Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Want to own a piece of Tesla? Stock IPO begins tomorrow. $14-$16/share~

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Want to own a piece of Tesla? Stock IPO begins tomorrow. $14-$16/share~ by maryjane
Started on: 06-28-2010 04:09 PM
Replies: 20
Last post by: maryjane on 07-07-2010 01:51 PM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2010 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
http://www.marketwatch.com/...llion-ipo-2010-06-28

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- As Tesla Motors, the Silicon Valley-based maker of sleek, high-performance electric cars, steers its highly anticipated public stock offering toward a Tuesday debut, hopes are running high that the company can plug into a rich vein of ready cash stretching from the Bay Area all the way to Wall Street.

Tesla, whose top-end Roadster model sells for more than $100,000, was founded in 2003 by Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk and Chief Technical Officer J.B. Straubel. It has yet to turn a profit.

Nonetheless, the stock is likely to attract a cult following, said Scott Sweet, senior managing partner of IPO Boutique.

At a time when Detroit stalwart GM is also gearing for a return to the public markets, the unconventional Tesla is becoming the first American car maker to go public since Ford Motor Co. first brought its shares to the New York Stock Exchange in 1956. Tesla is focusing on its clean-energy technology as a selling point for its company, hoping to tap into growing consumer interest for hybrid vehicles in an era of higher oil prices.

And Sweet said there is, in fact, strong demand for Tesla shares. He said the Tesla IPO is "multiple times oversubscribed" at the retail and institutional levels, which suggests the deal could be priced at the high end of the planned $14-to-$16-a-share range.

On Monday, Tesla boosted the number of shares it plans to offer in the deal by 20% to 13.3 million shares, of which insider holdings will constitute 1.4 million shares. In all, the deal could raise $244 million. Sweet surmises the stock could pop by 10% to 15% over the offer price in first-day trading. Tesla will trade on the Nasdaq under the ticker symbol "TSLA."

Handling the offering are Goldman Sachs Group Inc.
Immediately after the IPO, Tesla plans to sell $50 million in shares to Toyota Motor Corp. The electric-car maker recently agreed to buy Toyota's Fremont, Calif., manufacturing facility for $42 million. That deal included an investment from the Japanese company as part of a broader partnership between the pair.

Musk, 38, founded Tesla after helping launch PayPal, an electronic-payment system acquired by eBay Inc. in 2002, and Zip2 Corp., a provider of Internet enterprise software acquired by Compaq in 1999. He is expected to own 28% of Tesla's stock after the IPO.

Sales of the Tesla Roadster began in 2008, followed up last year with the Roadster 2. As of March 31, Tesla had sold 1,063 Roadsters to customers in 22 countries and had unfilled reservations for a further 110.

In recent years, there has been a shift in the IPO market to companies showing actual profits -- versus mere potential -- before selling shares to the public. But Tesla does not expect to make a quarterly profit until at least 2012. Through March 31, the company's net loss since inception approaches $300 million. It has generated $147.6 million in revenue over the past five years.

In its prospectus, Tesla said future profit hinges on sales of its $50,000 Model S sedan. Volume production of that five-passenger vehicle is to begin in 2012. So far, 2,200 potential customers have plunked down a $5,000 minimum refundable down payment for the Model S, which was first marketed in March.

MarketWatch

Tesla logo outside a showroom in Chicago.

Also in the works is a vehicle to be sold at a lower list price and produced in higher quantities than the Model S, according to Tesla. But production of that model remains several years off.

In addition, Tesla is currently supplying 1,500 battery packs and chargers to Daimler AG, which is using the technology in its Smart fortwo, a downscaled vehicle sold in Europe.

Palo Alto, Calif.-based Tesla, which has 646 employees, owns 12 stores in the United States and Europe. It hopes to build a network of 50 stores worldwide. Besides venture capital, Tesla has been getting help from the U.S. government in the form of a $465 million Energy Department loan. It had exhausted $45 million of that loan as of June 14.

Market appetite for Tesla's IPO could serve as something of a litmus test for a coming stock offering by Zipcar, the world's biggest car-sharing service. Cambridge, Mass.-Zipcar filed June 1 for a $75 million IPO.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2010 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
I thought Tesla themselves said they will "never make a profit"?

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2010 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

I thought Tesla themselves said they will "never make a profit"?

That was GM regarding the taxpayer ever getting their 50 billion bucks back.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2010 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Knowing the opportunity is there is not the same as being able to take advantage of it. I can easily see a $10K investment doubling in 2 to 3 years and quite possibly surpassing that.

Thanks for the posting, I'll check with my investment banker to see what Mr. Stricker recommends.

Ron
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2010 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Knowing the opportunity is there is not the same as being able to take advantage of it. I can easily see a $10K investment doubling in 2 to 3 years and quite possibly surpassing that.

Thanks for the posting, I'll check with my investment banker to see what Mr. Stricker recommends.

Ron

I'm hesitant... I'd like to think that Tesla has what it takes... but I'd have to look at their finances prior to going into this. I know the company and their products well... but more often than not (especially in this business), the creator of the technology ends up being the one who spends all the money in development, but doesn't make the profit.

For example... if Tesla was to come out with something other than their modified Lotus Elise, and it was a hit... who's to say that Kia/Hyundai wouldn't come out with a car a few weeks later that's just as good if not better?

I had a friend who was an engineer for Cadillac... he was a Mechanical Engineer and his job was working in the department that would "reverse-engineer" cars. Once a month they would buy a brand new vehicle... like an Aston Martin, or a Land Rover, or a Lexus or Rolls Royce or something like that... and they'd reverse engineer it to figure out if there was any technology on it that they could use and implement in their own vehicles (like stabilitrack, for example...). They have another group of people who are both lawyers and engineers and they would check the patents and make sure that they could copy the technology and not risk patent infrindgement.

There's nothing really that Tesla has that's patented from what i can tell... but they're the ones putting all the money out there to really test the product. If the big manufacturers see that it's viable... and then start dumping their money into it... I guarantee to you that Tesla will be swept away... or if they're lucky, they'll get bought out. They would really have to come out with an attractive niche car to stay competitive.

So that's what's making me nervous about this...

Not to mention that IPOs are really strange beasts... they tend to shoot up like crazy, with massive sell-offs the first minute there's the slightest spike in stock pricing a month or so later. If you're not on the ball with it... you sometimes end up 1 -2 years behind seeing that kind of stock price again... (which means you've basically wasted your money).

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2010 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
There's nothing really that Tesla has that's patented from what i can tell... but they're the ones putting all the money out there to really test the product. If the big manufacturers see that it's viable... and then start dumping their money into it... I guarantee to you that Tesla will be swept away... or if they're lucky, they'll get bought out. They would really have to come out with an attractive niche car to stay competitive.

That's what I think. They really need to back a battery company and come up with a new high energy density formula and patent it. Already they use something like 6800 "AA" sized Li-Ion batteries in their roadster. Lithium is expensive to mine, which accounts for $30000+ of their car's price.

[This message has been edited by ryan.hess (edited 06-28-2010).]

kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2010 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like you'd be better off buying stock in Energizer
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2010 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Ron

Mr. Stricker? I believe, he got caught holding BP.

http://vse.marketwatch.com/...yersAndRankings.aspx

(I feel a nastygram will be in my inbox shortly)
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 291
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2010 06:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Telsa Motors is promising a car with a range that isn't supported by current technology.

They are projecting selling 20,000 cars a year, two years from NOW in a factory that they havent yet purchased. They have produced 1/10 of this number of cars to date.

The company is gushing money out the door.

People are ga-ga for Tesla and willing to buy it WAY over valued.

Sounds like a dot-com company in the '90's
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2010 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Mr. Stricker? I believe, he got caught holding BP.

(I feel a nastygram will be in my inbox shortly)

Possibly but, he tells me he's pretty busy motoring around his property preparing to kick back after making his fortune.

Ron
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2010 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

blackrams

32037 posts
Member since Feb 2003

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

Telsa Motors is promising a car with a range that isn't supported by current technology.

They are projecting selling 20,000 cars a year, two years from NOW in a factory that they havent yet purchased. They have produced 1/10 of this number of cars to date.

Very likely true but, the key is selling the stock before it tops out. Lots of money to be made or lost depending on how good you are at guessing.

Edited: Notice I said before the stock tops out. Most folks get greedy and hold on hoping the stock will go higher. My personal attitude is take a little when you can and hope others make a little but, it doesn't normally work out that way.

Ron

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 06-29-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2010 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
I read this morning, that Tesla has now priced it's IPO at $17/share--$1 above expectation guidance/ We'll see how that goes. I expect Tesla to be a bit like Harley Davidson stock. A novelty investment for a lot of folks--just to say you own a piece of Americana, tho many people seriously invest in HD (HOG) as well.

I might consider Tesla myself, if they hadn't crawled in bed right off the bat with Japanese Toyota. I'll have to stick with Ford as my only transportation type stock--can't crawl in bed myself with GM, since they became a den of inequity filled with theives and liars. I just can't abide either of those attributes.
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2010 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
Not a bad opening day. Somebody could of made a nice little profit for one day of work too bad it wasn't me.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 291
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2010 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
The difference between HD and Telsa is that HD is making money. Or at least was. You have to have a product to sell. You have to be able to produce that product from prototypes that work. Lots of green hype, but in Telsa's case I don't see green $ product.

When was the last time a US automaker sprung up from the ground? Tucker? Delorean? Telsa?

The big point the way I see it ISN'T Telsa. It's the nut cases who can't see anything but Telsa suceeding and who are willing to greatly overinflate the stock. The way I see it is how does one seperate those nut cases from their money and get it to flow to me.
topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2010 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tom Slick:

Not a bad opening day. Somebody could of made a nice little profit for one day of work too bad it wasn't me.

Time for a vacation
Falcon Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2010 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon FieroSend a Private Message to Falcon FieroDirect Link to This Post

Tesla has a dealer in Boulder and they keep selling them as fast as they get them..... Probably not the same story if they had a dealer in Omaha Nebraska.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2010 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

The difference between HD and Telsa is that HD is making money. Or at least was. You have to have a product to sell. You have to be able to produce that product from prototypes that work. Lots of green hype, but in Telsa's case I don't see green $ product.

When was the last time a US automaker sprung up from the ground? Tucker? Delorean? Telsa?

The big point the way I see it ISN'T Telsa. It's the nut cases who can't see anything but Telsa suceeding and who are willing to greatly overinflate the stock. The way I see it is how does one seperate those nut cases from their money and get it to flow to me.

There is often a very huge difference in a company's stock price versus the fundamental value of that stock. Off the top of my head, I can name a dozen companies whose stock is way overvalued and another dozen whose stock is way undervalued.

pokeyfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2010 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't invest in Tesla because they are having sex with Toyota.

Now I am thinking if I had dropped 50 Gs I could have sold it and made/taken 20Gs from them.

Woulda coulda shoulda.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2010 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
The sheen is off the diamond it seems.

At the closing bell Tuesday, shares of Tesla , which had one of recent year's biggest debut-day gains, were worth less than their original offering price. On Tuesday, Tesla shares slid 16% to $16.11, falling below the $17-a-share IPO price for the first time since the Silicon Valley electric-car maker went public June 29. The stock hit a low of $15.83 intraday Tuesday. When the company made its debut last week, shares soared 41% to close at $23.89. The following day the stock climbed to its high-water mark of $30.42.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2010 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

The sheen is off the diamond it seems.

At the closing bell Tuesday, shares of Tesla , which had one of recent year's biggest debut-day gains, were worth less than their original offering price. On Tuesday, Tesla shares slid 16% to $16.11, falling below the $17-a-share IPO price for the first time since the Silicon Valley electric-car maker went public June 29. The stock hit a low of $15.83 intraday Tuesday. When the company made its debut last week, shares soared 41% to close at $23.89. The following day the stock climbed to its high-water mark of $30.42.

That's what I exepected would happen (like I mentioned above). That's the way it's been for pretty much every hyped IPO that's come out since 2004.

Man, I had no idea there was a PFF stock market game. I bet I would do awesome...

I solidly doubled my money from January to March. With some stocks, I got a 300-400% return... just didn't want to dump TOO much into those. (like Ford, for example).

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2010 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

Man, I had no idea there was a PFF stock market game. I bet I would do awesome...

I solidly doubled my money from January to March. With some stocks, I got a 300-400% return... just didn't want to dump TOO much into those. (like Ford, for example).

The current PFF MarketWatch Stock Market game ends at the end of this month. Too late to join this one, but a new one will begin shortly after that I guess--but if the current administrator doesn't start a new one, I will. Watch OT for a new thread about it. Hopefully, on the next one, there will be a stipulation regarding folks who join, then never buy equity or make a trade.

http://vse.marketwatch.com/Game/Homepage.aspx

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock