Started on: 09-17-2005 07:28 PM
Replies: 20
Last post by: fierofetish on 10-01-2005 12:07 PM
Wichita

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2005 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to build an observation tower. Right now it is in the preliminary stage. I have submitted the idea to every mover and shaker in my town, yet I don't think they are taking me too seriously. I just recieved a few replies on the project as "interesting", but nothing more.

But that is not going to deter me! I need to really pump up the attention of this tower. I'm getting all the paperwork together to create a not-for-profit corporation for this project. I know I can recieve a few grants for this project, so long as I can raise money for matching funds. But by my calculations and research of available grants, the most I can expect to recieve is around $75,000.

I have no idea how much this project will cost, but I expect it to cost several million. I'm trying to keep the concept simple, because I want it to be simple, also to cut down cost of construction and operation of the tower.

Once I get this project rolling, I know people will start to take me seriously and I can therefor recieve more support and funds. I'm not doing this for fame or fortune, it is something I've been dreaming about for a long time. Call it the "Tower of Dreams" Field of Dreams.

I need to figure out a way to raise capital. An effective fundraiser to get the project started with plans, design, engineering, and cost projections. I will have no problem getting a land site for it.

After it is built, I will probably do either two things with it. I would have the not-for-profit dissolved and the tower be given to the city for them to run it, or the not-for-profit company would manage and run it. Recieving funds from banquet rentals and admissions to the observation deck (it would be really cheap. Like $2 for adults, $1 for Seniors, for example). Most of the income would come from renting out the banquet floor.

Anybody have experience in fundraising or could give advice? All funds will go directly for the construction of the tower, not one dollar will go towards administration fees, salaries, or the like.

Here is the website I put up for it. www.PeerlessTower.com

This tower was designed by PFF member loafer87gt
His website can be checked out at www.jlvisuals.com

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2005 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

It's a little over six months until April 1st.
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2005 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
No, He's VERY VERY serious. Remember, he was asking about the best ways to illuminate a tower a few months back?

Go for it, man! Build that iTower!

Maybe APPLE will help ya out with the $$$ ..

Just make it DO something...

Maybe you'll get a company to support ya if it could serve a purpose for them...?

Maybe a beer company...America's largest(only?) beer tap tower ?

[This message has been edited by FieroRumor (edited 09-17-2005).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2005 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

Maybe you'll get a company to support ya if it could serve a purpose for them...?

How about Durex, Trojan, or LifeStyles?

Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2005 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post
What would people observe from the tower? What is the reasoning behind wanting to spend millions on an observation tower? Is it supposed to be a tourist attraction? A symbol of the might of Kansas? A place to watch for incoming invaders?
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2005 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
You don't want to watch me Wichita
Wichita

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2005 03:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scott-Wa:

What would people observe from the tower? What is the reasoning behind wanting to spend millions on an observation tower? Is it supposed to be a tourist attraction? A symbol of the might of Kansas? A place to watch for incoming invaders?

You are right! What benefit will it bring? Kansas ranks 50th (last place) in the US as a state that attracts tourisim. There is nothing here. Literally!

Wichita, in all accounts, is not considered a large city. Suburbs included, it has a population around 500,000. Big enough to hold its own, but not large enough to warrent anything special. But it is going through a transformation, in my opinion, it is a beautiful city with big potential of doing good. Lot of things are happening here, and it is a very entrepreneurial spirited place.

I feel a sense of loyalty here. I grew up here, though the public school system, and graduated from the technical school and Wichita State University. In a way, the community has invested in me and I just want to give back to the community with a vision. I don't want to leave here like some of my good friends have. People usually go on to Kansas City, Dallas, Atlanta, or Denver. But I will remain here.

The tower will be a symbol of pride, not really much of a tourist attraction. When I worked for the city as an Accountant clerk, I was responsible for several Parks and Recreational facilities and one of them was called the Boathouse. A place next to the Arkansas River (we pronounce it are-Kansas, because there is no "W" in Arkansas). It was constantly booked for wedding and corporate receptions for two years in advance and it housed the Visitors Information Center and I often staffed that position and talked to many visitors and people through the years. That place is now closed, because of current and future development that is taken place at that site. I wanna bring it back, but place it in a tower as a sense of community pride and a monument that we can achieve anything possible.

I love this place and I just want to make it better. This project is the reflection of my love. I want it to happen, because I know it is possible and I will make it possible. These are my words. Now! Back to Boone's Farm Fuzzy Navel flavored apple wine product.

shop_rat45

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2005 03:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shop_rat45Send a Private Message to shop_rat45Direct Link to This Post
That would be really cool!! If you do get it done, I will make the trip to Kansas to see it. Good luck to you!!

Kris

------------------

RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2005 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEDirect Link to This Post
Most things are built for a definable reason or to commemorate something. What is the purpose for this 650 feet tower? (not that the neato factor isn't there).

I may take a trip to Iowa's own observation tower in Jefferson to see how it is doing.

Wichita

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2005 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RACE:

Most things are built for a definable reason or to commemorate something. What is the purpose for this 650 feet tower? (not that the neato factor isn't there).

I may take a trip to Iowa's own observation tower in Jefferson to see how it is doing.

The Mahanay Carillon Tower? It does look really cool! Plus the bells make it even better. I would like to check it out for myself.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2005 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

I'm going to build an observation tower.

This tower was designed by PFF member loafer87gt

A collaboration between Wichita and loafer87gt is no surprise considering their similar ideologies. With that in mind, I believe their tower needs a slight addition to make it more reflect their political aspirations. I humbly submit my proposal:

I call it "The RightWinger".

PFF
System Bot
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2005 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post
Shouldn't you notify places like the Eagle Beacon newspaper and KAKE 12 (TV) about your asperations? I mean its nice and thanks for telling us about the tower, but Fiero.nl is not usually frequented by the average person living in Sedwick County. Best of luck in making the Tower happen.
S. Williams

------------------
1988 Fiero Formula T-tops
CJB 143 of 1252 "factory T-top cars"

Wichita

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2005 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by htexans1:

Shouldn't you notify places like the Eagle Beacon newspaper and KAKE 12 (TV) about your asperations? I mean its nice and thanks for telling us about the tower, but Fiero.nl is not usually frequented by the average person living in Sedwick County. Best of luck in making the Tower happen.
S. Williams

Don't worry they know.

I was actually asking if anybody had any fundraising experience. I know it is a long shot, but thought I ask anyways.

Plus! I just wanna announce it to the people here. You guys are like my extended family.

Wichita

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2005 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
They had an article about the project in today's newspaper.
http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/12777567.htm

I was also on the radio.

I will also be on the evening television news next week.

This is great! I have recieved tons of responses from the community, basically all of them positive.

Gaining momentum.

Only draw back, is that people are kind of confused about that damn bird wing. (directed at Patrick)

jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2005 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
It was also on KSAL radio out of Salina today on their Noon Report as a press release. Just so you know it's getting some airtime.

John Stricker

F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2005 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
How about Durex, Trojan, or LifeStyles?

Here's a thought, get the approval for the tower then threaten everyone in town to raise money for it by getting corporate sponsership from one of the above companies. I would think that might motivate some people...

pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2005 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post
Hi all,

While I was thinking about this project of yours, I was trying to find a good quesiton that noone else posted or that I, lol, skipped over, sorry guys, wouldn't there be a problem with tornado's and this tower..........How sturdy could it reall be?? I know you must of thought this through well past what we may ask, so I know there's a good answer....

Other than that, I say go for it!! Nothing wrong with this idea at all>>>>!!!

sostock

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2005 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post
a giant tower in the middle of Kansas so you can, uh view more of Kansas? hummm. hey what about a BTK museum? that would attract tourists. got to think of something people will actually travel and pay money to see.
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2005 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sostock:

a giant tower in the middle of Kansas so you can, uh view more of Kansas? hummm. hey what about a BTK museum? that would attract tourists. got to think of something people will actually travel and pay money to see.

HI all,

I think the idea is grand!! Personally I would build it a lil bit bigger maybe to accomadate a resturant maybe or maybe many fast food joints or a fairly large gift shop or something......Anyways, I am familiar with the BTK title, but I don't know where he was from........Still I think your idea even if being humourous is SICK man.......! Don't take an idea like this and trash it, personally I wish more and more people would love where there from, where they live, and things.............

Wichita

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2005 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pavo_roddy:

HI all,

I think the idea is grand!! Personally I would build it a lil bit bigger maybe to accomadate a resturant maybe or maybe many fast food joints or a fairly large gift shop or something......Anyways, I am familiar with the BTK title, but I don't know where he was from........Still I think your idea even if being humourous is SICK man.......! Don't take an idea like this and trash it, personally I wish more and more people would love where there from, where they live, and things.............

Thanks man! That was a great comment. + for you.

fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post10-01-2005 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Call it the Wichitower?:
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock