Started on: 06-26-2004 03:28 PM
Replies: 141
Last post by: connecticutFIERO on 07-14-2004 06:52 PM
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2004 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post

So, I could film a documentary on the OJ murders and say I did it to expose OJ. It doesn't make it propaganda... Have you seen it?

It may or may not be propaganda, but such a film would NOT be a documentary. When you have a pre-formed opinion on something, and cast about for pieces of information to support that opinion, you are not making a documentary.
IP: Logged
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2004 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Anybody seen Fahrenheit 9/11?

I don't comment on things I've never seen.

Check with me again when Hell freezes over.

stimpy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 386
User Banned

Report this Post07-13-2004 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyDirect Link to This Post
OK. I just watched "Dogtown and Z-Boys" which was a documentary about sakteboarders which put across the point of view that these certain skateboarders were responsible for the entire state of skating as it exists. Now, how *objectively* would this point be made? What petri dish can you put that segment of society in and say that it would or would not be different if that part of history did not exist? Every individual has a point of view, and that point of view colors our reality. To posit that a documentary can be made without some form of "slant" or "bias" is completely absurd. I would love to see any example of a documentary film made that doesn't have some point of view. Even a bank security camera has a point of view.
connecticutFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2004 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post
I JUST finished watching Fahrenheit 9/11. The interviews, pictures, and experience make the film worth watching. I don't care who you want to vote for, if you support the war in Iraq, if you support president Bush then please take the time to see what those who have lost children have to say, and see the actual film of the soldiers.

It sure puts your values into perspective no matter what you think of Michael Moore or whether the film is a documentary or not. What matters and what struck me in this film is the content, and the actual content (ie: pictures, interviews, etc.) cannot be refuted. Its right there plain as day in technicolor for your viewing pleasure. If you don't like what our soldiers or the parents of soldiers who have lost their lives are saying... then tough, its not fake or scripted, its facts presented on the grim side of war and money. Sure there might be good intentions or bad intentions involved in getting us where we are, but what this film is really about are the consequences and the reality.

[This message has been edited by connecticutFIERO (edited 07-13-2004).]

stimpy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 386
User Banned

Report this Post07-14-2004 03:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by stimpy:

Originally posted by trailboss:
The Guardian/UK originally ran the story.

Please post a link to the Guardian story, or some other legitamate news source.

Anybody?

Spektrum-87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2004 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Spektrum-87GTSend a Private Message to Spektrum-87GTDirect Link to This Post
When people hear something they do not like, why do they automatically reject it and call it a lie?

Anyway, the point of this entire thread has been pointless. Michael Moore has admitted its an opinionated movie.
His facts have been proven correct by unbiased sources and Michael Moore himself: http://www.michaelmoore.com/warroom/f911notes/

Instead of automatically rejecting something that is possibly truth. Why not actually consider what is being said and not be a stereotypical Republican. In other words, stop being so close minded and actually consider another side.

Guess it doesn't matter much anyway, it's already obvious who's winning the next election.

------------------

Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2004 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spektrum-87GT:

When people hear something they do not like, why do they automatically reject it and call it a lie?

Yeah, I really jumped the gun on judging the Nazis for that whole Gasing the Jews thing. I really need to step back and look it again with more objectivity.

88red4cyl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2004 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88red4cylSend a Private Message to 88red4cylDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Toddster:

Yeah, I really jumped the gun on judging the Nazis for that whole Gasing the Jews thing. I really need to step back and look it again with more objectivity.

ROFLMAO

connecticutFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2004 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post

Gassing jews -vs- a movie? Hmmmm. someone is running out of logical rebuttals.

Steve Normington

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2004 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve NormingtonSend a Private Message to Steve NormingtonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spektrum-87GT:

His facts have been proven correct by unbiased sources and Michael Moore himself: http://www.michaelmoore.com/warroom/f911notes/

I'm sure the things in the movie are facts. But the way he presents them and the facts that he leaves out are what make it biased. My example of how you can post a fact but make it misleading is the phrase, "Steve has not used cocaine since 2003." Since I have never used cocaine, this statement is true and factual. But it is written to mislead a reader into thinking I did cocaine until 2003. IMO, this is what Moore does.

Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2004 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by connecticutFIERO:

Gassing jews -vs- a movie? Hmmmm. someone is running out of logical rebuttals.

Funny, I was under the impression that you thought the movie was about "reality". Are you conceeding that it is just a work of fiction and should be compared to other movies like Gone with the Wind?

Clearly the movie declares President Bush and the US military to a be mass murderers so I find the Nazi comparison (real mass murderers) MORE than appropriate.

running out of logic you say?
swish.

PFF
System Bot
Tugboat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2004 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TugboatSend a Private Message to TugboatDirect Link to This Post

swish.

What's that, the horse's tail?

GL

Tigger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2004 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TiggerSend a Private Message to TiggerDirect Link to This Post

Funny, I was under the impression that you thought the movie was about "reality". Are you conceeding that it is just a work of fiction and should be compared to other movies like Gone with the Wind?

Clearly the movie declares President Bush and the US military to a be mass murderers so I find the Nazi comparison (real mass murderers) MORE than appropriate.

swish.

How do you know? You've told us you haven't seen it.

Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2004 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tugboat:

What's that, the horse's tail?

GL

You avoid the issues with the mastery of a deserting soldier.

Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2004 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Toddster

20871 posts
Member since May 2001

Originally posted by Tigger:

How do you know? You've told us you haven't seen it.

I haven't but I did see the "Making of" and they showed that particular scene in detail.

connecticutFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2004 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post

swish.

It is about reality. Because the shots and interviews are REAL. I never did say the movie was a documentary. Its not a documentary its facts presented with an opinion voiced over the top. Funny though because most documentaries are just that. Go figure.

Swish... what you think not seeing a movie then commenting on it with no source and then comparing it to gassing jews is a winning argument?

Bwuahahahahahahaha....

[This message has been edited by connecticutFIERO (edited 07-14-2004).]

Tugboat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2004 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TugboatSend a Private Message to TugboatDirect Link to This Post

You avoid the issues with the mastery of a deserting soldier.

LMFAO

I can't post what I just wrote. BAD BOY!! STOP IT!!

Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2004 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

It is about reality. Because the shots and interviews are REAL. I never did say the movie was a documentary. Its not a documentary its facts presented with an opinion voiced over the top. Funny though because most documentaries are just that. Go figure.

Swish... what you think not seeing a movie then commenting on it with no source and then comparing it to gassing jews is a winning argument?

Bwuahahahahahahaha....

Then you agree that we are not talking about the movie as "Film". We are not going to discuss the lighting, acting, wardrobe, musical score, etc.

We are talking about the validity of it as a representation of reality. In which case the gasing of the Jews, a real world event, is an entirely appropriate (even if extreme) analogy.

Which brings us back to the point, the question was why do I pre-judge things I don't like? And the answer is as simple as human nature, because when a pile of horse sh*t is flying towards your face...YOU DUCK!

You don't stand there and let it smack you in the kisser, inhale it's aroma, and ponder the question of the horses' last meal. It smells bad for a reason. It is natures way of saying, "this ain't chili"!

So, if it looks like horsesh*t, smells like horsesh*t, and is being delivered to movie theaters courtesy of a horses ass, I'll give you odds on what it is!

atleastitruns

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2004 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for atleastitrunsSend a Private Message to atleastitrunsDirect Link to This Post
to borrow a term from Skank... this is for shits an giggles:

Fahrenheit 9/11:
"A movie that will make Bush-haters hate him more, and Bush-lovers hate Moore."

dunno if it's been said before, I said it while talking to my best friend's extremely-Republican mother. I think it's kinda funny.

Janell

hmm, something just came to mind. does anyone have a link to the box-office numbers on this movie in say, the UK, or Canada, or [teehee] France?

[This message has been edited by atleastitruns (edited 07-14-2004).]

connecticutFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2004 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post

Then you agree that we are not talking about the movie as "Film". We are not going to discuss the lighting, acting, wardrobe, musical score, etc.

We are talking about the validity of it as a representation of reality. In which case the gasing of the Jews, a real world event, is an entirely appropriate (even if extreme) analogy.

Which brings us back to the point, the question was why do I pre-judge things I don't like? And the answer is as simple as human nature, because when a pile of horse sh*t is flying towards your face...YOU DUCK!

You don't stand there and let it smack you in the kisser, inhale it's aroma, and ponder the question of the horses' last meal. It smells bad for a reason. It is natures way of saying, "this ain't chili"!

So, if it looks like horsesh*t, smells like horsesh*t, and is being delivered to movie theaters courtesy of a horses ass, I'll give you odds on what it is!

Even though you wrote about half a page of text, you didn't actually accompish anything. The fact still stands that the CONTENT of the movie, not the lighting or filmography is fact sprinkled with opinionated dialogue. As far as reality based goes, the movie is based on the reality of war, what soldiers fighting it think, what families of those soldiers think, what congress members think of sending their kids to war, and of course how it relates to the current administration.

Pick an intrerview and dispute it, I don't care what class the film is in, it still holds water when tested.

Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2004 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

what soldiers fighting it think,

Really?

Which Soldiers? Did he interview all 130,000 of them? I'll tell you the "reality". He interviewed about 100 but showed clips of only a handful. In fact that "handful" represented opinions DIFFERENT from the other 80 interviews. So how real is that? He only showed the opinions of a few soldiers that shared his thoughts, that is all. Hardly independent or balanced....or real.

what families of those soldiers think, what congress members think of sending their kids to war, and of course how it relates to the current administration.

In their singularly myopic view.

Pick an intrerview and dispute it, I don't care what class the film is in, it still holds water when tested.

Oh yeah, it holds water, like a colonder. But Moore is presenting the littel teaspoon of water at the bottom where there are no holes and pretending it represents the opinion of EVERYBODY except the administration. Yeah, it holds water, so does a paper towel but I wouldn't put it under too much pressure or snap...you get exactly what we have here. A joke of a film that is getting the lambasting it deserves from people in the know.

PFF
System Bot
connecticutFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2004 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post

Oh yeah, it holds water, like a colonder. But Moore is presenting the littel teaspoon of water at the bottom where there are no holes and pretending it represents the opinion of EVERYBODY except the administration. Yeah, it holds water, so does a paper towel but I wouldn't put it under too much pressure or snap...you get exactly what we have here. A joke of a film that is getting the lambasting it deserves from people in the know.

Then again its getting good reviews from people who actually see it, as opposed to the people like you who DIDN"T see it and then turn around and claim to be "in the know". I'll tell you what, when you are "in the know" I'll roll over let you rub my belly like a good dog. Until then, your views are nothing more than speculation and exagerrated rumors.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock