Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  John Carter, Princess Dejah Thoris, And Tars Tarkas Finally Hits The Big Screen!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

John Carter, Princess Dejah Thoris, And Tars Tarkas Finally Hits The Big Screen! by Boondawg
Started on: 08-07-2011 11:23 AM
Replies: 22
Last post by: normsf on 03-13-2012 03:39 PM
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post08-07-2011 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
I posted sometime back about my love of the "John Carter ~ Warlord Of Mars" series of books.

*************************************************************************************
This Is An Archived Topic Originally Posted By Boondawg on 12-19-2004 ~ 08:18 PM
*************************************************************************************

All time favorite Science Fiction Writer?
Edgar Rice Burroughs.

You probibly best know him as the creator of Tarzan. But to me, his best works were his science fiction.
He started writing his Martian adventures in 1911, with the 11 books of the "John Carter - Warlord Of Mars" series:

A Princess of Mars
The Gods of Mars
The Warlord of Mars
Thuvia, Maid of Mars
The Chessmen of Mars
The Master Mind of Mars
A Fighting Man of Mars
Swords of Mars
Synthetic Men of Mars
Llana of Gathol
John Carter of Mars

The world of Barsoom (as the Martians call their planet):

"In eleven books Burroughs takes the reader all around the Red Planet (and even to Jupiter), while the action and excitement never let up. Take a trip down the sacred River Iss to the Valley Dor at Barsoom's south pole, but be warned ~ you might wind up the meal for a flesh-eating plant man! Visit the city of Manator, where the citizens play chess with live pieces ~ to the death. Pay your respects to Ras Thavas, the Master Mind of Mars, who will be happy to transplant your brain into the body of your choice ~ or maybe into the body of a giant ape! Rescue princesses from impenetrable fortresses, gallop across the sea bottoms of Barsoom astride your eight-legged thoat, or race through the thin air of Mars aboard your anti-gravity flier."

I REALLY do love his style of writing!
A small taste..................

Book 1 was called:
"A PRINCESS OF MARS"

by Edgar Rice Burroughs

CHAPTER I
ON THE ARIZONA HILLS
I am a very old man; how old I do not know. Possibly I am
a hundred, possibly more; but I cannot tell because I have
never aged as other men, nor do I remember any childhood.
So far as I can recollect I have always been a man, a man
of about thirty. I appear today as I did forty years and
more ago, and yet I feel that I cannot go on living forever;
that some day I shall die the real death from which there is
no resurrection. I do not know why I should fear death,
I who have died twice and am still alive; but yet I have the
same horror of it as you who have never died, and it is
because of this terror of death, I believe, that I am so
convinced of my mortality.

And because of this conviction I have determined to write
down the story of the interesting periods of my life and of
my death. I cannot explain the phenomena;I can only set
down here in the words of an ordinary soldier of fortune a
chronicle of the strange events that befell me during the ten
years that my dead body lay undiscovered in an Arizona
cave.

You can read the first book in the series online or download it here:
http://etext.lib.virginia.e.../public/BurPrin.html

Edgar Rice Burroughs also wrote a "Carson Napier Of Venus" series:

Pirates of Venus
Lost on Venus
Carson of Venus
Escape on Venus
The Wizard of Venus

The world of Amtor (as the Venusians call their planet):

"On your Amtorian travels, be careful when you enter the forests of Vepaja ~ home to targos and tharbans and bastos. Be on the lookout for klangan ~ the flying men of Amtor. If the Thorists capture you they might lock you up in the Room of Seven Doors; one door leads to freedom, the other six to certain death! Havatoo is a lovely city to visit, but only if you're perfect; if you fail their tests, the Havatooans will destroy you for the benefit of all humanity. If you manage to get out of Havatoo, try to avoid the neighboring city of Kormor ~ it's inhabited entirely by reanimated corpses (they make for very docile citizens) and the ruler of Kormor is always looking for new recruits!"

If you like the way "The Old Masters" used to craft science fiction, I urge you to give Edgar Rice Burroughs - "A Princess of Mars" a read.
I think you won't be dissapointed!

Well, the movie is finally being made!
We get to finally see Princess Dejah Thoris in the flesh!:

John Carter Movie Trailer:

P.S. When I tried to retreive my original post, I recieved this warning:

Cliff's gonna' get me!

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 08-07-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2011 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Finally another great author getting on the cellulose, or going digital nowadays. Not to mention not another remake...
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2011 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
VERY cool!
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2011 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
Never heard of it but it looks cool!
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2011 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
Looks awesome I'll have to check out those books.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2011 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
Getting them for the Kindle now.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-26-2012 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
It's here March 9!

1080p Trailer:
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2012 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2012 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
I have free tickets to see John Carter at the Premier Theater in Hollywood Studios on March 3. This is a special one day event for Annual Passholders and I was one of the lucky ones to get tickets.
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2012 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Saw it today. It was pretty good! We even got a movie poster at the preview.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 03-03-2012).]

Amethyst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2012 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmethystClick Here to visit Amethyst's HomePageSend a Private Message to AmethystDirect Link to This Post
Oh I so can't wait to see this!! I also have the books, so glad I kept them!! lol Don't know how difficult it would be to get a complete set...

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-03-2012 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Amethyst:

Oh I so can't wait to see this!! I also have the books, so glad I kept them!! lol Don't know how difficult it would be to get a complete set...

Me too.
I also have most of them in e-text.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2012 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
The artwork is pretty funny... who fights creatures in their "less than" bikini? Seriously! A warrior would have protective armor and places to store weapons!

Ok... back to sci-fi world now....
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2012 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
Just finished A Princess of Mars and am working on The Gods Of Mars Good stuff, considering it was written almost 100 years ago (1917).
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-04-2012 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

Just finished A Princess of Mars and am working on The Gods Of Mars Good stuff, considering it was written almost 100 years ago (1917).

For me, they got better as you go along.
His continuing adventures take him to see some pretty crazy stuff!
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-05-2012 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
Exclusive Ten Minute Scene:

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-13-2012 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
I just got back from seeing it in IMAX 3D.
Best movie I seen in a theater since Star Wars in 1987.

I am not even kidding.
I read the books as a kid, and for the first time in my life I can honestly say this movie might have been even better then the book.
Had the same style and followed the book pretty damn close.
And even improved on it somewhat!

There was only once in my life that I ever went back to a theater to see the same movie twice.
That was Star Wars.
And this is that kind of movie.

Very welldone indeed!
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2012 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
Tanked at the box office, though.. comparatively speaking. It pulled in over 30 mil in opening weekend, but took over 200 mil to make. I wonder if it wil break even at least?
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-13-2012 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tbone42:

Tanked at the box office, though.. comparatively speaking. It pulled in over 30 mil in opening weekend, but took over 200 mil to make. I wonder if it wil break even at least?

Well, it sure did look like a 200 million dollar movie!

I do not even care if it tanked.
It got made, so now it's a part of history.
And i'm very VERY ok with that!

I stand by my review and i'll fight any man that sez otherwise.
And Princess Dejah Thoris was suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper fine, just like she is 'sposed ta' be!
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2012 03:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Well, it sure did look like a 200 million dollar movie!

I do not even care if it tanked.
It got made, so now it's a part of history.
And i'm very VERY ok with that!

I stand by my review and i'll fight any man that sez otherwise.
And Princess Dejah Thoris was suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper fine, just like she is 'sposed ta' be!

Liz Taylor looked fine in "Cleopatra" too, but it never made a dime, But at least some of us got some enjoyment out of it.. glad you did. I probably won't see it until it comes in at the library because of how cheap I really am.

Growing up I read an author named Burroughs... but not this one.

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 03-13-2012).]

NEVERDONE

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2012 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEDirect Link to This Post
I went and watched this on saturday in 3d and I have to say...... I was really impressed! Not only did it NOT have any cuss words, or nudity, it was such a good story line. And it was very believable as well! I like to get involved in my movies and very few can do that but this one, yeah I got lost in it! I loved it and will definantly spend the money to buy it on blue-ray!
PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-13-2012 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
I want to say that the 3D was done very very well.
It added to the movie in such a way as to almost go unnoticed.

normsf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2012 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for normsfClick Here to visit normsf's HomePageSend a Private Message to normsfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tbone42:

Liz Taylor looked fine in "Cleopatra" too, but it never made a dime,.

Widely regarded as one of the biggest flops of all time, reality is quite different: the film made its money back despite the horrendous costs, but not all at once - it took several years. It was one of the highest grossing films of the 1960s. According to the late director Joseph L. Mankiewicz, many of the best scenes were cut and there are between 90 and 120 minutes of character development and story missing.

Adjusting for inflation, this is one of the most expensive movies ever made. Its budget of $44 million is equivalent to $297 million in 2007 dollars.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056937/trivia

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock