Started on: 08-15-2011 04:28 AM
Replies: 51
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 09-21-2011 11:30 AM
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleDirect Link to This Post
60 degree V6 is more compact. No custom flywheel needed. 2.8/3.1/3.4 is bolt-right-into a Fiero. 60 degree V6 doesn't have a balance shaft like it's bastardized V8 counterpart.

I don't have a turbo on my 2.8 Fiero, but I do have 30 lb/hr high impedance injectors, stock regulator, bank fired. It idles smoothly. No reason anyone should have trouble getting a turbo 2.8/3.1/3.4 to idle properly. Those needing more fuel flow rate at max power (while still maintaining control at low fuel flow rates) could switch to low-impedance injectors, and consider a RRFPR.

Ultimately, you'll be able to make more power with a 3800, but a 2.8 doesn't have to be a slouch. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/103956.html

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 08-16-2011).]

IP: Logged
scott0999

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for scott0999Send a Private Message to scott0999Direct Link to This Post
a kit is a good start, a kit that has been tested with Real tuning (and hopefully a knock sensor), would be more appealing I think

I can do all this stuff myself, I'm just saying for other people since this wasnt mentioned yet
project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by timgray:
Also look at previous sellers that have tried this, the last Design 1 turbo kit sold for $5000 for the basic kit and sold incredibly few simply because of a price that is higher than the selling price of 90% of all the fieros out there.

I don't know how many turbo kits Design 1 Systems has sold, but their sales likely were limited further by something other than just price. For example, their customer service historically has been so-o-o gawdawful, there actually is an archived thread from 2007 on this forum whose title (which did not mean to be nasty) very understandably asked the question, "Is Design 1 Systems still in business?"

Similar tales from others regarding poor customer service spontaneously emerged when I started a thread that didn't even ask about customer service, but about the applicaibility of a Design 1 Systems turbo on my pushrod 3.4L engine swap, "Design 1 Systems Turbo Kit for a Pushrod 3.4L?" ( https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090219-2-087508.html ).

I don't anticipate there being customer service problems with Oslo or TLG.

In short, my experience has been that like Rodney Dickman, Oslo always has understood the long-term value of providing excellent customer service.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleDirect Link to This Post
I wrote to Design 1 Systems, inquiring if they would sell components, rather than a complete kit, given that I already have the tuning/fueling situation under control.

Their sales prevention department was effective in ensuring that I did not get a reply to my email. As a result, I'll probably end up going with a local exhaust shop.

Maybe I'll go with TLG if they come out with a y-pipe in the next few months, or whenever I get around to getting this turbo project underway, but it's unlikely, since I already have specific plumbing routing in mind, and I have the Isuzu shift cables to deal with...
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
pcwentworth

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pcwentworthSend a Private Message to pcwentworthDirect Link to This Post
So if you were to offer a kit, can you give us any timeframe? 6months 1, 2 years...
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

Ultimately, you'll be able to make more power with a 3800, but a 2.8 doesn't have to be a slouch. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/103956.html

people are putting down serious #'s with genIII 60deg's, with less $ into them then alot of the 3800 people. just not seen in fieros as much yet...

aarongtr
00 Grand Am GT 3400 supercharged
13.788 @ 103.73 mph, 320whp 300 ft/lbs
Gotta love boost!

Moonwell
is at 250 whp in his z24 w/ a 3400, NA hp, no boost.

redzmonte
1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
-Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors

then there is this video, altho they never show the dyno results i doubt whats posted is legit, but possible...
http://www.youtube.com/watc...RxF8&feature=related

gen I/II 60deg engines gave the whole fam a bad rep for performance, gen III changed that. 3500 NA @ 220hp stock, vs 3800SC @ 260 (for the series III) +40 more w/ a SC?

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hookdonspeed:
people are putting down serious #'s with genIII 60deg's, with less $ into them then alot of the 3800 people. just not seen in fieros as much yet...

I'm under the impression that the kit was for Fieros with Gen I 60 degree V6s, but if TLG wanted to sell a version with different exhaust manifolds to fit the Gen III, that would be cool too.

I do question if there would be enough of a market for it though. But then again, since they'll probably be made-to-order...
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2011 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

I'm under the impression that the kit was for Fieros with Gen I 60 degree V6s, but if TLG wanted to sell a version with different exhaust manifolds to fit the Gen III, that would be cool too.

I do question if there would be enough of a market for it though. But then again, since they'll probably be made-to-order...

would be a simple change... i could boltup a set of stock fiero manifolds to my 3500, they would just be seriously undersized, just a diffrent flange/tube size and would be good to go... intakes come to about the same spot as the 2.8l. would def increase the market for such a kit, being able to go onto upgraded enigne swaps, and not juts stock 2.8's

mainly i was just trying to shutup the 3800 guy

[This message has been edited by hookdonspeed (edited 08-23-2011).]

FinnishFireball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2011 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FinnishFireballClick Here to visit FinnishFireball's HomePageSend a Private Message to FinnishFireballDirect Link to This Post
Lets say one buys a kit like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...&hash=item27be76a53d
to be put in Fiero, what else is needed? Standalone engine management or? How about exhaust, should both sides go to turbo or just the other, downpipe? I'm just trying to figure out the total cost if fabs are done by myself since swap is a no-can-do here and my Fiero might need some more uumph under the lid. Perhaps bigger injectors and more volume fuel pump? And I'm talking about keeping the boost at moderate level, 8 psi or so, the stock engine should handle that right?
Vendetta

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2011 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VendettaSend a Private Message to VendettaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oslo:

Hey guys, thanks for the input! It really means a lot to hear right from the Fiero community on new product ideas.

A few things to touch on: We were actually considering building a Fiero specific performance intake manifold for the 3800 NA, thought that would be kind of cool

Are you guys still going to make this?

Austin
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2011 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

There are many problems here..

First off.. 99% of your market hates turbos for unknown and illogical reasons. Most think of turbo lag, others think of "tuning issues". I had a guy at a fiero club meeting say he would pay an ungodly amount of money for a supercharger kit for a fiero, but wouldnt go near a turbo setup because it was "hard to tune" (I felt bad because I laughed in his face on accident, thought it was a joke).

Secondly... I havent made a 3800 swap kit for many many small reasons... One that seems to be fairly fiero specific... Everyone out there is a critic, and everyone seems to be critical of stuff that just plain irrelevant or ignorant. One bad press release and you just killed another 99% of your customer base.

The rest of the people left because they are smart enough to see through the BS are going to go the obvious route and do a motor swap as they could do it for 1/4 the price.

I believe that the extra engine compartment heat that you get with a turbo discourages those who use their Fieros on the street or for long distance highway use. I built a turbocharged 3.4L from the ground up and while its fun to drive the engine compartment gets much hotter than that on my 3800SC. While the extra heat hasn't hurt anything and perhaps my concerns are unfounded, I feel better with a cooler engine compartment. While realizing that turbos are the way to greater most cost effective horspower in a 3800 swap, if we upgrade to the newer twin screw Eaton TVS supercharger, I am not so sure.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, ZZP Intercooler, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock