117.html

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2005 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:
Very nice work! They look a lot like the 3rd Gen Trans Am GTA tail lights similar to these:

You are so close, the ideal came from the 91-92 TransAm GTA - unfortunatly, these tail lights are just as rare as some 88 parts are since they were only used for the 2 years:

Anyways, thanks for the all the kind words

Also, to answer the above questions
- the mask is made out of a UV resistant high grade vinyal.
- the inserts are 'painted' lens from the Cavalier currently siliconed into the rear outer lens
- not sure if I will produce them to sell as good rear lenes are not that easy to come by around where I live, however the internal mask and complete instructions on what I did may be are possible.

And now for an update, sorry no pictures of them in the car, I may go out later today and take some now that the camera battery is charged, but ran into a couple of slight problems:

1) the colored lens do not completely cover the entire lens the way I would like them to (they are about 1mm too small in one spot). This is due to the clear lens had to be trimmed a bit to follow the contour of the outer lens as it is not straight but has a slight curve.

2) looks like the rear reflector needs the internal lens to add some support to the outer frame - not too big of a deal however, but I am picky

Looks like I will have to make another trip to the scrap yards and located some amber lens a bit bigger. I will then cut up the original internal lens and add in the amber and a new red section to the original red lens frame. This should add the needed support and should eliminate my problem with the little gap that is present.

Not sure I am keen on the 'Pontiac' part as well since my rear bumper has the 'Pontiac' molded into it, so I will need to eliminate one of them. I also just noticed that my inital set the lettering is a fair bit taller than in my original photoshopped picture. I will have to wait a couple of weeks however for my buddy gets back from holidays to cut out a fresh mask.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 06-29-2005).]

FieroBUZZ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2005 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBUZZSend a Private Message to FieroBUZZDirect Link to This Post
As the tails do not have a built in reflector, you might just buy a sheet of red/or amber plexi or plastic. You can shape it with heat over a wood form as desired. Then you can drop the yard search for clear lenses and the painting of them, as I'll bet the red will fade very rapidly.

Nice design and great work.! The masks would be a good seller. Maybe even just a downloadable image that can be cut at a local signmaker.

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2005 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroBUZZ:

As the tails do not have a built in reflector, you might just buy a sheet of red/or amber plexi or plastic. You can shape it with heat over a wood form as desired. Then you can drop the yard search for clear lenses and the painting of them, as I'll bet the red will fade very rapidly.

Nice design and great work.! The masks would be a good seller. Maybe even just a downloadable image that can be cut at a local signmaker.

Original ideal was to use colored acrylic, red wasn't a problem, but getting some amber was - painting was the last resort without spending a fortune. I would have to buy a whole 4x8 sheet at a few hundred dollars just so I could get my 2 little 4"x5" pieces from The other ideal is to find a set of amber lenes big enough and flat that will fit. Red is not a problem, but I have a ideal on which car to look for now for the amber.

I thought about making the image downloadable, but it took me a long time to make it up (many revisions) and clean it up for cutting - sorry - but maybe for a few 1000 plus

anyways, back onto the pictures that I promised:

before:

after (ack - Pontiac on top of Pontiac, why I didn't think of that before - doh):

4-ways on (turn out it was not too hard to take the picture during the flash):

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2005 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Mickey_Moose

7536 posts
Member since May 2001
close up of right turn:

brake lights (I still have to change out the one socket so I have both reds come on with the brake lights):

brake light close up (you can see the bit of a gap at the bottom center, only affects this lamp (on both sides)):

sorry I can't take a picture of the back up lights on by myself

once I do the modifications as meantioned above, I will post more pictures. As for making units available for sale, I 'might' sell these 'prototype' ones. I don't have a spare set of good lenes I could use, so I will see how easy it will be to peel the vinyal off, if not I might sell them as is

matt 84 2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2005 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for matt 84 2m4Send a Private Message to matt 84 2m4Direct Link to This Post
great now I need a new keyboardv
very nice work if you do make them put me down for 3.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2005 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

You are so close, the ideal came from the 91-92 TransAm GTA -

Those were the ones I was thinking of, I just couldn't find a pic of them, and I didn't remember what years.
Now all you need to do is put the GTA digital dash in to complete the theme.

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2005 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:
Those were the ones I was thinking of, I just couldn't find a pic of them, and I didn't remember what years.
Now all you need to do is put the GTA digital dash in to complete the theme.

...funny you meantioned that, that is another one of those things I started way back (I had a post on here as well that showed the pictures, but the pictures are not online anymore). And, I can't find my pictures of it on the hard drive right now . The only problem with this is the depth that the circuit boards need, so you will have to make a custom cover for the guage pod, but I have the displays all mounted to a front bezel all ready to go in. Just have no ambition to make a new cover for the rear of the pod

Chump

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2005 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChumpClick Here to visit Chump's HomePageSend a Private Message to ChumpDirect Link to This Post
"sorry I can't take a picture of the back up lights on by myself "

just turn the key on but do not start the car, apply the parking brake, place in reverse. Now you can take picture.

PFF
System Bot
zMacK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2005 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zMacKSend a Private Message to zMacKDirect Link to This Post
Those lookk really great!

How many hours do you estimate the project took?

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2005 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zMacK:

Those lookk really great!

How many hours do you estimate the project took?

What seemed to take the longest was creating the mask and getting it to the right shape to fit inside the lens and a pattern I was happy with - and then there was the time to peel off all those stupid little ovals after the vinyal was cut. I would guess about 10-12 hours on the mask (plus some time to quicky learn Corel Draw so I could create the vector image). Time to find a lens that would work and then to trim it to fit, paint the lens color/mount it inside, modify the rear reflector, cleaning of the outer lens/buff, etc. Modify the tail light wiring - so maybe a total of around 20 hours so far.

Now that I am going to modify the internal lens, you could probably add a few more hours to that.

Funny how the pattern looks like it slops in at the top in those pictures with them on the car. The pattern does run vertical (has to, so that it aligns up with the reflector correctly) - the amber pattern does however slop inward near the top outside edge due to the curve in the lens.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 06-30-2005).]

Saber49

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2005 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Saber49Send a Private Message to Saber49Direct Link to This Post
wow those look great. if i had a notchy id definatly be considering that. Keep up the good work.

------------------

Lilchief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2005 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefDirect Link to This Post
I think they really look nice, better than stock. You've done an excellent job. But if it was me, I would loose the PONTIAC in the middle and make them all red, with sequentual turn signals, just my two cents for what it's worth. I would be tempted to buy some if they made that way.

------------------
85 GT 3.4
Auto 3.08
14.9 @ 90 1.9 60"

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2005 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
Just a final update: wiring now all done, first picture shows brake lights, second picture has all the lights on

...I enjoy the look in the dark, now I just have to work on a new mask to remove the 'Pontiac' from them.

Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2005 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniDirect Link to This Post
I like that a lot! Great work!
Tinton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
User Banned

Report this Post07-06-2005 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TintonSend a Private Message to TintonDirect Link to This Post
Awwww I like the "Pontiac", didn't the 91-92 GTA have the pontiac too?

I've been looking for that picture for quite some time, that's a 1992 Trans Am. I think the taillights are perfect for a notchie, they really remind me of what you made and the 1990 prototype.

Incase that picture doesn't work here's the page that links to it: Here

[This message has been edited by Tinton (edited 07-06-2005).]

LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2005 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
That looks amazing... well done!!! VERY well done!!!

Would you be willing to sell just a pair of the vinyl masks without the 'PONTIAC' in the center? I'd really like to do these, and I already have some spare parts laying around to work with. Heck, I'd even be willing to go for just the computer-cut, unweeded, unmasked vinyl - I'd be able to do the weeding and masking myself if that would make things easier, less expensive and less work-intensive for you...

Please PM me, or e-mail me at the address in my signature...

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com
1988 Red Fiero Formula Convertible

[This message has been edited by LZeitgeist (edited 07-06-2005).]

I wear pants

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2005 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for I wear pantsSend a Private Message to I wear pantsDirect Link to This Post
Those are sweet . I definitly think you need to market those!!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock