Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  How long do you keep a medical gaws on ater IV removal.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

How long do you keep a medical gaws on ater IV removal. by pontiackid86
Started on: 07-18-2011 03:51 AM
Replies: 12
Last post by: frontal lobe on 07-19-2011 10:50 AM
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 03:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Ok long story short I had to go to the ER tonight because i was throwing up bial and a little bit of blood (not even a drop).. had some work done and they determined I had some small stomach bug. But for the 1st time in 14 years they got the drop on me and stuck my arm with an IV.... Now how long should i leave this thing on for.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rmbrown09

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 04:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rmbrown09Send a Private Message to rmbrown09Direct Link to This Post
small IV gauze wrap is simply to ensure that bleeding doesn't happen after the needle is out. It's not really for prevention of infection. After about 5 minutes after it's out take off the gauze and but a bandaid on.

Had 3 IV's and I'm just now 20

[This message has been edited by rmbrown09 (edited 07-18-2011).]

twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
Oh gauze.

No spell check in thread titles, that's why I write them in the post, and copy/paste.

Brad
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post
Depending on how fast you heal anywhere between 5 and 30 minutes, usually. The new IV catheters are fairly small and should heal rather quick.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Till it rots off and/or begins to stink.

You let 'em put a slab of gauze on for a little IV prick? That'll be $188.79 just for that itsy bitsy piece of sterile (hopefully) cotton. You coulda just held your finger on it till the blood clotted and been just as well off--and not out near as much $$.

(lemee guess--while on a "rest period' down near the border a couple of weeks ago, you crossed the Rio and went to Boy's Town.)
boomme

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-18-2011 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for boommeSend a Private Message to boommeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

Oh gauze.

No spell check in thread titles, that's why I write them in the post, and copy/paste.

Brad

haha... but that was a good belly chuckle you gave me...

and I'm guessing you threw up bile? not bial - the only Bial I know of was the 1900's gerrman doctor Manfred Bial - and if you were throwing him up...you had more issues than nasty gauze.

[This message has been edited by boomme (edited 07-18-2011).]

Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
Dude....no offense to anyone here but this is a car forum. Wouldn't you think it would be better to ask the nurse that stuck you about this? You may have some kind of issue with your needle stick that no one here would be able to see or know about. Do you bleed like a stuck pig when you get poked? Do you have thin blood? Are you still bleeding? Does it hurt? If you are still holding the " gawz " in place you might want to call someone. Otherwise put a Band-aid on it.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Firefox:

Dude....no offense to anyone here but this is a car forum. Wouldn't you think it would be better to ask the nurse that stuck you about this? You may have some kind of issue with your needle stick that no one here would be able to see or know about. Do you bleed like a stuck pig when you get poked? Do you have thin blood? Are you still bleeding? Does it hurt? If you are still holding the " gawz " in place you might want to call someone. Otherwise put a Band-aid on it.

Oh Man, I've seen a stuck pig bleed, it ain't pretty. Well, unless you're making blood pudding from the leaking pig.
The end result is good ole pork chops. Yum.......................

Sorry, back to the topic at hand. Keep the gauze on as long as you like, eventually, it'll stink and you'll realize you could have pulled it off within minutes of it being applied.

------------------
Ron

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Rub some dirt on it and go back out side and play
FieroGT42

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Rub some dirt on it and go back out side and play

( Clicks the "Like" link )

Just brought someone back from a hospital an hour ago. Remove bandage from IV site after 2 hours.
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
So how heavy is that piece of equipment you handle there PK?

Brad
PFF
System Bot
Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
It's just a small truck......
frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

Ok long story short I had to go to the ER tonight because i was throwing up bial and a little bit of blood (not even a drop).. had some work done and they determined I had some small stomach bug. But for the 1st time in 14 years they got the drop on me and stuck my arm with an IV.... Now how long should i leave this thing on for.

Sorry you weren't feeling well. I hope you feel better today.

They just put the gauze on after the iv is taken out to keep a little pressure on the small puncture hole, and to soak up whatever little blood leaks. There is no magical amount of time to leave it on. 15 minutes? No need for longer than an hour, unless someone is on blood thinners. 5 minutes would be fine for some people.

If you take it off too soon, it would ooze a little blood and then you just put a band aid on it again.
Regarding simple stuff, I don't see any problem with people asking on this car forum. There are a LOT of topics where people have asked questions and got excellent advice. I think his asking us on this forum is a reflection of the confidence he has in this excellent community of helpful people, and he probably felt he would be treated better asking on here than he would asking a nurse.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock