Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  diy concrete questions (my math ability sucks)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

diy concrete questions (my math ability sucks) by maryjane
Started on: 03-18-2011 10:19 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: User00013170 on 03-28-2011 04:59 PM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
I have a big pile of sand/gravel mix, with the supposed ratio being approx 3:1 sand to gravel. I need to mix up some concrete for a small project and I want to use this aggregate up before it washes away in spring rains, so I intend to mix it with type 1 portland cement at a 1 part cement/3 parts aggregate ratio. A thin pour, 2" thick--3 feet wide, a yet undetermined length. Not going to be a load bearing thing, just something to keep my feet dry. The thickness is not debatable.
My question is:

2" thick, 3 ft wide, how far (length) will each (one) bag of portland cement go, using 1 part cement to 3 parts aggregate? (ea bag is 91.6 lbs)
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
How many yards will your mix yeild you?
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
If I knew that, I could answer my own question.
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
A cubic foot of concrete weighs 150lbs. There are 27 cubic feet in one cubic yard

So maybe with your mix ratio your cubic foot would weigh maybe about 122lbs. depending on how much water is used.

So you might get 2/3 of a yard.
Got a clue on how much your aggrate weighs?

[This message has been edited by Indiana_resto_guy (edited 03-19-2011).]

cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:
.... using 1 part cement to 3 parts aggregate? (ea bag is 91.6 lbs)

Don, how much water are you gonna add ? I can't answer your question but think of cement/concrete as pancake batter.
If I am not mistaken, the bag which it comes in will give an approximate spread rate.
Fredbearstalksme

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FredbearstalksmeSend a Private Message to FredbearstalksmeDirect Link to This Post
Maryjane,

I used to pour a lot of concrete, and 1 cubic yard of concrete will cover 162 square feet at 2" thick, 81 square feet at 4" thick, 40.5 square feet at 8" thick, and 27 square feet at 12" thick. I've never had to mix bags of cement.

Hope this helps.

Fred
fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post03-19-2011 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
18 linear yards at 2x36 inches per cubic meter. At a 3 to 1 mix, you will use 1 bag cement for every 4.5 linear yards.
Nick
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-28-2011 05:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
So...you going ahead with this Don??
Nick
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-28-2011 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post

fierofetish

19173 posts
Member since Jul 2003

A cubic yard of concrete =75% aggregate and 25% cement in a 3 to1 mix ratio. a 112lb bag of cement = 1/5th cu yard or 20%...so roughly 1.25 sacks cement to cu yard of ballast. 1sq yard x 2inches thick of concrete =18 sq yards per cu yard= [1x(5/4)/18] bags of cement per square yardx2ins thick
Nick
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
It's done, or most of it anyway. Not sure I will do much more of it tho--the aggregate turned out having a LOT of "fines" in it, probably some fine clay, along with the sand, and turned into the gawd awfullest gummy mess ya ever saw when I mixed in the water. I wore out a shovel and 2 sets of shoulders getting it to mix to a spreadable, workable consistency. On top of that, the "gravel" was actually iron ore, took forever for me to get the dry raw cement mixed with the aggregate in a wheelbarrow, & I could only mix up about 1/4th sack of cement at a time--the stuff was HEAVY!! Took over 2 days for it to set up but it will be ok for what it is. 1 bag btw, made up about 12 linear ft, so you were pretty dang close in your math Nick---Thanks a bunch!!
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

It's done, or most of it anyway. Not sure I will do much more of it tho--the aggregate turned out having a LOT of "fines" in it, probably some fine clay, along with the sand, and turned into the gawd awfullest gummy mess ya ever saw when I mixed in the water. I wore out a shovel and 2 sets of shoulders getting it to mix to a spreadable, workable consistency. On top of that, the "gravel" was actually iron ore, took forever for me to get the dry raw cement mixed with the aggregate in a wheelbarrow, & I could only mix up about 1/4th sack of cement at a time--the stuff was HEAVY!! Took over 2 days for it to set up but it will be ok for what it is. 1 bag btw, made up about 12 linear ft, so you were pretty dang close in your math Nick---Thanks a bunch!!

That is why I just call the cement truck, well that and I don’t have the back for it any more. The time involved in mixing even bagged concrete is just not worth it.

Call the cement truck and they can pour how ever much you want. All you have to do is squeegee it.
They will even figure out how much it will take to fill the framework for your pad.
Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 03-28-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-28-2011 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Makes sense for somebody unable to physically mix the concrete themselves Steve...but look at it this way, for somebody who CAN
I don't know about in the USA, but a cubic metre of standard mix concrete costs 60 euros. Minimum order is half a truck. Don't want half a truck? Tough...you will still pay for half a truck, because that price has taken into consideration fuel, taxes, driver wages, waiting time, etc etc. And a half-truck load is the minimum PRICE they can work with to make it viable.
So, a half-truck load here is 3 cu metres. 180 euros plus taxes at 20%. 200 + euros.
Now, if I can pick up 2 cubic metres of ballast, and and 3 bags of cement for 55 euros...I would be paying myself 200+ euros minus 55 euros for doing the job instead of paying the company the extra 145+ euros!! For THAT amount, I could buy a cement mixer, get it delivered for free from the superstore, use it and then either keep it or sell it...or even hire it out to neighbours and friends

Nick

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 03-28-2011).]

User00013170

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post03-28-2011 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post
When you are done, come do my front stoop for me? it dissolved due to this winter. I get to do the same exact thing and was trying to figure it out too

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock