Started on: 04-21-2010 08:53 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: 1986 Fiero GT on 04-21-2010 10:15 PM
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2010 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
My father's 50th birthday is coming up in about a week, and one of the presents I'm giving him is fixing the AC in his truck, a 98 Navigator. It's been stuck on heat, which was not very nice the other day it was 80 degrees here, especially with the pleather seats. The problem turned out to be the blend door actuator, and the blend door itself.

The Ford dealer wanted $1000 to replace it The parts only cost $60 for the actuator, and $30 for the door (bought a Dorman one, with a reinforced bottom piece). So I thought to myself, "How hard could it be?"

I just spent the ENTIRE DAY tearing this thing apart, had the dash taken all apart, pulled out, and pulled back. Whoever designed this should be shot. I think I took out around 50 screws. Makes replacing the heater core in the Fiero look like a picnic. There were electronic gizmos and doodads I couldn't even begin to identify. The actuator comes in tomorrow, so I'll finish it up then.

Here's a nice writeup showing the process:

http://www.f150online.com/f...cement-pictures.html

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
DeLorean00

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2010 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post
Welcome to my world. I get jobs like that at work everyday. I actually enjoy the challenge.

Look at the crap I went through today at work to change a passenger air bag and a 08 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I hate these new cars that make you replace the dash when the airbags deploy.

Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2010 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
Boy howdy I don't envy you Delorean Looks like a giant pain in the wazoo to replace those airbags lol
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2010 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
The passenger airbag was actually the easiest component to remove on the whole truck, 3 bolts, and five minutes, comes out as a module. Unplugged the battery a few hours before messing with it, though. As I unplugged it, and later plugged it back in, I was just waiting for it to explode in my face. No worries working on the Fiero
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2010 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

I was just waiting for it to explode in my face.

You know I always fear that too. Just to be safe I after replace airbags I always turn the key from out side the car, by reaching under the steering column. I just want to be clear of the airbags. However I have been told there is almost a zero chance of them going off.
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2010 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post

DeLorean00

4251 posts
Member since Aug 2005

Originally posted by Xerces_Blackthorne:

Boy howdy I don't envy you Delorean Looks like a giant pain in the wazoo to replace those airbags lol

You know its actually not that bad. Its the anxiety of the job that gets you. Once you get past the idea you are going to tear apart an almost brand new car its not bad. It just a giant puzzle. It actually relaxes me to do a job like that, I really enjoy all the logic and order.

[This message has been edited by DeLorean00 (edited 04-21-2010).]

Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2010 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DeLorean00:

You know its actually not that bad. Its the anxiety of the job that gets you. Once you get past the idea you are going to tear apart an almost brand new car its not bad. It just a giant puzzle. It actually relaxes me to do a job like that, I really enjoy all the logic and order.

Riiiight...
1986 Fiero GT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2010 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DeLorean00:

I'm the same way. We've got a 2010 Camaro 2SS in the shop right now and it's gutted...completely empty interior. I love it.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock