Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Headlight motor rebuild...Now with Delayed Action. Help?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Headlight motor rebuild...Now with Delayed Action. Help? by dayv27
Started on: 09-19-2021 04:48 PM
Replies: 11 (373 views)
Last post by: buddycraigg on 11-02-2021 10:38 PM
dayv27

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2021 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dayv27Send a Private Message to dayv27Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Opened up the headlight motor (Passenger side) and had this:

Rebuilt using Rodney's kit, and got it all put back together and now I get this:
https://photos.smugmug.com/...0/i-L86W74h-1280.mp4

Why am I getting a delay in opening and closing? The "clunk" on the driver's side has been there since I bought it, and I haven't touched that one at all yet, but why would the passenger side delay so much on both opening and closing?

And now, the motor is hot to the touch after sitting untouched for a while.

yes, I disconnected the battery again.

Thanks to buddycraigg for his how to video for some clarifications on the actual re-build.

[This message has been edited by dayv27 (edited 09-19-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2021 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're wise to disconnect power if the motor is getting hot, but no need to disconnect the battery and kill the ECM memory. Just unplug the single wire going to the motor.

Many believe the headlights are supposed to be in sync, but truth is, they're each on their own circuit from the isolation relay. A little resistance can make one slower than the other. But, I've never seen one with that much delay.

If the motor is getting hot then there is power still going to it. That means the limiter switch isn't opening the points at the end of travel. I would suggest you take the motor out and look up underneath the knob to see if the rubber weather seal is visible. If it is, you need to disassemble the motor and put it into its cavity in the top of the motor case. See my article at http://gafiero.org on the Message Board, Club News, 2021 Newsletters, April edition. Refurbishing Generation 1 Headlight Motors.
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2021 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2021 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
⚠️ Warning:
Gen1 motors get hot when the motor(s) have problems w/ the limit switches.
Motor shaft climbs up/down the bottom gear at End of Travel or assemble is jammed and activate a limit switch shutting off power.
WHEN that fails, The motor, relays and wiring gets over heated and over loaded and cycles auto breaker in the motor.
That can kill the battery to cause a car fire.

Delay issue is likely part of same problem and/or have jam problems after pulling HL lift assembly.

Disconnect Both motor plugs when you have electric problems.
Pulling 1 wire plug is only meant to disable motor closing doors in freezing weather or other mechanical problems.

"Rebuilding" HL motors right are harder then posted all over the place not just on PFF.
Bad news is only option because no-one makes new Gen1 motors unlike you can buy New Gen2 motors from Cardone etc.
Could upgrade to gen2 but getting the Control Box and wiring is getting harder to find too.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

dayv27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2021 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dayv27Send a Private Message to dayv27Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Took it apart again, and yes, I had the upper rubber D ring seal misplaced. So I re-did everything again, and it ran much smoother. But still having the delay issues, and the manual knob is still twitching. Watching some of the videos I did tells me that this means something is still not allowing the limit switch to trip, but I'm at a loss of what I can move/wiggle/change inside. The brushes on the motor are still thick and in great shape.

Thoughts?
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2021 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dayv27:

Took it apart again, and yes, I had the upper rubber D ring seal misplaced. So I re-did everything again, and it ran much smoother. But still having the delay issues, and the manual knob is still twitching. Watching some of the videos I did tells me that this means something is still not allowing the limit switch to trip, but I'm at a loss of what I can move/wiggle/change inside. The brushes on the motor are still thick and in great shape.

Thoughts?

There is no limit switch on the Gen II motors. What happens is that when the lift hits maximum position the surge in the stall current draw trips the power via the headlight motor module. It sounds as though the motor power is not being disconnected.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2021 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Davy27, raise the headlight with the hood open. Then lower the hood to the center catch point. There are two teflon rub strips on the bottom of the headlight door. The headlight assembly should be contacting those rub strips equally and make contact at the same time if you move the hood up and down. You can adjust the angle of the headlight assembly to accomplish this. They should be centered on the rub strips, too.
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2021 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dayv27:
and the manual knob is still twitching.

The motor is not actually making the limit switches snap to their open positions.
I love Rodney for him selling products to us.
I never used his rubber bumpers when I rebuilt a motor with the gear kit. I filled the void with JB weld.

You only have to unplug the blue wire to stop the down motion of the motor so that will stop your battery drain.

As far as the delay, swap the motor relay with each other and see if the problem stays on that side.
Then report back.
dayv27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2021 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dayv27Send a Private Message to dayv27Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

The motor is not actually making the limit switches snap to their open positions.
I love Rodney for him selling products to us.
I never used his rubber bumpers when I rebuilt a motor with the gear kit. I filled the void with JB weld.

You only have to unplug the blue wire to stop the down motion of the motor so that will stop your battery drain.

As far as the delay, swap the motor relay with each other and see if the problem stays on that side.
Then report back.

BuddyCraigg,
Welcome back!
First off, your's was the first video I found and went to when I had the issue, so thank you.

I was able to get new motors (set) from Fiero Factory and just replaced both.

So the headlights are no longer the major issue, I've moved on to thermostats, lack there of, new one installed and over heating instead of underheating.

These cars are fun!!!
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2021 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the welcome back.

I'm glad my videos helped with your headlight problems.
I hope someone has made some better versions. I did that with a VHS camera and the quality is horrible by today's standards.

Start a new thread about your heating problem and we can tell you how to fill your coolant system, and other people can read it.
dayv27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2021 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dayv27Send a Private Message to dayv27Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

Thank you for the welcome back.

I'm glad my videos helped with your headlight problems.
I hope someone has made some better versions. I did that with a VHS camera and the quality is horrible by today's standards.

Start a new thread about your heating problem and we can tell you how to fill your coolant system, and other people can read it.

I did:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/099942.html

May have needed to go in tech instead of general, but it's there.
PFF
System Bot
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2021 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nope.
there is not a post from you in the "tech" forum about your heating issue.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock