Fiero Key Codes by sniper168
Started on: 05-17-2010 11:32 AM
Replies: 10
Last post by: sniper168 on 06-02-2010 08:39 PM
sniper168

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2010 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sniper168Send a Private Message to sniper168Direct Link to This Post
I searched the forums and found a similar topic to key codes discussed earlier, but not quite what I am looking for. Fiero Keys have a 1 digit letter code stamped on them; i.e. A, E, J, etc. I would like to know if anyone out there has a way to figure out which letter codes belong to what year cars. That is of course if they go by different years. For all I know the A code could be for all GT models, or only GT models from '86 - '87.
The point is, I am wondering what the system for coding the keys is: A = 1985, E = 1986, etc.
I doubt it's that straight forward, but there almost HAS to be some sort of method to GM's madness.
Does anyone know???
Thanks in advance.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2010 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
Well maybe someone will create a data base (if there is a pattern)?

I can tell you that my 88 GT uses C for the ignition and D for the door locks (original keys), but the other car has new locks/ign in it so I can not comment on what the orignals were.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2010 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
On my 84, the ignition key has an A, and the door key has a B. They aren't the original keys, but they were cut by a professional locksmith from the original key codes. The actual key codes are in a format 00X0.

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

Mike Murphy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2010 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MurphySend a Private Message to Mike MurphyDirect Link to This Post
The key codes used to cut the proper key from the blanks are on the original dealer invoice of the car. Yes the blanks are designated as A, B, D etc. Those fit certain lock assemblys for specific cars and years.
Dirty Harry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2010 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dirty HarrySend a Private Message to Dirty HarryDirect Link to This Post
I can answer your question tomorrow when I get to work and access my key code books. The letter has nothing to do with models. All lines of a brand (Chevy, Pontiac, etc) had the same letter for a year. One letter for the ignition and one for the door/trunk. I still have a good supply of key blanks that were used thru the 70s, 80s & 90s. I'll post the breakdown of codes by year for the Fiero & can cut keys for you if you have the correct codes for your car. I'm curious, why do you want to know such an odd thing?

One more thought. The key codes are a combination of numbers and a letter. The letter you are referring to however, denotes the type of keyblank which usually changed yearly. Different years had different grooves cut on the sides of the blank. To add to the confusion, each keyblank manufacturer used different systems for coding their keys. My 88 Formula ignition key is a 'C' blank (GM speak) but Curtis (major blank supplier) calls it a B50 blank. More info tomorrow. Harry

------------------
87 GT Maroon 3800SC & White Formula

Dirty Harry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2010 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dirty HarrySend a Private Message to Dirty HarryDirect Link to This Post

Dirty Harry

347 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Couldn't get columns to work so having to list this in sentence order.

84 Fieros used Ign key blank B-48 or 'A' with code series 00V0 to 99V9 or 00W0 to 99W9. Door/trunk blank B-49 or 'B' with code series 00X0 to 99X9 or 00Y0 to 99Y9.

85 Ign blank B-48 or 'A' with code series 0A00 to 9A99 or 0B00 to 9B99, door key B-49 or 'B' w/ codes 0C00 to 9C99 or 0D00 to 9D99.

86 Ign blank B-48 or 'A' with code series 0V00 to 9V99 or 0W00 to 9W99, door key B-49 or 'B' w/codes 0X00 to 9X99 or 0Y00 to 9Y99.

87 & 88 Ign B-50 or 'c' with code series 00N0 to 99N9 or 00P0 to 99P9, door key B-51 or 'D' w/codes 00S0 to 99S9 or 00U0 to 99U9.

Hope this answers your question. Still curious what you want this for.

[This message has been edited by Dirty Harry (edited 05-19-2010).]

sniper168

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sniper168Send a Private Message to sniper168Direct Link to This Post
Dirty Harry,
Thanks for the info. But the 'E' code is missing from your line up and I have a lot of customers with that letter code. I make lambo replica keys for kit car owners and all I need from them is the year, make, model with letter code in order to buy the correct key blank. But some times, the customer only knows the year, make and model of the ignition system that was used and has never owned an oem key that had the original letter code stamped onto it.
Therefore, it would be nice if a customer tells me that they have an '84 Fiero ignition but an unknown letter code stamped on the key.
So what about the 'E' Code? I have more people with that code than any other.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Sniper
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Maybe people who have had their ignition lock cylinder replaced at some point with a later aftermarket one?
sniper168

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sniper168Send a Private Message to sniper168Direct Link to This Post
hummm. I can't say that makes a lot of sense, but then again, it's not impossible either. Still, any other ideas?
EGSalms

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EGSalmsSend a Private Message to EGSalmsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sniper168:

I searched the forums and found a similar topic to key codes discussed earlier, but not quite what I am looking for. Fiero Keys have a 1 digit letter code stamped on them; i.e. A, E, J, etc. I would like to know if anyone out there has a way to figure out which letter codes belong to what year cars. That is of course if they go by different years. For all I know the A code could be for all GT models, or only GT models from '86 - '87.
The point is, I am wondering what the system for coding the keys is: A = 1985, E = 1986, etc.
I doubt it's that straight forward, but there almost HAS to be some sort of method to GM's madness.
Does anyone know???
Thanks in advance.

There IS a method to this madness you describe.

As a key collector from a young age, let me just put my 2 cents in about these keys.

General Motors vehicles from had Briggs and Stratton (or later Strattec) locks as the keying systems.

The Octagonal headed Briggs (used from the 1930's to 1966's) "Primary" key was coded "B10" by most key companies and the "spade-head" "Secondary" key was "B11"

Then GM started using a new keying system still with Briggs, using a square head and a round head key design. They started using the "A" and "B" blanks in 1967, then for the 1968 year, they used the "C" and "D" blanks, 69 - "E" and "H", 70 - "J" and "K" Then for the 1971 year, they started the chain again with the "A" and "B" blanks. Then continuing the rotation of the blanks until 1982 was the last year that they used the rotation, and the last year that they used the "J" and "K" blanks. 1983's production line began again with the "A" and "B" blanks and these blanks were used for the 1983-1986 production years, the "C" and "D" from 1987-1990, and the "E" and "H" was used from 1991-2003, and I don't know why they used this one for so long. These years are approximate, and some blanks were used briefly in other years.

GM/Briggs keys usually used a consecutive alphabetical code (A-B, C-D, E-H, J-K), using the alphabetically first (square head) blank as the primary (ignition) key and the second alphabetically (round head) blank as the secondary (doors, trunk, glovebox) key.

The "A" blank is known as "B48" or sometimes "B48A" meaning Briggs Style Number 48 also known as "A" for GM cars.

The "B" blank was usually paired with the "A" blank and was coded "B49" or "B49B" used from the years as the "A" Blank.

"C" blanks are coded "B50" or B50C
"D" Blanks are coded "B51" or "B51D"
"E" blanks were coded "B44" or "B44E" originally, but there are also some others out there, as they used a different styled head of the key in certain models of vehicles, but the blanks can be cut for a "B44" on these alternate heads.
"H" blanks were coded "B45" or "B45H", originally but like they "E" there are alternate heads with different codes.
"J" - "B46" or "B46J"
"K" - "B47" or "B47K"

The "A"/"B" and "C"/"D" are the only locks and keys that would be on a Fiero if they were never replaced with others.

I am not an expert on this, these are mostly just observations, though they codes of the keys and the years the blanks were used should be correct.

[This message has been edited by EGSalms (edited 05-26-2010).]

sniper168

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sniper168Send a Private Message to sniper168Direct Link to This Post
Well, if it's not accurate you sure made it sound good!
Thanks for such a detailed explanation. What you are saying makes sense, up to the part where you discussed the E code which began again in approx. '91. Except that you mention that some letter codes were 'used briefly' in other years I'm guessing out of sequence?????
This would explain why I have so many customers asking for the Lamborghini key in code E fiero ignition. The usual letters I get orders for are A and E.
Thanks again for all you help.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock