Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Ford has a better idea. A new Police Interceptor. (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Ford has a better idea. A new Police Interceptor. by blackrams
Started on: 01-18-2011 07:43 PM
Replies: 65
Last post by: rogergarrison on 01-22-2011 11:33 AM
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

You cant beat a radio.....

Sort of correct. If you get far enough ahead they cant radio others to tell them where you are. Regardless of radio, police always tend to chase a bad guy at least once in every city in the US every day.
IP: Logged
Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Direct Link to This Post
Around here the Charger has not been too popular with police departments. I am not sure if it is the unibody, or the size, or just the fact that all the departments are set up to service the Crown Vics, with tons of parts and expertise on them.

I suspect Chevy's Carprice Interceptor that they are bringing over from Australia will get a lot of sales. It seems a little bigger than the Chargers, and is RWD (The AWD Taurus's I doubt are going to be popular with the front end drivetrain, and the added complexity and maintenance costs of the AWD drivetrain).

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fformula88:
I suspect Chevy's Carprice Interceptor that they are bringing over from Australia will get a lot of sales.

Lord I hope not, nothing against the Aussies but, I'm tired of seeing our tax dollars go to foreign countries.

At least it's not a Kia, Honda or Toyota or worse yet, a Saab.

Ron

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 01-20-2011).]

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Lord I hope not, nothing against the Aussies but, I'm tired of seeing our tax dollars go to foreign countries.

At least it's not a Kia, Honda or Toyota or worse yet, a Saab.

Ron

Unlike the Canadian built Charger?
If you want a car built in the U.S., try a Honda or BMW.
I believe the Taurus is made in the U.S. as well.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 01-20-2011).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Unlike the Canadian built Charger?
If you want a car built in the U.S., try a Honda or BMW.
I believe the Taurus is made in the U.S. as well.

Just goes to show you, we are doomed. Didn't know the Charger was built in Canada. Sure wish they'd join the republic, sure would make things easier.
But, I'm still pulling for the Taurus.

Ron
Flamberge

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeDirect Link to This Post
Very interesting thread!

About fifteen or twenty years ago Texas state troopers drove Camaros.

Here's a question I've always wondered, since we're talking about it. Pardon my ignorance in advance.

What defines a police car as a cruiser vs. an interceptor? Is the interceptor built for speed and freeway work (to "intercept")?

Also, are there other classes of police car?

I'm thinking cruiser and interceptor might be interchangeable phrases, and not specific cars that have differing performance/handling attributes.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Flamberge:

Very interesting thread!

Here's a question I've always wondered, since we're talking about it. Pardon my ignorance in advance.

What defines a police car as a cruiser vs. an interceptor? Is the interceptor built for speed and freeway work (to "intercept")?

I'm thinking cruiser and interceptor might be interchangeable phrases, and not specific cars that have differing performance/handling attributes.

Wish I knew the answer to that question. This is gonna keep me up all night.
Inquiring Minds want to know.

Ron
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Very interesting thread!

The Crown Victoria "P71" option package is actually called a "Police Interceptor." That's what it is... regardless if it's used by a meter maid, or a highway patrol officer.

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

Flamberge

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

The Crown Victoria "P71" option package is actually called a "Police Interceptor." That's what it is... regardless if it's used by a meter maid, or a highway patrol officer.

So what about a police cruiser? Just a term cops use? (Like, I left my coffee in the cruiser?)
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

So what about a police cruiser? Just a term cops use? (Like, I left my coffee in the cruiser?)

Yeah, I think so...

That said, I can't imagine anyone calling a Toyota Corolla police car a "cruiser"...

(I've seen one!)

------------------
Todd,

fieroguy123

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2011 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
Back when the whole GM/Chrysler "Bail-out" happened, the city of indianapolis purchased 500 toyota Camry's to replace our old worn out crown vics. This was a HOT topic for a while and the PD was extremely ridiculed for not buying american when the American car market was suffering most.
All of those cars ended up as debadged undercover cars and detective cruisers in an attempt to let the drama die. I see them around now and then.

We also have cops driving everything from Scion's, to a yellow 95' Firebird Formula, to an STI, and Chevy Tahoe's around here. There's nothing they don't drive anymore because they passed a law saying the cops could equip their own personal vehicles for police use. You never know what they'll be pulling you over in next!
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2011 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguy123:

Back when the whole GM/Chrysler "Bail-out" happened, the city of indianapolis purchased 500 toyota Camry's to replace our old worn out crown vics. This was a HOT topic for a while and the PD was extremely ridiculed for not buying american when the American car market was suffering most.
All of those cars ended up as debadged undercover cars and detective cruisers in an attempt to let the drama die. I see them around now and then.

We also have cops driving everything from Scion's, to a yellow 95' Firebird Formula, to an STI, and Chevy Tahoe's around here. There's nothing they don't drive anymore because they passed a law saying the cops could equip their own personal vehicles for police use. You never know what they'll be pulling you over in next!

Geeze... Toyota Camrys? I can't possibly think of anything less that would be totally unable to handle driving over curbs and embankments... maybe they use the SUV's for that kind of duty...

They must get trashed and have to have their front bumpers / chin spoilers changed regularly...

But man... Indianapolis? How could the town allow that?

------------------
Todd,

fieroguy123

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2011 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post

Geeze... Toyota Camrys? I can't possibly think of anything less that would be totally unable to handle driving over curbs and embankments... maybe they use the SUV's for that kind of duty...

They must get trashed and have to have their front bumpers / chin spoilers changed regularly...

But man... Indianapolis? How could the town allow that?

It was a simple thought, better fuel economy+better reliability= money saved. The public didn't see it that way. Our citizens were outraged and I'm pretty sure the PD paid the news channels to stop talking about it because it just fell off the air one day and was never brought up again.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2011 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
While Charger is assembled in Canada, I dont know where parts or subassemblies are made...maybe US. Regardless, LOTS of US employees work there on them. I do know the transmissions and brakes come from Germany and the Hemi engine is made in Mexico. If I remember right, the Taurus is completely built in Mexico too.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2011 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

While Charger is assembled in Canada, I dont know where parts or subassemblies are made...maybe US. Regardless, LOTS of US employees work there on them. I do know the transmissions and brakes come from Germany and the Hemi engine is made in Mexico. If I remember right, the Taurus is completely built in Mexico too.

The Taurus is made in Illinois, under UAW rule...

But pretty much everything else made by Ford is in Mexico. The Taurus would have been made in Mexico, but because of a huge push by Obama, and tons of tax breaks, they decided to keep production of the Taurus in IL.

The goal is to eventually move all production of Ford vehicles into Mexico and the southern "Right-To-Work" states. Once all affiliation with the UAW is disolved, then they hope to move back production into the US.

------------------
Todd,

Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 123
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2011 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
I hope no law enforcement agencies buy that car base on it getting the gas milage of a V6. It won't come close. In fact, I won't be surprised if it gets worse gas milage than a V8.

In my city, I swear the police and deputies have binary gas pedals. They are either parked and idling or driving flat out. Driving a turbo charged car in boost will result in very poor gas milage. Frankly, with that much horse power, the cops won't be able to help themselves. I expect to see a number of them wrapped around trees and in the ditch when it rains too.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2011 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

I don't think there's any official definition. It's a marketing term, like Ram Air.
That said, police cars have different configuration depending on if it's a city patrol or highway patrol car. City cars are typically geared lower for better off the line acceleration, but that hurts top end performance. Highway patrol cars will have higher gearing for better top speed. This is so either car will have the best acceleration for the environment it's in. That allows the officer to close the gap and pull someone over or end a chase more quickly.

A lot of city Crown Vics would have 3.55:1 rear gears, while I believe 3.27 was more common on the highway cars. Both are more performance oriented than the grandma 2.73:1 gearing the standard cars got.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2011 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Formula88

53788 posts
Member since Jan 2001

The goal is to eventually move all production of Ford vehicles into Mexico and the southern "Right-To-Work" states. Once all affiliation with the UAW is disolved, then they hope to move back production into the US.

Ford just gets better and better. Looks like they're going to be the one to watch in the 21st century.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2011 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

The Taurus is made in Illinois, under UAW rule...

But pretty much everything else made by Ford is in Mexico. The Taurus would have been made in Mexico, but because of a huge push by Obama, and tons of tax breaks, they decided to keep production of the Taurus in IL.

Historic Milestones
1914: Production begins in March; plant turns out 4,211 Model Ts
1924: Chicago Assembly moves to 11-acre plant at 12600 Torrence Avenue, Chicago
1942: Plant changes from civilian production to World War II production
1945: First civilian vehicle – 1946 Mercury Sedan – rolls off the line
1946: Ford and UAW sign contract making Ford employees, at $1.40 an hour, the highest paid auto employees
1962: Plant begins work on 44,000-square-foot expansion
1964: Second shift re-added; plant celebrates 50 years of production in Chicago, 40 years in the current plant
1977: A 36,000-square-foot addition is added, bringing plant's total size to more than 2 million square feet
1985: Production starts on Taurus and Sable after $205 million in plant renovations
1995: Plant undergoes $285 million renovation, gets 200,000-square-foot addition to help produce new Taurus / Sable
2004: Plant undergoes $400 million modernization that includes addition of a flexible body shop

http://media.ford.com/artic...cfm?article_id=30768

That plant has been open since 1914.

Want to know where your car was made?

http://www.nytimes.com/inte...9-auto-plants-4.html

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 01-21-2011).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2011 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Historic Milestones
1914: Production begins in March; plant turns out 4,211 Model Ts
1924: Chicago Assembly moves to 11-acre plant at 12600 Torrence Avenue, Chicago
1942: Plant changes from civilian production to World War II production
1945: First civilian vehicle – 1946 Mercury Sedan – rolls off the line
1946: Ford and UAW sign contract making Ford employees, at $1.40 an hour, the highest paid auto employees
1962: Plant begins work on 44,000-square-foot expansion
1964: Second shift re-added; plant celebrates 50 years of production in Chicago, 40 years in the current plant
1977: A 36,000-square-foot addition is added, bringing plant's total size to more than 2 million square feet
1985: Production starts on Taurus and Sable after $205 million in plant renovations
1995: Plant undergoes $285 million renovation, gets 200,000-square-foot addition to help produce new Taurus / Sable
2004: Plant undergoes $400 million modernization that includes addition of a flexible body shop

http://media.ford.com/artic...cfm?article_id=30768

That plant has been open since 1914.

Want to know where your car was made?

http://www.nytimes.com/inte...9-auto-plants-4.html

Steve

That's a neat website Steve...

It's going to change significantly in the next year when they update it. The Ford Ranger is going away, so is the Ford Escape... a couple of their other cars will be gone too.

A couple of those cars mentioned under Ford will also be moving to Mexico. They just spent several billion dollars right there on the border building several factories.

Personally, I've never owned a Ford Ranger before, but I think it's a shame that they're discontinuing it.

------------------
Todd,

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2011 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
A better list of where your Fords are made.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_assembly_plants

Where your GM’s are made

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_GM_factories

Where your Chryslers are made.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/i...embly+plants&button=

Honda only has 3 US plants

http://ezinearticles.com/?W...ars-Made?&id=2377756

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 01-21-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
NickD3.4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2011 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Direct Link to This Post
I have driven The Chevy Impala, Ford Crown Vic, and Ford Explorer on Patrol. I never had a charger assigned, but from everything I have seen in person from a another agency here that had them, I love them. Many of us would take the charger hands down over these other options.

they are roomy enough, but to be honest, ....their fun! I have been in many pursuits, and the other cars just don't have the balls sometimes.

A Taurus? com on.

Last true police car was the Chevy Caprice.

[This message has been edited by NickD3.4 (edited 01-21-2011).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2011 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NickD3.4:

I have driven The Chevy Impala, Ford Crown Vic, and Ford Explorer on Patrol. I had a charger assigned, but from everything I have seen in person from a another agency here that had them, I love them. Many of use would take the charger hands down over these other options.

A Taurus? com on.

Well, there's one qualified opinion from a LEO. Any others on the forum?

Ron
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2011 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by NickD3.4:

NickD3.4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2011 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

isn't it beautiful.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Roscoe P. Coletrain likes AMC Matadors. There great for catching big block Chargers......
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock