gas tank expansion tank by GTCONVERSION
Started on: 03-18-2009 05:59 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: GTCONVERSION on 03-21-2009 05:00 PM
GTCONVERSION

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2009 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTCONVERSIONSend a Private Message to GTCONVERSIONDirect Link to This Post
I have done a v8 conversion on this 87 gt and have some small things to finish.I need to know more about the expansion tank i did not even know it was thier till i read a thread about someone's tank mod they did to ge more fuel in the tank.
It was not hooked up when i got the car so i did not know about it,I have ran the hoses while the tank was down it has the normal fill line and vent line.I did not hook up what i now know is the expansion tank line but i do not know what the tank goes to and if i really need it.I dont plan on filling up past on click,i would think the vent line would be plenty for the tank to vent off of or am i wrong?This is not a everyday driver just a toy.The main thing is i want to be safe and not burn the car up if im wrong.The expansion tank line is currently plugged off at the tank.Please give me some info and routing of the line and where they go.
Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ca420

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2009 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ca420Send a Private Message to ca420Direct Link to This Post
I just put mine back in after painting it yesterday. There should have been a hard line that went along the firewall to the evap can if you have not removed it. On my car it is the big line at the evap can.

The line that is not connected is from the gas tank and the link that is connected goes to the evap can.

BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2009 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIERODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTCONVERSION:

Looking Good!!

thefierofarm.com

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2009 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thefierofarm.comClick Here to visit thefierofarm.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to thefierofarm.comDirect Link to This Post
The small rubber line from the tank should poke through the same whole as the wires and then go east. I mean to the passenger side side. It then hooks to a hard metal line that runs under the battery tray and ends up where the photo above shows. I would recomend hooking it up to allow for temp changes and expansion.

------------------
That Todd guy
President of the Kansas City Fiero Owners Group

The Fiero Farm is not officially open but if you need parts, Email me at todd@thefierofarm.com
www.thefierofarm.com
Bates City, MO

GTCONVERSION

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2009 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTCONVERSIONSend a Private Message to GTCONVERSIONDirect Link to This Post
So i need to go from the gas tank to the expansion tank,Then from the expansion tank to the vap can correct?
I have no vap can now but i see the fiero store sells them,There where no hard lines on the car but im sure some can be made up

you can see no fuel lines so everything was made new
WHich line on the sending unit goes to the expansion tank?

Also are the vap cans all the same or was this diffrent becouse of the exp tank?
Daniel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2009 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanielClick Here to visit Daniel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanielDirect Link to This Post
I believe all evap cans in the fieros are the same, I put mine under the expansion tank to give more airflow, and room for the air can (80's cavalier ) https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/096287.html

Sorry, no pics of the evap can move. I used brake lines for routing the vacuum lines to the evap can.

------------------
1988 Fiero GT

ca420

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2009 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ca420Send a Private Message to ca420Direct Link to This Post
I will get a picture of the hard line tomorrow since everything is out of my car...unless someone beats me to it. I will also look at the sending unit and see what goes where for you.
GTCONVERSION

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2009 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTCONVERSIONSend a Private Message to GTCONVERSIONDirect Link to This Post
Thanks,It looks like i will need to redo the fuel system one more time .The car runs great and i have no problems but i have not put it on the road at this point. I have been looking into this some and it looks like i made a wrong turn on the fuel system. I do not have a fuel return line hooked up . I had plugged it off at the tank not knowing it will kill the pump at some point.So i will drop the tank and rework all this with a reg w/return.Also i think i vented what should be the expansion tank line from the fuel tank. I think im going to replace the sending unit also becouse my fuel gauge is not working correct and its a new digital.I think with all the money i have in this car i want everything to be done correct.

Here you can see one line into the reg and one out with no return.

[This message has been edited by GTCONVERSION (edited 03-20-2009).]

ca420

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2009 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ca420Send a Private Message to ca420Direct Link to This Post
ok here are the pics I took today.

First one is the evap hard line where the evap can would be mounted, this one comes from the expansion tank. It's the big tube circled.

The next shot is where the line snakes along the firewall from the expansion tank to the evap can (marked with red line) The Blue line comes from the sending unit to the expansion tank.

Here is my old sending unit. The green line is the fuel line to the engine, red to expansion tank, and blue the return fule line. (to the best of my knowledge anyway)

Here is the top with the same color code

Hope this helps, I am fairly new to Fieros and they are a far cry from my 68 Camaro but I like different.

GTCONVERSION

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2009 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTCONVERSIONSend a Private Message to GTCONVERSIONDirect Link to This Post
Thanks,One big mistake i see i made is i vented the expansion tank line from the gas tank like a normal car vent would be.I guess that could be a problem i fuel ever came out on a hot day
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2009 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTCONVERSION:

Sorry to hack your thread, but what's the name of the chrome air intake connector brands? Spector?

------------------

"I drive modified Fieros- anything less would be uncivilized."

PFF
System Bot
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2009 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:
Sorry to hack your thread, but what's the name of the chrome air intake connector brands? Spector?

Spectre. Here is their site...
http://www.spectreperformance.com/#HOME
GTCONVERSION

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2009 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTCONVERSIONSend a Private Message to GTCONVERSIONDirect Link to This Post
yes,they where a littel on the high side but i had some hood air cleaner problems so this was the best looking way to go.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock