Started on: 01-17-2022 07:59 AM
Replies: 29 (991 views)
Last post by: cam-a-lot on 04-19-2022 06:29 AM
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2022 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello

It is time for me to order new wheels for my 88, as they were damaged when hitting a deep pothole and can't be fixed

Currently I am running low profile 18" tires, but will likely switch to 17" for a more comfortable ride

I saw an old picture of a nice yellow 88. Does anyone know what make and model these wheels are? I am looking for something like this, or similar

[This message has been edited by cam-a-lot (edited 01-17-2022).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2022 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know what wheels those are, but just wanted to tell you to try to keep your wheel/tire package as light as possible...unsprung/rotating mass makes a big difference in how your car performs. I eliminated 6 lbs off each front and 3 lbs off each rear for a total of 18 lbs- the car drove better in every way (Ride, handling feel and actual performance)

You can go to Tirerack, then punch in your car (88 Fiero) but it may show you more options if you punch in 2002 Subaru WRX- same lug pattern and bigger offset- which actually helps with how the car drives. You should get a larger offset up front- but the rear needs less; that can be addressed with an aluminum spacer (You may need longer lugs on the rear)

If you go with a "WRX" wheel, you may need to get the proper hub-centric rings so they fit your hubs. Fiero is 57.1 mm while the Subarus are 56.1.

I actually went with 16 x 7 wheels on my 85 w/88 rear...38 mm offset- they work great, and I went with General G-Max tires sizes 205/55 and 225/55- these sizes were used on a bunch of cars in the 90s so there are a lot of options. The G-max tires rate very highly and are a few pounds lighter than most others- and they're a bit less expensive.

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 01-17-2022).]

Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2022 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They look like Privat Profil wheels.
Chris_narf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2022 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_narfSend a Private Message to Chris_narfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm also getting wheels & tires for my 88, with an extreme focus on weight and the good ability to replace the rim in the future if it nails a pothole (no clearance specials). I tried to go the stock route, but stock 88 wheel availability in good condition is a problem. <sigh>
- Enkie RPF1 16x7, 35mm offset @ 13.7lbs each
- Continental ExtremeContact DWS Plus 205/55/16 @ 20lbs each

I looked at the General G-Max, but I'm seeing different weights of 19-21lbs for the same fitment? The looked okay, maybe a bit sketchy in snow, but they are about $30 cheaper per tire.

Also... if anyone is interested in a set of 15" steel wheels used for my Fiero snow tire setup in Kansas City, let me know.

------------------
-Chris
'85 V6 SE 4sp (SOLD)
'88 GT - Series 3 SC3800 w/ 3.5" pulley, 1.8" rockers, 3" exhaust, 3.5" intake, 3.29 gearing. Installed and tuned by Sinister Performance
'99 Kawasaki Vulcan 500, owned since new
'09 G37x Sedan w/ Premium & Nav (wife's car)
'14 Yamaha FJR - 0-60 in 2.8s w/ 34MPG!!!

cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2022 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the replies

Any guesses as to the brand/type of wheels shown in the post? Just love the look of the wheels on that yellow GT
David Hambleton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2022 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tom Slick:

They look like Privat Profil wheels.

[This message has been edited by David Hambleton (edited 01-21-2022).]

cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2022 06:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Dave/ Tom

I can't find a link to view or purchase them. Where did you find the pic?

thanks

[This message has been edited by cam-a-lot (edited 01-22-2022).]

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2022 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I googled Privat Profil wheels and the pic showed up but I didn't find that model available to purchase at any of the links that were shown.
AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2022 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Privat Wheels is a sub-brand of Konig. You can still find some Privat wheels at Discount Tire Direct but it appears that this wheel is no longer available. I also looked through the entire 2021 Konig catalog and there is nothing that is really similar to it. Best I can tell is that this wheel was available circa 2016.

------------------
SCCA Autocrosser.
'21 Hyundai Veloster N (D-Street)
'04 Mazda RX8 (Street-Touring Extreme)
My former Fiero- '88 GT- 3800 Turbo 11.367@121.03mph (Sold)
GM Tuners

[This message has been edited by AkursedX (edited 01-23-2022).]

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2022 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Konig seems to treat wheels like the fashion of the season; introduces new models often, and discontinues wheels quickly.

I wouldn't buy Konig wheels, because if you ever need a spare down the road, you'll be SOL.

Of course, other brands have no long-term supply guarantees either, but Konig seems to stand out as being among the worst.

Popular wheels that have been in stable production for some time (such as Enkei RPF1) are probably a good bet with regards to future availability.
cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2022 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

Konig seems to treat wheels like the fashion of the season; introduces new models often, and discontinues wheels quickly.

I wouldn't buy Konig wheels, because if you ever need a spare down the road, you'll be SOL.

Of course, other brands have no long-term supply guarantees either, but Konig seems to stand out as being among the worst.

Popular wheels that have been in stable production for some time (such as Enkei RPF1) are probably a good bet with regards to future availability.

Good point, thanks. It looks like I won't be able to find the Konig ones

The Enkei RPF1 looks nice actually. Hopefully I can figure out which 17" version has the correct offset for front and back of an 88.

PFF
System Bot
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2022 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A lot depends on what width wheel- and tire- you go with. The wider the tire and wheel, the more offset you want. Stock, the 88 had 37 mm offset up front....My 1985 would have had 30 mm, and my new 16 x 7 wheels are at 38 mm....This actually improved steering effort while cutting back on kickback....If you look at my car, the front wheels do not look "Sucked in"....that 7 mm difference equals approx' 1/4".

I would try to get as much inset as possible for the front; 40-45 mm would be very good. As far as the wheels mounted on the rear, (Which originally had only 30 mm offset), That 40-45 would be somewhat problematic. But it is easy to install spacers on the rear (You may have to install longer lug bolts)

The spacer and longer bolts should add less than a pound...and weight is not as critical on the rear.

Also, I have always done this with mounting tires on wheels; I would go with same width wheels but a wider rear tire...On the front the tire is "Tight" so you get good steering response and feel, while on the rear, where such is not as critical, you get added traction from the extra width tires. I have done this on my '72 Comet, '99 Firebird Formula and '73 mach 1...works very well.

On tirerack, they show very little for Fieros, but you can instead punch in 2002 Subaru WRX and 2018 Subaru BRZ. Same lug pattern but more offset. the only limitation is that the Subs have a smaller hub hole. But if the wheel is Hubcentricly mounted, that center hole will be larger and you just need the proper adapters (Possibly explain to Tirerack and they can include proper rings)

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 01-24-2022).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2022 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My favorite combination for an 88 is 17x8, 35mm in the rear. 17x7, 38-48mm in the front.

For fronts, I search out Subaru Impreza, and for rears I search out the 1st gen VW New Beetle.

Edited by request.
From another thread...
1993-2009 Subaru Impreza
2002-2009 Subaru Impreza WRX
2003-2004 Subaru Impreza STI
2010-2011 Subaru Impreza 2.5
2010 Subaru Impreza WRX

1998-2010 Volkswagen Beetle
1998-2009 Volkswagen Beetle turbo

Please verify specs. YMMV.

2nd Edit...
You can find wheels of most any size, offset, and bolt circle by searching on ebay. For example, I usually enter 17x 35 5x100 for 17" wheels with a 35mm offset, in our bolt circle.
You'll get pages and pages of results. If you see a wheel that you like, you can enter the brand name or model to the search parameters, to narrow down the selection. Change the width and offset as needed. (There are lots of offset options. It'll take a while to go through them all.)
The trick is finding the same wheel with staggered widths and offsets. But it *is* possible.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 01-30-2022).]

cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2022 06:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone for your advice. I appreciate it

What size centric rings are appropriate for 88 Fiero to use with aftermarket wheels ?
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2022 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

Thanks everyone for your advice. I appreciate it

What size centric rings are appropriate for 88 Fiero to use with aftermarket wheels ?

57.1 mm
(The one "gotcha" with Subaru factory wheels, is that they're only 56.1 mm. They'll have to be bored out by a mm. Toyota wheels are similar.)
Most aftermarket wheels are around 72(?)mm, and use the appropriate hubcentric ring.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 01-25-2022).]

cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2022 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like I was able to find a decent deal on Enkei RPF1 here in Canada- suprisingly cheaper than ordering them from Tire Rack in the USA

Decided to go with 17" instead of 18" like my last set. I am hoping that with the 17" wheels, I can fit a higher profile tire to help with ride quality a bit

Attached is the order I am about to place. I know that I have to use centering rings on one set, and bore out the center hole by 1mm on the other set.

Besides that, can anyone confirm that these should fit an 88?

thanks

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2022 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Attached is the order I am about to place. I know that I have to use centering rings on one set, and bore out the center hole by 1mm on the other set.

Besides that, can anyone confirm that these should fit an 88?

thanks

They'll fit. I think you'll be quite satisfied.
I have the same sizes and rear offsets on both of my 88s.
The fronts are the same size. One with 38mm offset, the other with 48mm offset.
Both look okay. You're going to be just about in the middle of the two, so you should be golden.

Here's the 48mm fronts.

Here's the 38mm fronts.

My tires are 215/45-17 and 235/45-17 front and rear. The ride is fine, even with cut springs (~1 coil) and poly everywhere.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 01-30-2022).]

cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2022 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would like to give a "shout out" to Raydar. He has gone above and beyond.. for a complete stranger... to help me understand how wheels are sized and how they work

Much like RWDPLZ and Fieroguru- great people who offer advice and knowledge to dummies like me.

Thanks guys, without you, my shitty old car would have died a long time ago. And I love my shitty old car..... brings a smile to my face every time I drive it on a summer night

Thank you

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2022 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! Didn't see that coming. But thanks!
I've received a great deal of free (and priceless) advice - on this forum and elsewhere - over the years.
Best I can do is pay it forward. Some of the time, I even get it right.
cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2022 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well..my saga continues. Enkei doesn't seem to make the offsets anymore that I wanted, so the order was cancelled

I used to have an 88 years ago with ASA AR1 wheels on it, and they looked nice.

Can someone chime in with pictures if you have these wheels on an 88, and let me know what tire/wheel offset combo was used?

I plan to go with 17" wheels , as the 18" forced me to go with very low profile tires, and the ride quality was not great

Here is an old For Sale thread from Fiero Tom. Anyone disagree that this is a good offset to go with?

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/069696.html

thanks!

[This message has been edited by cam-a-lot (edited 04-03-2022).]

Skybax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2022 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looks like I was able to find a decent deal on Enkei RPF1

Those are really sharp, I had them on my Fiero...

PFF
System Bot
Skybax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2022 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well..my saga continues. Enkei doesn't seem to make the offsets anymore that I wanted, so the order was cancelled

Damn!
Skybax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2022 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Skybax

2384 posts
Member since Jun 2003

I used to have an 88 years ago with ASA AR1 wheels on it, and they looked nice.

Can someone chime in with pictures if you have these wheels on an 88, and let me know what tire/wheel offset combo was used?

I plan to go with 17" wheels , as the 18" forced me to go with very low profile tires, and the ride quality was not great

Here is an old For Sale thread from Fiero Tom. Anyone disagree that this is a good offset to go with?

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/069696.html

thanks!

That seems right on spec, because you want 48mm to 52mm offset in the front of an 88 and the rear between 30mm and 35mm with those wheel/tire sizes, but please double check the math with tire/wheel calculator and get second option.

A_Lonely_Potato

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2022 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for A_Lonely_PotatoSend a Private Message to A_Lonely_PotatoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Skybax:

Those are really sharp, I had them on my Fiero...

What car is that in the background? I feel like i should recognize that front end
Skybax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2022 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
RX7
cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2022 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks

Anyone else with ASA AR1 pictures, including wheel width and offset into? Would like to see how much it sticks out in the front

Would prefer a wheel that lines up with front fender, but doesn't stick further out
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2022 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go to ebay and search 17x 5x100 drag

Drag has some wheels that are 17x7 / 40mm, and 17x8 / 35mm
You might have to contact vendors to buy half sets, or whatever. But they're out there.
Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2022 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The wheels on the Yellow Fiero are HP Racing HPR-5 wheels

------------------
88 Formula - 3800SC/4t65eHD
88 Coupe - 3800SC/4t65eHD
87GT - Great Blue Chop Top

cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2022 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rare87GT:

The wheels on the Yellow Fiero are HP Racing HPR-5 wheels

Thanks. Unfortunately these wheels seem impossible to find...

cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2022 06:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Go to ebay and search 17x 5x100 drag

Drag has some wheels that are 17x7 / 40mm, and 17x8 / 35mm
You might have to contact vendors to buy half sets, or whatever. But they're out there.

Thanks Raydar. Could not find any that are the same wheeel in the 2 different sizes. Also sent a message to a couple of vendors, no reply. Very frustrating... Even ASA AR1 in 17" size seems hard to find with the correct offset. I have reached out to 3 different vendors, no reply.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock