Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Giving the Fiero Lasiks 300zx style (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Giving the Fiero Lasiks 300zx style by cornersonrails
Started on: 12-25-2007 10:11 PM
Replies: 111
Last post by: GODFATHER on 02-27-2009 11:45 PM
Bnemo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2008 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BnemoSend a Private Message to BnemoDirect Link to This Post
Corners....I have a question about your lights. Did you mount those in your car without the stock mounting bracket?
IP: Logged
Bnemo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2008 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BnemoSend a Private Message to BnemoDirect Link to This Post
bump
DCRFiero1

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2008 05:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DCRFiero1Send a Private Message to DCRFiero1Direct Link to This Post
Time for another bump, I want to see more.

------------------
CArz I own:
'85 Fiero GT
'86 Monte Carlo SS
'87 Fiero GT

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"Fear disturbs your concentration." - Sabine Schmitz

The_Ikon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2008 03:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The_IkonClick Here to visit The_Ikon's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_IkonDirect Link to This Post
Nice mod!
cornersonrails

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2009 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cornersonrailsClick Here to visit cornersonrails's HomePageSend a Private Message to cornersonrailsDirect Link to This Post
Let the Fiberglassing begin

Thanks, Chris
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2009 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
very very nice dude ill admit it i took the easy way out i got munson headlights comming in the mail but i already delt with frame work so never again nice job.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2009 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

All right !

Can't wait to see this one finished !

Cornersonrails check your PM.
American Exotic

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2009 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for American ExoticSend a Private Message to American ExoticDirect Link to This Post
Hi cornersonrails, the car looks awsome and I hope to see you and your car at some local car shows. I'm sort of your next door neighbor. Spring is not to far away!
fieroboom

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2009 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboomClick Here to visit fieroboom's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroboomDirect Link to This Post
I hate every flush-mount headlight setup I've ever seen on the Fiero.

...until now. I can't believe how much that single modification modernizes the car, and the way you've done it makes it look as if it was manufactured that way. That's my biggest gripe about all the other ones I've seen - to me they look "shoved in". Wow. Excellent job!

Originally posted by Patrick:

Is the modified LOWER headlight height legal in all fifty states (and ten provinces)? Seems to me I recall reading that the reason for having pop-up headlights on the Fiero (and other low-slung cars) was to facilitate having the headlights at the proper/legal height when they were actually being used.

It's difficult to find a law providing a single number for all the states, however, I did find some writeups on transportation engineering, and one of the powerpoints describes the goals of auto manufacturers regarding headlights:

For the sight distance required to provide adequate SSD, current AASHTO design standards use the following specifications:

H (headlight height) = 2.0 ft (600 mm)

(headlight angle) = 1°

That being the case, one would assume that around 24" should be your goal, but if you're worried about it, check with your local police dept. Don't take the car and show them, just go over to the station, tell them you're building a custom car, and would like to know the state's law on minimum headlamp height.
-Paul

------------------
Journal of a concept: http://southeastfieros.com >>> Build Thread >>> Parts thread (for project funding)

cornersonrails

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2009 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cornersonrailsClick Here to visit cornersonrails's HomePageSend a Private Message to cornersonrailsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by American Exotic:

Hi cornersonrails, the car looks awsome and I hope to see you and your car at some local car shows. I'm sort of your next door neighbor. Spring is not to far away!

Yea that would be great. We will definately have to meet up. Chris

Originally posted by fieroboom:

check with your local police dept. Don't take the car and show them, just go over to the station, tell them you're building a custom car, and would like to know the state's law on minimum headlamp height.
-Paul

I know a local police officer and asked him about it. He said he checked into it with others in his department and none of the officers new anything about it. I would say I am fine. The Nissan they came out of sat really low also. So do the Corvettes. Great investigative work though Paul I probably should have researched it before I started...lol.
fieroboom

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2009 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboomClick Here to visit fieroboom's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroboomDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cornersonrails:

I probably should have researched it before I started...lol.

Yeah right... If we all did that, half of us wouldn't have any of the mods we do...
It's the whole "better to ask forgiveness than permission" thing... Cuz even after a ton of work, being told it's illegal just means you get to do more customization!
PFF
System Bot
HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2009 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post
Is this how its gonna look?

What color are you thinking?
cornersonrails

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2009 06:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cornersonrailsClick Here to visit cornersonrails's HomePageSend a Private Message to cornersonrailsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HC:

Is this how its gonna look?

What color are you thinking?

Not quite. It looks like you have no seams going on. The front clip wont be glassed in. Although its still and issue for me on how it lines up. I was thinking Silver but now it might be a Blue mabye. Here are a couple more glassing pics.

Thanks, Chris

AusFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 327
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2009 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
Have you thought about going the extra mile and making new body lines on the hood. The lights still look a little tacked on because the body line behind them starts from a 1/3 of the way in on the light. Would look factory if you moved both hood lnes in and had them running from the edges of the lights.

Kinda like this example below.

[This message has been edited by AusFiero (edited 02-16-2009).]

HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 03:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post
Looking good!
eze does it

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for eze does itSend a Private Message to eze does itDirect Link to This Post
Looks good nice job. thanks for posting up pictures of your work.
GODFATHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHERDirect Link to This Post
Looking good Chris. I got to get mt butt in gear and get you the pics of my frt hood hinge setup.
cornersonrails

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cornersonrailsClick Here to visit cornersonrails's HomePageSend a Private Message to cornersonrailsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AusFiero:

Have you thought about going the extra mile and making new body lines on the hood. The lights still look a little tacked on because the body line behind them starts from a 1/3 of the way in on the light. Would look factory if you moved both hood lnes in and had them running from the edges of the lights.

Kinda like this example below.

I think your right. It does look slightly out of place. I didnt realize how bad until your photoshop. I will have to seriously consider that one before paint. Why did you have to point that out to me...lol.

Originally posted by GODFATHER:

Looking good Chris. I got to get mt butt in gear and get you the pics of my frt hood hinge setup.

I want pics. I must know how you did it.

One new pic of left side almost finished.

Thanks, Chris
GODFATHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHERDirect Link to This Post
Here you go Chris. I took some inch and a 1/2 angle iron and drilled holes in it where the stock hinges would bolt on and then welded some nuts on the one side so I could bolt the hinges to it. Then I riveted and epoxyed the angle iron to the hood and fiberglassed it in place. I took the same angle iron and ran it across the nose from one framerail to another. I then ran some flat plate to this piece so I could bolt the bottom of the hinge to it. The hood is as stable as it was when it was stock. I still have some cleaning up to do. Hope this helps.

Joe

[This message has been edited by GODFATHER (edited 02-18-2009).]

cornersonrails

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2009 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cornersonrailsClick Here to visit cornersonrails's HomePageSend a Private Message to cornersonrailsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GODFATHER:

Here you go Chris. I took some inch and a 1/2 angle iron and drilled holes in it where the stock hinges would bolt on and then welded some nuts on the one side so I could bolt the hinges to it. Then I riveted and epoxyed the angle iron to the hood and fiberglassed it in place. I took the same angle iron and ran it across the nose from one framerail to another. I then ran some flat plate to this piece so I could bolt the bottom of the hinge to it. The hood is as stable as it was when it was stock. I still have some cleaning up to do. Hope this helps.

Joe

I really like how you did yours. I bet their could be a couple more ways of doing it. When you rip it all out and stair at it for a bunch of hours who knows what one can come up with.
o.k. Who's Next

Here are a couple more pics of progress. After looking at the hood lines for a while. I am kind of liking them just the way they are. I think the lights look like they belong to me. The whole thing is growing on me more and more.

Opinions please....Thanks, Chris

Fiero_Adam

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2009 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_AdamSend a Private Message to Fiero_AdamDirect Link to This Post
Looks good! Are you going to do something different with the stock turn signals? How about the rest of the fascia?

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2009 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownDirect Link to This Post
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/045884.html
I suggest this, to really set it off.
GODFATHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2009 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHERDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cornersonrails:

I really like how you did yours. I bet their could be a couple more ways of doing it. When you rip it all out and stair at it for a bunch of hours who knows what one can come up with.
o.k. Who's Next

Looks good Chris. I kept going back and looking at it for a couple of days , then I just started hacking away.

Joe

cornersonrails

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2009 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cornersonrailsClick Here to visit cornersonrails's HomePageSend a Private Message to cornersonrailsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero_Adam:

Looks good! Are you going to do something different with the stock turn signals? How about the rest of the fascia?

The front fascia I wasn't planning on doing anything with but the turn signals :thinking: Now their is a thought. Any sugestions on what lamps I could fit in their? I also was thinking of getting that hood extractor from the post above but decided not to.
HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2009 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post
You need some of these and/or the clear cover for them.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2009 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Opinions please....Thanks, Chris

IMO since the hood lines are cut-off near the headlamps, maybe this style of hood scoop might add some needed "pop"?

Do a photoshop using this style scoop for visuals.

HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2009 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post
cornersonrails

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2009 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cornersonrailsClick Here to visit cornersonrails's HomePageSend a Private Message to cornersonrailsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HC:

Thanks for the photoshop HC
I am not sure about the scoop though. When I first saw it I was like kick butt, but I still am unsure. I dont plan on painting the car this year I dont think. I still have some time to think about what I want to do. Thanks, Chris
topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2009 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post

The front fascia I wasn't planning on doing anything with but the turn signals :thinking: Now their is a thought. Any sugestions on what lamps I could fit in their? I also was thinking of getting that hood extractor from the post above but decided not to.

As far as turn signals/ parklights... I'd look for a set of JDM FD RX7 lamps. Always thought they would look great on a Fiero. They are a bit bigger than the Fiero lamps, but should look good with the 300zx lamps.

A quick pic from ebay

[This message has been edited by topher_time (edited 02-24-2009).]

cornersonrails

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2009 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cornersonrailsClick Here to visit cornersonrails's HomePageSend a Private Message to cornersonrailsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by topher_time:

As far as turn signals/ parklights... I'd look for a set of JDM FD RX7 lamps. Always thought they would look great on a Fiero. They are a bit bigger than the Fiero lamps, but should look good with the 300zx lamps.

A quick pic from ebay

Thanks Topher Time
I found a website that has them . They are selling for $250.00. I am going to try and keep looking for a cheaper set. I wonder what they look like in person. I would like to see them up close. The car definatley needs something. O.k. The fiberglass work on the headlights is now finished

Now how about a L.E.D. third break light....

Thanks, Chris
cornersonrails

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2009 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cornersonrailsClick Here to visit cornersonrails's HomePageSend a Private Message to cornersonrailsDirect Link to This Post
Hello my fellow Fiero Junkies
Well I started this thread with the title, "Giving the Fiero Lasiks 300zx style"....I knew not what I was getting into but wanted to document to all what I was doing, the problems that I was facing, and what I had done to resolve the issues. This thread was intended for those who wanted to add these lights in there cars to be able to see what kind of work was involved in doing so. I had never claimed to be a professional and had stated that others can do what I am doing probably a lot better. The GodFather has shown that their is more than one way to do it. I feel that I have achieved this goal and have seen it through from beginning to end and I am satisfied with the end result. I want to thank everyone who has given me inspiration and words of incouragment along the way. I titled the thread, Giving the Fiero Lasiks 300zx style and it has been done. This thread has run out of string....lol. Thanks to everyone, Chris
PFF
System Bot
GODFATHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2009 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHERDirect Link to This Post
Hey Chris, how about a pic at night with the lights on? Now that its done I'm just wondering how good it looks.

Thanks
Joe
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock