Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall - Archive
  Single and Dual front hood strut kits FS (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Single and Dual front hood strut kits FS by sluppy123
Started on: 02-23-2003 12:44 AM
Replies: 88
Last post by: USFiero on 04-06-2006 10:49 AM
Mosinee88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2003 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mosinee88GTClick Here to visit Mosinee88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mosinee88GTDirect Link to This Post
Can two lower pressure struts be used in the dual strut setup so you don't have to hold the lid as it opens?

Ivan

------------------
Ivan Andrewjeski
88GT 3800sc

IP: Logged
87FieroGTx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2003 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroGTxClick Here to visit 87FieroGTx's HomePageSend a Private Message to 87FieroGTxDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mosinee88GT:

Can two lower pressure struts be used in the dual strut setup so you don't have to hold the lid as it opens?

Ivan

I was wondering the same thing. I got 2 struts tonight and they are SUPER hard to compress 1 seems like it would do the job easy and two would be overkill /shrug. I would also like to know if anyone knows a strut that's 1/2 the strength of these.

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2003 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post
Slup,
you have a PM...

------------------

SmoothFieroGT@Yahoo.com

sluppy123

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2003 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Direct Link to This Post
If anyone does find a strut with a lower pressure, I wouldn't use it with my kit. IT WILL NOT HOLD THE HOOD OPEN. A strong gas strut is needed because the angles/leverage involved requires the use of a high psi strut.
sqoach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2003 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post
I changed the set-up around, and I'm using a hood strut from a cadillac, I think. I had to mount the lower brace to the frame, because this strut is about 3" longer. I thought it would push up on the hood, but it doesn't seem to be, not much if any. And I'm hoping the hood hinge kit I got from Rodney will help, not allowing the hood to move as much.
I just didn't like the way the struts were pushing on the spare tire well, that's why I changed it.
87FieroGTx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2003 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroGTxClick Here to visit 87FieroGTx's HomePageSend a Private Message to 87FieroGTxDirect Link to This Post
How hard is it to close the hood with the dual struts? And how fast does it pop up?

I got a Firebird strut a few days ago and it's very very very hard to compress. I weigh 270 and if I push it against a wall it hardly compresses. Is this strut broke? Friend says it was new in box but 4 years old.

87FieroGTx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2003 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroGTxClick Here to visit 87FieroGTx's HomePageSend a Private Message to 87FieroGTxDirect Link to This Post

87FieroGTx

2630 posts
Member since Jun 2001

Originally posted by sluppy123:

If anyone does find a strut with a lower pressure, I wouldn't use it with my kit. IT WILL NOT HOLD THE HOOD OPEN. A strong gas strut is needed because the angles/leverage involved requires the use of a high psi strut.

If one hi psi strut holds it up wouldnt 2 lower psi struts work?

I'm just woried that the 2 high psi struts will be to much bet seeing that others have done it I guess it's ok.

87FieroGTx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2003 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroGTxClick Here to visit 87FieroGTx's HomePageSend a Private Message to 87FieroGTxDirect Link to This Post

87FieroGTx

2630 posts
Member since Jun 2001
Ok as I understand it with the single hi psi strut you mount it in one of the top holes. Right? and with the duals it goes in the bottum hole. Right?

So with 2 low psi struts you could put them in the mid hole same as single hi psi strut. Right?

Sorry for all the posts in a row

sluppy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2003 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Direct Link to This Post
I'm not going to say weather or not a lower psi strut will work, even If you mount it in a differant spot. I only use a single strut on my own car and it opens the hood quickly, but its still easy to close with one hand. The weight of the hood is more than enough to slam shut on it own.

The problem will be finding a lower psi strut that is the same length as the one I designed the kit around. Although sqoach used a longer strut and mounted it on the frame and says it's not flexing his hood. When I tried this it flexed the hood bad enough that is stuck up above the fenders.

sqoach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2003 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post

The problem will be finding a lower psi strut that is the same length as the one I designed the kit around. Although sqoach used a longer strut and mounted it on the frame and says it's not flexing his hood. When I tried this it flexed the hood bad enough that is stuck up above the fenders.

Well, either the strut got stronger, or this hood I have on here now is weaker than the other. It's bowing up the hood a little now. I had tested it first on my spare hood, and it was fine. I guess I just need to mess with it some more and see what I can come up with.

87FieroGTx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2003 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroGTxClick Here to visit 87FieroGTx's HomePageSend a Private Message to 87FieroGTxDirect Link to This Post
Hey, sluppy123 are you coming to Carlisle 2003? I would love to see these and poss buy a set if I like them.

If not is anyone who has them coming?

PFF
System Bot
rio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2003 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rioSend a Private Message to rioDirect Link to This Post
Hey there, do you have a kit for the decklid?
LMK via email: mrsecades@aol.com
derangedsheep

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2003 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for derangedsheepSend a Private Message to derangedsheepDirect Link to This Post
rio- rodney dickman sells them. www.rodneydickman.com
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2003 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Are these kits still available?

Sluppy123 you have a PM

Spiff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2003 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpiffClick Here to visit Spiff's HomePageSend a Private Message to SpiffDirect Link to This Post
Bump..

I want a dual set. Sluppy123 I sent you a PM.

------------------

1988 Fiero Formula T-Top # 1008 of 1252 (5 Spd White /Gray)
Click here to go to my Web site
Please use the Rating system accordingly

sluppy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2004 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Direct Link to This Post
I've been seeing alot of nice fieros that still have the ugly stock hood support, are you one of them??? Plus I have old stock I need to get rid of so I'm having a spring sale.

Price is now $25 shipped for the single strut kit and $35 shipped for the Dual strut kit(shipping outside the US will be more)

------------------
-Brian, Toolmaker
Lincoln, NE
Silver 87' GT- Turbo Charged/intercooled 2.8 V-6
Maroon 87' GT- 355 TPI V8, 5-speed

AnimalGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2004 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AnimalGTSend a Private Message to AnimalGTDirect Link to This Post
I've got a dual kit. It's very nice. Sluppy does great work.
FieroJuice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2004 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJuiceSend a Private Message to FieroJuiceDirect Link to This Post

I've been seeing alot of nice fieros that still have the ugly stock hood support, are you one of them??? Plus I have old stock I need to get rid of so I'm having a spring sale.

Price is now $25 shipped for the single strut kit and $35 shipped for the Dual strut kit(shipping outside the US will be more)

pm sent

------------------

www.FieroJuice.com. To order your own "SuperConsole": www.PontiacSound.com

turbo86se

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2004 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for turbo86seSend a Private Message to turbo86seDirect Link to This Post
pm sent too! how did I miss this?
Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2004 07:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post

Pm and email sent. Hope to hear from you soon.

sluppy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2004 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Direct Link to This Post
Up to the top for monday.
PFF
System Bot
FieroJuice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2004 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJuiceSend a Private Message to FieroJuiceDirect Link to This Post
Got mine in the mail today. Thanks, and a free bump for you.
FieroJuice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2004 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJuiceSend a Private Message to FieroJuiceDirect Link to This Post
Installed mine today, though I have to adjust it some cuz it has made the hood flex on the drivers side. How do I do that?

sluppy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2004 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroJuice:

Installed mine today, though I have to adjust it some cuz it has made the hood flex on the drivers side. How do I do that?

I would move both struts to the lowest holes on the brackets that are bolted to the hood, move them closer to the hinge. If you installed the rear brackets in the proper position the is no way the hood can be flexed, when closed the struts should be just about parallel with the hood.

LMK If this helps.

Unltd1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2004 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Unltd1Click Here to visit Unltd1's HomePageSend a Private Message to Unltd1Direct Link to This Post
Whoops

[This message has been edited by Unltd1 (edited 07-11-2004).]

musicman_L7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2005 04:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for musicman_L7Send a Private Message to musicman_L7Direct Link to This Post
I installed this today on my GT, and absolutely love it! It was surprising how much cleaner the front end looks, without the ugly prop-rod. I only installed the driver's side and it holds the hood with ease.

Well designed, and well worth the small investment.

------------------
Nic

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2005 06:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Are these still for sale or are there no more let? I guess I will send a Pm to find out.
Skratch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2005 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SkratchClick Here to visit Skratch's HomePageSend a Private Message to SkratchDirect Link to This Post
So are these still being sold?

I'd never seen this before and hate that stupid prop rod that comes on the car.
It gets in my way!

I'd love to get one of these if they are still being sold.

musicman_L7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2005 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for musicman_L7Send a Private Message to musicman_L7Direct Link to This Post
Brian (sluppy123) is a local friend of mine, and gave me a set of these for Christmas last year. I'm not sure if he still makes these or not, but try an email instead a PM, as he'll likely see that first.

Nic

Skratch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2005 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkratchClick Here to visit Skratch's HomePageSend a Private Message to SkratchDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, I sent him an email this afternoon.
sluppy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2005 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Direct Link to This Post
I'm still making and selling these kits.

The price is $25 shipped for the single strut kit and $35 shipped for the Dual strut kit, this is only for the brackets, hardware and install instructions. You will need to buy the gas strut that is specified in the instructions, the struts are
about $15ea from any parts store.

PFF
System Bot
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2005 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
nice setup.
i would have ordered a kit but my N2O bottle was empty so i couldn't do any testing with it so i just made my own.
so i wouldn't have to wait on the mail.
but here's a bump.
fiero67

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 107
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2006 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Direct Link to This Post
ttt, such a great design. Im starting mine today and thought Id bump this.

------------------

Project88GT build up thread

1986 Fiero GT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2006 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTDirect Link to This Post
These still available? I'll take a dual if so...
tharvey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2006 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tharveySend a Private Message to tharveyDirect Link to This Post
I would like a dual set up for my 86 gt please

thanks

tim

ceverhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2006 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ceverhartSend a Private Message to ceverhartDirect Link to This Post
I would like 2 single sets, drivers side mount. total shipped to 67514 please. I will pay via money order
Unltd1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2006 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Unltd1Click Here to visit Unltd1's HomePageSend a Private Message to Unltd1Direct Link to This Post
Has anyone emailed him to check if these are still available? (since it said email is better than PM earlier in the thread)

Sluppy if you happen to see this, I'm down for a dual..

-Darius

Saxman

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2006 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
I'm very interested, too. Please post if you hear from him!
Unltd1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2006 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Unltd1Click Here to visit Unltd1's HomePageSend a Private Message to Unltd1Direct Link to This Post
I just emailed him to let him know there was interest in these again.. I don't know if anyone else had emailed him...

and watch out for that

BUMP

-Darius

sluppy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2006 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Direct Link to This Post
I'm still making these parts, both the Dual and single kits are available.

Anyone intersted in a kit please PM me and I will send Payment information.

------------------

Silver 87' GT- Turbo Charged/intercooled 2.8 V-6
Maroon 87' GT- 355 TPI V8, 5-speed
Maroon 88' Coupe- 3800sc, 4spd auto

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave