Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  22 Of America's Best Donuts, With Pictures!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

22 Of America's Best Donuts, With Pictures! by Boondawg
Started on: 11-07-2010 04:33 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: tbone42 on 11-09-2010 01:06 AM
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post11-07-2010 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
Peter Pan Bakery, Brooklyn

Looking for the ultimate ice cream sandwich? Look no further. This modest-size Polish bakery, in Brooklyn’s Greenpoint neighborhood, will slice a donut of your choice in half and stuff it with a generous scoop of ice cream. (They recommend the red velvet donut with strawberry ice cream.) The freshly made donuts are so good (perfectly chewy and just the right amount of glaze), 30 Rock’s Tina Fey gave Peter Pan her thumbs up in an Esquire interview. If you want your pick, get there early.

Voodoo Doughnut, Portland, OR

There’s a good reason Voodoo is such a huge hit with all donut fans: the Bacon Maple Bar. It’s a yeast donut topped with maple glaze and not one, but two strips of crisp bacon. Beyond that, much of Voodoo’s eclectic donut varieties can’t be found anywhere else. Not only are the toppings unique—bubblegum, cereal, or M&Ms, anyone?—but since the shop is in eco-friendly Portland, there’s even a series of vegan donut options.

Randy’s Donuts, Los Angeles

Most patrons swear by the face-size apple fritter served here, with its melt-in-your-mouth glaze and soft chunks of apple-cinnamon inside. The 32-foot donut adorning the roof of Randy’s—conveniently located minutes from Los Angeles International Airport—is like a beacon calling out to hungry commuters and weary travelers needing a sugary pick-me-up.

Spudnut Shop, Richland, WA

If you really want to make the most of your experience here, order your donut à la mode. The variety of toppings isn’t what makes these donuts special (because there aren’t many choices), but rather the main ingredient: potato flour. The result is a spudnut (do not call it a donut!) that will not only result in a much lighter treat but, according to the owners, immediately turn you into a regular (read: addicted) patron.

Bob’s Donut & Pastry Shop, San Francisco

You have to try the giant, cakey glazed donut that is literally the size of your head. (We can’t guarantee you’ll finish it all, but at least you’ll enjoy trying.) This old-fashioned spot serves up freshly made donuts 24 hours a day; go early in the morning for a guaranteed super-fresh batch. The staff—all of whom have a reputation for being just the right amount of sweet (much like the donuts)—only add to the experience.

Top Pot Doughnuts, Seattle

Keep it simple and opt for the Old Fashioned donut here, with delightfully thinner-than-normal crispy edges that give the donut a satisfying crunch. (In the fall, go for the pumpkin-flavored.) The shop took its name from an old neon sign the owners found and restored, which they used as inspiration: they prepare their donuts with a 1920s recipe. While we can’t claim to know the secret to their recipe, whatever it is, it works.

Sublime Doughnuts, Atlanta

Owner Kamal Grant shows up at 2 a.m. every day to start the donut-making process. And his Strawberry N Cream donut—an original-style donut stuffed with fresh strawberries and vanilla cream cheese—is a showstopper. (Think: strawberry cheesecake with a donut crust.) With top-notch ingredients and Grant’s hard-to-find passion for perfection, the resulting pastries are tasty works of art.

Stan’s Doughnuts, Westwood Village, CA

Stan’s occupies the same corner it has since it opened as The Corner Shoppe in 1965, and owner Stan Berman still comes in daily to make the same donuts that have kept his shop popular for the past 45 years. Here you can channel your inner Elvis and try out the glazed donut stuffed with peanut butter and banana. Or, if you’re feeling extra adventurous, go for the blueberry and cheese donut.

Bomboloni, New York City

The Crème Brûlée donut, with its slightly hardened, sugary outside and rich, creamy custard filling, is without a doubt the one to order if you have to choose just one. But why would you limit yourself? All of the donuts served at this small Italian pastry shop are bomboloni-style (think: supersize donut holes, injected with various fillings).

Kane’s Donuts, Saugus, MA

Sure, a plain, glazed donut is pretty standard, but Kane’s does it so well. Show up early to get it fresh and hot out of the fryer; the donut will melt in your mouth. From the outside, this shop looks like a house, but inside, it’s a cozy diner full of history: Kane’s has been serving the same donuts to this community just north of Boston for 55 years. While the flavors are pretty basic, the dough is rolled out and each donut cut by hand, helping give them that extra something. Be warned: if you show up after 10 a.m. on a weekend morning, prepare for slim pickings.

Café Du Monde, New Orleans

Yes, it’s heavily trafficked—but the fried squares of dough at this famous 24-hour eatery are not overrated. The only pastry served here is the beignet, served three to an order with heaping portions of powdered sugar. Don’t forget the beignet “surprise attack” tradition: catch your companions off guard by blowing powdered sugar at them.

Doughnut Plant, New York City

Evoke childhood lunch memories with the peanut butter and jelly–filled square donut at this New York City staple. (Or, if you want something a bit more decadent, order the Tres Leches donut.) The bakery, which makes its glazes fresh with in-season fruit, started in a tenement-building basement 16 years ago. It has since blossomed into a famous donut outlet (including nine locations in Tokyo). The owner, Mark Isreal, adapted his recipes from his grandfather’s.

Bouchon Bakery, Yountville, CA

Thomas Keller, of French Laundry fame, brings an air of refinement to the game with his brioche donuts. Try one stuffed with chocolate ganache and topped with dark chocolate frosting and dark chocolate–covered crispy rice; it’s more a dessert than breakfast food. Brioche isn’t something often seen in the world of donuts, but it helps give them a denser, buttery finish (in the best way possible). They’re only available, in limited quantities, on Saturdays and Sundays, so be sure to show up early if you want any chance at grabbing some.

Round Rock Donuts, Round Rock, TX

“Everything is bigger in Texas” rings as true as ever here, where the Texas Size Round Rock Donut is as big as your head. (Go ahead: try to eat it all—we dare you!) Founded in 1926, Round Rock is the oldest shop on our list—though the building itself is less than 10 years old; a 2001 fire destroyed the previous structure. To boot, it still uses the same recipe it started with more than 80 years ago. The shop opens at 4 a.m. daily, and yes, the lines do start to form that early.

Dynamo Donut and Coffee, San Francisco, CA

While the donuts aren’t made on-site—the shop is more of a walk-up counter—the unique donut creations are made daily by husband and wife duo Jonny Raglin and Sara Spearin and with locally sourced and organic ingredients, when available. The finished products are unique creations that look almost too good to eat. Almost…especially when it’s the Maple Glazed Bacon Apple donut, covered with a bacon fat maple glaze and topped with crispy bits of bacon.

Coffee An’ Donut Shop, Westport, CT

You don’t need to get fancy here. Enjoy the delightfully crispier-than-normal exterior of the plain donut, which is heavier and denser than average (this isn’t a bad thing!). But if you insist on something a little sweeter, try the coconut twist—if you’re lucky you’ll score one straight from the fryer. These donuts are so delicious, former President Bill Clinton—known for having a weakness for sweets—was said to regularly have them shipped to the White House.

Frosty’s Donut & Coffee Shop, Brunswick, ME

Frosty’s owners have been turning out incredibly light doughnuts with just the right amount of chewiness for 45 years. The glazed twists, made with locally sourced potato flour, are their main claim to fame. The mom-and-pop donut shop on Maine’s coast opens daily at 3 a.m., just in time for the fisher- and lobstermen to start their days. Don’t think for even a second that you can sleep in and still get your donut fix; come after 9 a.m., and chances are you’ll leave empty-handed…and hungry.

Nicola’s Donuts, Tampa, FL

If you’ve been blessed—or cursed, depending on how you look at it—with an insatiable sweet tooth, you may need one of Nicola’s candy-themed specialty donuts to curb your craving. Think: Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, Snickers, even Pixie Sticks. The shop opens at 5:30 a.m. but typically closes by 11 a.m. due to high demand, so we suggest either showing up early or calling the day before to stake your claim. Yes, you can actually do this.

Fractured Prune, Ocean City, MD

Just try to limit yourself to one donut after taking a look at the specialty options. We’re talking Strawberry Shortcake (strawberry glaze, graham cracker, and powdered sugar), Trail Mix (banana glaze, nuts, coconut, and jimmies), and Blueberry Hill (blueberry glaze and powdered sugar). Still not enough? Create your own donut, using any of the available toppings and glazes.

Mighty-O Donuts, Seattle

Vegans rejoice! Not only does this shop offer an array of interesting and unique donut flavors—like French Toast and Lemon Poppy—it also makes its donuts from 100 percent organic ingredients and without animal byproducts. There’s no need to worry about donuts running out: the shop keeps making these sweet treats until closing time (5 p.m.). Tip: if you show up at the end of the day, you may be able to score a discount.

Walton Donuts, Denver

Here, the Tigertail is where it’s at. Essentially a cinnamon roll that’s twisted instead of rolled, it comes with the extra bonus of chocolate devil’s food. If you’re looking for less of a caloric/sweet splurge, the sour cream old-fashioneds are not as sugary and have a satisfying crunch around the thin edges.

Old Fashioned Donuts, Chicago

These donuts are handmade every day—and in full view, whether you’re in the shop or just walking by. If seasonal is what you’re looking for, try the apple cider (in the fall) or blueberry (in the summer). But year-round, you must walk away with its claim-to-fame: the super-cinnamon apple fritter, stuffed with chunks of apple and topped with a generous glaze. You’ll need only one—it’s about the size of a baby’s head.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 11-07-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
You are a good man Boonie. I think I have been to that one in New Orleans, but not sure. If it was around in the 80's, then I'm pretty sure that's the one.

Jim
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

I would like to try Kane's, though.
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
I have had only one of those place`s donuts, Round Rock Doughnuts, and I have seen first hand about the long lines.
Mike
Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post
Reminds me of the Movie Friday after next and the holy moly doughnuts

Flamberge

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeDirect Link to This Post
Shipley's Chocolate Creme are the best donuts on in America. (Too bad they are no longer made by Americans.)
wikid_one

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2010 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wikid_oneSend a Private Message to wikid_oneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Fractured Prune, Ocean City, MD

Just try to limit yourself to one donut after taking a look at the specialty options. We’re talking Strawberry Shortcake (strawberry glaze, graham cracker, and powdered sugar), Trail Mix (banana glaze, nuts, coconut, and jimmies), and Blueberry Hill (blueberry glaze and powdered sugar). Still not enough? Create your own donut, using any of the available toppings and glazes.

Those are absolutely awesome. We get them every Monday to start our work week off right! There is absolutely nothing better that a nice warm, gooey donut to start your morning... well nothing that I'd share with 6 other dudes in a public place

------------------

FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2010 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Gained a lb just reading this thread!
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2010 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
I've been to Cafe DuMonde in New Orleans. I could walk there from the hotel I stayed at. I missed Frosty's in Brunswick...my late father-in-law, retired and moved to Brunswick in the late 70s and I made many trips there with his daughter for a visit..

[This message has been edited by Old Lar (edited 11-08-2010).]

InTheLead

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2010 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InTheLeadSend a Private Message to InTheLeadDirect Link to This Post
I guess I'm not cool I just like plain donuts with no toppings heh..
PFF
System Bot
wikid_one

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2010 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wikid_oneSend a Private Message to wikid_oneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by InTheLead:

I guess I'm not cool I just like plain donuts with no toppings heh..

You don't have to have toppings to enjoy a nice warm, fresh donut. After trying a fresh one Dunkin and Krispy Kreme just aren't the same.
SkinsFan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2010 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkinsFanSend a Private Message to SkinsFanDirect Link to This Post
x2 on The Fractured Prune, these things are awesome. We have on here in Salisbury too.
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2010 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
Make mine Mel-o-cream out of Springfield, Illinois!!
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2010 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpDirect Link to This Post
im right there with car nut i am from that springpatch and have to get a fix every time i go home to see my parents!
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2010 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
Uncle Jerry's Sweet Treats and More, New Carlisle OH.... they have homemade Ice Cream, too. Haven't been there in years.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock