Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  The Best Real-Life Mars Movie Trailer You've Ever Seen! (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
The Best Real-Life Mars Movie Trailer You've Ever Seen! by Boondawg
Started on: 06-23-2012 10:45 PM
Replies: 49
Last post by: Formula88 on 08-27-2012 11:29 PM
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2012 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post
Please, I don't want this of all threads to turn political (although I see it's started as usual), but I was rather disappointed that the commentator in the last video felt he had to finish up by saying something negative at the 7:08 mark. That wasn't necessary at all IMO.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-08-2012).]

IP: Logged
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2012 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Please, I don't want to turn this of all threads political, but I was rather disappointed that the commentator in the last video felt he had to finish up by saying something negative starting at the 7:08 mark. That wasn't necessary at all IMO.

You might not like it, but politics DO matter in this. Remember, we Americans are paying for this with our taxes, and NASA's budget and agenda are pretty much set by Washington D.C.

That being said, I can think of few things more worthy of my tax dollars.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2012 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
You could also point out it's less than the cost of the Iraq War, or any number of other programs.
The comparison wasn't so much meant to say "ooh, Obama stimulus was so wasteful" to but point out, "damn, we've done all THIS for less than the cost of a 1 year stimulus package."

That's everything NASA has ever done, scientific research as well, not just the space program. Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, Shuttle, Skylab, International Space Station, multiple probes to all the planets and the sun... all of it for less than that 1 year spending package.

It's not to argue politics other than to point out how much NASA does for how little they get - how, IMO, even with the government overheads, we get a lot for what we spend on NASA.
I only say that because some people think because of the mighty things NASA has done, it's budget must be so much bigger than what it really is. That's all. No argument intended.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2012 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

You might not like it, but politics DO matter in this.

In this what... thread? Or the whole forum?

Seriously, some of you are SO full of hate that you can't even celebrate this fantastic achievement without taking a shot at the "other" side.

The forum is being poisoned continuously by this kind of political nonsense. I, and many others, are absolutely SICK of it.

All we got from Obama's stimulus was his paying back unions and cronies.

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2012 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Please, both of you let it go. It wasn't intended to start an argument but as long as each of you feel the need to respond to the other it will escalate.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2012 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Please, both of you let it go. It wasn't intended to start an argument but as long as each of you feel the need to respond to the other it will escalate.

OK.

Patrick, I won't continue here.

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2012 05:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post

Ho-ly S***! That really puts it into perspective. If ANY government spending stimulates and does good, it's space exploration.

And it's contracted to the lowest bidder.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2012 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:
And it's contracted to the lowest bidder.

Quite the conundrum, ain't it?

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2012 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
There are tons of different contractors for various parts of the space program.
Using Shuttle for example,
Rockwell designed the Space Shuttle Orbiter.
Pratt & Whitney did the Space Shuttle Main Engines
Lockheed did most of the post landing and pre-launch work testing and preparing each flight.
Morton-Thiokol did the Solid Rocket Boosters.

And tons of others. Currently there's the United Space Alliance, an LLC jointly owend by Lockheed and Boeing to provide contract work for most of NASA's work.
NASA actually does very little "in house." NASA engineers operate in an oversite and quality control role while the private contractors do the hands on work.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission...imedia/PIA16001.html
Pic from Mars Reconnissance Orbiter showing landing site of Curiosity and it's various EDL hardware.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2012 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock