Started on: 12-12-2021 09:12 PM
Replies: 21 (846 views)
Last post by: TXGOOD on 03-16-2022 11:26 AM
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2021 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got my swap done a couple of months ago.
I took a chance with not having but a few miles on it to take it on a 1K mile trip
for Ruckus at the end of October.
It ran great except I had to replace the radiator fan and I had some sort of problem with fuel delivery for just a few miles.
It`s been running great ever since.
I`m just going to replace the exhaust system as I`m not happy with it.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
str8maxn

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2021 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for str8maxnSend a Private Message to str8maxnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice ride...
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2021 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's a very clean and tidy install!

Great work!
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2021 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, appreciate it.
ace5514

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2021 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks Great! Every time i see one of these swaps, it reminds me of how badly I want one...Then I remember I need to finish the body and interior work before I rip anything else apart.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2021 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice job but I wonder why the PCV valve location has a long tube over it. Typically the 3800SC swaps have a very short exhaust system w no CAT and they can be loud.. If you are not happy with the exhaust sound because of the drone, try a Spintech crossflow muffler. Its not exactly quiet but it has the lowest tone of any of the mufflers that we've tried. I would advise not using the Flotech Afterburner crossflow. That muffler is very loud.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2021 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Very nice job but I wonder why the PCV valve location has a long tube over it. Typically the 3800SC swaps have a very short exhaust system w no CAT and they can be loud.. If you are not happy with the exhaust sound because of the drone, try a Spintech crossflow muffler. Its not exactly quiet but it has the lowest tone of any of the mufflers that we've tried. I would advise not using the Flotech Afterburner crossflow. That muffler is very loud.

That tube is fake.
I closed off the port that was on the exhaust manifold and just stuck that tube on so it looks like it
might do something for inspection.
Not needed as they didn`t even open the decklid when they inspected it.
The muffler on it is a spintek.
It`s the exhaust system that was on my 86 GT but I don`t know if the fire that it was in damaged it or what
but it doesn`t sound the same.
Plus I had to bend the left side outlet down because the system doesn`t fit on my coupe as it did on my GT.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2022 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got my new exhaust in. Excuse my crappy welds. Stainless steel is probably not the best thing to learn on. Especially
flux core. The ones on the flex piece and the muffler are pretty good but I didn`t do them. An exhaust guy did.

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 01-30-2022).]

TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2022 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After driving with the new exhaust I don`t mind the regular driving but it drones quite a bit on the highway.
This is a 3800 swap and I was thinking of trying one of those stainless cone baffles in the downpipe of the
exhaust right after the flange on the exhaust manifold.
I don`t have much of a choice considering it has the dual outlets that aren`t very deep to allow a baffle to go in there.
Appreciation of any options anyone knows of.
Thanks
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2022 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe you can try a resonator setup.

Look here for a writeup:
https://wilhelmraceworks.com/blog/killing-drone

Fieroguru is working on a resonator for his car:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/...000123-45.html#p1771
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2022 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wrapping the entire exhaust, including the muffler, with header wrap helps reduce the drone.

PFF
System Bot
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2022 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, I may try silencers in the tips.
I really don`t want to wrap the exhaust because of it being stainless, plus I had the exhaust manifiolds
ceramic coated to stay away from header wrap.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2022 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We've tried the silencer cones, stuffed them with steel wool, inverted the cones.....they don't help much.

Wrapping the exhaust did more for the drone than anything else.

The best system we've found involved two Jones turbo tubes split from the rear manifold, on for each tip. No drone, and it didn't sound like a 4.3 pickup truck with a hole in the exhaust like most 3800 cars.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2022 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got a stainless steel cone baffle from Summit and it seems to work pretty well.
I haven`t taken the car on the highway but just idleing and reving it up the exhaust has a more
tuned sound without that harshness. I installed it just inside the downpipe.

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 02-10-2022).]

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2022 03:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The l67 isn't known for sounding any good i wouldn't worry too much as it won't sound like other motors.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2022 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:
Wrapping the exhaust did more for the drone than anything else.

That what we found out after we even tried exhaust tip resonators. Made a huge difference.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

weaselbeak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2022 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is no reason that I know of for exhaust wrap to be a problem with stainless. I have a short section of stainless that has been under wrap for over a dozen years. I wrap stainless custom pipes on motorcycles without issues as well.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2022 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was finally able to pull my front springs yesterday afternoon and took a 1/2 coil out of the left side and 5/8 coil out of the right side, as it sat a bit taller than the left side.
I`m pleased with the front height now.
Newbfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2022 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NewbfieroSend a Private Message to NewbfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice looking ride 👍 Rob
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2022 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Newbfiero:

Nice looking ride 👍 Rob

Thanks
Quad GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2022 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use to have supertrapp tips on my Quad 4 swap which were my only mufflers and they worked great. Im sure if you add them they will reduce the drone a lot.

https://supertrapp.com/shop...ersal/auto-s-c-elite
PFF
System Bot
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2022 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Quad GT:

I use to have supertrapp tips on my Quad 4 swap which were my only mufflers and they worked great. Im sure if you add them they will reduce the drone a lot.

https://supertrapp.com/shop...ersal/auto-s-c-elite

I knew someone who used those.
The problem is the way that the muffler was oriented I barely had enough room to install 9" long tips without them sticking way out the back.
With the Jones muffler I have ordered you can weld the muffler inlet where it tucks the outlets further toward the engine so there is more room for
longer tips. I like the tips that I used on the stainless but the muffler was a straight through design which I should have known would be loud.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock