Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  babylon toolbar, can't seem to remove it.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

babylon toolbar, can't seem to remove it. by twofatguys
Started on: 09-17-2012 06:20 PM
Replies: 17
Last post by: twofatguys on 09-21-2012 08:05 PM
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2012 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
Here is what I've done so far.

• Ran malwarebytes- didn't find it.

• Ran Spybot Search & Destroy- Found it, says it removed it. (each time)

• Went through the Registry and deleted all references to it.

• Ran Revo Uninstaller.

• Used FileASSASSIN

I ran all of these in safe mode, but even in safe mode my home page would be reset to babylon search. I've deleted firefox, and even downloaded Chrome, babylon was ready to go. Of course it's on IE Chrome, and FF. I bet if I downloaded safari it would place itself in there as well.

I need thoughts before I end up wiping an entire OS for one friggin virus. (I don't care if it is called "adware", if it can't be removed, and installs itself it's a virus.)

Any help appreciated.

Brad
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Celthora87GT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2012 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Celthora87GTSend a Private Message to Celthora87GTDirect Link to This Post
had the same problem.. just go to settings and totally reset your browser. it worked for me
DeV8er

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2012 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeV8erSend a Private Message to DeV8erDirect Link to This Post
I had something similar that was hiding in the system restore files. It would come back even without doing a system restore until I deleted those files.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2012 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistDirect Link to This Post
Did you try deseleting it from IE? (Toolbar)

System Restore?(If it's not a crippling virus, it may not have foobarred this)
Look for the install folder and restore it from a date prior to that...

Boot from a Linux CD and scan it?
Celthora87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2012 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Celthora87GTSend a Private Message to Celthora87GTDirect Link to This Post
Deleting the addon itself does nothing. I googled it and then there was a walkthrough on how to delete it.
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2012 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Celthora87GT:

had the same problem.. just go to settings and totally reset your browser. it worked for me

Right, but it's still in the system, and keeps reappearing regardless of what I do to it.

I also need to remove it from IE, (Chrome I can just remove), but it's where it will add itself to any browser I install.

Brad
Celthora87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2012 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Celthora87GTSend a Private Message to Celthora87GTDirect Link to This Post
hmmmm delete all browsers then run revo unistaller then reinstall a fresh copy from another computer on a flash drive?
TommyRocker

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2012 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post
My mom had this. I had to uninstall it in windows, then disable and uninstall it in the browser. Piece o cake. Look in the control panel for it under installed programs.
Babylon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2012 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BabylonClick Here to visit Babylon's HomePageSend a Private Message to BabylonDirect Link to This Post
Hey twofatguys

In order to Remove the Babylon toolbar click on the follow link:
http://support.babylon.com/...arch-the-web-babylon

Or Follow those instructions :

Go to Control Panel, click Programs (software).

Uninstall "Browser Manager" + "Bprotector" + "Object Installer" + "Babylon Toolbar on IE"

Then depending on which browser you use , follow the relevant steps:

----------------------Firefox ---------------------------

> Open a new Firefox window (website)

> Go to Tools> Options> and go to change your order, the Home. ( f.e www.google.de) and click OK.

> Remove the search engine of Babylon by clicking the small arrow next to the icon of Babylon

> Manage Search Engines

> select Babylon and Remove

> Close Firefox and open again

> write in the address Bar "about:config " and click Enter

> Write in the search engine "Babylon."

> Click on any 'Babylon' preferences with the right mouse button and select "Reset"

In the following video you can see how to change TAB URL :

Firefox - How to open a new tab to a specific website - YouTube

----------------------------- Chrome -------------------------------------------------

Open Google Chrome and click on the "wrench" icon:

Click> Settings , choose the option "Open a particular page or set of pages."

Click "Set Pages" on page Babylon and delete from the list.

To change the search engine in Google Chrome, please follow the instructions below:

Open Google Chrome on the "wrench" icon on the right side of the address bar, click:

Settings> Under "Search", click "Manage Search Engines ...".

If you see "Babylon Search" as a standard (default), select please another search engine as the default from (Google, Bing, etc.). Only then will you Babylon You can remove by clicking the little 'X'.

--------------------------------- Internet Explorer (IE) ------------ -------------------------------------

Open your Internet Explorer browser, click on "Tools", then "Internet Options" and in the section "Tabs" click on "Settings". It will open a new window, on the option "When a new tab is opened, open:" in the drop-down menu please choose "Your first homepage". Then click OK, Apply and OK.

for any further help or assistance feel free to contact us via :

Support@Babylon.com

or Chat with us at :

Babylon - http://support.babylon.com/...il=/_promptType=chat

Cheers
Babylon Support

------------------
Keeps it Simple

twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2012 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2012 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

"Keeps it simple" - Babylon Support
PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2012 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
You couldn't get me to click that link for a thousand bucks.
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2012 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
Google must have this site zeroed in.
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2012 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
I got it a while back and in IE I`m pretty sure that I did as the instructions above stated and got rid of it.
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2012 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

You couldn't get me to click that link for a thousand bucks.

They stuck adware on my computer that I had issues removing, even with the help from a guy in here that has a degree (and is dang good) in computer science. The download was form a website with a fake download that installed this crap on my computer with no warning whatsoever, and the item I was looking for wasn't even in the download. Avast went nuts as soon as I clicked "install", and I stopped it, and STILL had all these problems. I almost had to install a new OS becaue of this crap, and I still may as I simply have it "paused" and not actually removed yet, and they want me to click a GD link.

It would take a lot of sweet talking at least before I ever followed instructions from them. I only hope that Anon starts taking on dirtbags like this soon.

Brad
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2012 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post
Brad,

I totally got hit up by this earlier. I don't often get this type of stuff on my machines. I know where I got it and have corrected the issue. Though the all came off my system fairly easily.

I am burning a new copy of my Win7 disk and am going to format regardless. Sucks though because my copy of Win8 is at my shop and I'd love to test drive it, but not enough to go up there and bust my 10 day vacation.

------------------
Amber is the color of her energy.

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2012 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post

ls3mach

11604 posts
Member since Mar 2002

Originally posted by Babylon:

Hey twofatguys

In order to Remove the Babylon toolbar click on the follow link:
http://support.babylon.com/...arch-the-web-babylon

Or Follow those instructions :

Go to Control Panel, click Programs (software).

Uninstall "Browser Manager" + "Bprotector" + "Object Installer" + "Babylon Toolbar on IE"

Then depending on which browser you use , follow the relevant steps:

Holy poop, reading through the thread. What the hell is this crap? I really hope someone is trolling. AWESOME!!!
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2012 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
Heh, Scouts honor, after running through and manually removing this from my registry, and a few other places, I can still run spybot and it comes up with several instances of it. And it's not going away.

I've got it blocked to where it's not able to do anything ( I think ), but it's the T-1000 of crapware so far.

Brad

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock