Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Giving the Fiero Lasiks 300zx style (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Giving the Fiero Lasiks 300zx style by cornersonrails
Started on: 12-25-2007 10:11 PM
Replies: 111
Last post by: GODFATHER on 02-27-2009 11:45 PM
cornersonrails

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2007 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cornersonrailsClick Here to visit cornersonrails's HomePageSend a Private Message to cornersonrailsDirect Link to This Post
Well I first want to start out by saying if I would have used the search engine in Pennocks in the beginning, I would not have bought these.

I bought these on Ebay for $165.00. It took almost three weeks to get and they arrived damaged from shipping . The good news is that the glass was intact. Once I had recieved them since I dont really think ahead...lol, I decided to do a search on the Forum to see what I could find about installing them. Thats when I got scared because it doesnt seem anyone on here has done it. I only had seen a pic of a guys car in Germany I think. One pic just showing the tip of the front end. It looked cool though. I decided that since I had them that I would just go for it.

I have a lot of work to do ahead of me but just wanted to show what I have done today.

Thanks, Chris
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2007 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post
Looks great! Keep posting pictures!

------------------

MclarenF1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2007 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MclarenF1Click Here to visit MclarenF1's HomePageSend a Private Message to MclarenF1Direct Link to This Post
I always wanted to do those, but I got bigger fish to fry. Maybe if I run across a cheap set of them I'll try it. Best looking flushmounts ever in my opinion.

------------------

brandon87gt

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2007 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for brandon87gtSend a Private Message to brandon87gtDirect Link to This Post
Definately post some more pics as you progress and when you get done. I'm interested to see what the final product looks like. Looking good so far!
troyboy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2007 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyDirect Link to This Post
Looking good
Wii Bird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2007 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wii BirdClick Here to visit Wii Bird's HomePageSend a Private Message to Wii BirdDirect Link to This Post
Looks good, Can't wait to see them finished.
MordacP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2007 03:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MordacPSend a Private Message to MordacPDirect Link to This Post
Looks pretty awesome. That's good of you to go out on a limb to do this. + for you!
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2007 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Just make sure the hood doesnt break the glass,when closeing the hood.
Heres a couple of pics I came across,in my photo file.

[This message has been edited by James Bond 007 (edited 12-26-2007).]

vortecfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2007 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vortecfieroClick Here to visit vortecfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to vortecfieroDirect Link to This Post
looking good

------------------

87 Fiero GT 5sp with Vortec L35 4300 Turbocharged V6
Bully Stage 2 clutch
Syclone intake manifold and engine management with Moates adapter and chip burner
Air/water intercooler and Devil's Own progressive water/alky injection
50lb injectors, 3 bar map sensor, Walboro fuel pump and Jabasco Intercooler pump
LM1 wideband on custom manifolds and 3" stainless exhaust system
T31/T04B S4 turbo with a Super T61 in the box
S10 caliper conversion.
Murphy's Constant Matter will be damaged in direct proportion to its value
Murphy's Law of Thermodynamics Things get worse under pressure.
Arthur C. Clarke "Any significantly advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2007 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post
Chris!

Looks really good so far! I guess that sawzall has come in handy after all!! Tee heee heee
cornersonrails

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2007 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cornersonrailsClick Here to visit cornersonrails's HomePageSend a Private Message to cornersonrailsDirect Link to This Post
I wanted to put a couple of pics.

All you lose is two mounts for the front clip on each end. You still have the far end ones to use and the three in the center.
I still need to cut a little bit more of the front clip. I just want to be extra careful doing that. Thanks, Chris

[This message has been edited by cornersonrails (edited 12-30-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2007 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post

Very nice man! Good job, looks fantastic!!

(edited to fix image)

[This message has been edited by HC (edited 12-30-2007).]

kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2007 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
I look forward to seeing this finished, im kind of torn between doing a low profile popup set, or something like this. Those are the nicest looking flush mounted lights ive seen, they seem to fit in perfectly.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 259
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2007 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Looking very good! I can not wait to see it finished.
blkcofy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2007 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blkcofySend a Private Message to blkcofyDirect Link to This Post

I'd ask that you please take plenty of pictures and notes. This will definitely be a path many (including myself) will follow! The biggest challenge for us will be to try to fashion after the fabricated mounts you are doing. I bet if you were able to craft templates of what to cut out of the hood and clip, as well as detailed instructions, folks would pay you for it as a way to make their process easier, and take advantage of what you're learning.
RickN

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2008 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post
That's going to be a nice shape for the Fiero. Keep the pics coming!

------------------
RickN
White 88GT 5spd
White 85GT Auto
White 99 F250SD 7.3PSD 6spd
1956 Ford 860 w/ Freeman Loader

cornersonrails

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2008 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cornersonrailsClick Here to visit cornersonrails's HomePageSend a Private Message to cornersonrailsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blkcofy:

I'd ask that you please take plenty of pictures and notes. This will definitely be a path many (including myself) will follow! The biggest challenge for us will be to try to fashion after the fabricated mounts you are doing. I bet if you were able to craft templates of what to cut out of the hood and clip, as well as detailed instructions, folks would pay you for it as a way to make their process easier, and take advantage of what you're learning.

Pictures pictures and more pictures. That I can do, but I would never think about collecting money on doing this project. I am no expert and I am sure many other people can do what I am doing a lot better. I will be more than willing to help people get these lights in their cars. I do appreciate all the feedback and compliments from everyone. Thanks. o.k., Today I wanted to get the hood on to see what kind of problems I would have and this is what I found.

The problem, and what I did...

I lose the one mount but have an idea on how to remount the hood using as much of the original mount as possible.

I put the headlight doors back on and my plan will be to use the fiberglass to fill the hole.

What its kind of going to look like...

one more....

The hood is only sitting there and is not mounted yet. Still have more work to do before getting it back on. It would be a crazy idea to have another set of lights pop up still. Thanks, Chris

ALLTRBO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2008 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
WOW. That looks MUCH better than I would have thought if I hadn't seen it.

Unlike most headlight conversions with stock bodies, those follow the body lines nicely! (Well, almost) The gap between the light and fender could be smoothed out (attached) on the fender side, that would seal it up perfectly.

Here's a . Keep it up.

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 01-01-2008).]

RickN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2008 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post
Does the bottom panel of the headlight fixture set level after mounting on the car?
cornersonrails

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2008 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cornersonrailsClick Here to visit cornersonrails's HomePageSend a Private Message to cornersonrailsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RickN:

Does the bottom panel of the headlight fixture set level after mounting on the car?

The headlight is level.

It sits on this piece.

I hope thats what you were asking. Thanks, Chris
RickN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2008 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, thanks! It looked like the lense is fitting up nice and flush with the contour of the Fiero. I just wanted to make sure that the bottom of the fixture was level too so that it wouldn't be blocking the light once the lenses are properly aimed. It's pretty amazing that the slope of the Fiero and the 300Z hoods are so similar.
PFF
System Bot
bryinga

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2008 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bryingaSend a Private Message to bryingaDirect Link to This Post
Looks good!
88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2008 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTDirect Link to This Post
awesome thread!
RUNDLC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2008 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCDirect Link to This Post
Hey great work, I think those "z" lights are gonna be very cool looking in the fiero. It amazes me what you PFF guys can do to one of these little cars.

Keep the pics comin

RUNDLC
SAFASTRO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2008 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SAFASTROClick Here to visit SAFASTRO's HomePageSend a Private Message to SAFASTRODirect Link to This Post
WOW......great thread!
I've been contemplating which lights to use on my build......I can look out my office window, and see a 300z front clip that has been sitting in the autobody shop's parking lot ever since I can remember......I may be paying them a visit now.
Keep the pics coming......any chance at standing back a little further, and taking a front angle shot??
Thanks

------------------
Order your Official Pennock's Forum decals in this thread. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/040445.html

2" Choptop
Shortened Front Bumper
Shortened Rear Bumper
10" Stretch
Dubs
350 V8 Conversion

Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2008 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaDirect Link to This Post
It should look alot like this yellow one. Not sure if this was photoshopped but it looks alright.

[This message has been edited by Amida (edited 01-02-2008).]

cornersonrails

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2008 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cornersonrailsClick Here to visit cornersonrails's HomePageSend a Private Message to cornersonrailsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Amida:

It should look alot like this yellow one. Not sure if this was photoshopped but it looks alright.

I had seen that in a archived thread and I am remember them saying it was photoshopped. Still looks good though.

Originally posted by SAFASTRO:

WOW......great thread!
I've been contemplating which lights to use on my build......I can look out my office window, and see a 300z front clip that has been sitting in the autobody shop's parking lot ever since I can remember......I may be paying them a visit now.
Keep the pics coming......any chance at standing back a little further, and taking a front angle shot??
Thanks

Here are a few pics of the front end

another....

This one I have the lights on and it looks like the small round ones are on but they are'nt. I havent put power to those yet.

Thanks, Chris
HI-TECH

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 123
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2008 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HI-TECHClick Here to visit HI-TECH's HomePageSend a Private Message to HI-TECHDirect Link to This Post
humm someone likes mid engine cars lol.. i spy a 2nd gen mr2 in the pics....
cornersonrails

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2008 05:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cornersonrailsClick Here to visit cornersonrails's HomePageSend a Private Message to cornersonrailsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HI-TECH:

humm someone likes mid engine cars lol.. i spy a 2nd gen mr2 in the pics....

..lol. Thats my wifes car. I tell her a house that stands divided will not stand...lol. We will have a show down one day
SAFASTRO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2008 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SAFASTROClick Here to visit SAFASTRO's HomePageSend a Private Message to SAFASTRODirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the pics.......looks cool!!
gt7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2008 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gt7Send a Private Message to gt7Direct Link to This Post
cornersonrails
I really like that last pic you posted. Its a little more mod than I want to do, but it looks great.

------------------
Tom
Suffolk, Va
87 Gt 2.8-5spd
87 Gt 350-5spd
88 T-top coupe 2.5-5spd

PFF
System Bot
Unsafe At Any Speed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 315
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2008 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Unsafe At Any SpeedSend a Private Message to Unsafe At Any SpeedDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Amida:

Yeah it's a PS. That's FLASHY's car.
HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2008 03:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post
Wow, they fit the car almost perfectly! Looks pretty cool. A + for you sir.
cornersonrails

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2008 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cornersonrailsClick Here to visit cornersonrails's HomePageSend a Private Message to cornersonrailsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HC:

Wow, they fit the car almost perfectly! Looks pretty cool. A + for you sir.

Thanks HC ...o.k. I wanted show everyone what I have done with remounting the hood. You have to cut to just above the second stud bolt in order to get these lights in. As stated and shown above in one of my other posts you have to cut the one mounting position out on the hood in order for the hood to close. So recap.....1 stud left which is the bottom and you have one position left on the hood to bolt to which is the top position when the hood is on. This is what I did to remount the hood.

This is a closer look of the mount to the hood. You have to have two spacers. The one is inside the fiberglass and cant be seen but you need this to butt up to the metal bracket inside. Without this spacer the other spacer would just smash through the fiberglass and serve no real function. I also drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the bracket. Then I took a piece of threaded rod and slid it through the fiberglass. This gave me the other mount that I needed.

another picture...

the other side...

The hood is now on. I am happy with how stable it is. It opens and closes just like it should.

I wanted to add that if you look at the way the guy did this car I can tell you that he did not have mess with any of the mounting for the hood. He has moved the headlights out into the fender areas to avoid the problems I just faced. Personally though I like the headlights in more than his.

Thanks, Chris

[This message has been edited by cornersonrails (edited 01-06-2008).]

Justin_J

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2008 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Justin_JClick Here to visit Justin_J's HomePageSend a Private Message to Justin_JDirect Link to This Post
[ Personally though I like the headlights in more than his.

[/QUOTE]

I agree, yours will look much nicer. already does.
blkcofy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blkcofySend a Private Message to blkcofyDirect Link to This Post
cool factor bump!
Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
How did you go about making templates to cut into the top of the front bumper cover? I think is where ill mess up, cutting it right the first time. After its cut i think ill put a rubber trim, or molding on the edge to clean it up nice.
TIA
cornersonrails

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cornersonrailsClick Here to visit cornersonrails's HomePageSend a Private Message to cornersonrailsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chris Hodson:

How did you go about making templates to cut into the top of the front bumper cover? I think is where ill mess up, cutting it right the first time. After its cut i think ill put a rubber trim, or molding on the edge to clean it up nice.
TIA

After getting the 1st light in where I wanted it, I just lifted the front bumper over the light and got it back in position with the car and then took a marker and drew it out. Always take way less to start because you can never go back. I then used a Dremel with a cutting wheel on it. I would say a Dremel is a must have for this project.

Thanks, Chris
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Awesome work Corners !

Going to look really good with the choptop. If you go back to the archived threads you will see i suggested and wanted these headllights a long time ago, but most feedback i got was that they were too big or would not work.

Guess you showed them, they look fantastic !
gt7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gt7Send a Private Message to gt7Direct Link to This Post
Looks sharp !!!
Creative ideas and real nice work.

------------------
Tom
Suffolk, Va
87 Gt 2.8-5spd
87 Gt 350-5spd
88 T-top coupe 2.5-5spd

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)