Started on: 03-03-2006 07:02 PM
Replies: 52
Last post by: Boondawg on 06-27-2006 04:51 PM
fierofetish

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post03-22-2006 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Real Craftsmanship...excellent work!! A joy to behold !!
A friend of mine builds BMW 2002's for racing.Some of the rollcages are dreadful..he doesn't make them thought. I have made a couple for him for BMW 630ci's....real fun...with the roof still on!! I know what you mean about contortionist!! Made a couple of really awkward bodymoves...and got cramp in the most painful positions!!!
Thanks for the opportunity to view your work, Doug
Nick

------------------
fierofetish.PFF'S self-confessed Snowbird!!

Responsibility: the solution for our World's Dilemmas..
Yahoo messenger:nickcannspain
MSN Messenger-nicholascann@hotmail.com

IP: Logged
Doug Chase

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2006 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug ChaseSend a Private Message to Doug ChaseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Are you useing mig or tig?

I do both but for stuff like this I prefer MIG. It's faster and it's easier to get into convoluted spaces. I TIG stuff where I need more control and / or when appearance is of primary importance. I TIG all of the stainless exhaust stuff I do.

Hot sparks in the ear was enough for me to start tig welding as much as I could.
Thanks for sharing!

Believe me, I understand.

Thanks for the kind words!

------------------
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Custom: cages, exhausts, fabrication
Duvall, WA
425-269-5636

[edited to fix the quotes]

[This message has been edited by Doug Chase (edited 03-23-2006).]

Doug Chase

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2006 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug ChaseSend a Private Message to Doug ChaseDirect Link to This Post

Doug Chase

1487 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by fierofetish:

Real Craftsmanship...excellent work!! A joy to behold !!
A friend of mine builds BMW 2002's for racing.Some of the rollcages are dreadful..he doesn't make them thought. I have made a couple for him for BMW 630ci's....real fun...with the roof still on!! I know what you mean about contortionist!! Made a couple of really awkward bodymoves...and got cramp in the most painful positions!!!
Thanks for the opportunity to view your work, Doug
Nick

Thank you. I'd love to see your cages if you have any pictures. Doing a cage in an open car like this is actually easier than a closed car. You have a lot more room to work with everything, plus the naked cage looks really cool.

Have fun at the rally!

------------------
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Duvall, WA
425-269-5636

jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2006 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
We use the Turbo II models from Harold Electric. A Fiero rally car would probably take a model 24. The prices on the page are MSRP. You can actually buy them all day long for about $190.00.

John Stricker

Originally posted by Jefrysuko:

You see this alot on construction machinery and ag tractors etc. For certain applications your filter can get completely clogged in as little as 100 hours without them. I could definetly see a rally car as one of those applications.

At Caterpillar we call them Dust Ejectors. I havn't disected one yet but somehow the exhaust gas is used to create the cyclone from a 2" tube off the muffler.

Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2006 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post
John, Thanks for the link. That one kind of looks like one of those Turbonators that you put in your intake except that it probably works.

I did a little digging into the style that gets attached to the exhaust and it turns out that the exhaust connection is creating a vacuum. The term "dust ejector" is the exhaust portion of the unit as the contaminates are "ejected" out the exhaust stack.

Cool stuff.

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2006 06:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jstricker:
We use the Turbo II models from Harold Electric. A Fiero rally car would probably take a model 24. The prices on the page are MSRP. You can actually buy them all day long for about $190.00.

John Stricker

I bet they work pretty good but I would still rather have a remote filter, it would work a lot better if you have the clean air exit one side and the dirt exit another. You couldn’t attach it to a cab if you have the clean air side exit the top and I don’t think it would work as well if the dirty side exited the top.
Centrifugal force and gravity keep the dirt on the outside and let it exit out of the bottom dumping it on the ground. I think I will try and build one this year using the same space as a stock v6 filter.

1986 Fiero GT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2006 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doug Chase:

I do both but for stuff like this I prefer MIG. It's faster and it's easier to get into convoluted spaces. I TIG stuff where I need more control and / or when appearance is of primary importance. I TIG all of the stainless exhaust stuff I do.

Forgive my ignorance, and I'm sure this would require a very long-winded answer, but what are the fundamental differences between MIG and TIG? Isn't TIG kind of like soldering?

By the way Doug, great job on the build. If I ever need a cage for anything, I'll bring it to you!

jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2006 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Yep, the exhaust creates a vacuum through a venturi and is a dirt ejector. Some tractors have that implemented from the factory. Steiger used to and some Massey and CaseIH models as well. The thing is the "ejector" part is not really necessary. For that matter, neither is the little twirly thing inside. Donaldson has made a precleaner for years that used centrifugal force to separate the dirt from the air but it put it in a clear plastic bowl instead of dumping it out of the bottom. No moving parts and they work pretty well.

John Stricker

Originally posted by Jefrysuko:

John, Thanks for the link. That one kind of looks like one of those Turbonators that you put in your intake except that it probably works.

I did a little digging into the style that gets attached to the exhaust and it turns out that the exhaust connection is creating a vacuum. The term "dust ejector" is the exhaust portion of the unit as the contaminates are "ejected" out the exhaust stack.

Cool stuff.

jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2006 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post

jstricker

12956 posts
Member since Apr 2002
Jake,

Just so we're clear, these are strictly PRECLEANERS, they still require a conventional air filter element. And normally, you're going to want to mount them as high as practical to keep them out of the elements (especially the water). Off road racers like SCORE have used this stuff for years. Rally cars are a little more, I don't know the right word, it's certainly not "delicate", but they run in brush and trees and forests and what have you and things that hang out in the breeze tend to get broke off in the terrain they run.

John Stricker

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

I bet they work pretty good but I would still rather have a remote filter, it would work a lot better if you have the clean air exit one side and the dirt exit another. You couldn’t attach it to a cab if you have the clean air side exit the top and I don’t think it would work as well if the dirty side exited the top.
Centrifugal force and gravity keep the dirt on the outside and let it exit out of the bottom dumping it on the ground. I think I will try and build one this year using the same space as a stock v6 filter.

dguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2006 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dguySend a Private Message to dguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doug Chase:

Any questions?

Thanks for the write-up, Doug. Very interesting. Do you have an approximate tally of how much time went in to this?

Doug Chase

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2006 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug ChaseSend a Private Message to Doug ChaseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1986 Fiero GT:

Forgive my ignorance, and I'm sure this would require a very long-winded answer, but what are the fundamental differences between MIG and TIG? Isn't TIG kind of like soldering?

TIG is actually very similar to gas welding, the difference being that the flame comes from an electric arc instead of burning acetylene/oxygen. The TIG torch has a tungsten electrode and you strike an arc between this and the work piece. As you melt the work piece you manually feed in filler material. The filler material is the same welding rod used for gas welding.

MIG is a more automated process. The filler material is a spool of wire. This wire is fed through the torch, and the arc is struck between this and the work piece. As you are welding, the filler material is constantly being fed into the weld.

MIG is much faster. TIG allows more precise instantaneous control over the weld. Both can produce strong, pretty welds, but depending on the situation one may be more optimal than the other.

That's a very brief description of the two processes. If that doesn't answer your question let me know and I'll happily be more long winded.

John, thanks for the link to the Harold Electric pre-cleaners. They're out in my neck of the woods (well, same state at least).

Dguy, a ballpark time estimate is 100 - 200 hrs.

------------------
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Duvall, WA
425-269-5636

[This message has been edited by Doug Chase (edited 03-27-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
Doug Chase

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2006 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug ChaseSend a Private Message to Doug ChaseDirect Link to This Post
I got to race this car last Saturday. One of the perks of the job. That car is a joy to drive. It's the closest thing to perfect handling I've ever driven. It's also the fastest and most fun autocross car I've ever driven. I understand Colin Chapman's love of lightness.

My first four runs were sloppy and slow because I was trying to remember how to drive and the car is much better than I ever was. On my fifth run everything finally clicked and I dropped an additional 1.2 seconds which put me within 0.8 seconds of the owner, and in 5th place for top time of day. I was happy with that, and also happy that we got 5 runs.

Here are some photos of the finished and painted cage.

Boondawg, you wanted weld close-ups. Below is one that shows a couple welds plus it shows how I tied it in to the seat belt towers:

------------------
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Duvall, WA
425-269-5636

Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post06-27-2006 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
Looks really good, Doug!
Yeah, those welds are beyond my currant stick-welder (or is it just my skills).
Thanks for the pictures!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock