Started on: 03-30-2007 03:31 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: hyperv6 on 03-30-2007 08:30 PM
4-mulaGT
From: Somewhere beetween raisin' hell... and saving grace. oh... and MN

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2007 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4-mulaGTSend a Private Message to 4-mulaGTDirect Link to This Post
Whats this all about?

*Edit* it looks like a 3.3L (60*) with a Moldex stroker crank, Carrillo rods, forged pistons, roller rockers, and 16-psi of BOOST!

[This message has been edited by 4-mulaGT (edited 03-30-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
4-mulaGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2007 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4-mulaGTSend a Private Message to 4-mulaGTDirect Link to This Post
OMG GM proto AWD TOO!!!!

why did they not make this production or something! this is so cool!

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2007 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
wow! need to find out what crank, rods & pistons they used
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2007 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
They did not make it as it would have cost more than anyone would pay for a Chevy.

Most of the AWD and turbo engines in the Berretta's were mules for the cancled GM 80 program.

The F body replacment was going FWD but there were engineering mules most Berrettas that has FWD and AWD for drive train testing. The AWD ended up in a GTO concept they did around 1990 and no one knows were the car is today. It was based on the canceld GM 80 and never had a shot at production.

They also had a few V8 Berrettas and Lumina's floating around.

Berretta V8 FWD

Berretta V8 FWD Note Caddy wheels

Berretta V6 AWD I believe this is the car in the other above post

34 [img]

Z34 V8 Berretta

BMW V12 Caprice built by GM

V8 SSEI RWD
Note the longer fenders and hood

GM has a lot of toys we never know about or see. All off these were not intended at production cars but drive train mules for future products most of which never saw production.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 03-30-2007).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2007 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

hyperv6

6048 posts
Member since Mar 2003
And here is one we have seen many times the twin engine X11. It was a drive train mule for a possible two engine Vette if the V8 was killed in the early 80's. As we know that never happened and I suspect some of what they learned here was used on the Fiero.

A lot of what is learned in one program is used in another when engineers move to the next job.

Twin engine X-11

Front engine

Rear engine

gauges

under side

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 03-30-2007).]

CTFieroGT87

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2007 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTFieroGT87Send a Private Message to CTFieroGT87Direct Link to This Post
I know that GM was able to push our 2.8/3.1/3.4 engines to incredible HP numbers with forced induction, but they contained many race-grade parts that only they could create or pay for. I know of a 3.4L 300hp engine thats running around here.

[This message has been edited by CTFieroGT87 (edited 03-30-2007).]

4-mulaGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2007 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4-mulaGTSend a Private Message to 4-mulaGTDirect Link to This Post
Its still cool that they made that much HP put of a 60* V6

It prob ran off of pump gas and had street manners!! (maybe)
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2007 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
Many of these engines are not always near street production trim. They were more about testing drive lines to a breaking point.

With that being the reason to build them they were very expensive and not something that would deliver 150,000 miles on regular gas.

Some of these engines would be for production but to make them live again would increase the cost of the parts needed to make them live. In many cases it is cheaper and easier to make a new engine family than to push one farther than it will take.

The 2.8 is some what a missing ling fromt he poor crude V6 engines of the 60's and 70's to todays reliablem, smooth, economical and powerful V6 engines they use today like the 3.6.

Because pf it's designe the 2.8 was only able to be pushed so far and new more modern and technically advance engines have sprung up. More money and better technology in designing these engines make a big differance.

Even the Small Bloack Chevy today is only a name as it share little to nothing of the engine of old. Even now the LS2 is going to be replaced with a LS3 the has a lot more ability to be advanced with what they have learned since the LS2.

When the 2.8 first came out very little had been done to advance engines since the 50's and early 60's. The 2.8 was the first step to the future.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock